How do you justify using this thing as anything more than a text editor? I’m not talking about the editing model...

How do you justify using this thing as anything more than a text editor? I’m not talking about the editing model, but the program itself. i need to install a bunch of plugins and write 100 lines of config to get features that just work out of the box in something like VS Code and don’t feel like a dirty hack. I don’t want to bash vim, it’s just that every time I try to make the switch to it as my daily programming tool I quickly start to question why do I bother when there are alternatives that just work.

Attached: 42997B22-8A93-4D65-8ECB-50E987B57F0F.png (1200x1202, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/VSCodeVim/Vim
thehackernews.com/2019/06/linux-vim-vulnerability.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it ends up being a lot faster when you get used to it.

I don't use vim because im lazy, but I find myself adding 10+ hotkeys to whatever IDE I'm using anyway, so I might as well have just started with it in the first place.

vim is a meme because gen x'ers only had it. there was no complex ides back then. thus it and emacs just became a standard.

Vim is shit. Vim has neither good features nor is minimal. Literally no point, just use nano or vi. If you want a vim experience on more complex enviroment, use kakoune, emacs with evil, geany with vi emulation... any of these will do the job better.
Vim is bloated as fuck (just the editor is almost as big as emacs i think, and doesn't do jack shit in comparison) and needs even more extensions (written in a shitty language) to be less shitty.

>How do you justify using this thing as anything more than a text editor?
um, it's a text editor

github.com/VSCodeVim/Vim
you win

Fuck off, retard. Nobody said vim is minimal like vi, but it's clearly flexible enough for pretty much anything editing related, as evidenced by the amount of plugins and daily users it has. Kakoune is nice but not different enough to gain a community as big as Vim or Emacs, Emacs+evil is ok but the ecosystem isn't made with vi-like bindings in mind and that shows (tons of different distributions and packages trying to fit together or not, change one keybinding and they all break). I won't even bother explaining why Geany isn't comparable to Vim.

>I need to install a bunch of plugins and write 100 lines of config to get features that work out of the box in something like VS Code

plug#begin()
Plug 'w0rp/ale'
plug#end()

Its language and plugin junkies are a problem, but Vim has great core features in my experience. Lists, navigation history, undo trees, the buffer/window/tab heirarchy, and multiple registers are all awesome besides just the mode system that everyone talks about.

if it makes me write code faster, i use it

IMO it's not worth it to learn vim for actually using it.

Rather, it's useful because you'll learn very efficient commands for editing text which you can use in pretty much every other editor/IDE by simply installing a plugin, thus also avoiding the need to relearn how to do simple shit like selecting multiple lines. As a bonus, you'll also be able to edit efficiently on most Linux servers and even embedded devices.

In my opinion, vi keybinding plugins do not replace the Vim editing model. Vim keybindings work best when you can record them in a macro, combine them with ex commands, and make use of its navigation systems. Other editors generally don't have key-based register macros or complete systems of commands and navigation movements intended to work with Vim's repeatable editing system.

Some of the better emulators do, the vscode one even runs neovim in the background to support ex commands.

At that point why not just use Vim?

are you the ipad kid? why the fuck is it you always have spaces after your apostrophes?

Better plugin support and less fiddly configuration for one.

> get vim because Jow Forums seems to like it so much
> hmm, seems there is no autocompletion of anykind
> install plugin for autocomplete
> its slow as fuck

I think the best advice is to never listen to what you retards say. An IDE is simply better.

You can press ctrl-n to start completing the words in open buffers. 9 times out of 10 that is enough. Regardless, it's not "better than", it's simply something you've become used to an reliant on. I am used to the line completion in Vim and miss it when I'm forced to use other editors.

I use it through SSH. It's pretty comfy once you get used to it.

I used to use vim on the terminal. Now I just use code-sever to run an instance of vscode on my server.

>caring about muh bloat
How are those 64KB memories holding up, grandpa?

Modal editing is just an overkill feature, if you ask me.

Howso?

LOL, i’m all for minimalism, but vi can’t even undo multiple edits. It lacks visual block mode, which is a godsend for indenting/commenting several lines in a row. You can’t go into insert and backspace at the beginning of a line to merge it with the previous line. You have no indication of which mode you’re in.
I’m all for a lighter, faster, leaner vim alternative, but vi is not the answer.

Oh and let’s not forget text objects. di( for deleting all inside parentheses. di[ for brackets, di{ for curlies, and dip for paragraphs.

NOOOOOOO
NO NO NO
VimBros WTF
thehackernews.com/2019/06/linux-vim-vulnerability.html

Attached: cries.jpg (633x758, 67K)

OP is a faggot, as per usual.

>vim
>bloat

Attached: worried-laughter.png (520x678, 301K)

> as resource heavy as emacs
> doesn't do shit in comparison

Wow even neovim? fuck.

>autocompletion
Try not being a nigger retard monkey and actually write the code yourself.

>patched 19 days ago
>article isn't even a day old
Ok, kid.

Attached: 1559000379.jpg (308x460, 24K)

i never bothered checking what's different between vi and vim but yeah that pretty much implies vi defenders are turbo autists seeking self validation in obscure software

I guess you realized that suckless is bloat. Come to white man territory and install Emacs.