Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: aQRKe1z_460s.jpg (460x332, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=337919
docs.python.org/3/
diveinto.org/python3/
ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/
docs.python.org/3/library/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if i insert my ssd in another computer with different bios will it boot the same way?

i did just this about a week ago

boots fine, but can't do windows updates lole

Read second OP paste.

I'm looking for the name of a Firefox addon I used to have: Really all it did was show Youtube (and some other popular video site (vimeo, dailymotion, etc.)) titles as hyperlinks, and allow a small resizable video player to pop out when you click the link.

I can't for the FUCKING LIFE OF ME remember this and it has been ages. I need some type of functional working script to hyperlink my goddamn youtube videos and show me a title name instead of a URL.

Pic unrelated.

Attached: WHY.jpg (520x439, 60K)

Using KDE I just updated chrome and now every time I suspend my Laptop all media stopped plays when turning it back on. Was there a new update that changed kde media player? Or is this just a chrome thing?

Thank you for making me waste an hour researching Windows scrollbar behaviour.
Here's the Chrome bug discussing their decision to use standard Windows behaviour on all platforms, complete with subsequent drama: bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=337919
The standard Windows behaviour is that scrollbars should snap back when moving the mouse 135px outside the bar on either side. But here's the kicker: there is no standard behaviour for what to do when overscrolling up or down.
>Explorer, Notepad and some other applications snap back when overscrolling by some amount (looks like 50px or so)
>Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Office and other modern applications never snap back on vertical overscroll
Chrome went with approach 1, for some reason. I think this was a bad idea BUT it's technically "standard" behaviour, so any bug I file will probably just be marked WONTFIX.
I guess the next step is to get the Chromium source, fix this issue somehow and send the developers a patch.

So I started an internship today and their eventual goal for me is to use SAP HANA and create a dashboard of indicators and graphs for some manufacturing machines. I have zero experience with databases and SAP stuff. Any suggestions on where to learn?

I recently replaced my mechanical HDD after about 8 years so I'm unfamiliar with the noises that are normal with this brand but when I shut down and the disk powers down it kinda yelps, like a high picthed noise. Is that normal?

My Windows 7 install is kind of fucked, External HDD has a dirty bit and chkdsk is giving me an error, leaving it in read-only. windows update doesn't work for some reason.

I only need windows for Ableton Live. Is there a solution I'm not seeing?

what updates do I do on a fresh 7 install to not fuck it up?

thanks in advance.

Do fingerprint scanners on phones tank the battery?

Just got a new phone and seems pretty cool feature, but I prefer my battery life

want more input on projects to do over break:
1. Learn OpenGL and make a basic 3D physics engine
2. Make a chatroom/forum with a twist
3. Build a real twitch drone (from rainbow six siege) that can be controlled via Bluetooth by a phone

Is this a good book to learn python?

Attached: lphw.png (646x850, 525K)

Apparently, the next version of W10 is optional.
Will it stop updating useless crap for things I don't use if I refuse to install this service pack level update?

Zed Shaw is generally considered an idiot. The book isn't that good even disregarding that. Consider the following instead:
>the Python documentation, which includes an adequate tutorial: docs.python.org/3/
>Dive Into Python 3: diveinto.org/python3/
>writing a game or something in it

PowerPCfags I need your help. I can't apt update or do anything and I don't know what to type in sources.lst.
I tried:
deb ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ sid main

but it's not working, pls halp

how does a digital equalizer work? audio signals in computers are discrete - they are a series of amplitues recorded at a certain frequency, let's say 44100 Hz. So, a digital audio equalizer would simply lower the sample rate to become a lowpass filter? like, lowering the sample rate to 1200 would only pass frequencies up to 1200 hz?

I have two wifi network cards in my laptop, one external usb card for long range antenna (client) and a second one which is built in which I use for sharing internet access for all my other devices locally like smartphones (hotspot).
The problem is, they are in two separate networks. So even if I can browse internet from my smartphone, I can't download torrents from it. How can I solve it? I'm on linux mint.

this is kind of a dumb question to ask here so i'm sorry, please don't reply im going to do research on my own

k fixed it myself nvm but now apt is complaining about "signature couldn't be verified because the public key is not available"

I'm in the minority here because I don't think Shaw is an idiot. He just got some fame for being such an edgelord. Also SQLite as a config file? wtf... I digress

The best book is just the stdlib docs on the python site. When I was first learning Python I'd just click around on the docs in the stdlib and learn something new every time.
Go here docs.python.org/3/library/index.html click on some lib that seems interesting to you. Try to make it work. Repeat.

???

I've just had a breakdown from the realisation of how fucked up i'm/we're when it comes to computing freedom.
I've watched numerous Stllman's lectures and I even switched OS because of it. But damn I feel like it doesnt matter when I still have modern smartphone or occasionally use facebook.
Is there anyone of you who went fully free?
No phone, no nonfree software, no SaaS accounts revealing your identity, yet somehow still live in a digital life, not isolated?
What do?
Im at the point where im even willing to pay for Jow Forums pass just to avoid google's captcha

Thanks! ill start with the tutorial in the site and go from there. Ill also avoid Bradshaw I guess.

>Im at the point where im even willing to pay for Jow Forums pass just to avoid google's captcha
Woah, don't get too crazy now. I should do what you're doing too.

To get ur updates.

most likely not

delete the current keys
look up how to do it I forgot how

At the end of the day, most of us can't afford to die on the hill of freedom. I just want to make money, pay my taxes and talk to anons on the internet. If I have to surrender my personal data to Google and give Microsoft root access to my computer, so be it. Maybe if I ever I retire I'll give a shit.

The only way to get uncucked is if you don't use any network
even then you're processor is cucked

>what updates do I do on a fresh 7 install to not fuck it up?
That's covered in the OP, but windows 7 is about to effectively die. It's not worth going through the trouble this late in the game.

Also it sounds like your drives might need replacing. Run cristaldiskinfo and see if they come up "Good".

Not for 18 months. Everyday updates are provided for old Feature Upgrades for about a year and a half.

I just spent two hours compiling Chromium just to discover that they changed this behaviour.
Update to Chrome 75 and everything should be fine.

Attached: 1553882640941.png (674x432, 28K)

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but I've started learning wordpress and want to put a chat room on my site with the ability to add more rooms with designations.

I'd also like the ability for people to choose a name and start using it without having to sign up.

I'd also like users to be able to post videos and photos, and have the chat service or server auto-delete them after 30 minutes (or a designated time frame).

Can someone recommend me a wordpress plug in that can do all this? This is not for customer support. This is to encourage photo sharing on a travel site I want to make.

Attached: Coffee.jpg (226x166, 8K)

I get this when I try to run irssi with torsocks:
[...socks5 libc connect: Connection refused(in so]

ok now it says im banned from freenode
>tor exit node must not allow connections to freenode

Why does instagram never give me audio notifications? Only the text
I dont have dnd on
I have selected a ringtone that is part of the standard android system, not a custom one on extra storage
Instagram has all notification permissions checked in the settings>notifications as well as within the app for the people i've turned notifications on for.
All volume sliders are at maximum volume
There is literally no reason it should not be on
On android 9

I don't understand bit flags.

a = 0x01
b = 0x02
c = 0x04
d = 0x08
e = 0x10

These are real flags from a game. If the return value is 0x10, how does the program know that means e and not a combination of b and d? I thought the idea was that every combination would yield a unique result.

Why on earth does postgres reserve the keyword 'id"? What the fuck else am I supposed to call my primary key?

Oh, I'm a fucking idiot, it's in hex so e = 16. Disregard me I have brain damage.

Index, you aren't an animal.

Hexadecimal.
0x10 is 16.

hex bits
0x01 00000001
0x02 00000010
0x04 00000100
0x08 00001000
0x10 00010000

Isn't it a common convention to call your primary key "id"? Why would they choose to reserve that?

bump

It seems like plugins are written in php. I would say write it yourself, the experience will be absolutely invaluable to you if you plan on making your own website, or even maintaining one.

If you've never programmed before it may seem daunting but php is one of the easier languages, documentation is endless and you can start small and add features bit by bit. Try first making one that lets you enter a name into a field and then recall that name elsewhere and sorry if my assumption that you're new is incorrect.

Is there an easy way to underfoot a 590 on Linux? 350W power draw is a bit much for my 450W PSU.

When you installed the drivers for your card it should have come with a program of some kind where you can set the clock speed. If for some reason you can't get that working then you certainly can do so in your bios before your OS even loads.

Look up normal clock speeds for that card and then you can scale it back a bit. That being said it won't make a massive difference, I would invest in a new power supply they should be replaced every 2 years or so anyway.

I have two stupid questions.

How long until we use fiber optics and light to do calculations instead of electricity and wires? Not only is light faster, you could encrypt more data by using different wavelengths or combined wavelengths of light.

Second dumb question

Why is the school of thought to use as little power as possible? Why not make a vidya card that uses 1000 watts of power for the gaymer who wants more FPS and doesn't care about consumption?

Why do people say that raid 1 isnt a replacement for conventional backups?

why does it seem like more expensive = less stable when it comes to software?

Attached: a.png (690x456, 75K)

if you delete the file or if you get hit by ransomware you cannot recover, etc etc

Because a drive dying is only one way for you to lose data. You could accidentally delete or overwrite files you didn't mean to, for instance, and in RAID1 you'll then have... two copies of the damaged file, and none of how it was before. Also backups can be off-site, so if lightning strikes or your house gets burgled or whatever then you can still get your stuff back.

If your RAID1 is from a fancy filesystem like ZFS or Btrfs, you can get some but not all of the benefits of "real" backups if you work a bit at it. Those can find and correct bit-rot (traditional RAID can't), and you can use snapshots to keep a history of files and make it harder, though not impossible, to accidentally clobber something. They still won't protect you from your PSU blowing up and frying both drives at once though.

Has anyone here applied the 1903 windows update? I'm worried it will hose my system.

Planning a big ole upgrade. CPU, GPU, mobo, the works. Am I going to need a fresh install of everything I currently have on my hard drives?

>Am I going to need a fresh install of everything I currently have on my hard drives?
no.
if you use windows 7 or earlier, you should sysprep before changing hardware, for windows 8 and up, it shouldn't matter

well ask yourself, why might the software be expensive? If its expensive that's probably because it does something fairly specialized that not a ton of people need to do. Those people probably need that job done so bad that they'll pay a lot of money for it. And, famously, niche tasks tend to be difficult for other companies to break into (muh industry standard!) and tend not to attract much interest from open-source folks.

So in other words, they tend to be monopolies. They can treat you like the cable company does: even if they give you an absolute heap of shit, they know that you don't really have anywhere else to go. So they don't bother with the expensive and time-consuming business of giving you something that's not shit. See also: "enterprise" shit like SAP, Peoplesoft, etc.

nope

>Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903
>Successfully installed on 08/06/2019
runs fine HOWEVER -> If you are on a windows "N" version you need to install a new media pack.

Nah I'm on Win10. Thanks friend

eh, not sure if SW is in that camp
while it is /relatively/ niche, it does have strong competition
of course, it is the kind of software which is /very/ difficult to switch to something else, even if another program does everything you need it to, existing documents can't be used in other programs

Thanks, I'm using Enterprise and I'm going to update now.

Hey friends. I have two laptops which I don't know what to do with but want to make use of. The first is a older old release acer netbook that came out around 2010 I think. I've never owned a netbook so can someone please tell me how can this be of use to me? I heard that the netbook is slow as fuck.

The second laptop is an dell Inspiron which has the "blue light of death" which I don't know how to fix. Furthermore, this laptop is one of dell's most infamous releases as all the specific models of this laptop has the hinges break and screen come apart. I remember sending this to dell and being ripped off as the fix was only as temporary one and the hinges broke. Can someone please tell me how I can salvage this laptop? Any out of the box ways you'd do to make use of this? I barely fucking used it

They sound like lost causes. Get a used thinkpad on ebay or craigslist. I still use my t420. I've replaced the battery, dvd, ram, cpu, and cooler. Runs great after 5 years of use by me.

>Not only is light faster
It isn't. There are some advantages to photon based processors, but also a lot of hurdles that have to be overcome, size being one of them. Also it would have to be a hybrid for the foreseeable future.

The generation that liked calling themselves "netbook" were pure torment. Throw it out the window and hope it doesn't come back.

For some reason my internet connection is super slow on my Ubuntu machine on my Thinkpad 420 but the same is happening to another laptop running Debian or windows. Disabling ipv6 does nothing. This just happened randomly at night. But that day on my other laptop I was running different types of crypto mining software but nothing happened during that. Hours after I quit them is when it happened. The last thing I was doing was setting up an Emby server. My brothers desktop running W10 runs fine,our phones connection is fine. Only my laptops have this issue. But my brother used a wireless adapter while my laptops use Intel imbedded wifi adapters or built in. Can anyone help me? What's interesting is at first it was only my Thinkpad laptop running Ubuntu that it happened too but my other laptop running W10 was working fine at the time. Only after Installing Debian, Ubuntu and W10 again I started having the same issue.

I have a monitor with a VGA port only and 2 signal coverters HDMI and Display port , which one should I use.?

Yea, I'm new. I've had issues with learning php and applying it to wordpress before. So I thought a plugin would just be easier/faster. But I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

Between those two it doesn't matter, although if it's a modern card and they're not active converters, it won't do you any good.

Thanks for the responses. I do have an active thinkpad. With the other two just laying in the closet, I wanted to make some unique use of them like an extra monitor or server or something at all really. Never been in this position before, hence the questions

fyi, emby went proprietary
if you want a maintained foss fork, check out jellyfin

There's things I would do with a hacked router I wouldn't do with a netbook.

Why does Adobe Reader mangle PDFs of magazines?
If I read them on archive.org using their reader, they look fine. The problem isn't the scans themselves, but once opened in Adobe Reader they become a horrible blurry mess like they've been run through jpeg compression several additional times, with random lines in photographs and artwork highlighted in black and so on.

My best guess would be that it's trying to use OCR on images, but I'm not sure.

Yea I learned that quick. But I'm still puzzled how I'm having the same problem on a separate machine when running Debian

It's a modern card yes ,what do you mean it wont do me any good?its the only option i have right now to use the shitty monitor with gtx 1070

I mean have you tried it yet? You need an active converter. Passive won't work.

Does anybody that use weechat urlbar.py know how to actually open/copy a url from the list.

Im retarted

I can't fucking take it anymore /g
Every board outside of /a is a frog/wojack cancer ridden mess and I can't filter them all

How do I use Jow Forums x to filter ALL filenames containing the words "pepe" and "wojack"??
Not just specific file names but a broad reach of them?
Most of the cancerous posters have obvious default filenames they got from who fucking knows where like "Jow Forums_meme_fuckingkillthisposterplease"
Please help. I'd like to browse things other than /a.

Attached: Every Fucking Day.jpg (606x861, 719K)

Do I still need a swap partition when I install Arch? I have 16 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD, using >16 GB of space just for swap is a bit excessive.

you shouldn't have swap on an SSD
I'm running a swapless installation of arch right here and am posting off of it, why wouldn't it work?

Every Arch install I've seen has a root partition thats 300M-600M, a swap partition that's between 1x to 2x of your RAM, and the rest for your system. How I'm I suppose to partition an SSD then?

Attached: 700.jpg (200x313, 10K)

If ext4 is so good why doesn't Microsoft and Apple use it?

>Also SQLite as a config file?
Perfectly reasonable so long as you don't want it to be user editable.

As the SQLite documentation states: "SQLite does not compete with client/server databases. SQLite competes with fopen()"

Insufficient fuck to break with backwards compatibility.

wouldn't the ideal solution be to just use your phone as a remote for transmission on your laptop?

Supposing UEFI.
For full disk encryption do 150M /boot/efi
250M /boot
rest for one single part.
then make LVMs (/, /home/,...)

the issue with jellyfinn currently is lack of client support

should i have publicly hosted servers on a different network than my personal devices?

>as a remote for transmission on your laptop?
You mean to run transmission (torrent client) on laptop and control it remotely from the phone? Yeah, that could be done, but that's actually the opposite of what I want, which is to use my phone as sort of a torrent box. And I don't know if that would be more convenient anyway.
Either way, what I'm really interested in is not really a solution fot that problem, but an answer to the question of how to merge those two wifi networks on my computer, as if they were connected through a switch. Just for the sake of it.

So just got a random group text from someone I dont know. No links or anything but still random.

But I opened it up an android text app opens all group messages as multimedia. Which made me wonder if this is a scam or virus tactic that's being used? Anyone seen something like this before?

Attached: 1556330445485.png (678x718, 640K)

Lads, so my phone display is broken. I kinda need couple of data there. This phone is Samsung J5 Pro 2017 and it uses 5 pin micro USB.
If I want to project the screen to TV with using mouse, is it possible if I use micro USB to USBs adaptor then use USB to HDMI adaptor?

secondary stupid question: what are the risks of using W7 past jan 2020 when support stops. for example people still use xp, i assume it's a theoretical security risk.

I got cristaldiskinfo thanks for the recommendation, I got one caution but on a separate drive to the read only one, which is good,( i know it has a bad sector). does this have solutions or just monitors the drives?

Is this the most updated mouse guide? The wiki says it's bad, but then it lists alternatives and says they're bad too. Intellimouse is affordable, but would it feel "slow" at standard speed settings?

Attached: file.png (1233x1453, 1.09M)

How do use a search engine to find results from home media servers that are left open to the public?

Wouldn't VLC support it?

>what are the risks of using W7 past jan 2020
All kinds of malware, from Ransomware to keyloggers to literal botnets.

>people still use xp
They do, but unless it's exclusively for offline gaming, they're retards.

>does this have solutions or just monitors the drives?
It tells you when a drive has encountered errors that put it at an elevated risk of dying. We never know when a drive is actually going to die or experience partial data loss, but we know that certain things indicate increased risk. If you have proper backups (which you always should), it isn't really a problem. I'd also run an sfc /scannow from an administrative command line to see if any OS files are fucked.

Why can't 4channel read webp. images?

Best audio player for KDE?
Oh and video player?

Attached: 1545583525305.jpg (1920x1440, 442K)

>G500
I didn't realize it was held in such high regard. Mine was a first run model and I've been keeping it running since. It's gotten to the point that the plastic has smoothed out and the pattern is nearly gone if that means anything to it notoriety

What's the difference beteeen Python 2 & 3 and is it a big difference as if they're both different langs?

Should i avoid 3TB disks? i was planning to get a WD blue should i rather go with 2 or 4 or 3 version is good?