>they say "that shouldn't have happened"
>they say "use *insert open source alternative here* instead
>can't swap software coz three years of work made on mendeley
>2 days of troubleshooting go by
>decide to install fedora
>2 hours go by
>everything works perfectly
>still a footfag though

After all of this I discovered that I'm not autistic enough to use Gentoo.

Attached: 1508778044936.png (633x758, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

overleaf.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>lecturer said "use online editors"
>>it runs better on Linux they say
pick one. is not hat you aren't autist, the problem is you are retarded

why didn't you just listen to your instructor?

Don't get it, latex literally takes a minute to configure and you can get vim plugins with preview and auto compile and all that fun stuff
Also why do you install online editors, just use it online wtf

OP here
I know I'm retarded and I didn't go for online editors. Too boring.

Why would you use win-only miktex instead of texlive? The distribution literally makes no differenece

why the fuck does the lecturer care what you use to you write your papers?

In this case

> be clever
> install any easy distro
> install texlive
> install any editor, such as texstudio
> that's it

I can absolutely understand that (as a chemEng student).

It looks absolutely professional while being an open format to split formatting and content while being able to do everything directly in latex.

troff does all that.
Again why would the professor care if I used troff over latex?

Oh sure, troff/groff is fine. I just assumed that 'not latex' is word.

And, if your students hand in reports written in word, well... your studens gotta learns some useful skills or at least hand in as an open format (e.g. odt)

overleaf.com/

math degree here, can say installing latex is SOMETIMES tricky, especially if you need to use some external/special packages. I've run it on mac and linux, no issues I couldn't resolve but some issues were harder than others.

Overleaf might be your salvation OP as you seem too dumb to do anything yourself.

imagine being so dumb you start fucking up after the third step already

Adding to this: most universities have licenses for overleaf pro. Just sign up with your uni email.

No one here uses Gentoo. 80% of users still will run Windows. Out of penguinfags, I think it's fair to guess that most are on Arch or Fedora, or some permutation thereof. I can't speculate on MacOS.
[spoiler]If you claim to use gentoo, post neofetch fag[/spoiler]

>Oh sure, troff/groff is fine.
i'm guessing not for his professor.
Again, why would a professor give two fucks. Just hand in a PDF.

> no one here uses gentoo
Sorry to disappoint you
(Quite old screenie, sorry for that)

Attached: fakebusy.png (1920x1080, 581K)

Well, I assumed that you'd compile troff to pdf.

>riced out gentoo
We know you do nothing productive.

Imagine using Gnome on Gentoo. Doesn't it require systemd, or did they get around that somehow?

We're both on Jow Forums.

Could be. Gentoo with systemd is not necessarily harder to setup than openrc, though.

Of course you would.
But if the final deliverable is PDF why would the professor give two shits how it was generated?
What if I wanted to handwrite postscript and generate a PDF? It just doesn't makes sense.

Install nixos brainlets

Nah bruh, using Pop_OS!

Okay. Sending a pdf is fine (if not mandatory). However, many word fags send .docx files, which is just embarassing and an no-go.

Redpill me and I will

You could write this for ANY system and it would still be your fault. It werx for me so Gentoo isn't the problem but that's beside the point.

If you have a responsibility to get shit done you do it with a known working system. In this case that would be whatever system you have with a browser and an online editor. If you want to try a new system to achieve whatever you need to do you set it up and try it out in your own spare time or otherwise allocated time for experimenting and you only start using it for real when you know that it works and that you can work with it.

What you just did was trying to use a system you're unknown with into production without having it set up at all. If you ever tried pulling bullshit like that at a job you'd be out of a job immediately.

The only excuse for trying to use something unproven if you don't have any proven systems yet and you don't know a way to get a proven system. Otherwise experimenting belongs to your own time.

My friend, after some research I have found that this is inferior as it is backed by the apt package manager which does not support side effect free packages or rolbacks