>package in aur
>only runs in arch
>package in zypper
>only runs on openSUSE
>package in portage
>only runs in gentoo
>package once in guix
>runs on every single linux
>why would you do three times as much work for yourself user?

Attached: Guix_logo.svg.png (1200x1090, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/sAJNxGG
nixos.org/nixops/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why wouldn't you just use chef or puppet or ansible to manage system configurations?

These are just boomer buzzword memes for business people. They don't actually solve the problem.

it literally is perfect for open software just waiting for people to realize it

that said, flatpak works with binaries, so its (unfortunatelly) perfect for closed software and I expect it to become the standard

elaborate how far they are with reproducable builds.

they seem to work pretty well in my experience. Not sure what your issue is.

Those programs don't solve the same kind of problem that guix is trying so solve. Guix is trying to make a cross platform package management with immutable snapshots and that don't have dependency issues. it aims to add a repository of software available to install.

Ansible puppet and chef are for managing modules across servers. They don't solve the problem of dependency hell. They don't offer vast package repositories.

Attached: 1560146776132.png (633x758, 696K)

What's the benifit over nix?

based && GNU/Pilled

Attached: rms_smug.jpg (800x636, 112K)

Being written in scheme

This is literally just nix for people who dont understand nix

how hard is it to write a package in guix
I'm too brainlet for all those lisp shits

Use nixos, guix is build on nix so you will use it either way and it doesn't use a shitty general language to make things more complex.

This. Nix is a fucking mess and the only advantage is that it had more time and contribution for packaging. Guix makes sense and even the most retarded of retards can package stuff for it (i know i can). It uses Gnu Guile (scheme lisp implementation), which actually makes sense instead of nix's shell script-like stuff

My first package was literally taking the official tutorial, copying it and changing links and names. I might do some videos and tutorials on it some day.

>shell script like stuff
Its a functional language which is closer to haskell

You are aware that guix is nix?

Some packages also have stuff similar to bash on it, or bash commands.

Packages can use bash scripts as builders, or whatever the author chooses.

It is not nix. It's based on nix. writing guix packages os way easier. I tried looking at some nix packages i wanted on guix, and many of them looked like a complete mess, changing between the functional programming and shell all the time (this made me confused af). Guix makes sense and is idiot dev proof

Lisp is just literally the peak of syntax

You dont need to look at the packages to use nix however for programming and understanding the packages you should learn the nix language.

(you)

Guix isn't Nix, it's an implementation of Nix.

Using scheme for writing your system configuration to me seems insane compared to using a simple domain specific language like Nix.

You might think that you want a general purpose language but I think that just makes it harder to use and easier to mess up.

How is the Guix community? NixOS is quite friendly, easy to get help for and has a shit ton of activity on github, it's a joy to be part of to be honest.

)

Is the community just on IRC? Im having a hard time finding more off-topic and relaxed places to hang with people who are interested in nixos.

#nixos on freenode has 895 people in it right now

I have a nixos discord with a few people in it

discord.gg/sAJNxGG

Fair enough. I get that Guix adds an extra repository of its own, but I thought the point of it was mainly to define your desired system config in some lisp file, or was that just the dedicated distro?

never heard of them

They're configuration management tools, often used to set up servers with packages, their configs, running services, groups and users, access rights, etc.

Does guix have a nixops eqv?

>package in portage
>only runs in gentoo
Literally retarded. Imagine spreading misinformation like this.

I assume you mean nixos. For guix it's called GuixSD, or maybe it's Guix System now. It's actually made by GNU and it's one of those free software only distros.

"nixops" like "devops" its what I use to deploy my work c:
nixos.org/nixops/

Those are for automation based on a customized "playbook" not multi architecture package management with individual user permissions and rollbacks.

Sounds comfy.
Make a short youtube playlist of beginner stuff for us babbis! :}

Another worthless tranny project.

That is only one aspect of Guix.
You are talking about the ability to save a whole systems runtime to a single output file to reload onto any system.

You can also have it automatically cross built for another architecture like ARM/MIPs and have the same environment.
Its main goal is package management though.
It has versioning control, snapshotting, isolated users like mentioned aboved, and loads of other stuff.

I can have two versions of firefox installed for example without conflict on the same user.

I can also have a totally different version on a seperate user without the access to the previous versions the other user has.

Guix is basically the AUR but for every single distro. Hot damn.

Attached: 1560153714267.jpg (612x612, 18K)

I'll probably be Setting up a website and sharing the vid with a magnet link or peertube. I'll post here on Jow Forums when it's ready

Discord tranny