What is the best linux distribution/subdistribution to use if i dont want spyware (fuck off ubuntu shills) but im not...

What is the best linux distribution/subdistribution to use if i dont want spyware (fuck off ubuntu shills) but im not autistic enough to compile gentoo for half a year?

Attached: ADE6343E-DF13-4BDA-92D0-63B75797BAAB.jpg (2730x1536, 1.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Unironically Arch

Probably debian

How long did it take for you to build your own hardware?

>Unironically Arch
i sure can trust the neet-verified packages with 0 real world enterprise deployments

Lmao, someone should spread some malware in AUR because th Ach retards never check their binaries.

>0 real world enterprise deployments
not an argument

right, people who would get fired or even sued for letting malware inside a corporate network arent a valueable source of package review
and if it fails the code review all the network inspections going behind their firewalls doesnt mean anything
b-but on arch we have a community of neets doing their best, and if you use the aur you can review the pkgbuild dont worry user

Maybe five years ago I switched to NixOS and never looked back. It had a bit of a learning curve but there is enough material online to solve any problem. It is a mature enough system that they even have niche things like realtime audio production are pretty well covered.

It makes it very easy to customize your system to be whatever you want. Some of the things I use it for are hosting web services like gitlab and matrix/riot, building my own router (hostapd, dhcpd, nat, firewall and all that good stuff), software development, and producing and recording music.

I can get any machine to do any of the above just by moving my configuration files to it and running `nixos-rebuild switch`. So my setup has survived for years with only minimal work when a system upgrade deprecates or renames something. I've never had upgrades go well with other distros, and setting up a machine to host apps is a pain, usually requiring something like chef or puppet or docker.

I recommend reading up on it and giving it a shot, it's really a unique approach.

fedora, and ubuntu isn't spyware you sheep

Void because no systemd

>people who would get fired or even sued for letting malware inside a corporate network
you mean the upstream packages where arch gets literally all its packages from, and has made a strict point not to tamper with any of it?

>implying Archtards stick to that strict subset of AUR.

When did i mention fedora? Begone, systemDicksucker.

Attached: 7212BE35-9654-489A-9472-74A427EFA808.png (256x256, 381)

Not him but what matters is the last endpoint you get your packages from. It doesn't matter if debian reviews the package if you get it from Ubuntu your trust is put somewhere else. Also there's no reproducible builds, not yet at least.

if you install packages from AUR without looking at the PKGBUILD, your system deserves to be bricked

I don't install garbage distros, and having your system bricked is better than having it compromised.

that wasnt me replying, i couldnt care less about the aur and i would trust it more than binary packages after reviewing it
but do you trust the build system tho lel

Just installed fedora a couple days ago for 3D modelling and game engine programming, it is really stable and has up to date packages. I would recommend using fedora, it seems to be far more stable than Ubuntu.

Blender 2.8, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, and Vulkan API are running flawlessly.

>no reproducible builds
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive
Just be sure to configure your mirrorlists on install

>do you trust the build system
If you're going to be that particular, you might as well just install Gentoo

you didn't. you asked. his suggestion was fedora

Is compiling software the same thing as wriitng it?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>having your system bricked is better than having it compromised
this is incorrect

>systemd

Devuan, Artix