Okay, faggots, what's so good about plan9?

Okay, faggots, what's so good about plan9?

Does this thing have any software? Any drivers for a Lelnovo Memepad? A usable web browser?

Sell me on it.

Attached: 800px-Glenda_bunny_mascot_of_plan_9_from_bell_black.jpg (800x1021, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

man.9front.org/4/cwfs
man.9front.org/1/yesterday
debu.gs/entries/inferno-part-0-namespaces
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's shit. Don't use it.

If you have to ask, you're not ready.

it doesn't even have memory paging so it'll crash once the table is saturated. Plan9 was a harmful meme by Uriel.

try 9front.

Plan 9 is worse than snake oil. Plan 9 was created to make distributed computing look like snake oil. Like UNIX compared to Multics, it arrived years after working distributed computing protocols and is still worse. AT&T's "research" is inferior to what was already on the market and will always be, no matter how much time and money is put into it. It's "research" that results in an inferior OS, increases costs on every single level, decreases productivity, replaces simple solutions with complex problems (sometimes so complex that nobody believes they can be solved), makes things worse for users, and prevents real researchers from doing what works because of "compatibility" with horrible interfaces. UNIX and Plan 9 are anti-research that shit on 60 years of computer science. That's why UNIX technology like Plan 9, BSD, and Linux in 2019 is worse than what Multics did in the 60s. Plan 9 uses "tar" to copy directory hierarchies not for any "philosophical" reasons, but because the version of UNIX it was based on didn't have "cp -r" and they were not capable of adding it. It doesn't have dynamic linking because they weren't smart enough to copy Multics or another mainframe system that does it properly. It still has the same bc calculator and all that other UNIX bullshit. What sucks is when Plan 9 weenies point to something that UNIX does wrong and blame the entire thing itself instead of the broken UNIX implementation.

>At some point, Cirno became associated >with 9front. Details are sketchy.

>Pro

>• girl
>• has magical powers
>• associated with 9
>• upsets kfx
>• she is known to be the strongest

• she is known to be the strongest

Attached: cirno.jpg (600x631, 145K)

based

cringe and unixpilled

Attached: cirno1.gif (679x604, 36K)

Lel fuck off MIT tranny

It's the only sane option right now. Really a good architectured os and other operating systems are trying to reinvent its native features hacking layers togheter.
> UTF-8 everywhere
> everything is a file(system)
> private namespaces
> only one(1) protocol for communication (9P)

plus other "minor" pros:
> rio is a very good wm(no ricing and get the shit done)
> mouse chording (keyboardfag gonna hate it)
> good C dialect
> plumber (text can be plumbed to a specific program everywhere)
> factotum for auth
> 9term is kino and rc too
> Acme/Sam and structural regular expression
> 9P used in windows for linux file exchanging

The cons are the usual of relatively new os lacking manpower: hw support plus lack of virtualization and modern browser that support js, css.

Plan 9 (not plan9, Plan9, PLAN9 or every othere spelling) was made in the 80's, Uriel wasn't even in his father's balls.
You are confusing it with 9front, which is actually the de facto standard nowadays Plan 9 active front

It's an OS for people the either worked on it or that are autistic enough to use out-of-date, decades old technology not for any actual benefit, but for benefits that don't matter at the end of the day due to them not actually using it for anything worthwhile. Just use Linux or OpenBSD if you want an open-source OS with actual support that isn't a meme for aspies.

> decades old technologies
Such as unix or unix-based os? Plan 9 is more modern in its architecture so i don't know what are you talking about

>it is another "spoonfeed me thread where OP has no intention of acting upon info" episode

there isn't anything good about it
take unix, throw steroids on the worst part of it, throw aways those that made it usable, get plan 9

>Plan 9 is more modern in its architecture
so it's not from 60s, but rather from 70s? wow such modern

>openbsd
>not a meme for aspies
this nigga right here

it's from 80s and early 90s you drooling retard

It's there as a reminder of what could have been if system software research had continued with the Unix philosophy's approach to "everything is a file"

Linux in 2019 still doesnt have a lot of features plan 9 had in the eighties

>Okay, faggots, what's so good about plan9?
It is all about learning from the mistakes in Unix.

Attached: v4_logic_suit_by_perilous7_d52jbbj.jpg (2121x3000, 1.08M)

Well, 9front is a continuation of Plan 9 and its underlying philosophies. So you could give that a go.

Go to 9front and read stupid cia nigger

Both Unix and Plan 9 don't have features Multics and Lisp machines did in the seventies.

Where's your Usenet quote?

>Multics and Lisp machines did in the seventies.
UNIX-HATERS book aside, I'm still annoyed that common desktop filesystems don't provide shit like versioning out of the box. TOPS-20 from 1976 fucking does.

I know MS had that whole thing with shadow copies, but it wasn't seamless or well implemented.
I know people who keep files on Dropbox or some other cloud service just because those services do provide file versioning.

based

And lisp machine didn't have features that Plan 9 had.

Although it's not really versioning, in 9front you can dump the entire filesystem and mount in /n/dump. Then you can bind /n/dump/date/path or just cp the file you want to make the modification permanent

9bump

Never got around to using the versioning filesystem last time I ran p9, IIRC I had to make a fossil server dunno if it came already set up with 9front.
The whole idea of permanent storage is great, specially when it stores changes every N minutes.

man.9front.org/4/cwfs
man.9front.org/1/yesterday

Lots of claims, no proofs whatsoever. In short, your opinions can easily be discarded.

For everyone else, I recommend reading this article:
debu.gs/entries/inferno-part-0-namespaces
It explains better than I can about the advantages of Plan 9 and Inferno.

haha you're back again, absolutely seething this time. do you come to Jow Forums just to wait for mentions of plan 9?

yes dude, a group of people who wrote three entire operating systems and something like a dozen compilers mysteriously "can't implement recursive cp" despite such directory walking behavior existing all over the place in their work. in no way are you mentally disabled.

i prefer to crash than lock up and thrash the hard disk for ten minutes. it's impossible to run out of RAM on plan 9 anyway -- there is nothing to run.

Stop being a retard, fucking faggot. Plan9 become obsolete and unmaintend since 2002.

"stop being interested in research operating systems"

There's a lurker on Jow Forums that's been quite heavily working on his own software, as well as the folks at 9front.

Not even that guy, but the 9ants project came from Jow Forums circa 2009 and its still somewhat active today.

qt