/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1555134108487.jpg (600x776, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/WebM
help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/RealTimeKernel
git-scm.com/book/en/v2
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=showheadline&story=8210
github.com/DIYgod/RSSHub
github.com/RSS-Bridge/rss-bridge
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>nvidia driver update broke my xubuntu config
>or rather, XFCE/XFWM shat itself again
USE XFCE THEY SAID.
THERE'S A REASON IT HASN'T BEEN UPDATED IN FIVE YEARS THEY SAID.
IT'S STABLE, THEY SAID.

amdgpu does not have this problem

t. Lisa Su

can someone explain to me how the graphics stack in linux works?

Why the fuck does FFMPEG sometimes refuse to make file smaller

eg. going from mp4 twitter video to 3mb Jow Forums video

it just wont encode at 100kbits/200kbits if i place it to -b:v, it seems like 600kbits is some hard 'low limit'

but in some videos this doesn't happen and I can do 55 second clip at 100kbit

It apparently looks like that FFMPEG had bugged once I had tried conversions few times in a row and I had to restart the conversion in a new console.

W E I R D
E
I
R
D

It doesn't. See

So how is the SJW overtake of Linux going? I remember it being the hottest shit months ago but I couldn't remember hearing much beyond that. Redpill me Jow Forums and tell me if there's an alternative.

Attached: hithere.png (371x397, 177K)

aaargh the issue is with libvpx (VP8)
it wont allow me to go below 600kbits

libvpx (VP9) allows

Maybe you just used the wrong settings but I have to say my ffmpeg occassionaly bugs as well and I have no idea why. Sometimes it will straight up error out with something like 'codec vp8 not supported' but if I restart it runs the exact same command just fine.

install netbsd

I have tried
> ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libvpx -b:v 0.1M -c:a libvorbis output.webm
> ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libvpx -b:v 100K -c:a libvorbis output.webm

and they both give same 850kbits average bitrate

but when I use
> > ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libvpx-VP9 -b:v 0.1M -c:a libvorbis output.webm
I get around 280kbits average, I can really get any bitrate I want.

This is fucking driving me nuts and I'm stupid as shit and can't figure what I am doing wrong
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/WebM
Using this guide.

This software whats wrong with it. Its like it doesnt fucking listen to the -b:v command beyond a certain minimum kb threshold that it requires for resolution x length

the file is only 10mb itself, and not very high res, i've encoded larger files with larger res to lower webm filesize

this shit is broken and will not finish at lower size than 3707kB for the webm

I'm trying to set up tint2 on my desktop running i3. What is this black chunk on the top right of the screen? Can I remove it somehow? It's been there from the start.

Attached: 20190611_113943.png (527x210, 3K)

i'm tired. Fuck your 860kbits limitation and fuck FFMPEG.

AHAHAHAH REDDIT SPACING, GOTCHA
now im gonna tell you to btfo back to plebbit XDDDDDDD

Do you not have 100% in the panel_size? e.g.
panel_size = 100% 25

Confused grandma here. I’ve dual-booted Ubuntu Studio onto my laptop with Windows 10 on it.
In the Grub menu I see the option to load up either Ubuntu or Ubuntu (lowlatency).
What is Ubuntu (lowlatency)?

Attached: 1423587674026.jpg (534x400, 50K)

Has anyone one got one of those "roll for your OS" images?
I have a new laptop and want to try something different on it

I cant choose a distro.. I've tried mint, manjaro, pop os and i didnt like any of those. I want my distro to be ok with casual gaming ( csgo, random indie games, mc) , web app development, python and gimp.
Specs : i5 5th gen , gtx 960 2gb , 16gb ram. Im self studying IT(my lazy ass flunked hs and im goin to some sort of IT ged using Jow Forums knowlwdge) and i want to learn ethnical hacking. My linux knowledge isnt completely novice and i want to learn more every day.

It's the standard Ubuntu kernel with extra configuration options to minimize latency. It's mostly of interest for close to real-time operation in audio workshops, tasks like video/audio editing don't benefit from it. If you don't need it at all, you can remove the linux-lowlatency package and dependencies.
help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/RealTimeKernel

Install Gentoo

Is there any reason to prefer Debian Stable to Arch with the Guix package manager?

The problem is that my tint2 bar's width was already 100 % when I took that screenshot.

SJW companies go down because they hire dead weight employees on principle. This isn't really possible in a free software context, because it relies on volunteers. The most open-mouthed s-o-y-b-o-y in the world couldn't persuade a woman to program for free, and he can't give her a sinecure, so there's no harm done: ironically, free software is more subject to the invisible hand than the "free" market, with its quotas and manufactured demand. The decentralised nature of FOSS also makes it impossible to police its users in the way that a unified corporation or government can.

The irony is that many sO1bois don't even understand or support the real principles of free software.
They are just bootlickers for their favorite "tech" brand.

cowsay "$(<

try a 2pass encode - usually that will hit your target bitrate quite precisely

ELI5 how to version control my dotfiles using git without actually pushing them online. I just want to be able to see my changes.

Attached: 1553155596131.jpg (1024x683, 90K)

Give me some math or a script to turn a 10MB mp4 into a 4chen-friendly webm for /wsg/.
I'm seriously fed up with running ffmpeg 1000k times in order to hit 3.9MB with good quality.

Attached: 1557260582582.gif (400x225, 462K)

the first programmer was a woman

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-11 05-07-05.png (1366x768, 556K)

what's the joke in that pic?

You can just follow a typical guide for using git (especially regarding initialization of a local repository, creating commits, working with branches etc.) without adding any remote repositories or dealing with issues of distributed development.
For example, refer to the first three chapters and Appendix A of Pro Git how to get started.
git-scm.com/book/en/v2

Thanks.

>daemon

NOPE. Same result. Libvpx caps the bottom bitrate at 650kbits.

Does distro hopping hurt my ssd ???

Just tried 'webm.py' and it also couldn't lower the bitrate.

What the jesus fucking christ fuck

An Ubuntu derivative will have the most support and be easy to learn, just get regular Ubuntu or one of the DE based ones. I didn't like mint either but kubuntu and xubuntu are epic. If you want hacking just get kali on a drive/vm

So KDE 5.16 has implemented EGLStreams support. I have installed the KDE 5.16 Beta on Arch, also enabled Nvidia DRM etc.. but how the hell can I make use of it now. If I choose "KDE Wayland" on SDDM it's still the same slow shit.

How can I make zathura display only one page at the time? Like, with black bars on top and bottom. I know there's manual for it, but I failed to find such option.

Attached: 1559777518419.png (1280x1440, 52K)

It's not worse than downloading a lot of music or kinos. It's just a work for SSD.

How do I activate the application menu on KDE with super only? It works if I have nothing focused but that isn't good enough.

You also have to set the environment variable KWIN_DRM_USE_EGL_STREAMS=1. You probably want to add that to ~/.pam_environment.

Installed QT Creator (please don't ask) on Manjaro XFCE and decided to change to the dark theme. After restart all words in menu are white. How to fix this?

Fedora

Why would any sane person who is not payed for doing so unironically recommended Fedora?

> official distro of linus and systemdicks
> muh silverblue
> decent steam packages
> excellent corporate support
> cross-skill with centos
> shuttleworth can't watch you fap

Attached: 1558959047660.jpg (1267x1188, 149K)

>use Gentoo with Plasma openRC
>system running without any single fault since +10 years
Your fault for picking shitty os and software.

no snapshit
best Wayland support
updated packages

>Gentoo with Plasma and systemd
>running without problems for years
Using Gentoo is bliss.

>Like my openbox shortcuts
>Want to switch back to a DE for animations and little things like that that make the whole experience nicer
Am I autistic?

No you're just stupid. Get a hotkey program that works independently like xbindkeys and take your workflow ever to any de or wm.

KDE can use a similar right click shortcut menu fwiw

Reminder that if you use flatpack,snaps or appimages you should go back to windows.

enjoy your corporate cock

AppImages are incredibly convenient in live environments though. FlatPak is good for proprietary shit. Snap is total garbage, agreed there.

Thanks, it works but unfortunately it's still buggy.

If i dont want to litter my system with 50gb of python deps.

install guix

you don't seem to understand, that.s the exact reason why you should not use container images

I dont want 50gb of python deps cluttering and fucking up my /usr/lib for one program i might use a handfull of times a month
I also dont want o fuck around with 50gb of python deps that requrie specific versions that dep other files;
There is a reason i dont use slack and that is audo dep management.

>50gb
r u retarded

Try anything machine learning or neural network related. The deps get asinine

OK you're retarded.

kwin can do pretty much anything openbox can, and there's always xmonad on top of KDE if you're S+ class autism.

I've got a USB drive that suffered a dirty unmount or something. Shows on lsblk with no partition and RM=1. can't reformat it because the filesystem shows read only. fsck alternates between 'derp read only can't help you sir' and 'logical block size is not multiple of physical block size'. hdparms -r0 SAYS it toggles read only, but it doesn't actually do anything. what do?

Does grub break every time Windows updates?

any decent beginner linux that's not: Ubuntu, MX, Mint?

manjaro

Enough with the chit-chat, lets get some grub going!

Stupid question but I want to manage and provision my VMs with Foreman, do I create a VM for Foreman server or do I run Foreman on the host machine (the host machine that runs the other vms).

Attached: hellofrens.png (850x659, 31K)

GNU/Windows

I'm wary of arch linux, isn't it too elitist?

manjaro may be built on top of arch, but you'd never know it unless you went digging in terminal on purpose. they have gui and presets and autodetection for everything. it's one of GNU/linux's babymodes.

seriously though, what distribution is Torvalds on?

any other babbymodes for arch?

It's in full swing whenever Jow Forums stormniggers get the itch to drown the Jow Forums in recruitment bait threads. I guess mining twitter for offending posts must make them tired every now and then and we can enjoy the odd peace and quiet over here...

Peppermint

only with non-free repos available

Attached: 12321.png (126x196, 45K)

Debian debates Wayland versus X.Org
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=showheadline&story=8210

my arch pacstrap is failing on some linux-firmware package, saying that it can't write the file to my perfectly good 400GB+ freshly-formatted HD partition. what gives? every other package before it worked just fine

How's Debian unstable for a regular desktop use? I'm on arch right now but I always feel like it will brake anytime (even if I didn't have any major problem so far). Also I'd prefer not having to use the aur.

I was looking for a free website to make rss feeds for website without feeds and I found a bunch but they either have long refresh rates or spam in the feed itself so I thought why not just use my pi to selfhost an rss feed since it's on 24/7?
cool. is there something I can already use? I don't want to reinvent the wheel

Android

Fedora, but why would you care?

The thing is, if you make a site scraper service, corps will block it, so your only choice is limiting update intervals.
Try these:
github.com/DIYgod/RSSHub
github.com/RSS-Bridge/rss-bridge

Thanks user. Now to dive into endlessly comparing DEs and GTK themes

I installed manjaro kde but it doesnt recognize I have bluetooth, how to fix?
I have bluetooth stuff installed just no devices, which I do have

>tfw arch finally became unstable for me
What does /fglt/ think of OpenSUSE Tumbleweed?
I'm liking KDE with it a lot so far.

install gentoo

Guix

Guix

Hi anons, is there a way to set move as the default drag and drop action in KDE? I really don't like that context menu, 99% of the time I'm moving files, not copying them. I don't want to hold shift to do something so common like moving a file

>weed

Attached: tfw ricing while high.png (512x512, 193K)

There's no takeover, they just wanted to piss some nerds off.
Nonetheless, the Linux project has been tainted forever.

brainlet friendly version
-b:v #M
where # = 8 * limit in megabytes / length in seconds
always round down

ex. 24 second 3MB webm = 24/24 = 1.0M bitrate
48 second 4MB webm = 32/48 = 0.66M bitrate

if ffmpeg still uses a higher average bitrate, retry with # * ( resulting bitrate / target size )

additionally, if you want to add sound, then you need to use a lower size limit in the equation