Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad?

Attached: gnome-logos.png (640x240, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

passwordstore.org).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, people just like to hate it because it makes them feel like aren't conformists

No, it's pretty nice
I think Cinnamon and Unity are better tho, shame that Canonical dropped Unity

A

Does cinammon use more ram than the latest version of gnome(I believe it's 3.32)?

dunno but Cinnamon on Mint felt a little snappier than Gnome on Ubuntu to me

Yes

>a fucking foot
Its a miracle stallman doesn't eat pieces of this software

It used more than GNOME 3.30 on my machine, but it's rather difficult to find recent benchmarks.

No. Personally, I dislike the defaults, but contrary to popular belief, GNOME is very friendly towards customisation. It's not perfect but I've never been happier with my desktop.

It’s garbage, use KDE if you need a desktop environment. But you don’t need a desktop environment.

>But you don’t need a desktop environment.
Most want one though.

what the fuck did user mean by this

It's gotten better

I haven't used it in 2 years but it was pretty shit back then. Did they add thumbnails to the file picker yet or was cutting more features from Nautilus higher priority?

It isn't bad but it isn't any special either. I installed i3wm as soon as I started using Linux and I've never been happier. No bullshit, better performance and customizability. Might go dwm after a while but I'm happy right now.

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: 9224j7taohb21.png (638x1346, 526K)

it is OK except that FUCKING gnome-shell IS FUCKING CANCER AND FUCKING BLOAT

but smart people use i3-gnome

Big resource footprint is enough for me not to ever use it.
I don't need a DE though, use i3

you mean sway

it's garbage, and everything associated with it is garbage. i saw the light a few days ago and purged my system of the foot's vomit. migrated to an lxqt desktop, and even ditched gnome-keyring for the standard password store utility (passwordstore.org). fuck gnome and everyone involved in keeping it alive. the future is kde and qt.

No, it's not.
I used to shitpost about it, but I'm enjoying it a lot now.
Some of the criticism is deserved tho: it still uses a lot of ram (it's getting better) and the developers are pricks (the file picker meme is an example), but it's a good DE.
GNOME on Ubuntu is still kinda slow, even 19.04 running 3.32.
Debian buster with GNOME 3.30 feels way better.

>being this assblasted over a logo that you're not even going to see most of the time
christ, how come people aren't whining about how the apple logo is a disgusting apple with a bite in it that shit's not fresh anymore

literally a man taking a shit

You realize LXQt uses core libraries from KDE and GNOME, right?

>GNOME on Ubuntu is still kinda slow, even 19.04 running 3.32. Debian buster with GNOME 3.30 feels way better.
I've wondered why stuff on Debian always runs faster/smoother than in Ubuntu but this is true, somehow gnome 3.30 on Debian runs not only better than 3.32 on Ubuntu, it runs better than Gnome on Fedora. I think only arch runs it better.

I haven't got much experience with GNOME, my college computers all use it and I generally find it pretty unpleasant and uncooperative. If you're looking for a desktop environment, get KDE; it's the most bloated of all of them but it rans better, looks nicer, has decent software and is very customizable, and you obviously don't care about bloat or you'd be using a WM.

if you don't like performance then it's really good, but seriously, this shit sucks for us poorfags who use 4gbs of ram.

i like gnome rices tho

I like gnome. I even like most of the GTK programs under the gnome umbrella.

GNOME 3.32 works just fine on my old HP laptop with 3GB RAM.

Not really, people are just retarded and turn it into another Windows clone rather than trying the workflow GNOME is designed around and then complain.

no, Jow Forums has been invaded by /v/ with consumer tech shit for a long time.
This means they just falled for the linux meme as a drop in windows. And since it looks like something different than windows they seeth

This. You can even see it in the DEs they shill; the ones that look the most like w*ndows.

Jow Forums and others only hates it because it's
A) different than all others
B) popular to hate
C) wasn't perfect at launch
4) offers a unified experience
E) customizing themes and much of the experience through extensions is simple even for normies
F) isn't tailored for inefficient keyboard fags

>I-it can't be that my DE is trash, it's the windowsfag conspiracy!
Budgie and MATE aren't windows-like either and nobody shits on them

How are they not Windows-like? Because the windows list is on a separate panel or there’s a dock instead? Wow, what a difference.

>F) isn't tailored for inefficient keyboard fags
The fuck? It's perfect for keyboard usage.

Its decent on 18.04. Sucks that unity is fucking broken though.

what's not to like?

Attached: feet79.jpg (1500x1062, 273K)

>separately handles mouse input
>very difficult to turn off mouse accel
>pretty much impossible to configure the mouse to operate remotely the same as it does on windows
I need to frag

Two major performance improvements are coming. One is the real time scheduler for Gnome (Pop OS already has the patch). The other is that XWayland/X will eliminate all input lag that isn't the technical limitation of X11. Get your body ready.

Attached: GNOME developers in traffic.webm (360x640, 2.56M)

this. Unity was great.

slow as shit, prone to chunky animations / dropped frames and memory leaks, be it xorg, be it wayland.

couple of weird default interaction design choices that just.. no. not even apple has tried to re-invent the wheel like that with their magnitude larger budget.

i do however FOOT stance stance regards 'theming' shit, if you actually value well laid out, consistent user interfaces, basically quality of system & application software across Gaaano/Lunik. i also have nothing against clientside decorations if it aids usability for what's on the screen.
application software worth money is primarily a tool not a box of colorful legos for manchildren.

gnome is frustrating piece of shit tho, install macos.

>*[...]do however support[...]

>FOOT stance
I think that none of the actual Gnome shell developers endorsed the open letter. It was just a few third party application developers with severe autism.

It's even more Fisher Price OS than default XP was.

Yes

Attached: gnome-devs.png (1119x640, 134K)

Come home weed man

It's garbage, but somehow other DEs manage to be even more shit.

Menus are obsolete in most cases anyway.

Yes, because it depends on systemd

Attached: GNOME must suck.png (716x640, 114K)

>One is the real time scheduler for Gnome (Pop OS already has the patch).
Really? Is the update available? Have you tried it?

A fucking foot

>we don't need a file picker to display files anyway!

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-03 Redesign the file selection dialog (#1239) · Issues · GNOME gtk.png (1460x994, 134K)

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-24 GNOME (et al) Rotting In Threes.png (1073x2479, 372K)

>Is it really that bad?
yes, save yourself a lot of trouble, use Cinnamon

yes, very bad.

>Hardcoded shorcuts
>has to install third party software to tune it
>need 20 background services to make a fucking file searcher work
>template works every 2 months
>addon system was a joke
>top bar is black, fucking black!
>Files, typing for search does a recursive search instead of just jumping to that particular file
>file picker still with micro image preview (after 15 years till not fixed)
>plethora of meme apps that consist of crippled copies of actual apps.
>made by gnome
>logo is a foot
>uses lots of ram
>changing your wallpaper causes memory leak (did they fix this?)
>the logo has just four fingers lol
>gay SJW team
>not made by KDE
>uses tons of resources
>they wasted 10 years to make it work with Wayland and the result is that its now more useless
>Not possible to install in a tablet brags about being for everyone.
>Top bar is for Ork thumbs
>hardcoded into systemd
>uses pseudo javascript
>Stallman think its fine software
>some binaries have to be chmod -x even if you disable de service because they get triggered by rando code
>no plain text config files like the rest of THE FUCKING LINUX ECOSYSTEM
>made by burgers
>cares more about being inclusive than anything
>designed by childs

GNOME died in 2.0, they just keep up because they get public funding.

What did they do in those "15 years of piling things in the file selection dialog"? I use Linux since 2008 and I don't remember it changing.

They ported it with virtually no changes to GTK3

I have not tried it (I don't use Pop OS) but I remember reading from a dev's post that it should be shipped to Pop installs as of recently.

Thought that was Brave

>>no plain text config files like the rest of THE FUCKING LINUX ECOSYSTEM
This irks me the most
A fucking registry, what the fuck were they thinking?

GNOME was never alive, the only reason their crap was forced onto everyone is because they happened to be the RedHat backed alternative to QT

I am prepared. Give it to me baby

Just checked, it's in a Gnome update in Pop.

Much of the hate is because the way the development team has taken over gtk and forced stupid decisions on every other projects depending on the framework.

>The other is that XWayland/X will eliminate all input lag that isn't the technical limitation of X11.
That only affects distros that are still defaulting to X11 tho, right?

are you a fucking potato? LXQt uses Qt. Just like KDE, it does not depend on gnome or gtk libraries to function. there are 6 gnome related libraries on my install of lxqt, and they exist solely because i decided to use the brackets editor which pulled in those dependencies. if i were to remove brackets, there would not be a single gnome library on my system. you are a fucking potato.

No. It benefits all distros regardless if they use X or Wayland by default.

Applications that run in XWayland such as Firefox, most games, and old business software would benefit from this on a Wayland session.

By default LXQt uses GLib and GVfs.

Attached: LXQt_Take_the_Good_Parts.png (1280x720, 816K)

Attached: 897866469.gif (202x227, 367K)

Stallman eats skin peeled from his feet.
He's also almost always right about fucking everything, which makes me nervous.

oh shit. i would have installed those on my own if they weren't there, but i thought you meant UI toolkits. i think every major distro uses gvfs for some utilities at-least.

Stallman is based
He can dance Soulja boy while holding his laptop

I'm a retard, see:

i'll also give myself a retard award for not realizing you were referring to low-level components as well. either way, i am glad to be rid of hundreds of gnome shell and gtk-related libs and applications.

Attached: 1522109921160.jpg (574x382, 44K)

Nice to know!
Thanks.

Cut out about two thirds of these and your list might be worth something beyond laughs.

pic related

Attached: artificial.jpg (1024x536, 43K)

I tried GNOME when I switched to Ubuntu 18.04 recently. I like to stick with the supported DE. I couldn't make it work for my needs. The extensions system is especially egregious, requiring a browser and a browser plugin, and then having so many broken and shitty extensions to sort through. I wouldn't even care about extensions but GNOME by default is so bad at wasting space. It really looks like a smartphone OS shoehorned into a desktop. Seriously who wanted a giant fucking volume icon in the middle of the screen when I adjust the volume?

I went back to Unity desktop and I'm still really happy with it even though it's no longer supported. It's still easy to install and I haven't seen any bugs. In fact it seems even better than Unity on 16.04.

Attached: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (430x319, 16K)

what's bad is it makes scrolling in firefox slower/harder and doesn't allow you to play 60fps when it normally should

ie it shits on your ''''performance'''
the design is good

>how do you want your logo bro?
>just foot my shit up

Tried it out of the box on manjaro and it wouldn't play games because Wayland or something. Kde wasn't too much better, felt really floaty and the panel would break after playing full screen games.

Switched to xfce and had zero issues so far. I'm usually a tiling window manager user, but I got this nice big comfy desktop so I wanted to try some of the bloaty desktop environments.

widgets too big
apps too simple
win8 interface

No, it is actually really good, but its developers are one of the dumbest people in the world.
So how it manages to be good if the developers are dumb? well like 2 or 3 are pulling gnome together by themselves, the rest are to busy making blog post and rants on reddit.

I agree XFCE is better than KDE and GNOME. I prefer Unity.

>filename
kek

nah

not a real fucking argument.

I often test things people "hate" since they are often too emotional to give reasonable opinions. So I just did a fresh install, having touched ubuntu/gnome since 2012. Fucking hell. This thing lags on my i7 and RX 580 even with animations disabled. There are very few options, the file manager is a joke. Had to install some stupid tweak tool. Even if Fedora is 100% better with some red hat magic, it's still going to be a joke.
I'm really getting old. I think this desktop might target people coming from ios or android. Or grannies. Fuck man, I think projects like GNOME and KDE are important for free software health and this makes me sad. I like and use a lot of red hat tech but they should really scrap gnome and gtk, start over with a solid foundation.

What's your take on Unity Desktop?

My memory sucks so I can't give a fair opinion. I was on Unity for 2 years IIRC and I remember being a pain to make the appearance tolerable. Like that brown orange purple weird mix irritated me a lot. GNOME is also very ugly and I hate the titlebars, but that's the least of their problems since it's just a matter of taste and opinion. I find KDE good looking after minimal changes, so you can hold that against me. Or that sway/i3 minimalistic vibe, as long as it's not some rice made to look good just in screenshots. XFCE is butt ugly but with a few tweaks it can look good. It seems like my brain interprets power and control as beauty.
I only had performance issues with Unity when running on a vm. But since I became a more power user I think it would drive me crazy just like GNOME.

the footfags treat developers who use their software like trash
horrid documentation
a lack of respect for developer freedom
entitlement
i can only imagine what kind of person willingly uses their libraries to develop anything, and what this does to the end user experience is like

I've used both GNOME and Unity recently and I was shocked at how bad GNOME was.

I couldn't care less about the color. Unity Desktop is still the best WM in terms of out-of-the-box function.