I want a tablet with a stylus for taking notes in university. Should be under 500€. How are Android tablets...

I want a tablet with a stylus for taking notes in university. Should be under 500€. How are Android tablets? I have the impression they're not as good as iPads, since on iOS/iPadOS the programs are better optimized and with the update now USB OTG will be possible om iPads too. A regular iPad would cost 300€, the stylus would be another 100€ (are there cheaper decent stylus alternatives?). Is that an ok deal?
Thanks

Attached: 105-ipad-ios-11-pencil.jpg (1600x1200, 440K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/thread/10708201#p10712026
warosu.org/sci/thread/10708724#p10712551
orgmode.org
pri.org/stories/2014-09-18/your-paper-brain-and-your-kindle-brain-arent-same-thing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

buy some spiral notebooks and a pack of pens. Save the other 490 yuros.

Tablets cause brain damage, DNA damage, and sterility. Blunt, but the truth you need to hear.

Links to the archive, some good information.
Start of my own post chain.
warosu.org/sci/thread/10708201#p10712026
And an index in one post.
warosu.org/sci/thread/10708724#p10712551

>I have the impression they're not as good as iPads, since on iOS/iPadOS the programs are better optimized
You have the correct impression.
>are there cheaper decent stylus alternatives?
No.

Android tablets are okay I guess, but 90% of the apps aren't optimized for landscape mode, much less being used on a tablet, and the only decent ones with pen support (read: Galaxy Tab S4 or S3) run outdated hardware and aren't any cheaper than an iPad.

Pen and paper
I've tried talking notes digitally myself, it sucks

iPad 6th gen with matte screen protector + Apple Pencil

Are you retarded? Taking notes with tablets is shit and it will be like that forever.
It doesn't feel near as natural as paper, and isn't more efficient or anything.
If you wanna take notes, get a laptop with a good keyboard and learn Org-mode.
orgmode.org

This and the app notability. Best decision I made regarding note taking. Very powerful, I have every note synced with Dropbox, neat and organized. Don't listen to the retards that haven't used it, this makes pen and paper obsolete, and other tablets/laptops lack in comparison

X220T with arch + gimp / libreoffice draw for notetaking.
Its very portable, around 2kg, its very thin, just 3cm and resistive touchscreen is really good for stylus.
Battery life is not that great but its good, enough for few lectures.

Attached: lenovo_thinkpad_x220t.jpg (530x500, 49K)

Can't you grab some refurbished iPad Pro at that budget?

The software on Android is bearable, outside of Android itself. It's the hardware that causes issues but most importantly, there is not a single good stylus. You can use them but it's just fucking torture.

>It doesn't feel near as natural as paper,
Yeah it does with gen 2 stuff and mate protector; there is even a fucking company that is specified of paper feeling ones. The only downside is that you can't view multiple sheets side by side.

fuck no. I love Thinkpads and Latitudes (have one myself) but not for this kind of task.

>Its very portable, around 2kg, its very thin, just 3cm
That was portable around 2006, boomer-chan.

Have fun when that Apple dies within 2 months of use.

>mfw I still have a working 2008 macbook

>The only downside is that you can't view multiple sheets side by side
I just use onenote and use both my desktop monitor and my tablet when i need it.

>mfw even a cheap iPad mini from 2011 still gets app updates on some apps
You’re barking at android, user. I’ve never seen someone with an android tablet after a year.

How are Windows tablets? Any good ones in the sub 500€ pricerange?

Yeah I think that's bait.

Attached: maxresdefault(8).jpg (1280x720, 98K)

Wrong stereotype m8, apple is expensive but lasts idot

>It's the hardware that causes issues but most importantly, there is not a single good stylus. You can use them but it's just fucking torture.
samsung stylus is superior to *pple trash retard

Way better than lagdroid but still have the stylus problem, where it's "alright" but not something you want to use for longer periods of time like a normal pen or the Applel pencil.

There is cheaper pen by logitech (crayon)

(I haven't tried it or gen1 but I just know it exists xD)

Yeah, no. I got a Galaxy Tab first and even the feeling of the stylus is shit. Accuracy/latency/tilt is ghetto tier too.

Surface Go and some of the clones. Most of them use standard N-trig pen so it's easier to get replacement, any N-trig pen from $20 chinkpen to $100 surface pen will work.

As a huge fan of stylus-enabled tablets:

90% - you will NOT benefit from having a tablet for note taking. Too hot to explain, but unless you're STEM and need to make projects or draw stuff you'll regret buying a tablet, or will use a paper notebook anyways. Windows tablets might seem a bit better, but you'll quickly realize you bought a 500$ OneNote machine because core m or pentium/celeron/atom machine can't do much on windows.

Tbh, as a computer graphics designer I simply carry my A5 120mg paper block with me anywhere and I made more drawings in blocks than on my very good tablet with precise stylus.

Used iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

This exactly, pen and paper is faster and you memorize stuff better.

Yo, core M is on another level from pentium/celeron/atom; I recall back in 2015 when the 12" Macbook run damn fine on W10 beta so doubt things got any worse. 500 bucks is just a crappy bracket for tablets/laptops since the stuff isn't good enough but still much more expensive than dirt cheap trash.

Why waste your time. I have tried the Galaxy Note and X230T, it both sucked ass compared to the real deal.

Attached: 9478-3264x2448.jpg (3264x2448, 1.91M)

>core M
I have core M with "real deal SSD" rather than eMMC
It's enough for OneNote, fluent internet experience, Office and emergency coding.
It "runs" drawing software, enough to quickly sketch a concept, but even for previewing CAD projects or opening Blender on it I'd have to be insane to use it outside of dire situations. Don't think about gaming besides runescape at the lowest settings.

>I have tried the meme and meme 2, it both sucked ass
No shit nigger

The Galaxy Book 10.6 is supposed to have a good pen because it uses Wacom EMR tech. Its other specs aren't that great (m3 7Y30, 4GB of ram, 64GB EMMC 5.1, only one USB C port). Kinda thinking about buying one for drawing.

No user. I'm , buy a real tablet, for drawing at home. Even the best tablet-pcs are few times worse than cheap osu tablets.

>Are you retarded? Taking notes with tablets is shit and it will be like that forever.

Probably not forever. Imagine a tablet or phone that has everything you've ever written or sketched, indexed so that it's easy to find anything. I use pen and paper for everything, but after a few years it can be really hard to find my notes for a particular project. I use spiral notebooks and filing cabinets, but the future is digital and mobile, hopefully.

Years ago way before smart phones, they came out with personal digital assistants that "early adopters" would use, and show how great they were, but they sucked, and apparently little progress has been made.

Well, yeah, the rest of the system has to be on point too, hence it's tricky to get something decent on a budget when they cheap out on storage or RAM size.

Not sure about drawing software but CS stuff is fine unless you work on overly complex projects and even for DAWs it does the trick below some 30 tracks. Hell even video editing works fine, just exporting takes a good while. Anything 3D is just sad though and even for previewing.

Digital note taking is a shit experience, no matter what tablet you use.

4 u

>never used 2018 iPad Pro

I already have a normal screenless tablet but I want to draw directly on a screen. The Huion Kamvas Pro 13 I had and returned had so many issues (backlight bleed even with backlight and brightness set to 0, pen calibration was impossible and the cursor didn't stay under the pen tip when changing the orientation of the pen). From what I've read and seen basically all non-Wacom screen tablets have those pen issues.

>screenless tablet

>hurrrrr

Attached: 14d0ae8d-1d8b-4a23-a6ae-54de44eca61a_1.161fc270df7b74b6649fecba6535c130[1].jpg (450x450, 13K)

oh yeah, the old drawing tablets. I used to have one of those and it was the best drawing tool ever. I'm not sure why I got rid of it.

Android tablets are really not ok. The iPad makes then look like toys. Googles not even trying and neither are developers

Note 10.1 2014 with OneNote, been using this setup for the past 5 years to offload stuff from my brain so it can focus processing it instead. Has worked for the past half decade and will work for the next decade too. Until it breaks and I'll just buy whatever s pen samshit tablets there is.
I have a Note 4 for shorter sessions and what makes these great is that they both work with the X220T stylus, an actual sized pen with a clip and grippy surface material. I can input/output any kind of assets into my notes, that's critical.
Windows tablets are fiddly and complex to manage (even if they sorta works for this) whereas ipads are worthless toys that only does what apple wants you to do.

>coping this hard with poverty

You should just blank white computer paper and a pen

>a tablet with a stylus for taking notes in university
Know how can I tell you're not going to make to the second year?

my approach: read completely ahead of lecture, take pen & paper notes in lecture, transcribe notes to whatever app/platform you want (org mode, onenote, personal wiki), discard paper notes.

Haha

The only alternative to iOS tablets is Windows. Android is garbage in tablet form.

>2008
>2011

Attached: IMG_20190611_103050.jpg (1080x2540, 450K)

>new keyboards are relevant when talking about tablets
>free replacement for 4 year old hardware is somehow a bad thing

Bro, only need a Thinkpad T5X0 and LaTeX

>digital notes are more efficient
Copy/paste/resize/zoom/recolour are all very comfy. But if you indeed only need written text (no drawings), you could consider just a keyboard instead (I think I'd memorize things better when hand-writing instead - no matter if paper or digitizer).
>android on tablets is shit
I mean, android was a system for mobile phones except it wasn't even thought-out at all and it was more like a very minimal operating system but with phone capability. You get a system with no keyboard and actually nothing to replace it properly. Application ecosystem is cancer. There is about 1 acceptable program for notes (pay for simple features like geometric shapes; no progress for a few years now). The programs don't ever try to make anything easy for you. Why store notebooks in simple files when you could have a database of pages from all notebooks so that the user wouldn't be able to make a simple script to convert them to PDF or any common format (which he wouldn't be able to do anyway when he doesn't know the format and you don't provide sensible utilities with your program) and instead would try the paid feature of continuous export to cloud services that doesn't work when you have too much notes?
>tablets are meh
I use mine pretty much only on a desk because 12" isn't very handy but I wouldn't want it smaller for notes. I think 10" would be still fine, but I prefer it bigger. I would be cool if my tablet had reasonable aspect ratio because 16:10 is pretty shit for notes. Try to look for 4:3 or 3:2.

Android tablets are pretty shit (or at least were couple years ago when I was buying mine) but I still wouldn't put my foot in the walled garden of Apple.

Unironically X201T felt much comfier than my Android tablet. But writing on it was a bit straining because of the thickness and the extended battery made it tilt a bit to one side. But holy fuck, a normal operating system.

>Should be under 500€.
Standard iPad is pretty cheap.
>How are Android tablets?
Not great. They mostly don't exist except for the Samsung Tab series, and those are also bad for drawing/writing because the pens are so jumpy and inaccurate.
The only Android-related alternative is the Pixel Slate and...just no.
You could get a Surface, but the Surface Pen is pretty bad (still) and the Surface itself is extremely expensive.
So outside of just getting a Wacom USB tablet and hooking it up to your laptop, an iPad is basically the only way to go.

Seems like a decent thread for it...
Is there any iPad app that allows viewing two text pages side by side (outside of some fuckery like opening a second instance)? Thinking about getting one but I fucking hate being limited to working on a single page.

lagPads are unusable trash.
Always have been, always will be.
>$99 pencil lags in fucking everything
>onscreen keyboard takes 20 seconds to come up
>key presses don't register for 20 seconds
>updates cripple your speed 50% every update
Just get a surface, it's infinitely better than the shitheap that are ipads.

Attached: 1541008965810.png (1536x2048, 256K)

>USB OTG

Welcome to 6 years ago.

Look up the Rocketbook notebook. Might be better for you instead of a tablet and you’ll save quite a bit of your budget. You can literally wipe off old notes and save them to google or Dropbox and the like.

Attached: E2576266-FAB7-4619-8843-3B5AB907D9C6.jpg (400x500, 12K)

Nobody actually buys a tablet to take notes.
It's just an excuse to justify buying an expensive toy.

in my university many student use tablets to take notes and edit the script while the professor talks about it. seems pretty convenient.

I don’t see how that would work very well with a stylus. It would make more sense if you had an iPad with the keyboard on the notes app because then spacing wouldn’t be as hard becuase face it handwriting on a tablet Is trash and not easy to do while maintaining spacing and trying to keep up with a professor.

>handwriting on a tablet Is trash
>I never used the Apple pencil

you don't write what the professor tells you 1:1
you have the script beforehand, you add notes to explain it better

Bullshit. I'm taking notes digital for almost an year now and it's more superior than paper fagging. Writing with real ink which makes everything dirty, ew hell no. I use OneNote which gives me everything I need for University note taking. And memorizing notes should be equally the same as with real paper.

get a fire 10 hd and debloat it

If you have it before hand then why not save your own copy and then open with google slides/whatever tf you use and use the notes section at the bottom of the page? I don’t see the point of an Apple Pencil in this scenario.

>lagPad

Attached: 1544529296928.webm (640x360, 1.1M)

Why not keep the script, which the professor probably perfected over the years, as-is and just pay attention to what the professor was trying to explain to you before you got distracted by your electronic toy?

>Writing with real ink which makes everything dirty

Lefty untermensch detected.

Buy a royole rowrite. Around 130 euro if u can get it (it's 130 euro in the netherlands)

>handwriting on a tablet Is trash and not easy to do while maintaining spacing and trying to keep up with a professor
I'm just doing that with that uncomfortably small S-pen. Why would you think that writing with a digitizer is any more difficult than writing with a regular pen? The surface has much less friction so it's different but no more difficult.

Stop living in the Stone age faggot. I'm still wondering when we can recreate ourselves as homo deus and getting those cyborg parts like in ghost in the shell. Because hell nah I ain't gonna die in the next 200 years.

And I'm not a lefty you fucking nigger.

>faster and you memorize stuff better.
Those are both due to writing instead of typing. You're still writing when you take notes on a tablet, the pen and paper combo has no magical abilities.

>lagPad

Attached: 1541814504974.webm (640x360, 1.1M)

pri.org/stories/2014-09-18/your-paper-brain-and-your-kindle-brain-arent-same-thing

Just make sure you're reading from the right brain.

You attend lectures to understand things, not to memorize things.

Anything you're expected to memorize for the exam (if anything at all) will be in the lecture book so you can read it over a couple of times.

If you think higher education is about memorizing stuff you really don't belong there and you should instead memorize how to be a plumber or something.

While you're completely right, the fact remains that taking notes by hand improves retention over typing, which can do anything but hurt your class performance.

Students who take notes do worse on average than students who don't.
Some professors have even banned note taking for that reason.

>>Some professors have even banned note taking for that reason.
Some professors are morons, news at 11.

Thank you, at least you get it.

You are too rich, stop cummulationg so much money. Get more free time. Don't do it, it wont make you happy i swear.

>too rich
Not necessarily. I blew half a semester of student loans on my ereader

Thinking about one of these myself, partially for D&D, taking on short trips since my laptop is 15" and i want more than a phone, and maybe even a bit of doodling. Just deciding if the basic ass 9.7 is enough or if should splurge for the Air for that extra inch.

You should get a 2 in 1 that comes with a stylus the keyboard can come in handy and you can also use it when writing assignments

if you love the ipad so much just get a fucking ipad faggot

Got an iPad Pro and pencil as a combined christmas gift from all tech illiterate friends since I'm "impossible to shop for."

Used it for about 2 weeks but the UI is just atrociously bad. Even the most basic of tasks is like pulling teeth and 10X more cumbersome than it is on a laptop or desktop. It sat collecting dust for 2 months before I finally sold it and decided to buy a Surface on a whim to see if it was any better.

I now use the Surface instead of my laptop when I do need to take something on the go. Can't beat having a real OS and real UI in a tablet form factor.

>b-b-but my angry birds and muh apps!
All mobile apps on all platforms are shit tier hobbled garbage compared to their desktop versions, or just straight up webforms trash that can be done through a browser. Apps are a meme.

BoogieBoard. £19.87 $25USD
I don't know how much it is in mune runes tho

It literally is the best for taking notes. No distracting notifications, internet, etc.
If you want something more, then, no: you DON'T WANT "A Tablet with a stylus for taking notes in university"
You want to be a pompus mac fag who gets to show your status symbol to all the people around you in hopes she pets your dick.

Why don't you just use a laptop with a keyboard? You can type more words per minute than you can write by hand.

too retarded with money, then

They're not as good as iPads. If you can stretch your budget get an iPad Air 2019. Otherwise just get a value iPad 2018 and an apple pencil 1

>Students who take notes do worse on average than students who don't.
No wonder I aced shit by drawing in class while kinda listening to lectures.

>obese archtard thinkpad zealot enters the thread

this, and get GoodNotes app, it's all you need

This. iPads are unusable shitheaps. Even the most basic tasks like moving your notes off the iPad to your computer is a massive fucking chore. Apple is a joke.

>makes fun of itoddlers for buying toys
>cant do basic tasks on them
wew

Samsung tab with s pen or nothing.

It doesn't have any apps that are as good as onenote on windows or say, Notability or Goodnotes or Bear on iOs but unless you're doing several classes that require more than pen and paper which I don't think really exist and even if they do, a bluetooth keyboard is like $20 so you can type, android is fine

I have an iPad. It's a steaming turd. Get a real tablet like a Surface with a real OS. If you absolutely have to have passively cooled, go S3.

Attached: 1542254009671.jpg (907x1242, 266K)

ipad pro + liquidtext master race reporting in

>implying basic tasks are basic on iOS

Just graduated college here, I find digital note taking to be really inferior. It's okay to use non-digital tools in 2019, user.

You don't need it, it's not even close to being worth the money.

Attached: image.jpg (300x401, 117K)