BUCKLE THE FUCK UP

> My laptop “failed” again for the 4th time today. The first 2 motherboard replacements seemed odd, but I was given a completely new laptop from Apple on the 3rd failure. Just like before, the screen was pure black after clicking the power button and there was a slight fan sound....
> So after losing about 2 weeks of my time, >$10,000 in Apple warranty repairs (2 logic boards, new cables, and a complete replacement of a >$7000 computer), troubleshooting input from several Apple Geniuses, level 1 and 2 tech support from Apple Corporate, diagnostic tests at the Apple Store, and diagnostic tests twice at Apple’s repair facility in Texas; what was the root issue?

> The screen brightness was turned all the way down (not merely dim, but off).
9to5mac.com/2019/06/11/macbook-pro-problem/amp/

The current state of Apple

Attached: Screenshot_20190611-214613.png (1080x1920, 626K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/Ugvsj
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dont want to click their links.

how can that shit be real?

Sorry
Let me hook you all up
archive.fo/Ugvsj

there's absolutely no way that happened the way it's described. I know "geniuses" are a meme but they're trained to assist clueless grandmas and boomers. The first thing they'd check is brightness settings. I can however believe that they couldn't diagnose a faulty monitor cable that killed the backlight

That's because "geniuses" are just sales retards. No matter what happens, their solution to the problem is always "uhh, guess we'll have to swap the motherboard". If that doesn't fix it, they'll swap it again. And again. And then finally some technician will take a look at the actual problem and fix it.

>And then finally some technician will take a look at the actual problem and say just sell him a new one.

No, that's what the "geniuses" do when the customer doesn't have apple care.
It's surprising how easily apple customers fall for that.
>Well, guess my $7000 Laptop just randomly died and the company that made it can't figure out why, better buy the exact same machine again

>So he routinely leaves the machine open, but turns down the screen brightness to zero (backlight fully off) to avoid distraction. He then shut it down for use while mobile. When he restarted it, it appeared to be dead.
How can one person be so retarded?

This. Apple's failures aside, if he turned the screen off himself, how could he not think to turn it back on again?

This isn't just an Apple thing. Same thing happened to me with an HP ProBook, although the issue was never actually fixed and I think it was a Windows thing. They replaced the board at least twice and then sent a whole new laptop and nothing worked.

Basically, the top ~5% of the window of certain fullscreen applications would disappear when they were fullscreen on an external monitor. Happened with File Explorer, Chrome, and a few other things. But yeah, that's pretty much the default response when shit's fucked and there's no obvious cause, replace the motherboard.

ITODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1527411029932.jpg (832x623, 405K)

>how can that shit be real?
The use-case isn't, that parts made up. The reason Apple failed to address that made-up issue is a very real flaw - or "feature" in their machines.

You guys didn't read or didn't understand why there is a flaw which could pose a real problem for some people: Those machines will remember the brightness setting upon reboot and cold boot and you can't change it until you've typed in your password. People working for Apple should probably be able to catch that edge case but I know I wouldn't. My laptop and all other laptops I've seen don't set the screen to whatever brightness setting the OS had it on until I'm well past grub and my LUKS password.

>how could he not think to turn it back on again?
Because it was one of those made-up support cases. He thought "this could be a real problem for someone and it could be hard to diagnose, I'll just send my machine to Apple to see if I can get a click-bait article out of it"

This is so funny and stupid at the same time. I was Apple certified at one point because my job required me to be certified. In the Apple online course, it stressed many times that if the screen goes black/blank, make sure to check the dinner due to "user error".

I have had three units with black screens and the first step I did after booting up the unit, was to check the dinner. Didn't work so I diagnosed it further to find out the logic board was faulty.

I even applied to be one of the "Genius" because it would have been a $5 per hour raise. Went through three interviews and ultimately they decided I wasn't fit for the job.

Looking back and after seeing this article, fuck them and I hope they crumble into nothing!

based

mactoddlers have defended this

Does the brightness setting take affect during BIOS? I thought these things usually only take affect after the OS has been loaded.

Macbooks don't have an interactive BIOS.

What I don't understand here; the article says the screen stayed black. Even with the most obscure dim settings shouldn't be there a boot message or sign at the start?

Attached: 1542796443112.jpg (624x1200, 102K)

I honestly thought the apple tards had some kind of autodiagnostics tool that would run and tell them what needs to be repaired
I guess everything looked a-ok in that regard

I think I've come across this bug as well- where after restarting with a external monitor attached doesn't raise the brightness a bit for the boot logo as it should, because I pulled out the monitor cable inbetween or something. Then I wasn't able to brighten the display until restarting again.
Either way it's dumbassery from the 'genius' and i hope he gets a reprimand

The guy received a new machine halfway through and still had the issue
The problem, unironically, was the user workflow, and the genius guys knowing nothing

Aren't the brightness settings saved to PRAM/NVRAM? Which is located on the fucking motherboard?

How can an incorrect brightness setting persist over 2 new motherboards and a new device? This makes absolutely no sense

because the retard was doing the same thing when he went home with a new machine

>And then finally some technician will take a look at the actual problem and fix it.
nah, they'll just tell you to buy another device

Having the laptop boot with blackout screen is a design flaw, whether or not it could be caused by used action. It should always boot at Auto brightness and only resume configured brightness level after it's on the desktop.

I guess, but it could be considered a feature
by this I mean, the guy used an external display, and always turned down the brightness to avoid having the laptop display on
he usually powered off the device in that way, so that when he booted again, the same settings are there
but, he expected the laptop to go into "laptop" mode while using it without the external display
I mean, it is not a bug IMO, but that it save all your settings for the next day is they are now
the guy and the geniuses are both retarded

Why did the screen showed nothing during boot? That can't be how that works. I'm pretty sure I've done the same on Windows and the screen doesn't go black again until it's done booting.

itoddlers

Attached: 1559825345704.gif (500x491, 376K)

Based

based and redpilled

DELET

>$7000 computer
>laptop
fucking HOW?

It doesn't make sense that anyone would be this stupid because you can still see the screen by holding a flashlight up to it, even if the backlight is off. One unique "feature" of the glowing Apple logo. And this is how it was finally dianosed.

This is why I don't get apple. 10,000 dollars wasted.

Attached: 1557426220442.png (552x530, 286K)

yikes

iToddlers BTFO

Attached: 1560344925226.jpg (900x636, 139K)

i want to nakadashi kuro

Redpilled and based.

They used to, but that made it too easy for 3rd parties to repair them so it was removed.

god i wish that were me

I work helpdesk for minimum wage and I fixed this on someone's mac once in about 5 minutes

where is my $10000??

fucking would

cunny

>complete replacement of computer
>same issue
Did you do it deliberately just to fuck with them?

Who the fuck has 10k $ to spend when data recovery+buying a new nonapple device exist

Not everyone wants to use Winjeet/Lincux diarrhoea

as the pace of innovation continues to slow, the emerging "hustle economy" will manifest itself more and more. when you get robbed, try not to take it personal, the person is just trying to make ends meet in an increasingly impossible climate.

>Not everyone is a double digit IQ

Is that Louis?

desu if i worked in a store and someone came and told me their laptop was broken i dont think i'd check that the brightness is all the way down. How can anyone be retarded enough to do that and think their machine is now broken

This is clearly an escalation issue, and the store personnel trying to "help" a valuable customer by replacing the entire thing blindly, again and again, no questions asked
fixed by asking about the client workflow, after seeing that replacing the entire machine didn't fix the issue

>phoneposter
>no adblocker
>/amp/
>complaining about OTHER people being computer illiterate

I stopped using them years ago, and I am quite happy with it. I prefer a snappy browser over an adblocker, and I hardly use ad supported content other than the Google news feed
>amp
>Complaining about loading a website faster and using less bandwidth for muh privacy
Well played, Neo