>ubuntu stabilizes it and adds its own patches
>debian steals it and calls it testing
>now they don't upgrade anything unlike ubuntu for years
>now, this is stable
>release new debian version
>I did this

welcome to open sores

Nice troll my friend.

Ubuntu is based on debian testing. It steals a snapshot directly from debian testing branch. If ubuntu didn't exist then ppl would just use debian testing instead of ubuntu and the world would feel no different except that one leech was removed.

Actually the guy you are quoting is right - and what you say and claim is wrong.

Ubuntu puts the drivers on itself while you have to play around with Debian. That 1% is pretty significant.

>no PPAs
Lel

>being this retarded

debian uses the orignal .deb repositories instead of PPAs. PPAs are just a redundant version of .deb

there's a version of debian that comes with the drivers

>debian uses the orignal .deb repositories instead of PPAs. PPAs are just a redundant version of .deb
Except those PPAs contain versions of software that I wouldn't be able to find in the original .deb repositories, which is why I'm using them in the first place. And since Debian doesn't really support PPA as a platform, all the PPA developers make their .debs work only with Ubuntu dependencies. So, again
>no PPAs

>debian does all of the work making the distro
>ubuntu copies it
>"goys its for new users."
>users flock to ubuntu
>people package software to ubuntu contributing (((nothing))) back to debian who did all of the work

This is the point of the thread dumbfuck.

Yeah, well, sucks to suck I guess. I like using the software of my choice, and Debian often lacks that choice. And unlike Ubuntu's PPAs, there's no stopgap solution to do so. I guess you could use Arch and always stay updated, but I want only certain packages to be bleeding edge and not my entire system.
Also Linux Mint has its own layer of PPAs as well that go on top of Ubuntu's, why don't you bitch about that too?

*tips*

Wait, is this true?

debian packages arent old because nobody is maintaining packages lmao
what are you even implying

i have no idea what you guys are talking about but i just imagined that all 3 of these are the same guy trying to fake support for his argument and I am laughing like a psycho

ubuntu is """literally""" just debian testing. If you use debian testing you get packages as fresh as ubuntu.

actually it's even worse than that.

Ubuntu is a "snapshot" of debian testing. meaning it is frozen in time and only recieves security updates.

So if you are using debian testing your packages are actually more fresh than ubuntu.

Who would have thunk it.

I just switched to debian because of this. DESU nowadays it's all about marketing, that's the only reason ubuntu is popular.

>Ubuntu is based on debian testing.
10 years ago, maybe. Ubuntu diverged from Debian upstream a long time ago.

You faggots don't know what you are talking about. See Debian never dabbled with Mir etc.... Ubuntu is even phasing out apt for snap, which has no equivalent in the Debian world, so claiming that it's "just debian testing" is just blatantly false. Packages and dependencies are no longer the same and haven't been for almost a decade.

It's also a perpetuated thing of:
>more people use ubuntu
>so more software gets ported to ubuntu and more guides get written for ubuntu
>thus they recommend ubuntu to new users
>thus more people use ubuntu

If ubuntu dies then ubuntu is still fine. If debian dies ubuntu is fucked. Luckily debian people are some of the most hardcore military grade server os producers on the planet.

If you look at linux mint, linux mint is based on ubuntu which is based on debian. So if either debian or ubuntu fail then linux mint also fails. And so they have their own debian version of linux mint to hedge their bets, because they realize the sand is not solid beneath them.

post proof you lying shitfuck

I call samefag on the previous post

Ubuntu is phasing out apt for snap because they """know""" that they are so dependant on the hard work of debian and they are trying to cut their dependency

Don't use the unstable port? How retarded can you be
Debian stable is literally the most stable distro ever made, everything is 100 years old with patches

>want something stable?
>use debian stable
>want something unstable?
>use debian sid
>want something inbetween?
>use debian testing

Oh and with gnu guix you can add whatever packages you damn well please with no dependency issues even if you are on debian oldstable.

How usable is Debian Sid for desktop, is it about the same as Arch(a bit more outdated)?

It's not as stable as arch. There are two good options
>snapshot your operating system on sid in case it breaks
>use debian testing and advance your kernel as far as it will go and use guix to get fresh packages like in the aur

that being said if ubuntu died then debian sid would probably get alot more users and thus be way more stable

Debian Sid user here, this user is lying. It breaks less than Arch. I've used both. It's new and unstable but it still has Debian devs behind it, which is a lot more pairs of eyes than other projects.

hello user
I am this user:
You could be right. I have heard both ways that it is either more or less stable than arch. I wasn't """lying"""

they fixed the font rendering and include proprietary stuff as well as incompatible licenses like zfs's CDDL
its an abomination in the eyes of our lord stallman, but at least it works well

>post proof you lying shitfuck
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian

>Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!

>I call samefag on the previous post
I wasn't pretending to be different persons, the post replied to two different posts. You're fucking retarded.

>
>Ubuntu is phasing out apt for snap because they """know""" that they are so dependant on the hard work of debian and they are trying to cut their dependency
Then why is Debian adopting Snap/Flatpack instead themselves?
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Snap

Most ubuntu devs are also debian packagers so who cares.

>wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian
"don't make a frankendebian" is the section you linked to.

I read the whole section and this is the only passage that contains the word "ubuntu"

>Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!

There are no other references to ubuntu in that section.

This is """not""" evidence against the claim that "ubuntu is built by taking snapshots of debian testing."

A system that is built by taking snapshots of debian testing would indeed be incompatible with debian packages as the packages across those two systems are not synchronized.

You have provided zero evidence that ubuntu is not just a snapshot of debian testing, and thus I still call you a liar and a shill.

>switching to snaps

The core decisions made by debian are ultimately voted on by an elected council of five people. This is called the debian council and they are voted into and out of office by the debian mailing list.

The last that I heard about the debian council in the news, three out of the five people who were voted in were ubuntu developers who worked for canonical. This means that ubuntu has a stranglehold on the debian project and can force shit into debian if they want. I predict this is why debian supports it.

making good software is about trimming the fat and getting rid of redundancy. ubuntu is dead weight. We will be a larger more agile community if we just use debian which is ubuntu without the crap

Debian is downstream from Ubuntu.

Don't be retarded, look at the software versions.

Debian testing is fucking Ubuntu stale.

Back in the day Debian was "too" hard on newbies so Ubuntu came along. These days though, it's pretty simple. People use Ubuntu over Debian because Ubuntu has a company behind and holds your hand. If you're an intermediate or advanced user, nothing of this matters, so might as well use Debian.

This is exactly the perfect fucking argument.

Imagine if there is a river that goes from the top of a mountain down out to the ocean. At the beginning of the stream the water is clean. If you drink the water just south of a town (in the middle ages) the odds are people have been pissing and swimming and shitting in the water and putting their feet in it and it's not as clean.

Debian is more pure to the source. There's no reason for the extra ubuntu cruft.

Those days are over. Debian is about as easy as ubuntu, now.

Debian testing was easy to install once I used a live USB. prior to that, I had no touchpad or network support. Even with live USB, it wouldn't automatically partition on a UEFI system. Only manual is available. but that's true of many distros (lubuntu for eg.) The installers for Xubuntu or Mint for eg are truly idiot proof and will auto partition on UEFI.

Debian is a piece of shit. Ubuntu barely improves over it.

Provide several objective reasons why debian is a piece of shit.

>unpatched bugs
>heavily modified package files location with little to no documentation on those changes from upstream
>only stable is actually usable, testing is as unstable as sid but takes longer to get fixed
>packages removed because offensive
>maintainers removed because offensive against trannies
>orphaned packages by ACTIVE maintainers who refuse to let the package be maintained by other ones
>shit packaging, one part on why is bard to get ready fast with the patches
>shit organization in the governance, so patches take long to get accepted >literally months or years before commiting bug fixes which are to be shipped in stable because of the above reasons
debian is fucking dead since Ian, move on. It's crappy quality as of late, the systemd maintainer also pulled the trigger on himself one time

The live images of Debian are even using the Calamares installer now.
It's dead simple to install. Just download the live image with nonfree drivers and you're set.

Out of curiosity, do you use Arch?

Fedora or Gentoo depending on the machine.

>three out of the five people who were voted in were ubuntu developers who worked for canonical
You keep screaming "EVIDENCE" but then make up random shit like this without a shred of evidence. Debian "council", lol, fuck no, that's not how it fucking works. Kill yourself retard.

>Ubuntu is snapshots of debian testing
>there's a secret council that decides Debian's future
Jesus Christ, this is what Jow Forums believes.... Holy shit, Jow Forums is fucking retarded.

>atheism memes
Lmao. So cringe

Ubuntu: thank you systemd
Debian: kys..

install gentoo

That's how Linux distributions work.
Opinion: Me, a wageslave, still haven't found a single reason to use Debian over Ubuntu.

this
ubuntus just work without Fucking up everything

>ubuntus just work without Fucking up everything
That's also the case with Debian. I don't see your point.

>old=stability meme
oh GOD imagine actually believing this.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

More than half of the issues you mentioned are in any distro. Debian is still the best one and the most forked distro out of all of them.
>Fedora
Garbage that breaks every 6 months and better re-install, sure.
>Gentoo
Takes ages to setup, massive waste of time for little to no gain.
You're just a meme shitter that never had to do shit on your computer but compiling every little shit you come across. To have the gal claiming Debian is shit but using that bloated garbage called Fedora is just funny.
There's tons of packages orphaned everywhere you tool. And packages weren't removed because of their name(I can tell already you're talking about weboob) but the code had a ton of vulgar crap. Should I care? No, but companies that might use Debian would.

Each Debian stable release lasts for about 2 years before a new one comes out, just like Ubuntu LTS.
This meme about everything being old is typical of retards like you.

Ubuntu's shit
I know, I use both

based

>Breaks every 6 months
you can upgrade every 13 months 2 releases instead of 1
>gentoo takes ages to setup
yikes, try 1 hour and the rest is compiling

>Oracle doesn't provide a mysql-workbench package for debian but does for ubuntu. The debian maintainer of that package has kicked the bucket and its not in sid anymore.
>Proceed to install the ubungu package in debian via dpkg and apt install -f
>It works flawlessly
Kys you absolute retard. If you want the pozzed pile of shit that is snap you can install it for debian.

At the time of writing (June 12th, A.D. 2019) Gentoo is the only serious GNU/Linux distribution.
It's the only one with a good package manager, proper stable/unstable branches, good tooling, good support, good stability, a reasonably large main repository, great ease in creating and defining your own packages thanks to overlays, great flexibility and sane standards.No other popular distribution incorporates all these features at the same time.
I can't take Debian's supposed stability claims seriously anymore when it uses apt, and simple operations cause dependency hell. And let's not even talk about systemd being the default and the questionable people behind it, not to mention the dubious circumstances of Ian's death.
That said, the situation may of course change in the future. Guix is improving at a promising rate, and Slackware is still going strong, albeit with no dependency management by default.

Attached: 1555509694542.jpg (1050x1400, 217K)

what do you think of devuan?

>I can install pkgs and debs on both systems
>that means it is the same distro
Retard

>If you want the pozzed pile of shit
I don't, which is why I stay the fuck away from the cultural marxist bullshit that is Debian that drives developers away with their political bullshit and transgender shite.

Just corrected this shit-tier plebbit meme.

Attached: 1.png (880x1242, 681K)

Ubuntu will still always have apt-get, they are just going to encourage snap, flatpack and appimage.

systemd is just a symptom of debian incompetence, getting rid of it won't fix the whole thing. The best no systemd distribution is Gentoo if you care.
Slackware is even more autistic and less maintained

Wait Ubuntu isn't its own distro?

Where do I go to next bros?

(((committee of officers)))
debian.org/intro/organization

Elected by the mailing list. go suck a dick

See link above

Here is my friend richard. I literally met him five minutes ago. I want you to trust him with your wallet and the keys to your car for one day.

Here is my friend spencer. I have known spencer for twenty five years. We served in IRAQ together. I have trusted him with my life several times and him mine. He is solid, unshakeable. You can trust spencer with your stuff for today.
I think if they combine guix with portage then that would be something. Give you the option either to compile or not to compile and have the dependencies be separate and redundant.
I actually run debian inside of a virtual machine in windows 10 cause I gat shit to do.
bro use "apt". Top lel.
No actually there is a technical reason why systemd exists. In past versions of unix pid 1 or the first startup process used to be a shell script and has been for some time. This often means that bourne shell is used as pid1 for corss compatability. Bourne shell is a shitty programming language. It is slower, and it can't do as much, especially for things like cron jobs. They needed to move over to a better language like c for pid 1.

Systemd is not the perfect replacement because it is bloat, but TLDR we need a c or C++ program to be pid 1, not a shell script.

Download the version of debian that has proprietary drivers. You literally get every flavor of linux all in one thing and it werks.

Attached: iuhiuhiuhi7h897h.jpg (913x1789, 342K)

>but I want only certain packages to be bleeding edge and not my entire system.
Honestly, being on a bleeding edge distro is not nearly as sketchy as people make it out to be. Once kernel 4 had rolled out, Arch became very,very stable. Of course, with Linux, the devil is in the hardware, so your mileage may vary,especially with laptops.

Where's the council consisting of mostly Canonical employees, faggot? You fucking liar.

>Debian is more pure to the source. There's no reason for the extra ubuntu cruft.
you didn't even read the post you replied to idiot.
Debian is the bottom of the river infested with piss and scat
ubuntu IS their own distro, even unstable is outdated compared to the latest ubuntu non lts.
kali is more like vanilla debian with some tweakings in the services.
ubuntu is their own distro for fucks sake they use their own kernel version in LTS instead of the LTS maintained in kernel.org

Ubuntu unstable is a snapshot of the candidates for debian testing.

Ubuntu stable is a snapshot of debian testing.

Both of these snapshots are more outdated than their debian counterparts because they are frozen in time and only get security updates, whereas debian testing keeps getting updates for non security related packages.

Changing the kernel is just changing one file. That's 10 minutes of work.

Ubuntu is """not""" it's own distro.

Attached: 1554313868118.png (727x560, 158K)

ubuntu is their own distro and debian is barely clinging on to life after their cuck leader killed himself.
Ubuntu was first to implement systemd and debian followed like the cucks they are.
Ubuntu is also going to die since they are just trying to catch up with fedora.
Debian is not the hard worker trying to make something by themselves, fedora and red hat are the one pushing all the upstream bugfixes, both the community developers and red hat developers who are getting paid to work because they actually sell a product.
Debian is just taking the upstream work and calling it their own, even Ubuntu has more developers commiting upstream fixes because of Canonica having clients.
So to OP's own logic Debian is the one stealing shit and calling it their own.
Debian is forever cucked tranny friend, dilate

incredible. Every single thing you said was a lie.

>Debian
>full of compromised due freetardation and old ass packages even in "testing"

>Ubuntu
>chill about everything and has up to date packages

>Takes over Debian
>Adds nothing to the code
>"I did this"

Attached: 1537160054397.png (480x490, 268K)

are we supposed to be able to read this?

Honestly these days Debian is also shit. I switched to Fedora years ago and haven't looked back since.

Literally all GNU licensed software.

You must be at least 18 to post here.

Debian can use PPA's

Damn, I switched to fedora a month ago after using debian for 3 years. I don’t know what happened, but I wish debian would stop feeling so duct taped together. Installing both sysvinit and systemd scripts, defaulting to wayland so soon for a stable release, and the usrmerge makes the system feel so cluttered.

The debian developers are stuck so far up their ass for decades now it's ridiculous.

Let's be real, Debian just piggybacks on Red Hat and doesn't innovate in any way. Debian stole Gnome 3, Systemd, Wayland, Pulse Audio, Network Manager, and more from Red Hat. I find it extremely ironic that people such as OP think their snowflake distro is special when everything of value is Red Hat technology.

You sound like you were born yesterday

Nice argument bro

>they stole FOSS

Attached: 1559551375163.jpg (515x390, 31K)

I'm not interested in a debate, just calling it like I see it.

Attached: p5d1n.jpg (460x282, 16K)

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA IMAGINE BEING THIS DELUSIONAL NONONONONOO

Sorry isn't that how floss works?

Are you really this retarded? Do I need to spell it out for you?

Don't reply to me again if you're too dumb to debate.

idkwtf im doing
use ubuntu xfce (?)
seems to work
try and do things sometimes
idkwtf im doing so hard to tell if what im doing is "working"
still great and never a problem, managed to fluke fruit loops 20 without a single hickup, all vsts work flawlessly
who cares
whats even a debian lol

>No actually there is a technical reason why systemd exists. In past versions of unix pid 1 or the first startup proc
I know, I'm not saying that's bad. But it follows from this which I actually agree
>Here is my friend spencer. I have known spencer for twenty five years. We served in IRAQ together. I have trusted him with
Upgrades are actually about bugfixes most of the time so using something old that has the latest bugfixes is better than old with bugs like Debian.
But systemd was actually the new thing for quite a while and was unstable at the time of adoption.
New kids=/=newer versions
I just want the most mature version of well known programs, Debian's are in a younger state actually, because they still have bugs that the latest more mature version has fixed.
Arch is a bad example because they manage upgrades horribly wrong, they fuck up everything on purpose.

this, read the rant about the debian developer who quitted at maintaining stuff there.
He said they will ignore bugfixes he commited and sit on their asses for months, then randomly accept it after he even forgot he sent an upgrade.
Not because they were checking or anything, just because they feel like.
I'm also on Fedora btw. Gentoo is also great compared to Debian.

Why do u need to be more special snowflake than fucking ubuntu is too mainstream for you?

Ubuntu is literally the only worthwhile distros and is the only distros who can compare to windows.

I tried fedora but that nigger shit doesn't even has software-properties-gtk unlike based lubuntu and is literally impossible to install nvidia drivers and they don't even work on fedora.

why do u need to use something more niche than buntu distros?

Attached: 1521477147697.jpg (618x597, 144K)

wasted

replying

nice quints, also correct opinion.

nice dubs, also good attitude