Why do you like vim over other text editors such as atom or sublime text?

Why do you like vim over other text editors such as atom or sublime text?

Attached: vim.png (400x400, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thehackernews.com/2019/06/linux-vim-vulnerability.html?m=1
github.com/vim/vim/releases
github.com/martanne/vis
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Atom is a chromium browser instance running a text editor written entirely in javascript, simple things like a blinking cursor can eat up 30% of your CPU usage because of the way javascript is executed.
Sublime Text is abandonware that also costs money and doesn't do anything particularly better than free and libre alternatives like Notepad++.
Vim is also shit, people frequently mistake vim for the much older vi, citing ubiquity and minimalism as it's key features when none of those apply to vim, it's design predates keyboard idioms you take for granted like Ctrl+S/Ctrl+O/etc. or even standard ANSI keys like Ctrl, Alt, Ins/Del/Home/End, or even arrow keys, so none of those are used in the default keyboard shortcuts.
Emacs isn't nearly as obtuse, but it's default keybindings are literally designed to give you carpal tunnel and it's really more of a self-contained lisp interpreter that JUST HAPPENS to edit text. It also has a habit of becoming a magical timesink that consumes the duties of every other application on your computer until you've configured your way into making emacs your window manager and everything short of the init system on your operating system.

Use GNU nano if you value your time and productivity.
It's shortcuts are easy to learn and do not require you to "learn" your editor like everything else in this list.

I use GNU emacs. It’s better than anything else. I have no idea why a person would use a bloated JS editor with telemetry.

Thanks *sucks your dick as a sign of thanksgiving*

Just werks.
I only need a very minimal .vimrc, which btw is a very easy way to add configs, to be comfortable programming and managing files on vim, the keyboard controls and shortcuts are my favorites and emulating it on another editor just doesn't really cut it (no, can't stand Doom or Spacemacs), the program is small and fast and will run nicely on almost any computer.
I not even use plugins generally, only the default netrw.

The modal design is great because the main parts of editing text are navigation and manipulation, not entry. So it helps to free up the whole keyboard for commands to do those things.

fuck all this shit

kate or enki on lignux
notepad++ or enki on wangblow

everything else a shit

>Vim
It's shit
>Atom
You shouldn't use a browser to edit text. Depends on non-free software.
>Sublime Text
Costs money, doesn't do anything worth while. Also is non-free.

Emacs is great if you need to do a bunch of shit. mg, ed or nano is good for smaller edits.

Use GNOME Builder in editor mode

What about kakoune?

Attached: kakoune.webm (958x527, 726K)

1. Lots of great shortcuts
2. Less overhead than a gui
3. Color and parses with different langs.

I use it because it's the only editor which comes pre-installed with every Linux distribution I'm using, at least in a minimal form.
Several distributions additionally ship GNU nano, SUSE Linux Enterprise has Emacs installed by default.

If you aren't using vim keybinds at least you are just plain and simply doing it wrong.

I think I remember this not being on windows. That looks really cool though.

>at least in a minimal form.
That's because it's Vi you're talking about, not Vim.
This "Vim is installed everywhere" meme needs to die.

Modal editing is objectively less efficient, and merely a compromise for keyboard without proper modifiers.

Why would anyone with a job prefer vim aside from emacs?

>citation needed

Only if you're a retard that can't use it properly.

lightweight (at least compared to anything browser based like Atom), a lot of available plugins, libre and rather convenient when you get used to it.

great shortcuts? WTF

>press modifier to change mode
>release it to change mode
Instead of
>press and release separate key to change mode
Modal editing is _objectively_ less efficient.

What does "using it properly" mean?

The last time I've checked, the default vi program/symlink shipped on Debian and Ubuntu comes from the vim-tiny package, on Fedora/CentOS from vim-minimal and on SUSE from vim.
Arch is pretty much the only alive Linux distribution which packages a patched version of the traditional ex-vi program (which still gets installed on most new installations because most users install the whole base group for strange reasons), which otherwise is only still shipped on BSDs and commercial UNIX operating systems. Even Slackware defaults to elvis instead because of its shortcomings.

You're assuming the default is insert mode, which it isn't for good reason.

what program did you use to show the key presses

>it's design predates keyboard idioms you take for granted like Ctrl+S/Ctrl+O/etc. or even standard ANSI keys like Ctrl, Alt, Ins/Del/Home/End, or even arrow keys, so none of those are used in the default keyboard shortcuts.
>it’s common so it’s good

>Vim is also shit, people frequently mistake vim for the much older vi, citing ubiquity and minimalism as it's key features when none of those apply to vim
Vim is more ubiquitous. I’m pretty sure RHEL now ships with it instead of vi as of 7.
>Use GNU nano if you value your time and productivity. It's shortcuts are easy to learn
They’re also 10 times less powerful than vi/vim’s.

Why do you think I'm assuming it?
I too used Vim, you know.

Based

it makes me feel smart

based and redpilled

Because otherwise what you said makes no sense.
You're already in normal mode by default. That's the point.

>it's design predates keyboard idioms you take for granted like Ctrl+S/Ctrl+O/etc. or even standard ANSI keys like Ctrl, Alt, Ins/Del/Home/End, or even arrow keys, so none of those are used in the default keyboard shortcuts.
>implying that's a bad thing
That's the single greatest feature of vim you degenerate.

You don't ever change mode from insert to normal?
Funny. And you tell me I'm "not using it properly".

Are you stupid or pretending?
Normal is the default mode because it's used more. You change modes to insert text, then change back. This is two extra keys for entering text, but fewer for anything else.

>Use GNU nano
To the trash it goes. Modeless editors are worthless if you can't use the mouse to interact with them.

Atom is libre software.

>Are you stupid or pretending?
Right back at you.
I know. Normal is the default. You don't have to convince me on that.
That said, last time I checked, switching from one mode to the other literally is changing mode, by definition.
Why do you think acknowledging that makes one retarded?
That said, non-modal editing objectively requires less keypresses overall. Try mixing short bursts of insertion/commands and you'll see why.

It's a bloated piece of shit sadly

> Emacs is great
Just google "How do I duplicate a whole line in Emacs?" and come back here.

Attached: 4c753ae2b18f5cbbcbaaa273c70299e1.png (303x303, 91K)

But nano does have mouse support.
And modeless is better regardless of it.

>Try mixing short bursts of insertion/commands
Try not doing that, because it's inefficient.

Sour grapes.

C-k C-y C-y you piece of shit dumb nigger

>use tool badly
>complain tool is bad
Again, the whole point of normal mode being normal is that most editing tasks involve navigating and manipulating the existing text, which it does efficiently. Switching between modes all the time is not a normal way to use vim.

You forgot C-a at the beginning.
All those steps just to duplicate a fucking line.
TOP KEK

Attached: 6469b8a2f02b17d7cdfe894f2ab90fe9.jpg (960x804, 64K)

Easy guest control via modelines.

>modelines
Oof
thehackernews.com/2019/06/linux-vim-vulnerability.html?m=1

>perform operation
>release it to change mode
How is this considerably more time consuming than
>start holding modifier to change mode
>perform operation
>release modifier to change mode

The difference is almost non-existent to begin with, and as soon as you perform more than one operation in succession modal editing becomes more efficient if you use the raw amount of keypresses as a benchmark. And fact is, you almost never insert, then only perform one operation and then go right back to inserting. Usually you enter a long chain of operations before returning to inserting. Hence modes are more efficient and make total sense.

I use either Sakura (wangblows) or micro (Linux). anything else is bloated garbage.

I've tried to move around with the keyboard but it makes me "sick", like if I use a mouse to scroll most applications use smoothing or something. With a keyboard it's usually a very hard cut. It's also worse for giving you context since often one program scroll X lines and others Y.
Anyone else with this problem?

The best thing is that the C-S-Backspace binding for kill-whole-line doesn't work on most terminal emulators because either Ctrl+Backspace or Shift+Backspace is a shortcut for ^H.

well If i was using "duplicate line" so often I would probably write a function which does this, bind it to key and voila! I have single key combo that duplicates the line. Why is Jow Forums full of retards like this

Then you'd write a function for "delete line", then a function for "copy line", then a function for "highlight line", etc. Why are you calling other people retarded when you don't even understand how Vim's composable model is better than your ad hoc bindings?

>I think I remember this not being on windows
jesus girl what are you even doing

Attached: 1559394941379.jpg (500x500, 74K)

What do terminal emulators not recognizing it have to do with it?

How do I duplicate a whole line in Vim?

yyp
or ^y$p

That's just 1 keypress less when compared to Emacs.

Vim niggers need to be rounded up.

Attached: hot-sale-rustic-industrial-shelf-solid-wood-steel-pipes-in-metal-and-bookshelf-idea-13.jpg (320x400, 147K)

is that including or excluding modifier keys like ctrl or shift and pasting?

Fine as a text-editor but.. people who use vim don't have a need for a complete IDE? After you get used to jetbrains' features, specially for refactoring and analysis, not to mention so many integrations, I would have to find the equivalent on vim. It would probably end it up like a frankenvim, if such plugins exist and are well maintained.

/thread

cringe

You can delete a line with dd, copy it with yy, lowercase it with guu, etc. But the thing is, those operators are composable with any motion you have - you can combine them with "word forward", "2 word backward", "2 lines updward", etc.

You don't need most of those features to be inside your editor. You can install one plugin for LSP, and that takes care of that, anything else you can use an external tool for. Also nothing prevents you from using Jetbrains in tandem with your editor of choice. Just don't use the terrible editor the IDE ships with.

I haven't really found myself to be constantly needing IDE features anyway, most of the time a regular editor with simple completion and search&replace is enough to produce working code. What IDE features do you use frequently?

>What IDE features do you use frequently?
Most of the refactoring tools, local history, integrated git options like in panels and in the gutter. Very handy when you want to know which co-worker you'll have to blame that day or when you want to understand why that particular line exists. It's also my DB manager, in a couple of shortcuts or clicks I can go from my local db to even a read-only access to my production db in read only mode and automatic ssh tunnel.
The search is also very powerful. There's more but I'll stop here because I sound like a jetbrains shill but desu I'm worried how much ahead they are and I wish it was free software instead.

> being too lazy to press like four buttons
I bet your dad comes down to the basement every morning to ask you how you are and how your "groundbreaking" app is coming along. you probably tell him that it's going well and that you predict that google will buy it for millions, not having the heart to tell him that your big idea was implemented better than you ever could have done by some Chinese teenager two years ago.
Your dad probably laughs, practisedly concealing his worries. "good job. keep working hard, champ. i'm proud of you." he'll say, ignoring the fact that you haven't left the basement for a week now. He just wants the best for you, regardless of your shortcomings. He leaves, and you go back to ricing your desktop in preparation for your next big project. This'll be the one, you think to yourself - this will be bought up by Google for sure! Just wait til' you're a multi-millionaire, they'll all see!
While you modify Vim keybindings to let you copy text with one keystroke instead of three, your dad stifles sobs as he realises he failed you.

no you fucktard, c-k deletes line and copies it to killring from which it is pasted with c-y... anyway, I see you are a vim fag... once you realize that peak productivity doesn't happen because of superior editing capabilities with least number of keystrokes, you realize that being productive in programming is much more than that. fucking kids

Well, an LSP setup lets you perform any common refactoring operations I can think of (rename, go-to-definition and more). Not sure what local history is, just ctrl-z? Git is obviously a nice thing to have, and most editors (vscode, emacs, and lastly vim somewhat) have all basic git operation available that make sense in your editor (like git blame). Going further, there's snippet managers that let you quickly write boilerplate (if you use such an unfortunate language that is filled with it). For global search&replace I either use a line of perl in the terminal or ag 'search_pattern' | xargs gvim and go through the matches one by one, file by file.

So all in all I'd say you _can_ manage most of those things well with a relatively basic editor setup. The upside is that you now have a unified editor for every language and you can still use your IDE occasionally if it offers something extra, like a nice debugger. The downside is some amount of initial setup.

>peak editor doesn't have peak editing capabilities
what am I reading

Bim got hacked faggots get cucked kek

Attached: IMG_20190529_085038_481.jpg (812x1024, 61K)

Is this a pasta?
Can I make a pasta out of this?
Amazing writing btw

Attached: cb5fffda19b2ed382b0a9618ec96250927d74975.jpg (380x575, 78K)

run "vimtutor" and you know why. also take a look at these boomer video from luke smith on vim.

if you think Vim is still bloated (which it is) just compile it yoursef by doing:

./configure --enable-gui=no --with-features=tiny --without-gnome --without-x

Download "nightly" at: github.com/vim/vim/releases

The text editing capabilities of vim are great, but I've given up on fiddling around with plugins and vimscript to get a half functional hacky feature that just works out of the box in some other editors. I just use VS Code with vim emulation now and everything just works with zero configuration.

endless timesink and config file eventually ends up looking like schizophrenic hobo scribbles on wall of a public bathroom. i don't even know why anymore (still opens and loads a file in fraction of a second, that's why).

Attached: 2019-06-12-223510_787x865_scrot.png (787x865, 141K)

I fucking hate this shit so much

Attached: demolished.gif (460x345, 492K)

The thing that made me drop vim immediately was realizing that some people outright put vimconfig garbage directly in their source files because ricing vimrc isn't enough for them

Starting folding when it gets too much

Attached: 2019-06-12_22:02:32.png (959x1062, 37K)

am I blind or is that a modified version of solarized light? if so, link? ty

I use microsoft word. I think it's a pretty good editor overall.

It's just default

Attached: lel.png (1705x703, 251K)

the contrast for solarized gets messed up quite easily because of some reason, if you don't compile or use a color scheme that is solarized in your terminal then the colorscheme in vim won't be genuine.

What about vis? it's capable of do 90% of the things that vim and kakoune do, with 90% less sloc: github.com/martanne/vis

Sadly, development is a bit paused, still it have a very interesting approach to editing using structural regular expressions

because I dont have to take my fingers off the keyboard at any point in my workflow.

Vim is more about the editing of text itself. Emacs is about automating shit with macros as much as you can, so you don't need to give a shit about the editing process. Although i like emacs' text editing more, because elisp is easier to understand and make my own shit for

Macros

That's literally it, fuck your toy editors. I can do macros on the fly and you're stuck editing 90 rows by hand

Seriously check out Spacemacs. It is a pre-configured emacs so one does not have to become a basement dweller recluse before being productive, it also has great support for vi-bindings. I want to use an emacs because when you work with more than 2-3 mainstream languages, the IDE situation becomes shitty fast and org-mode is pretty fucking great at anything to do with organizing.

And pressing 0v$yp is that much better?

yyp

vim has operators for this exact reason