Did we run into a brick wall in GPU technology...

Did we run into a brick wall in GPU technology? 2 years ago the 1080ti was released and still neither nvidia or amd can deliver anything better. Amds 5700XT is only slightly better then a 2070/1080 and nvidias 2080ti which is only 30% costs double the price.

When the hell are we going to get 1080ti+ performance for reasonable prices? That card came out 2 years ago ffs.

Attached: shollister_190609_3480_0012.5.jpg (1200x800, 118K)

Nvidia is milking you and AMD is following the market trends set by Nvidia. A big Navi WILL be faster than the 1080ti. The question is how much $?

Attached: 04b02ee2ef6b313d9dd849d644ee5ad2.png (696x678, 174K)

There has been no good cards since the Voodoo 2

> ... and still neither nvidia or amd can deliver anything better
> ...nvidias 2080ti which is only 30% (better)

pick one faggot

700 dollars is already retardedly expensive for a gpu and giving 30% better performance for 1400 is NOT an improvement.

so you want cheaper cards, not better cards.
I'm not happy with the pricing, but as long as AMD or another company don't get their shit together and provide competition in the HIgh-End market Nvidia can do whatever the fuck they want, especially with prices.

t. poorfag

No I want better cards. And seeing how even Nvidia can only come up with 30% improvement at the cost of doubling the price it means were fucked.

> ONLY 30% improvement
seriously?
we're not in the early 2000's anymore, even a 10-15% increase compared to last-gen isn't bad.

Attached: what are you poor.png (500x617, 298K)

5700xt is a fairly small midrange card. The name should be a hint.
If the 5800xt is 64 compute units, then it would be close to a 2080ti.

Wrong. Run the numbers on previous gens. You will find 35-45% improvement for the same price every gen. RTX 20 series is the exception.

It seems like in the past manufacturers could bruteforce their way to better performance with larger dies at the expense of higher TDP, but we're starting to hit a brick wall not only in TDP, but also in manufacturing processes. Nvidia are still on 12nm, AMD switching to 7nm raises their prices almost to Nvidia levels, Nvidia's switch to 7nm will make their cards even more expensive, 5nm is out the question with current manufacturing technology, and anything below that is in fact physically impossible.

you don't have to chase every gen of GPU
just wait for next gen

more of less true. i'm holding onto my 1080ti until the RTX 3000 series releases and will just pay whatever unreasonable amount of shekels to get the best card, and then not upgrade for a decade

>the notch was the last thing raja designed before he left

Attached: drop the polaris.png (969x622, 686K)

1080ti + i7 8700K 5GHz is the eternal gaming build, literally never obsolete.

it will be obsolete in about 5 years when 7nm reaches it peak and 5nm is "just around the corner". but yeah good build that will hopefully get enough life out of that you grow out of gayming entirely

you will find 5700xt meets the 35% improvement over the previous gen even at the current prices. It almost doubles the performance per die area compared to Polaris.

>A big Navi WILL be faster than the 1080ti
assuming RDNA actually scales past 3k shaders.
GCN had problems with that

8700K + 20180ti is basically the new 2600k + 680
worked wonders for me until a couple months ago, needed an upgrade.
still runs most games at low to medium at 1080p though

>midrange card
>450usd
I am disgusted by this hell of a GPU market and the inane faggots that think this is ok.

Waiting for 3 years and It looks like I'll be waiting another few.

Attached: Waiting-Skeleton.jpg (298x403, 32K)

It's not a lot bigger in die area than a RX 580. It will come down in price.

I remember buying a gtx580 superoverclock in 2011 for $650 AUD 'fastest graphics card in the world'. $650 for a graphics card was big money I thought...

Not with those 6 cores when both next gen consoles will be using 8 cores.

The 5700 is a better card. Comparable performance to its competition at a (albeit only slightly) lower price, while also being vastly more power efficient than its predecessor. Its the very first generation of a new architecture, so it can only go up from here. And we haven't even seen AIB models yet.

>The 5700 is a better card

It's literally a 3 year late gtx 1080 for maybe 50 dollars less.

>Did we run into a brick wall in GPU technology?
No, we run into obscene milking from both companies.

Assuming it is on par with a 2070, that makes it superior to the 1080 in like 80+% of games. That is also on a fucking blower model. Its going to be overclocked and perform even greater once outfitted with dual/triple fan setups. Add another $50 for a decent AIB card will put it at $500. $100 less than the 1080s launch price, while also blowing the fucks out of it in every category.

I agree that the prices are still fucking absurd, but i hope that this is the starting of the trend that will bring prices back to sane levels.

Yeah it will probably be ~10% better then the 3 year old 1080 which I could have bought for 500$ years ago.

This is just another meaningless launch. Just like the RTX cards.

nvidia already officially responded months ago that if they needed to, they can just release another titan. and also said, if the competition was big enough, they could just move to 7nm

stop kvetching and buy rtx super.

>poorfag
>have to carefully research your shit before purchasing tech
>richfag
>lol haha. I'll buy this, and this, and this.
>wait, I spend all that money on my pc, yet it is still lagging when I launch a game. mhh what could cause this
>has literally 40+ startup programs slowing his pc down to the point where he gets less fps than the poor fag
yeah. I'd rather be a poorfag than a literally braindead fucking consumer drone, following his jewish masters call to consume

I'm not sure GPUs even have great future prospects. We are seeing partial raytracing in games with nvidia rtx stuff now it's safe to assume they will raytrace the entire thing and ditch raster altogether at some point. Although GPU rendering is somewhat popular of late it's mainly because they're much cheaper per mm of silicon. Here's a rough example, rtx2080 and vega VII are just over 4x faster than the CPU render, great right? But then consider the CPU, it was 8700k 6 core intel, TDP is 95w vs almost 300w for the GPUs, the die area is tiny in comparison, the CPU itself performs poorly to some other CPUs.

One of the upcoming 64 core epycs will absolutely crush the GPUs in that benchmark while using less power. Raytracing on a CPU is also far more flexible and less work. Nvidia could try creating pure raytracing ASICs but it would be difficult to get people to make nvidia only games..

Attached: raytrace.png (1045x741, 52K)

DRIPFEEDING, you moron

Attached: 10102_12077.jpg (516x516, 102K)

0/10

RTX 2060 is already faster than the GTX 1080.
Turing gets all the benefits of game ready drivers while Pascal stagnates.

The GTX 1080 was a 600 dollars 3 years ago. They only dropped the price when the Ti was released.
Disregarding your entitled nerd bullshit, the RTX 2060 is nearly double the price to performance of a launch GTX 1080.

>vega 56 on par with a 1080 for half the price
>want to get one but also want to wait to see what happens with the rtx super line up
the ride never ends

7nm dies are around twice the price of 14nm.

He was VP of RTG he didnt design anything, just handle business. Titles like chief architect are probably just for show. It's like saying the CEO of a subsidiary of Google directly worked on the tech. Therea 0 chance of that. Not sure why Jow Forums and r/AMD perpetuate bullshit about Raja and Keller

>Amds 5700XT is only slightly better then a 2070/1080
The 2070 is ~10% faster than a 1080, and the 5700 XT is ~6% faster than the 2070. ~15% faster than a 1080 is not 'slightly' better.

Attached: GTX1080.png (1324x1664, 71K)

Nvidia is milking hard. They had no reason to make big jumps and still don't, since mid-range Navi is a disappointment.

I want to know when a 2080Ti will be reliable.

probably one core will be reserved for the OS, while clocks will be kept low for pwoer and heat reasons. a 8700K will be perfectly fine for a long time.

>and the 5700 XT is ~6% faster than the 2070.
Hey dude, let's wait on some benchmarks. Preferably from someone other than the salesman aka an unbiased 3rd party.