Almost there

lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/06/msg00003.html
Almost there

Attached: QejMA3f.jpg.png (3840x2160, 2.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/QejMA3f.jpg,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've been waiting for this very impatiently

Attached: 1552695837446.png (775x1024, 93K)

Fuck yea, boys!

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 18.55.12.jpg (2588x1346, 271K)

No more x86 support ;_;

Well you can always use antix or MX, closest thing to debian and that supports x86 architecture

i386 is still a fully supported architecture. Pure i586 machines and older, except those which are almost compatible with the i686 instruction set (e.g. AMD Geode lacking the NOPL instruction), have already been dropped in Stretch.

Oh yes, that seems to be the case. I'm sure I read about 32 bit going away soon. I was stressing about cross-grading.

While the distribution is still compiled for i686, it does appear they give even less much attention to ensuring that critical software packages such as Firefox or Qt (fun fact: in both cases either Rust or Javascript are the culprits) will run on processors without SSE2 instructions.
If you're currently running Debian 9 for example on a Pentium III era Thinkpad and really need such packages, be cautious about upgrading.

>.jpg.png
Wut

OP tried to download i.imgur.com/QejMA3f.jpg, but imgur delivered the original PNG file instead (you can in fact use any imgur link with either jpg/gif/png extensions and it will deliver the right thing) and therefore their browser appended a png extension.

neat. I am just about to install stretch, so I can just update to it on release if I stay with stable right?

.jpg.png.webp

if your sources.list doesn't specify "stretch" by name and just uses "stable" instead then yes.

what does this mean, it says release but people have already been using buster for a while?

it has been frozen for a while now and people have been using that. but even not frozen testing is more or less usable.

BASED, REDPILLED and BLESSED thread.

but its the same thing (at the moment) right? after the install it is set to stretch but I can just change it to stable and update

at the moment stable points to stretch, testing to currently frozen buster. after buster release stable will point to buster, and oldstable will point to stretch. you can change and update whatever you like at any point, release upgrades in debian are relatively pain-free

you can think of it like files and symlinks

jessie/stretch/buster/sid are files
oldstable/stable/testing/unstable are symlinks that at various times point to various files

ah I see. thanks for explaining

Is Debian good for an absolute newfag like me?

Attached: 1556336336279.jpg (580x556, 39K)

Yes.
Download the live image with nonfree drivers and it's as easy to install as Ubuntu.
You can even install using Calamares now.
Give it a go, Debian is comfy.

No. Stay with Ubuntu LTS.

Yes

Why should I use Debian (stable or testing) over Ubuntu?

>Why should I use the upstream distro and not the modified training wheels Debian distro based on Debian
I don't know user, maybe you should ask yourself that.

Use whatever you like most.
In my case, one of the reasons is that I tried both and felt that GNOME 3.32 on Ubuntu 19.04 is much slower than 3.30 on Debian buster.

I am on buster right now, updated from stretch last weekend.
Everyone works. x86 is enabled and works (steam games).

What will happen when they release it? I just changed all "stretch" to "buster" in my sources.list and was good to go. After update,upgrade,dist-upgrade everything worked. nearly... gnome was gone because it deinstalled it and I had to reinstall it. I did this to two pc and all the time gnome was being deleted.

good riddance
most people installing x86 nowadays are doing it by mistake, everything back to prescott pentium 4 supports x86_64

No idea. I used Debian testing/Sid for three years and got tired of it; Ubuntu just werks for me. I still have debian on the homeserver, however.

Can you read?
Yes: Debian
Yes but I want to as little as possible: Linux Mint Debian Edition
No: Ubuntu or Linux Mint