Piracy

Let's face it: Copyright infringement, aka "piracy" is not theft.
Theft is:
>the taking of another person's property or services without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

Piracy is:
>an act of robbery or criminal violence by ship or boat-borne attackers upon another ship or a coastal area, typically with the goal of stealing cargo and other valuable items or properties.

Internet privacy is basically copyig data. Can you own various combinations of 0s and 1s? No, of course not.

Attached: 1559745655115.png (800x454, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
zeit.de/digital/games/2018-11/computer-games-gdr-stasi-surveillance-gamer-crowd/komplettansicht
youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=PunkBuster&oldid=531949716#EULA_Details
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Richard Stallman and the GNU Project have criticized the use of the word "piracy" in these situations, saying that publishers use the word to refer to "copying they don't approve of" and that "they [publishers] imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them."

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

>A 1979 East German court ruling found that software was "neither a scientific work nor a creative achievement" and ineligible for copyright protection.

zeit.de/digital/games/2018-11/computer-games-gdr-stasi-surveillance-gamer-crowd/komplettansicht

Attached: cfdad3218ce869630905012e4de596be.jpg (610x400, 31K)

I'm helping.

Attached: sddsfsdfsdfsdf.jpg (300x218, 17K)

Attached: -v- discusses piracy.png (934x771, 468K)

>piracy steals income

Copying isn't stealing, user.

Attached: hZRMXmN.png (636x426, 167K)

>implying that you own theorical incomes

According to United States law apparently you can.

>not buying our product is stealing our income

Attached: 1385575248532500784.gif (280x210, 1.54M)

youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

>didn't go to your store
>didn't buy your bread
Did I steal your income?

This is was a real issue before internet, where pirates were literally selling ripped music etc - hence why the entire anti-piracy thing started. Modern piracy has nothing to do with that, in fact it is a complete misnomer.

heres a simple thought experiment:
its generally understood that people have a right to boycott businesses.
why then, do people voice objections when it is corporations that boycott you?

I know I'm stealing. I enjoy it.

based

>reminder that these people are acting liek the morally just
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Keep being a pirate, arrr.

>I know I'm stealing.

You're not. You're just copying.

"Piracy is a service problem" - Gabe Newell

I don't or barely pirate games, music, or apps these days as all have great services that deliver what I want affordably.

I do pirate movies and TV shows because there is no good service for those. Netflix came close but was neutered by removal of its movie catalog and now TV shows by greedy shit media companies and now services are balkanised between a dozen crap offerings.

Attached: 416x416.jpg (416x415, 22K)

The problem is that, if you try to make a competitor to YouTube or Patreon, Visa and MasterCard will shut you down, and burdensome government regulations make creating a competitor to Visa and MasterCard extremely difficult.
It's ultimately the government's fault, not the companies' fault.

Attached: right-wing-censorship-comic1[1].png (1000x1000, 102K)

Or punkbuster:
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=PunkBuster&oldid=531949716#EULA_Details

Meh, i still copy music illegally becasue i'm kinda poor and i feel okay with that. Whenever i like something a lot and i've got some bux to spare i'll buy the cd on bandcamp.

At what point does copying classified or internal data constitute a felony? At what point does copying or cracking something that requires a 1000$ license constitute theft?

I must have downloaded several thousand music albums over the years. I haven't bought a single CD since 1997. Did I copy or did I steal?

>en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=PunkBuster&oldid=531949716#EULA_Details
amazing

>buy the cd on bandcamp
>cd
>on bandcamp

Attached: 129.gif (198x189, 1.33M)

You can even buy tapes on BC, it's usually limited though/

No piracy.
>there are 120-150 people who need something automated
>spend a month programming.
>sell it for $9.95 expecting to make little over a grand
>invest half of the money into a better computer
>there are 300-400 people who need something else automated
>get a loan
>hire an employee
>spend a month programming.
>sell it for $14.95
>there are around 2000 people who need something automated
>expand business, hire more employees, rent better workspace...
>...
>12 years later
>be multi-millonare company employing dozens (even hundreds) of people.
>...
>12 more years alter
>become incorporated
>be multi-billionare corporation employing hundreds (even thousands) of people

With piracy.
>spend a month making it.
>sell it for $9.95 expecting to make little over a grand
>pirate buys it.
>pirate puts it for free.
>only a couple people actually bought it
>made less than a hundred bucks in total
>literally gonna starve now
>get a job at McDonalds
>everyone realizes this is unprofitable business
>no software companies exist
>nothing is automated outside companies who can pay dedicated programmers.

Attached: business-cat.jpg (2048x1024, 709K)

habit of speech, i don't really buy the cd though

>why then, do people voice objections when it is corporations that boycott you?
The individual within the structure of society is free to pursue whatever interests they desire within the confines of the law, that's largely the driving force behind western society and political thinking. Corporations only exist to make a profit for their owners, either private owners or shareholders. As soon as they exceed that capacity they're exceeding the role society has set for them (and actually for many business the law but legality always lags technology). Using the threat of refusing to do business with individuals for their personal/political affairs is akin to using economic terrorism to force political change with said corporation's disproportionate resources as a weapon that no individual or even loose group of individuals could ever hope to overcome. This is clear cut corporate tyranny and why the government exists as a regulatory force in our market economies, so the people can retain control of the politics and social order in the face of monolithic entities that have wildly disproportionate resources to draw from should they desire to attempt to take control for themselves.

>i still copy music illegally becasue i'm kinda poor and i feel okay with that

same here - being a poorfag is a living hell

Corporations are not people.

Why retards like you imply that every copy would be sold otherwise?
As far as I know what happens the most, and what usually I do:
- download non-free software from torrents
- try it
- if I like it I buy it, just because I like it and want to support it
Same goes for music

Is that you, Papa S?

>Jow Forums in charge of bending law
You're a worse lawyer than Jimmy McGill in his scammer days.

>or services

> Can you own various combinations of 0s and 1s?
yes, according to the law regarding the propagation and storage of data, you can. It is the exact reason the law will prosecute you if you download certain types of image, or download documents that dont belong to you. Your argument that you cannot own 1's and 0's on a disk is fully negated by the fact that half the criminal law, and a good deal of civil law is precisely dealing with the ownership, distribution, and storage of data.
your argument is, frankly, extremely childish, naive, and without a single solitary iota of credibility

The world isn't United States.

Copyright infringement is a contractual violation and hence a violation of the NAP
Get over here pussy boi, you're my slave now

Whose quote is it?

I used to care. But if I'm not using something that doesn't generate revenue for myself I don't care if it has a "TM" sign on it or not. Plus with open source I don't even think about "copyright" at all.

What's wrong with stealing from the companies?

Attached: IMG_20190611_172843_733.jpg (1000x748, 118K)

If the company is ok then you're beeing rude by taking their work without paying/donating. However when the company is actively trying to milk you and is using anti customer practices or even directly harm them(google,ms,apple,etc.) you're morally allowed to boycott them.

Arr mateys! That be some fine source sailin' over yonder. What say we show those proprietary dogs what for and take yonder booty fer our own?

No.

Mine I guess.

Piracy:It removes POTENTIAL revenue, meaning that revenue may or may not occur in the absence of piracy.
Theft: it removes the object and ACTUAL value revenue, meaning real value is lost and all that is derived from it until the theft is resolved.
If a pirate can't pirate that doesn't mean he'll buy.

>East German court
Yea but today Germany is tough on piracy.

> people have a right to boycott businesses.
No they don't.

You stole the recipe you nigger.

Attached: sb_krabs_door_1280.jpg (1280x1024, 243K)

limewire, Grokster etc

Intellectual property
Say something smart in public
>blah blah blah smart blah smart
Now nobody can repeat it without giving you shekels and if the due you sue them.
It's ridiculous.
As long as you expose you intellectual property in public then it's fair game to whatever.

*they do

>>Jow Forums in charge of bending law
Better that the boomers that can't figure out MS word

The only way you own your own software product is by actually owning it, making it piracy bullet proof and actually extracting money from it.
If you can't then you don't really own it even if you made it.

>Licensee agrees that any harm or lack of privacy resulting from the installation and use of PunkBuster software is not as valuable to Licensee as the potential ability to play interactive online games.

Gamer cucks are literally cucks. The licensee is agreeing that if a privacy breach results in their wife getting raped, then it's okay because at least they got to play soideo games.

>Chill, bro! I'm just gonna pirate your gf's ass for a second.

Attached: 81M8-CbY4EL._SY445_.jpg (678x381, 36K)

>this thread again
lol if there's something i want i'll pirate it. if i can't find it for free i'll buy it. pirating is easier than buying shit.

You're such a retard. Rape is not copying data, it's assault. You don't hack into some guys computer, upload a virus and then go away by downloading a movie.

To determine if something is ethical, let's first say that an ethical thing is something ideally everyone would do. Like let's say "not stealing". Obviously it's possible for everyone to not steal so it doesn't violate that requirement. Let's see if copyright infringement - or piracy - holds up to the same scrutiny. Let's imagine two hypothetical worlds for our thought experiment.

World A: No one pirates. Companies make games and software with the incentive that people will buy it since no one pirates.

World B: Everyone pirates. Companies have no incentive to create games and software since they'll just get it pirated away from them. With no companies making things, there becomes nothing to pirate thus piracy is impossible.

World B is a paradoxical world where everyone pirates yet no one pirates. If piracy was a logically good thing to do then we could have everyone do said thing without creating a paradox. Therefore we must strive for World A if our ethics are to logically make any sense.

Attached: 1557594723385.jpg (1536x1536, 255K)

Let's live in the world where people share the source code and make software for themselves and the community.

Attached: IMG_20190611_171303_429.jpg (1024x1024, 131K)

Most devs for opensource projects are full time employees for a company. The company uses proprietary code that depends on the open source project. If the company went under because of piracy, the devs would lose their jobs and you'd lose your precious opensource software

>Console World: No one pirates. Companies make games and software with the incentive that people will buy it since no one pirates.
>PC world: Everyone pirates. Companies port console games haphazardly and refuse to port exclusive titles. Large companies have no incentive to create games so indie toon 8bit walking simulator shitshows flood the market with patreon money and microtransactions. Trading card scam game companies. Multiplayer only deathmatch/moba/battle royal. Clearance bin bundles of 20 games for 20 dollars (They are all shit games).

Piracy is gonna create a world full of stuff you can't pirate.
>Micro transactions
>Streaming games (Stadia)
>Cloud/SaaS
Can't wait for the next wonderful thing piracy will bring me!

Attached: 1438131060483 (1).jpg (540x445, 63K)

How would I lose my precious free software if the source code will be available?

Attached: IMG_20190611_172623_383.jpg (529x697, 62K)

>only a couple people actually bought it
>98% of people are able to pirate obscure software
That's made up shit. Furthermore, this is why you do SaaS instead of desktop software. You can't pirate SaaS.

>he posted it again
It's cute when trolls think getting constantly BTFO by everyone else makes them a winner.

True dude, unmaintained opensource projects never go away, stop working, or become security issues.

>unironically claiming that console games are better than PC games
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh WOW

I bet you're the same retard who bitches about XFCE and SysV being "outdated" because they're feature complete and only get basic security fixes

>bugs are insects. Program failures are not bugs, they're human errors

Attached: 03062f55ef0363efb2f88d3403136657f41ac40a.jpg (640x640, 36K)

>implying downloaded movies don't have viruses

If the community needs them, they will be maintained.

>copying data is immoral because it's theft
>program failures lay eggs because they're bugs

>the community that can't even make a Photoshop clone will maintain all software
Lmao

Intellectual property is not really property. Property is a natural right that arose as a consequence of natural scarcity, i.e. this t-shirt is mine because I'm wearing it and not you. Ideas don't suffer from scarcity, so cannot be property.

If piracy is theft than abortion is murder
Both are true but I simply don't give a shit

Attached: fortranlain.jpg (900x900, 152K)

I thought this anti-piracy cancer shitposting was a /v/ only thing

Piracy is like faux Chinese copies of products with 1:1 quality. Are Chinese faux copies outlawed?

Agreed, Piracy isn't theft. Saying piracy is theft is like saying squishing an ant is murder, it's illogical and untrue.

>companies have no incentive to create games and software
>everyone realizes this is unprofitable business
>no software companies exist
>nothing is automated outside companies who can pay dedicated programmers
Sounds good to me. Why should we as a society give up our freedoms just to prop up some asshole's unprofitable business?

>abortion is murder
>Both are true but I simply don't give a shit
Let me stop you right there. If a mad scientist implanted a parasite baby into your body, would it be considered murder to remove it if removal meant it's death? Abortion certainly can be gross negligence but it isn't murder.

It would be murder of course, if you know for sure that it will die. The question isn't murder, it's whether or not you're okay with it.

>allowed
it is an obligation; if you passively assent to tyranny, not only do you further continuing harms against yourself and others, but you also legitimize the thing that you hypocritically claim to be against.
>it's possible for everyone to not steal
is it?
if, for example, all the land is owned by A and B, where shall C live?
shall he just consign himself to drown, or live a slave on some feudal lords property?
>paradox
equivocation is not a paradox.
copying is not piracy.
copyright has only existed in all history, but in the last 300 year since the statute of anne (1710)
ancient to renaissance invention and art clearly did not suffer for lack of it.

Hey boomer, here's a better explanation for you. So sick of people comparing piracy to theft.

Attached: piracyvtheft.png (940x560, 36K)

"Intellectual property" is bloat

>It would be murder of course, if you know for sure that it will die.
It definitely wouldn't be. You have no obligation to keep that baby alive in your body just because some mad scientist happened to implant it in you and the intent is not to kill the baby but to remove it from your body. Dying happens to be the consequence, but not the point

Piracy should be legal. DRM to fight it should also be legal, so as long as it doesn't infringe on consumer rights by interfering with the ability to use a product you rightfully purchased. Reselling copyrighted content should not be legal

I agree.

I have no responsibility to keep anyone alive, but running over a hobo with my car doesn't stop being murder if I say that I only wanted some fast food and he was in my way.

It's still murder, just under certain circumstances. You know that your actions will lead to baby's death. Again, it's all about your values and personal take on the situation. But it's still murder.

>Can you own various combinations of 0s and 1s?
As it turns out, you can, just like you can own certain combinations of letters and numbers, or certain combinations of ink on a canvas.

Nice strawman. There's a very big difference between running over people recklessly and wanting a parasite baby removed from your body.

Really depends of definition of murder but at least the way I'm using it, it doesn't just mean ending another being's life.

Uh huh. And having a mad scientist implant a parasite in you is the same as regretting not using a condom. You know, it'd be nice for one of you people to at least attempt have an honest dicussion for once, but I realize that's asking too much from someone who is willing to play semantics to pretend like human life doesn't count as human life until they say so. I'll just stop wasting my time, then.

this is true, but trivial. corporations are groups of people.
are you suggesting that it is reasonable for 1 (one) person to boycott, but for some arbitrary integer n > 1, it is wrong for n or more people to boycott?

>Saying piracy is theft is like saying squishing an ant is murder, it's illogical and untrue.
Except it literally is. By squishing the ant, you are killing the ant. Provided the ant did not start the confrontation (e.g., by biting you,) you are killing it for no good reason. That's murder.
>inb4 murder only applies to humans
Legally, yes. Ethically, no. This is why Jains carry brooms with them so they can sweep away insects in their path, in accordance with the principle of doing the least harm to any creature.