/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
I don't want an edition edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

Attached: hsg.jpg (2200x1515, 448K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/LSI-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-LSI-9201-8i-9211-8i-IT-Mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-US/142748462843?hash=item213c78aefb:g:5hAAAOSwS2lcNMz7
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

whats the sweet sopt for used enterprise mobos/CPUs/RAM these days? I kinda want my NAS to not be running a Q6600 anymore

Good fella
Good thread
Good luck

Noob question, can i run multiple services (xmpp, pleroma, NAS, ...) on 1 laptop?

you can run as much stuff as you have the RAM (and CPU cores, for more intensive things) to support. For personal stuff you can generally get away with pretty low-end specs.

Why the frick does Samba never work on my Ubuntu server uggghhh

I’ve started from scratch like 20 times. I just want one public share that everyone can access, and one private share per person on my network.

What does you homeserver do?

>plex
>smb
>Minecraft
>openVPN
>unifi
> + a raspi with pi-hole

Anyone know any good examples of capable wiki solutions?

Is there anything which allows me to pull in metadata from other pages and make a custom index? I have a lot of items with various properties to document...

Attached: squid3.png (553x668, 409K)

Thought so, thanks.

What would be the distro of choice? Debian?

I like Debian, though remember Buster is getting released early next month. You do generally want a slow-moving, stable distro so that once you have everything set up you can leave the machine in the corner and have it just werk with minimum hassle. That said, though, any distro you're comfortable with will work.

Operating cost wise the newest ones or new-ish consumer ARM/x86_64 are usually the best.

So there isn't really any sweet spot, unless you're in a place where power is near free or you know exactly how long you're going to operate the machine.

> metadata from other pages
Like... a search engine?

Wikis aren't generally made to deal with arbitrary js and html, they generally just read some of their supported syntax [markup, wiki codes, ...] and most of what they extract from that for other forms of presentation is explicitly specified in that syntax.

>Plex
>SMB/NAS
>Various game servers
>Leanote
>Some automated python scripts
Looking into pihole
Looking into nextcloud

In my particular case, I was thinking of having a category with a list of items. Each item is described in its own page (with lots of info and trivia) and has various indexable properties like "cost" and "size". What I would like however is some automated way of making another page which acts as an index of these pages, so I can quickly determine, say, what price a set of items are without going to each individual page.

Of course I could just make a script to do it, but it's always nice when your software has this sort of stuff built in somehow.

Why not just use a cloud solution?

Attached: cloud-storage-comparison-featured.jpg (1200x600, 66K)

>Each item is described in its own page (with lots of info and trivia) and has various indexable properties like "cost" and "size". What I would like however is some automated way of making another page which acts as an index of these pages, so I can quickly determine, say, what price a set of items are without going to each individual page.
Sounds more like a spreadsheet type of software. I'm sure there are also wikis with some support for spreadsheets, but I don't know which one would be good.

Of course you can relatively quickly program this in any typical web framework too if you know any.

>botnet bait
not even touching privacy concerns the cost savings alone for say an 8tb "cloud" is worth it to me.

1366 socket is cheap AF for cpus, 6 cores for about £10 each. Ddr 3 is relatively cheap too. Noisey and power hungry though, as with all older hardware.

Sweet spot for price and power consumption for used gear is probably a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge based Xeon system. There are a ton of used Dell PowerEdge servers out there for sale.

i would say the newest xeon you can afford that still accepts ddr3 if your going for value. If your power is expensive in the long run you would probably be better off with just the newest system you could afford.

very simple. after you add a share
(use example from smb.conf)
run 'smbpasswd -a $user' where user is unix user.
and it will just work after starting smb and nmb services.

When I'm downloading torrents to my server as an SMB share location from my media PC I get I/O errors, but it will download sometimes 30%-50% of it, then fail with an "I/0 error operation invalid". If I try to delete and re download I get 0.0% and errors right away. I can transfer files normally with no issue over the network SMB share. So I doubt the disks are having trouble.

The server is 8tb RAID 10 on debian
The the media PC is Ubuntu 19.04 using qbittorrent.

Not sure where to start with this issue, is this something that you just can't do?

Attached: ginger-beard-daily-mail.jpg (1024x615, 131K)

Probably qbit i have had off and on trouble with qbit downloading to smb share in the past. Switching clients for troubleshooting always solved it. Which sucks because i prefer qbit.

Define not working. Are you adding users to samba?

Best htpc-small server for my needs?
I dont mind if its little old, but it has to be intel 3th gen or newer, and cost less than 100€

Funny you should say that because I just downloaded something with out issue to the server using Deluge and W10. But fuck deluge if you want RSS feeds. RSS feeds was the heart of this whole venture too.

Mid post update; tried qbit from a hardwired w10 PC and it worked flawlessly. Good enough solution for me.

Got a single R710 under medium load, seems to be capping out IO though
Mostly running a web server and some stuff in docker(mostly public gameservers for a project and a community I know the managers of).
Any clue what might be the issue?
Running stock RAID card and an SSD as the OS drive, mostly because I haven't had a chance to swap it.

Any of the cheap office optiplex's you see around ebay.

What do you mean capping out IO? Disk? Light usage shouldn't stress a ssd. I'd put the raid card in it mode.

How do I build a lab for sysadmin and/or cyber security

Get win2016 eval mode and make an AD environment and then add some vms to it and push some group policy to run some powershell scripts to rename and domain join and change default apps

I just got a router (can't use the use on my clg dorm), what kind of simple projects can i do as an absolute beginner?

Why not YaRSS2 for Deluge?

Not exactly hsg, but on a VPS.
I'd like to host an instance of Gitea, and I'd also like repository data to be encrypted on disk. I'd like to achieve this without full disk encryption.
Ideas?

Attached: gitea.png (400x400, 14K)

You should probably run a SMART scan just to be sure... Might save you heartache down the road

Server:
Dell PowerEdge T110 ii
Xeon 1240v2
32GB ECC RAM
Mellanox CX3 FDR Infiniband adapter
Perc H700 / P100 (onboard)
2x 250GB SSD on P100 (OS)
8x 3TB SAS on H700 in RAID 5
2x 4TB USB3 HDD for back up (even / odd rotation, bare metal restore + important data only)
Server 2016 Essentials / Hyper-V / AD domain controller / DNS / DHCP / deploy and update services / opensm

Plex:
Dell Precision T1700 SFF
Xeon 1245v3
32GB ECC RAM
128gb ssd (OS)
2x 500GB SSD (misc)
Mellanox CX3 FDR Infiniband adapter
Server 2016 standard / Hyper-V / Plex

VM's:
Spread across both machines
5 node (1 master / 4 worker) Kubernetes cluster on Debian, with GlusterFS handling storage, and treated like bare metal, and used for learning and automation testing.

I don't have enough disk IO to come close to saturating the 56gbit Infiniband link, but I'll hit about 3gbit at peak. It's also nice not to choke Plex's streaming interface with storage requests.

I'm also running two TinkerBoards, one running PiHole and openHAB, the other running JMRI.

Just point gitea at a directory in encfs for storing repo data

The Dell 20 series power edges have price dropped enough with the release of the 40 series last year that they are absolutely the sweet spot in power edge land. The 10 series is fucking slow and loud in comparison to the 20, which us quiet enough that I can't hear my R320 across the room. The 20 series dumpster the 10 series in performance and perf/watt across the board, but you still get to buy cheap ECC DDR3 for like $1.5/GB. Use labgopher or something to find a server that meets your needs.

I setup my NAS a few years back and haven't touched it. Its probably due for an upgrade. Anyone here run FreeNAS? Is it still popular/supported?

R320:
FreeNAS

R620 (ESXi):
Pihole
Unifi
Minecraft
Jellyfin
Ubooquity
ELK stack
Remote transcode (CPU)
Remote compile slave

Old gaming PC (980Ti):
Remote transcode (GPU)
Running pytorch shit for my ML course
Compiling/running anything I wrote involving cuda

The cheap eBay optiplex make great servers in general if you aren't going to need more than 16GB of ram, they are probably the absolute king of performance per dollar across all available new and used hardware.

If you want to start out, but you don't want to build a server and $250-300 is more than you want to spend on a used enterprise server, get that $120 optiplex off eBay and try installing ESXi and some VMs. They suck for storage and NAS purposes in general (you can only fit one hard drive and one SSD), but if you want to try running a bunch of different things this is the way to do it. An optiplex and a cheap NAS is the budget king homelab that gets you 80% of a real setup for half the price. If you move on from the optiplex you can pop a low profile 1050ti in there and sell it as a competent gaming PC that can play demanding games like Rainbow Six at 1080@60 on medium settings.

still working on my new home server room (and the house around it)

Attached: IMG_0093.jpg (5184x3456, 986K)

I love freenas, it is absolutely still popular and supported. You need to have a machine with a lot of ram and a pass through HBA to dedicate to it, but if you do have that I think it is absolutely the way to go for medium demand NASs. I connect to mine over 10gbit and use an iSCSI share to host my steam library and the RAM cache makes it so once the game loads once, all the subsequent loading screens are much shorter since it can serve everything at 10Gbit/s out of the cache.
The documentation is stellar (though using it needs lots and lots of reading), you still have access to a root prompt and can do anything you can do with a normal FreeBSD install, and it is rock fucking stable.

That's so overkill, I love it. What is going in that rack?

Do you know if it supports Ryzen with ECC? I'll have a spare R7 1700 soon and was thinking of using that. Can't find much online, which probably means it just works™.

I can't say for sure, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Depending on what you plan to use your NAS for, a ryzen will range between "beyond adequate" and "comically overkill" for the task. I would absolutely try and host other services on the machine if spending a bit more on RAM doesn't scare you. What do you plan on using it for and how much RAM were you thinking of getting?

That's a nice fucking setup. I was thinking of linking my NAS and VM server over infiniband just for keks, and because the connectx-2 40Gbit IB cards are like $8 a pop, have you tried infiniband on Linux at all?

Good idea user

You seen the atomic pi's? They are quite nice and would make a nice hardware cluster.

Should have just went 10gig eth, IB is shite for your setup.

Damn, I want a separate room like that. I'm thinking about colocating as the noise is starting to annoy me at nighttime. What you gonna be hosting?

you guys are like little babbys

taking the ibm out of commission, at least for 24/7 use, probably going to set up a windows lab with it. it was running my pfsense instance but it's just too hot and loud, got pci passthrough working pretty good in proxmox on the r710 so virtualized firewall hasn't been too bad so far at all

Attached: hsg-20190612-s.jpg (1500x2191, 1.22M)

I have a proliant ml350 g6. Am I stuck only buying a stock branded heatsink for it or are there compatible ones that I can get for maybe cheaper.

Attached: $_12.jpg (430x500, 28K)

What up boys and girls (male)? Heresuh server. Running Windows 7 like a true pro with all NTFS based partitions and using Windows RAID 1. All arrays backed up of course. Quick question though. Is it harmful to use SATA power splitters? Or Molex to 2x SATA? I have 4x 1TB drives laying around that I'd like to add but my server PSU only has 8x SATA connections.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_502552132668254_20190515_165121266.jpg (2048x1870, 1.55M)

Did you reinforce the table at all? When I put a 1U on my Ikea Lack's shelf thing it sags enough to make me nervous.

Just bigger brackets on the legs for the shelf. Sags a little bit in the middle but I've got the UPS under it so I'm not too worried about it

don't all of you plex users worry that they have all of your viewing data and are just a lawsuit or two away from being forced to hand it over to the MPAA or something? i feel like the media sharing stuff has to be illegal
>ah, user, i see you let a friend stream problem child 2, that'll be $200,000

> Is it harmful to use SATA power splitters?
short answer, yes, don't ever do that,

Attached: 20180213_172400.jpg.53393b509b4464e744bf82086988c609.jpg (1960x4032, 319K)

I have three molex-to-5xSATA cables in my system

you are a brave man

it's been several years and nothing's melted or shorted out or shown any sign of trouble. The drives attached to them work fine.

Absolute scrub here
Turned my old T61 into a next cloud server and I love it. The only issue is I can't point anything to my external drive with next cloud
How do I do that?
Also what else can I do with an old thinkpad?

Attached: 52A3FE38-1F32-40D4-B592-A8FB04972D43.jpg (1024x1024, 29K)

>IB under Linux
Not really, no. At some point I'll move the Kubernetes cluster to hardware and will address it then. I imagine it's going to be about the same as Windows, just using Debians network stack.

>IB is shit
$Free.99 But let's agree to disagree.

>smb
>openVPN
>Minecraft
>Counter-Strike
>nginx
>apache2
>rsync + crontab for backups

What a waste of a perfectly good T61, use some old broken supermarket laptop for server, a thinkpad is a computer you want to use not putting it in a corner as a server.

looking to do a build in this case, what psu did you use? as all the psu's have stupidly long cables and would prefer short ones for a small case

There are two types of splitters, the crimped kind is safe the molded kind starts fires. There's a bunch of youtube videos going over the difference.

Just rent a VPS and use an SSHFS mount. There, it's in the cloud.

A vs B pic? Link?

This is the safe kind. Note that if the molex plug were replaced female SATA port, then that port would also have to be crimped like the other two, a lot of chinks ones are crimped on the outputs but molded on the input which is unsafe.

Attached: HTB1BLE1FFXXXXXyaFXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg (501x325, 120K)

This is your resident fire starter, note how the plug is molded around the cable rather than being a two piece assembly that pinches the cable and cuts in to it. That molding tends to be shitty and cause shorts as things vibrate and the plastic deforms under heat or whatever.

Attached: 31U4IHd5wML.jpg (350x350, 12K)

my garbage pile:
dd-wrt asus rt-n66u WAP
some d-link switch unmanaged
dell optiplex 980 running pfsense
another dell optiplex 980 not sure what to do with
laser printer
freenas box 4x4tb core i3-4370 32gb ram
apc smartups 1500va
42u 2 post rack w panduit shit

plex, printer, nextcloud, backups, some shitty bots, squid, squidguard, clamAV, snort, pfBlockerNG, openvpn,

mostly pieced it together with salvage from office buildings downtown. the only thing i paid for is the freenas box and modem from isp.

it has been fun to build over the years and learn about networking plus it makes a great conversation piece when i have guests.

Attached: shit_server.jpg (2988x5312, 3.02M)

Can you link me a good HBA? I gave up researching what's supported and what isn't. Ended up going with smb on debian instead but I think I'd be happier with FreeNAS.

I don't know a whole lot about HBAs, I managed to find a config switch that put my H310i mini (the one integrated into the R320) into pass through mode and that has two SAS ports so I was able to hook all 8 of my drives straight in. The Reddit homelab wiki has good info on HBAs, I think the LSI9200i and H310 normal edition (the pcie type which is just a rebranded 9200) flashed to IT mode are supposed to be the way to go for it. I probably have the model number of the LSI wrong, but either of those should work with some fiddling.

Just kidding it's the LSI 9211-8i, the 9200 is the model for the external one with SAS8088 ports instead of SAS8087 ports.
ebay.com/itm/LSI-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-LSI-9201-8i-9211-8i-IT-Mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-US/142748462843?hash=item213c78aefb:g:5hAAAOSwS2lcNMz7
Here's a link I found where it is pre flashed to IT mode, if you shop around you can probably do a lot cheaper than this but this is what you get if you want something that will work for sure with minimal time put in to flashing it.

Do sbc questions fit here or should I make a new thread?

How do I go about getting an Android sbc hooked up with a touchscreen? It seems like odroid only supports hdmi which is too bulky for what I need, udoo has a touchscreen you can connect through lvds but it only supports two specific screens 7" or 15" which looks like aren't available anymore and I'd need a 4" screen anyway.

I think there's also a way to connect any screen with a controller board but I'm finding it hard to find info on how to do it this way.

What do?

Perfect, thank you!

That's a nice setup, I dig the robot head.
That freenas box has pretty similar specs to mine, are you using ECC RAM with the i3?
Also what are the specs on those optiplexes, I fucking love using those things for just about everything where cost is a concern.

>botnet/faggots trying to access my ftp from all over the world
>mostly from US
>some from China and India, even Europe
>keep trying user:admin and password:password

I hope you guys don't use weak login credentials for users. Also what the fuck do they gain by accessing my ftp filled with ebooks?

I'm floored that people out there still use passwords for anything public facing, keyfile is the only way I can feel comfortable having public facing services. That or a pre shared key like in an L2TP VPN.

thanks.
no ecc ram, my data is not important to justify cost.
optiplex are i5-650's w. 4gb ram, the powered off has a graphics card and the pfsense has a NIC. they have been very reliable...so far.
pic related pfsense hdd smart readings

Attached: smart.png (774x520, 41K)

Screen is destroyed

some old modular thermaltake I had, not sure exactly. case honestly isn't that small, fit's a micro atx and room for a massive gpu. best case i've owned desu, will be using it for my desktop again once I get a case with a bunch of drive bays to move the nas parts in to

Attached: hsg.jpg (1277x1029, 510K)

>Apache2
>Tomcat
>Torrenting
>SFTP cause I'm too lazy to set up an actual NAS

Thanks user

They're not looking for your ebooks, they're looking for data worth money. E.g. financial, pii, etc
Also any data has the potential to be held for ransom

for what's it worth, your drive shown a signs a of wear and maybe early failure looking at the read count and relocated sectors

u only get like half the advertised speed with raw iperf, and things like nfs are only slower. it will still be an improvement sure, but just make sure you have your expectations in check

That rack will just be for NTP.
3x GPS strartum 1, 1x Rubidium frequency standard stratum 1, in short term 1x Cesium beam stratum 1. all hooked up to a public stratum 2.

Im installing a second rack next to it.
That will have the shit of pic related in it. PS, the enterasys is for testing purposes, there is a proper cisco in the back, I always get comments on that....

Attached: rack.jpg (756x1344, 252K)

>pihole
>smb
>web server (apache2)
>email server
>plex
>madsonic
>openvpn
>deluge torrent server
>filebot to auto organize downloads
>owncloud
>caldav
I think there's a couple more

I'm running 10gbit (though my piece of shit chelsio card is throttling everything to 6gbit) so it's probably not worth it to shell out for the cable if I don't get to flex on my sysadmin friend with a 40gbit iperf screencap.

I've always been interested in NTP stuff even if I don't have any intention of setting it up, do you know of a good resource just to read about it?

what performance impact does zfs have versus, say, ext3?

That's a complex question. ZFS works really hard to hide most of its overhead with a clever read/write caching scheme. Additionally overhead on certain operations is turned in to bonus performance for others, for instance the cost of doing checksum verifications and regular disk patrol reads on a ZFS mirror pair of disks means that you can for distribute reads across both disks in a mirror so you get double read performance. Some RAID 1 implementations also have this capability, but there are also a lot that read both disks and compare the data to check integrity during reads, which only gives you a single drive of read performance. I personally run the ZFS equivalent of RAID 10 with drives that are rated for 200MB/s and bench as 175-185MBs outside of ZFS, and my array of 4 disks can deliver 625-720MB/s sequential reads over iSCSI when I read from data near the outer edge of the platters. My IOPS matches what you would expect for reading from four spindles and my random reads are about four times as fast as if I were to access a single disk over iSCSI, and two times as fast for writes.
I know that doesn't answer your question exactly, but there is so much fiddling you can do to ZFS cache setups that it can be adapted to almost any workload so that you don't notice the overhead.

Thanks for reading my blog.

that was actually interesting

this pretty much nailed it

ext4 to zfs switch recently 4 disk raid 10 on both. About the only think i noticed performance wise is zfs will eat ram IF YOU LET IT. first transfers ate about 60 gigs of my ram. But since then have restricted it to 16 gigs. Using vanilla and lz4 compression have not really tweaked anything yet.