EReaders

So Jow Forums, what's your opinion on Kindles and other e-readers.
I wanted a cheap

Attached: kindle.jpg (735x417, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kE_byDwLjxk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The latest basic model kindle is a good dea just never once turn off airplane mode and use Calibre to put books on it.
Kobo are less restricted if that matters to you and I managed to repair a broken screen on my ancient Kobo touch which isn't possible on Kindle. I wouldn't recommend anything other than those two brands unless you see a great offer.
Don't even consider buying an ereader without a high quality case because the screens are made of glass and fragile.

I'm telling you this just because you asked on Jow Forums. But I usually charge for this. You can jailbreak a kindle and install KUAL which is a launcher that can launch ""apps"". Install it and then download and set up Koreader, it has a PDF reflow feature which lets you resize a pdf and change font size and it reads like a normal ebook. If the pdf is too shitty it doesnt work but if its passable works like a charm. You can do all this on the mobileread.com forum

I use a fire hd 10 for reading. It's pretty handy and the screen brightness automatically adjusts depending on the room lighting. It's my first tablet computer so I might be biased

they're nice and feel as good to read as a physical book (with the difference of them being actually light as fuck) but ANY blow/strike onto the screen or even the case and they're gone forever. after three years of using mine i had it lent to a friend and within a few days the screen was fucked up

Are backlights on electronic readers a meme?
I always just use my reading light instead of the backlight when reading a night
Something psychomythologically wrong about backlight on an electronic ink display.

never had a backlight one but i'm fine with my opaque one

I have a Kobo Clara hd. Changes the sd card for a bigger one and installed koreader on it.

Pretty happy with it desu. A bit more expensive than the 50$ you wanted to spend but the backlight is a must on these devices. It helps a lot with contrast.
See above. Might just be a personal preference thing but for me is a must.

>as long as I can load on PDFs
Serious question here, I often see people ask about pdf on ereaders.
What do you actually read in pdf?
For books epub works so much better imo.

>spending money on an e-reader
>uses backlight to read on it

defeats the whole purpose of them, you idiots

Attached: 1495730398557.jpg (750x728, 75K)

There are scanned books and uni textbooks which arent available on digital format but some random guy scanned it and uploaded it to his shitty blog on pdf.

they probably just dont know why epub are better yet because they dont read using an electronic device. i cant think of a case in which pdf might be bette than epub for this purpose

Not if you have to read in the dark for a couple of minutes. If the backlight can be 100% turned off during the day its a great feature, I had a kindle paperwhite and the light could be only be put to 5% as a minimum. I was seething.

Sometimes (often) that's the only option sadly.
Got some papers on my backlog and only PDF versions are available

I use an decade old Sony reader I got for like 15 bucks.
The good thing is that it supports a lot of formats and pdf too. The problem is that reading pdfs that were A4 in the original is almost impossible on those tiny screens and having to zoom in on every page turn is annoying.

How easy is it to pirate books and put them on there.
Is there a p2p program just for downloading thousands of books at once?

Never used an e-reader

>Not if you have to read in the dark
If you tend to read in the dark often it would be a better idea to fucking use a normal tablet instead of the washed out screen of a backlit e-reader.

What's the difference between ebook readers and tablets?

you have to be at least 18 to visit this site

>How easy is it to pirate books and put them on there.
Really easy, just download them and use calibre to load then on your ereader.
>Is there a p2p program just for downloading thousands of books at once?
Yeah, torrents.

>yeah torrents
pirate bay seems liek a really shitty way to browse book downloads

I am 22

>pirate bay
myanonamouse.net
bibliotik.me

why is this board so full of underage faggots nowadays
fuuuuuccccckkk

ereaders use a different technology that's called e-paper or something; very nice. They also use a different light system that doesn't come from behind the screen, so it doesn't tire your eyes. They also come with a lot of vocabulary learning features and stuff (e.g. click a word to see the dictionary, add it to your learned words, et cetera); the main selling point in my opinion. A low or mid-range kindle is definitely worth it, and it pays itself after a few books, because buying them would've been way more expensive IRL than in kindle. My kindles pay for themselves every 7-8 months, which is about 30ish books.

>They also use a different light system that doesn't come from behind the screen, so it doesn't tire your eyes.
lmao what the FUCK am I reading

Attached: 1478180274637.jpg (239x306, 17K)

It's true. Amazon inverted like 500 million in some reflecting micro-particles or something something.

jesus fucking christ i can't take this anymore
might as well be reading youtube comments
fuck this place

I bought one to pirate books. What's your purpose for them that requires you to turn off the backlight ?

There should be an automated way to convert a scientific PDF to flat text while keeping the overall organization of structures and tables

based

>reading PDFs on a kindle
its a horror show. unless you like to see a quarter a page at a time and have to scroll around to read it.

I like them, can't wait for them to get more power and color so PDF reading is better. I have a Kobo HD for Manga/B&W Comics and I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2017 for books.

Reminder E-ink screens are not back lit, LCD screens are.

I used to have a Nook Simple Touch, it was really quite good but I've been looking for something newer, faster, etc. I'm concerned about being on the botnet on Amazon, I will only be pirating books I should say. Can I use a kindle this way without ever having to log on to some shitty online service or get spammed with ads or whatever the fuck

>Can I use a kindle this way

Yes, I have my Kindle on airplane mode and convert everything through Calibre.

Colour e-ink is impossible

>Colour e-ink is impossible
lmao, do you actually believe the bullshit you're spewing?
youtube.com/watch?v=kE_byDwLjxk

Attached: 53.jpg (480x360, 13K)

>30fps color electronic ink

Dick status: muh

I've used various ereaders and researched them. I don't recommend ereaders smaller than 10 inches for pdfs. I'd recommend a phone or a tablet instead.

How did they do it?

for free ebooks i recommend libgen.io and b-ok.org, i've found almost any book i've wanted there

I have 33 GB ebooks and most are pdfs simply because only pdfs were available and secondly because pdfs don't have errors like epubs.

$ find . -name '*.pdf' | wc -l
$ find . -name '*.djvu' | wc -l
$ find . -name '*.epub' | wc -l

PDFs suck ass on e-readers.

False. There are a number of manufacturers that make 10+" e-readers that will fully render PDFs

like what

read them as a you'd with a book? wtf is that question

i use 1000$ e-reader boox max pro 2

Fucking magic

Off the top of my head Sony and Boox

Try
find . -name "*.pdf" -printf "%s\t%p\n" | sort -n | tail -n5
I want to see how big your biggest PDFs are
I've got a lot of PDFs of shit quality OCR, or no OCR; leading to absurd sizes (200MB+)

They suck and they are awful for reading on. The miniature screen is dreadful. I thought I'd pirate books and read more. I got the keyboard one, which I read on but found out that I wouldnt use it enough versus my computer, and the kindle paperwhite more recently. I jailbroke them and was so excited they I could see other people's comments with the syncing and the backlit screen.

It looks worse than my kindle keyboard. No page turning buttons until it was introduced in the new ones? A money grab go up the resolution (who cares if was the screen size), a more frail screen due to the backlight, and a premium version that features fake buttons? Holy shit they can't make a good design. You need one of those faggoty pop sockets to use the thing one handedly.

tl;dr Kindle is a bad choice unless it's got buttons and you need a popsocket

Ok on the left is the Boox Max 2. On the right is the Kindle paperwhite (I think it's a gen 3) I can't remember exactly when I bought it. The Boox is great for PDFs, the 13.3" screen means no zooming in. The kindle is nice for mobility, but sucks for PDFs. Also I don't have to use Calibre for the Boox, everything is drag and drop and it works. It's expensive yes ~$750, but it fills my needs perfectly.

Attached: bk.gif (1200x900, 637K)

Hello billionaire
>.gif
wtf

Cool story, Mr. Chang

I use a kobo aura. I mostly read epubs/mobi that I put on it with calibre. It works fine, though I wish it was a little bigger to read research paper pdfs

holy shit

>charging for other people's tools
Kill yourself leech

Boox, sony, boyue, and there are some more. You can find them with a simple google search.

DON'T BUY A KINDLE
>dead pixels
>crashes
>too little RAM
>no features
>shitty browser that doesn't allow you to download pdf files
I've owned 2 of them (fell for the free 3G internet meme) and I can't recommend the brand. Get an Android-based e-ink device, instead.

Attached: SayNoToKindle.png (791x599, 107K)

LOL no, I just read a lot. What's weird is someone buys an ipad and nobody bats an eye, They spend the same on an e-reader and people flip out.

250-570 MB. Kek.

Pages 2-3 of the 570 MB pdf. It's 476 pages.

Attached: big book.jpg (1522x1044, 241K)

Rendering the pdf isn't the problem, reading pages of text meant to be printed on paper four+ times larger is. You can't reflow the text to make it work like a normal ebook because hurr durr printable format and the screen isn't responsive enough to scroll and zoom all over.

>and the screen isn't responsive enough to scroll and zoom all over.

*laughs in 2010 Sony PRS650*

I don't know, I like them and they're pretty useful if you read more than one book a year.

Attached: Convenient.jpg (3024x4032, 2.02M)

Is there any e-reader that sync with google books, especially page location sync?

ok but are there any 10+ inch ereaders that arent botnet??? i have a kobo aura h20 and it was a pain in the ass getting debian on there. if it werent for shitty patent litigation wed have more manufacturers in this space and thered be enough competition tonot have to worry about muh phone home shit getting me denied a loan in 10 years time for reading some kaczynski meme

and a gyro efcharisto kyrie eleison to you too, user

Not the OP but in my case I really needed backlit. My problem is that I travel long distances everyday (but as a passenger so I can read) very early in the moring so having a light while reading that does not burn my eyes is great

>What do you actually read in pdf?
Textbooks, manuals, and my notes from class

Good thing Kindles aren't the only ereaders

>calling someone a billionaire for spending $800 on an ereader
kek

have you ever used an e-reader with backlight?

op, dont listen to this tool, I have Kual on a paperwhite (2018 model or whatever its called) and it barely launches without running out of memory, good luck opening pdfs and reflowing them.

For pdf support avoid kindles at all costs, in fact avoid e ink readers unless its one of those 1-2k model ones with A4 sized screen and proper cpu,
for pdf just get a cheap (or not so cheap tablet), look at lower end samsung models, 8inch, the ones that have lcd instead of oled screen.
use eink, kindle or kobo (in fact just drop kindle and get kobo) for for novellas and general fiction that come in epubs/mobis/azws

>Pilot G2
mah niggah

>>don't get an ereader for PDFs unless you go for a ~13" screen
>get an 8" tablet instead

Attached: f457336840.jpg (400x300, 41K)

its fine on a tablet but on ereader its really bad

0.38 master race checking in

Just use my phone for books and my 2-in-1 laptop for textbooks.
Buying books is for faggots, especially if you buy from Amazon.

You don't have to buy books to use an ereader

Can I make a black and white electronic photo frame with an old kindle? Is the screen capable of that kind of resolution?

I know, just warning the faggots. I hate them so much they should fuarking die :rage:

imbressive

I usually charge for the hour for this but have sex