Drawing Tablets

I want to get into digital art, but I'm not sure what drawing tablet I should get. From what I've read and seen, it seems Wacom is the best. I was thinking about getting a used one from eBay, but I don't know if that's a good option. I've also read Amazon reviews of customers, saying theirs stopped working after a while or it didn't work on their OS (I'm on Windows 10). I just don't want to end up getting screwed over. I wanted to ask people who actually know shit about this subject. Would it be alright for me to get a used one or should I just opt for a new one?

Attached: image.jpg (400x300, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_(comics)#Awards
apps.apple.com/us/app/clip-studio-paint-for-manga/id1262985592
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

X230t

>I wanted to ask people who actually know shit about this subject.

I have an Intuos Draw that I recieved as a gift. It works well for drawing and osu! in Linux and is recognized as soon as I plug it in. The pen doesn't use a battery, but I've heard that decreases hover height which is a little annoying in osu but perfectly fine while drawing.
If I had bought one for myself, though, it probably would have been a Huion H610 Pro. Far bigger and the only downside is having to replace the battery occasionally.

>I wanted to ask people who actually know shit about this subject.
Then Jow Forums is the wrong place, as pointed out. You want to ask artists.
Personally I use the same old Wacom I have since 2004 but I can tell you that you should first testdrive tablets if its for you in general. There are people who simply can't get into drawing with graphics tablets. The whole drawing with a pen but looking at the display in the front is something they can't deal with. So, maybe give it a try but don't get too frustrated if it's not working for you. If that's the case, you'd still have the option of getting an actual active tablet with an integrated screen or just a tablet PC with a stylus like a Surface for example or Thinkpad Xt like said.

>being are unironically reccomending thinkpads for drawing
>even though shit like 9 year old bamboo tablets are better
Imagine being so autistic

I have a 1060 from Huion, the peak of non-screen tablets

Yes Wacom is the best.
Mainly their biggest strength is that they have the best drivers and getting a used one is fine. They're usually built like tanks.
I have the 22HD Cintiq, used to have the 13HD but it was a bit too small in the long run.
If you're seriously thinking about getting into art then get one of these tablets with a screen right away. Never could get into drawing without a screen myself. Also it's cheaper just getting the best one right from the get go instead of jumping from low tier model to a mid range one and then getting the best.
I've heard of the Wacom Cintiq alternatives being just fine, so you might want to consider them if Cintiqs are out of your price range.

Intuos draw, definitely! It's what i have and its pretty reliable.

forgot to add, but if you really want a tablet with a screen just get a cintiq.

Bought my artist wife. Wacom 13HD. Took forever for the drivers to update to something usable (Finally good as of December) the cable was super cheap and the port for it is INCREDIBLY fragile. Fucker was expensive BUT it's the only half decent full screen matte pressure sensative pad so it blows the next cheapest thing out of the water.

Don't do used, like I said the ports are extremely fragile and prone to busting, likely you'll get a lemon with a finicky point. If you buy a new one pay close attention to strain relief.

For a used wacom I would recommend a used intuos3, intuos4(my current wacom), or intuos 5. With the 4/5 though I suggest getting a screen protector though because the surface can wear your nibs faster.

The best non wacom tablets are I think the XP Pen deco line.

When I see "recommend me a tablet" threads on /ic/, often times they like to redirect the OP to Jow Forums. Then Jow Forums redirects the OP back to /ic/.

The current graphics tablet thread on /ic/ is Anons discuss all kinds of drawing tablets in this thread.

They're probably recommending thinkpads because it's a portable screen tablets. I wouldn't get one though unless I happened to need a new laptop too. For a portable screen tablet that you'll use mainly for drawing I would unironically recommend saving up for an iPad pro.

Used tablets will probably be okay as long as you avoid trying to unplug the cord and that goes to the tablet.

/ic/ has a very detailed guide on which thing to buy for what features you want and what price point
and most of the people use them so they have first hand experience
it can go on either board but /ic/ is the best for it, idk why they would say go to Jow Forums unless they're fags who only draw on physical shit

I have an intuos pro i like.
Though you may want to look into buying a used cintiq or check out one of those new wacom paper things.

How expensive are the ones with screens.. I tried the ones without and I just can't deal at the autism of it.

5 to 10 times more than a cheap digitizer.
those are not tablets, those are digitizers.
>Used tablets will probably be okay
for housewives

>zoomer thinks graphics tablets always have displays in it
They don't and you don't have a ton of affordable options if you want something with a display behind the stylus, therefore people recommend tablet Thinkpads since they're cheaper than those used graphics tablets AND still have reliable Wacom tech in them.

I'd recommend you to get yourself a One by Wacom medium if you are new to art- it's quite chap compared to the other tablets of the company and provides 2k pressure sensitivity while being an entry level tablet. used it with Win7, Win10, mac OS and Manjaro and yet to find any issues. the drivers are quite all right and the support is quite ok, too.

Speaking of th other brands I would totally recomment XP-Pen since their mid-tier and pro-tier tablets are on par with wacom's while being cheaper. tried some of them and they were really good

Get a wacom, any of their screen models will do. Failing that get a chink tablet with the largest surface area possible. You need to make large strokes.
Either way don't get a thinkpad lmao their screens are utter garbage, don't get a surface either its only good for basic note taking

Ask in /ic/ desu
But here's the basic idea, it's about three things: pen tech (most important), screen size and screen versus non-screen.
Anything with wacom EMR tech is perfect and highly recommended.
The iPad, while not having wacom EMR is considered the second best. And even the 2017 pro easily holds up today and gets a professional app for it: Clip Studio Pro which is a more or less direct port (limitations include can't use as many layers due to hardware limitations).

I'd honestly just get the ipad pro 2017 (12.9 ideally for more space) and call it a day if you're concerned about drivers and whatnot.

To add to this, you can also go with a samsung android tablet that has an S Pen (Tab S3 would be my recommendation) as that is also EMR tech. Android is limited in professional drawing apps but it can use an app called VirtualTablet to emulate a drawing tablet on your PC - I think it's like $4.99 for the app on the playstore.
It works over USB and is quite fast. The downside is that the tablet size is fairly small and the screen doesn't show the image on the tablet while using it so it can take a few days to get used to it but it's actually something I used before getting an iPad Pro because I didn't want to spend 1600 on wacom since the tablet I used had the best pen tech already

ipad pro have shit drawing programs
tech is nice but the softwares available are all shit and cost like fuck

just get some intuos

Samsung also has the Galaxy Book 10.6 and 12 that run on Windows and come with the S Pen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_(comics)#Awards
Made in CSP, won awards.

True but I find them very overpriced and at this point in time, it's 3 year old tech. While I would push for OP to get the 12 inch one with 8GB of RAM and an SSD if s/he can get it for around $500, the biggest problem is that it has some issues with I think it's screen flickering, I'm not sure exactly that's caused headaches in some people.

XP-Pen, ditched wacom for good after trying thid brand out. Cost far less, stable drivers on windows / linux and apple trash. wacom ad issues with linux / apple trash. And cost a ton for no reason.

But do whatever.

its a pile of stinky shit on ios. fucktards at apple are good at hardware but fails horrendously at software.
apps.apple.com/us/app/clip-studio-paint-for-manga/id1262985592

My sis does graphic design professionally I draw in my free time, Wacom or go home. They are by far the best tablets you can get even if they are expensive.

>uses reviews complaining about things that were fixed in updates from over a year ago
okay

This is OP. I think I'm going to get it new and I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. The Wacom Intuos Pro or the Cintiq 16. The Cintiq is appealing to me, because it has a screen, so I would think it'd be intuitive to use. As for the Intuos Pro, the thing is, I have tried my hand in the past with a normal Intuos. It was very frustrating to me like said. Perhaps if I practiced with it every single day, I'd eventually be able to overcome this. Do you think these are good options?

bump

thats one thing, the other is that you can only rent the software and not purchase the license.
fuck's sake you cant even pirate it because ios is a piece of shit