Who here /Data Structures & Algorithms/ here on a regular basis? Or at the very least...

Who here /Data Structures & Algorithms/ here on a regular basis? Or at the very least, uses knowledge of sorting/searching to improve their code.

I ask because I had all those big-name interview questions that utilized basic list/array manip stuff but never actually used any of it at my job. It was all library based.

For my own coding I use the concepts all the time. Does it take place at larger tech companies only or something?

Plugging a visualization of a linked list I did: youtube.com/watch?v=07KldH07ji4

Attached: 000634.gif (1000x1000, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LOxcGefZR3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=YQs6IC-vgmo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That video is a mess lmao

Number one reason why modern software is slow is because code shitters do linear searching instead of using an associative data structure. Fucking retards.

you think anyone here would want instructional versions? I was thinking most of the main DS&A was already hit upon but I enjoy doing visualizations of em.

pretty sure even in college the most intensive we got was mergesort, kind of a bummer. a few things like A* but that was seldom and far between

Attached: 002630.gif (1000x1000, 592K)

FWIW I have a few vids where I commentate w/ instructions for Processing-based visualizations but I wasn't entirely sure how large that void is - it's already a pretty small language/community. youtube.com/watch?v=LOxcGefZR3Q

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 9.19.33 PM.png (2224x1868, 3.01M)

>video is 4:04

heheehe

truly lies
4:03:58:59:3001

does anyone know the logic behind youtube doing this? i know the view count "lag" is just a matter of page caching (right?) but time stamps shouldn't ever change..

what are some associative data structures? like binary trees or kd trees?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 5.42.23 PM.png (878x948, 681K)

If you cant apply these concepts to your work, either you're too low level or you dont actually know said concepts enough to apply them.
Engineers bemoan software work that cant be replicated or is not modular enough to be reused into other programs. Making artwork instead of using engineering principles, which is ironic if this is actually your videos.

He means shit like hash tables. But it's possible to use binary search trees or other more specialized structures.

Well, yeah, you raise a valid point - I suppose making modular, resuable java code should be my goal if I'm wanting these to be educational videos; but then again I'm not sure how large that market is in the tech sector (i.e. the intersection of artwork, code & teaching)

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 2.14.35 PM.png (2224x2268, 346K)

99% of software engineers will never need to know all that shit anyway. It's a meme spread by universities.

Usually if I need an algorithm, I just copy and paste it from stack overflow kek.
I'm studying them anyway though just in case I ever need something that hasn't been done before.

The only "real" algorithm I ever had to devise myself was generating random two-cycles out of an array of integers, optionally putting a one-cycle in there somewhere if the array had an odd number of elements. But then again I'm just a java bootcamp codemonkey with

>real-time dynamic allocators
>specific-purpose allocators
>lock-less concurrent message queues
>beating std lib sorts' performance in hot code
But when I do the first working version, I'm usually good with linked lists and ring buffers.
I wish I could do more, but my job doesn't require it.

bump

First thing you do is not use linked lists

youtube.com/watch?v=YQs6IC-vgmo

Attached: 7099f1.jpg (200x245, 62K)

FIB HEAPSSSS!!!!!

i do not understand the point of data modeling like this.

3d modeling is useful if there's an association between points/nodes that involves the element of SPACE, which involves (a) the medium, (b) the node materials, (c) interferences. if you're not working with chem/physics and you're just modeling numbers in a spreadsheet, what are you even wasting your time on?

Was there ever a point where he had hair on the top of his head?

>element of SPACE

I don't think it necessarily needs to involve physical space. 3d modeling is potentially useful whenever there is some measure involved.

lmao I honestly cannot find a picutre of him with hair on top his head awwhhhhhhe

It's just an IQ test to weed out the dum dums

Sorting algorithms are fun but it's very typical. Fast Fourier Transform is where it's at.

I felt like the smartest guy in the world when I finally understood mathematical induction.

You only understand it once. Then after a week you forget it and never learn it again.

>I ask because I had all those big-name interview questions that utilized basic list/array manip stuff but never actually used any of it at my job. It was all library based.
Just because your language/library implemented your data structures for you doesn't mean you weren't using them. If you aren't making use of things like associative arrays you were probably doing an awful job.