rt.com/business/461583-huawei-russia-android-replace/amp/
wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris),
lwn.net/Articles/487211/
sailfishos.org/wiki/SailfishOS
vocaroo.com/i/s0WChwy6Fv5C
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Google really should have thought twice before awakening the sleepy bear

Attached: file.jpg (474x470, 18K)

You think this was Google's idea? It's very much not.

Google kicking them out of android updates pushed them straight into the hands of FOSS community, win for Jow Forums but most are too busy discussing 999$ monitor stands and shit

Nice.
Sailfish is pretty based so fast it even runs on the new 3310s by nokia.

Wait, the new 3310s run Sailfish?

The 3310 can run sailfish youtube.com/watch?v=X3cyLhoUpc0

>rt.com/business/461583-huawei-russia-android-replace/amp/

Google had no choice and complained loudly to the US gov that it would lead Huawei to develop a competitor to Android.

Based trump fighting for foss

Pretty based actually.
Google should also be punished and android is shit desu.
Now we just need to make a sailfish wojak.

Source on that?

Now they just need to release it.

God, I long back for the days of numpad-equipped smartphones.
Or even just Windows Phone.
I'd settle for a glass brick if the UI isn't as atrocious as iOS/Android. And from what I remember, Sailfish seems to nail it.

>Android will finally get some more competition
Maybe they will start improving their shit OS now.

Well desu the only proprietary part of the os is the gui.
It seems like they are only changing that.

How the mighty have fallen

Attached: White-Nokia-N9-Pure-Epicness-and-Pure-Beauty-7.jpg (800x531, 104K)

>Well desu the only proprietary part of the os is the gui.
>Chinks/Russians
>GUI
This will either be an AK47 or a tractor with shovel wheels.

>tractor with shovel wheels
badass

Imagine if they release a proper device with hw drivers written for it, all the hours spent on libhybris to fix android shit code could be spent on the OS

>Sailfish seems to nail it.
Does it have copy/paste yet?

user had his chance. user preferred Android because muh open sauce.

Attached: Nokia-N9-UI-views.jpg (600x356, 106K)

Know what, would be really good if Jolla received some money to develop more and faster.

>ywn live in an alternate reality where Nokia never adopted WP and instead fully committed to Meego
It genuinely makes me upset to think of what might have been.

Depends on app, browser does, Jow Forums client does, leddit too

It will be brilliant, Huawei better let us root the phones now

>maemo is dead
>BB10 is dead
>Tizen turned into nothing but a Smart TV malware OS
>Sailfish might actually take off in a big way

These times sure are strange.

meh, harmattan had some shitty proprietary wannabe software, on SFOS you just click 'enable developer mode' and get full fledged terminal, ssh server setup and root access to everything

If they release with whatever Aurora is, flashing proper russian-free-only-finnish community edition will be ez, same as currently, you can run the community edition on a long list of phones (wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris), on each you just click an option to get full root access

>Depends on app
Contacts

It's called People and you can either share (whole vcf bt, email etc) or edit and then each and every field is copy/pastable

Looks as dull as iOS.
Symbian had a better UI, even if the actual OS was an unstable shitshow.

If huawei actually goes with this, they will have suddenly free developers that are currently working on libhybris adaptation and tweaking code to work with each and every supported device, with proper drivers provided by huawei for sfos Jolla devs could concentrate on working on the OS itself. With their numbers, that would be like 30% boost just from having real hw partner

Degoogled Android forked smartphones.

Take my money. God, this is orgasmic.

Attached: bod.jpg (200x197, 10K)

Best part is you can develop on device, apps are qml so tweaks/fixes can be done with a simple editor, and of course full multi-tasking
Pic related, fixing Jow Forums app on phone

Attached: file.png (720x1280, 276K)

You can develop full blown apps (managed to compile qt creator with this):
pkcon install zypper
mkdir /chroot
btrfs subvolume create /chroot/base
mkdir /chroot/base/dev
cp -a /dev/zero /chroot/base/dev/zero
mkdir /chroot/base/etc
cp -ar /etc/zypp /chroot/base/etc/
cp -a /etc/boardname /chroot/base/etc/
zypper --root /chroot/base refresh
zypper --root /chroot/base install basesystem rpm rpm-build curl vim-enhanced PackageKit tar make gcc gcc-c++ meego-rpm-config libstdc++-devel
cp /etc/rpm/platform /chroot/base/etc/rpm/

It's safer to chroot, in theory you can develop without this, but are likely to fuck your system at one point or another (also the above uses btrfs, don't think it's the default anymore, so might need tweaking)

I'm just waiting for the return of Windows Phone. It was the least shitty mobile OS.

Nokia was Nokia, they wanted to sell apps so there had to be DRM. Name another OEM that would auto-install busybox and give you sudo when you enabled developer mode. You just couldn't jailbreak until Inception appeared.

>Inside the device
>[N9 terminal] The MeeGo system is a far more Linux-like environment than Android provides. A terminal application comes preinstalled on the device; it works well enough for what it is, but the truth of the matter is that trying to do command-line work with an on-screen keyboard is always going to be painful. Fortunately, there's an easier way. If one puts the device into developer mode (a simple menu tweak) and plugs it into a computer's USB port, the device offers to connect in "SDK mode." In that mode, it presents as a network interface; there is even a built-in DHCP server so the computer side of the connection gets configured automatically. After that, it's just a matter of using SSH to obtain a shell on the handset. Unlike Android handsets, the N9 has Busybox on it from the start, so the shell is actually reasonably usable.

>For the most part, the phone environment feels like Linux. There is, however, no functioning su command; one is, instead, supposed to use devel-su. The result is a shell that claims to be root, but all it takes is a find command run from the top of the filesystem to see that root is not all-powerful on this system. There are certain things that one still cannot access or change. This behavior is the result of the MeeGo security framework in action. Through a combination of trusted computing techniques and mandatory access control, Nokia keeps the device locked down at a certain level. It wouldn't do, after all, to let those pesky users have direct access to the media files that they think they bought on their handset.

lwn.net/Articles/487211/

but come with Chinese spyware

So I've used Android a lot and it sucks. It's supposed to be "free" but I have less control over it than I would a Windows machine.

On Sailfish, can I control what updates I get and uninstall software I don't want?

Whatever russians or chinese put out will be easily flashable with pure sfos images getting rid of proprietary crapware/spyware

if you know how to use pkcon (or just enough to install zypper with it) and terminal you're good to go

>if you know how to use pkcon (or just enough to install zypper with it) and terminal you're good to go
Cool. My other question is can I disable and dismiss notifications for things?
Android has all sorts of un-dismissable notifications (if you have more than one keyboard available it will notify me of this whenever typing, wifi calling is available, applications running "in the background" that i'm already aware of, etc.) and I fucking hate it.
I never want to be notified about anything at all except my friends and family trying to contact me.

Indeed Nokia was a corp, the developers within it were all against aegis, it was mandated from the top, surprise surprise no such shit in sfos once they left big corp and started their own, the best parts remained and continue

>Symbian had a better UI
Symbian Belle was heavily modeled on the N9. The N9 did buttonless right, and still better than iOS and Android almost 8 years later.

There is a huge patching scene that allows you to install all kinds of patches, if none are available that suit exactly this need it's all qml, so you can edit that with vi/emacs/nano yourself (and then package it as patch and share with community), but from using sfos it doesn't drown in notifications like android does, only one that is not toggable by default is about new system update (don't think you can filter email notifications by author though might be wrong about that)

Chinese Botnet

>only one that is not toggable by default is about new system update
This might be an issue, although Android has this problem as well. I think even Windows Phone had this problem.
>(don't think you can filter email notifications by author though might be wrong about that)
Don't care much about this, I disable all email notifications.

>>only one that is not toggable by default is about new system update
>This might be an issue, although Android has this problem as well. I think even Windows Phone had this problem.
You have full control over dbus, so can overwrite it if need be, but getting updates every 2 months or so is one of the actually good features of the system, their original phone jolla 1 is on the latest version (5 years now?)

>their original phone jolla 1 is on the latest version (5 years now?)
The Jolla smartphone is a smartphone produced by Jolla that runs the Sailfish OS, released on 27 November 2013
Practically 6 year phone running the latest OS version, forget about planned obsolescence

why can't we get a decent middle of the road affordable sailfish os phone

do you realize that Aurora is a SFOS version that can't use AOSP ?

There's even an app for that

Attached: file.png (720x1280, 710K)

How is that a bad thing? Fuck bionic, we have full libc here, libhybris was only a necessity because all drivers were written for android, with sfos drivers we don't give a shit about aosp

Based trump, destroys jews monopoly, even if it comes from his stupidity. In 2020 some dem will become a potus, most likely, cancel tariffs, but china already will have their own os.

I'm happy to have access to updates, I'd just rather not be prompted about them unless I check on it myself.

If Huawei decides for Aurora the masses will drop and despise it because of muh Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp etc.
You'd need AOSP to somewhat please the masses

Chinese bot net surveillance, goodie!

AOSP has nothing to do with those? There are already native fb/ig apps, whatsapp not sure, last time they were banning users for using reveng'd API, so aliendalvik (android compatibility layer) I believe was needed for that, still better to develop that on your own drivers than on top of libhybris translation layer

No!
American bot net surveillance, good.

>last time they were banning users for using reveng'd API
that's because those native apps are all 3rd party and not endorsed in any way by Zuck
Also just think about it, normies will search in Jolla Store for Facebook with a blue F. They will not know about Storeman/openrepos and that there exists facebook apps that have different icons and are still somewhat legit

that was before FB acquisition though, no idea if they changed their policy on that, but at the time third-party programs were banned
You can install openrepos client on your own if jolla store won't allow it for whatever reason, hell you can just click on .rpm file and install whatever you wish (and again if russians/chinks try to block this with aurora, just flash proper sfos image and you're golden). But you're right, this was never supposed to be for normies no matter how they tried with UI polish

Alright redpill me on Sailfish, what is it in terms of
>installing external apps
>drivers for display,graphics,comm etc
>SDK and app development
>compiling custom kernel and OS
>long-term security updates

Attached: 233716.png (451x357, 100K)

>what might have been
I can tell you: nokia CEO would be selling shoes now

Installing external apps - one click in settings to allow them, then just click on rpm and click install
Drivers - hard to tell if it will change as all drivers so far were for android and the whole libhybris is there to translate it into normal linux (you have normal userland on sfos, no bionic shit)
You can compile on device, they have their own SDK based on qt-creator for proper desktop development, I like to tinker on my phone
Custom kernel is too much linked to drivers, if they release proper sfos drivers this should be a non-issue
You get updates (including all security hotfixes) every 1-2 months, so much better than waiting on phone developer update if it will ever come, jolla 1 their first phone is on the latest version, almost 6 years later

I perfectly know this, hell I'm currently using an XA2 with SFOS as my main phone. Still my point is the average jon will have no idea about it and trash it

>installing external apps
just about any .rpm package suitable for ARM and .apk if you have an AOSP installed

>drivers for display,graphics,comm etc
depends on whoever is the manufacturer of the phone you want to convert. The phone must have an unlocked bootloader and you need to download drivers from let's say Sony
>SDK and app development
sailfishos.org/wiki/SailfishOS

>compiling custom kernel and OS
fastboot or adb

>long-term security updates
see

what about root capability? any major forks i should know about? is fully rpm-based?

4D chess MAGA

forks? You just have root, devel-su for just switching into root shell, su-devel to execute a single command as root. That's it, you have full control over your hardware

nice.
it comes with standard utils bash, yes?

Yup

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 86K)

Last entry on Wikipedia
>Elop departed Telstra as part of its restructuring on 31 July 2018, but will maintain a "close relationship" to it.
>July 2018
Might as well be selling shoes, same difference

With Huawei having their phones on the line pretty sure they will develop a better aliendalvik than jolla managed to put out (8.1 at this point?), AOSP is open source, even if google ban them from using it, oh my how hard is it to download sources and compile, all they can do is refuse google play store to be officially supported, google play store works on XA2 sfos phones, if something like whatsapp is going to be an issue they will have it emulated (hope whatsapp is popular in china, but most likely not really)

>8.1 at this point
jup
>hope whatsapp is popular in china
nope they use WeChat

shoe developers
shoe developers
shoe developers

Attached: steve-ballmer-developers-bandwidthblog-664x534.jpg (664x534, 51K)

I think wechat even works on anbox. Though really with huawei adopting sailfish we should see app ports on it.

most apps these days are web apps
it wouldn't be that difficult porting to a new platform, beside most of the codebase is virtually unchanged

Well the only problem is with proprietary shit like whatsapp was pulling with third party developers, still works when you emulate whole android, but it's an overkill for most cases (did whatsapp finally get a web-based desktop version?)

homie you live under a rock or something? Whatsapp Web has been a thing since 2015
any messaging app worth its salt has a web client

Attached: web.png (662x389, 32K)

I don't really follow closely development of sw I don't use

Webapps were supposed to be king for what... 8 years now? The whole cloud push is even older, then the crypto dapps came, chromebooks surely kill MS/win with stadia, any moment now

Trump is a literal god.

if i have to drink poison, I'm drinking the poison my family makes. At least I know what that poison does.

Marg bar Android
Marg bar Google

Bullshit. Elop was a MickySquish plant who's loyalty was never to Nokia or its shareholders. Nokia should have never hired him, should have committed to Meego and regained their relevance. The N9 was regarded highly but that pos Elop refused to sell it in the West cuz his masters at MS told him not to. They new it would outshine that doomed turd Windows Phone. Nokia didn't fight valiantly to the end, it was betrayed and docilely led to slaughter. Believing otherwise is an ignorant rewrite of history.

Sailfish isn't Russian though, it's Finnish

Russians are keeping the lights on. Still, no matter what spyware ends up on RusGovPhone, everyone profits from being able to pull base system directly from jolla and having a proper linux system on mobile

I didn't even realize that jolla and sailfish were still kicking.

Attached: 1560183574647.jpg (640x854, 105K)

Fuck that, I want the alternate reality where Nokia never partnered with Intel and fully committed to Maemo

You think Dolan Kushner has any ideas of his own, and isn't just setting the policies that massive corporations, like Alphabet, want?

I've used this on a Nexus 5 two years ago. Sucked ass because it has no apps and the Android runtime layer is proprietary and didn't come with the version I tried. Maybe things are better, who knows. I am looking for an Android alternative.

Attached: 1554409011564.png (325x325, 138K)

Try GNU Replicant, then.

GNU only took 15 years to reach rough parity with UNIX, and they got the kernel for free in the end.

>It's safer to chroot

I thought that until recently.

yet again, private industry proves its more capable of handling an economy than the gov

this will be disastrous for america in the long run

Replicant is to Android what Trisquel is to Debian. From what I gathered it's just Android with all the "non-free" (non-GPL) parts stripped out. Whereas Sailfish is using custom userland components and a unique GUI on top of Linux. I'm looking for something that isn't Android, because Android is a pile of shit. Unfortunately it's the only pile of shit we have (Windows mobile and iOS are completely unusable and BBOS is dead).

>15 years to replace Unix
That's 75% of my life right there. I still prefer Unix distros to Linux. Solaris always had better file systems and compilers and other assorted tools and IRIX always had the best GUI and graphics related stuff, even if it was tied to $20k hardware. Motif was always the best toolkit even if it doesn't look fancy, whereas GTK and Qt are trashfires that are downright insulting to work with. To this day I enjoy retro Unix systems more than Gahnoo/Lignugs. Linux did not deserve to replace Unix. It's just shit.

TLDR - I have nothing nice to say about the foot cheese eater's compilers or the penguin program. And I'm drunk. That is all.

>this opinion
far too many 14 year olds here

Wtf I am supposed to hate china

Soon there will be dozens of us. I'm working on auto refresh now

My XA2 costs under $200AUD and runs fucking excellent

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

vocaroo.com/i/s0WChwy6Fv5C

You are an exceptionally sick puppy. Bark on lil bitch.

I couldn't give two shits how many chinks get killed.

The world is over populated because of chinks, Pajeets and monkeys (Nigerians)