Debian 9 wifi setup

My wifi keeps dropping when I dist-upgrade on a fresh install. My wifi card is Broadcom BCM4313 (PCI ID 14e4:4727) and I have installed the brcm80211 firmware during the OS setup which works fine until I dist-upgrade...

Any ideas?

Attached: Debian_logo.png (300x395, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/395942/wifi-think-penguin-usb-and-debian-9-wont-work
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do what I do and just have a cron job automatically remove and re-enable the wifi driver with modprobe -r

trying right now will report.

fuck recaptcha

It's not an ideal solution, I recommend you look into what's actually causing the issue.
Mine was caused by shitty realtek drivers that spaz out when going into sleep mode.

I think it might be outdated BIOS but I'll have to install Winjew to update it. :/

I just managed to download all the packages with your solution and it's installing now let's see what happens. :D

Feels fucking shitty tho. I hope I don't have to do this everytime I upgrade...

>Any ideas?
Buy a wifi hardware that works with free drivers.

>broadcom
you fucked up

I actually have one laying around. Wasn't sure if it'd be compatible. Will try later.

It's old.

mark as hold the packages of firmware related to your bcm chipset ; alternatively download prev version and extract blobs to /usr/lib/firmware/

wifi is shit in linux

Arch Linux doesn't have this problem.

windows doesn't have this problem

I tried to mark as hold the package but it was still dropping. Will try the second way.

re install windows, then post a thread about how you have been using linux for two days and it's shit

I wish your luck in using debian however I encourage you the next time you get a computer to get one that respects your freedoms.

stuck between these two choices
happened to me with some shit asus netbook
no wifi drivers for linux and was stuck with winshit 10
returned that shit and got my money back.
best to do your research and see if the product supports linux next time

It's old... I wasn't even using Linux when I purchased it.

Will try with Ethernet cable tomorow(don't have access to 1 atm)

he fell for the debian meme lol

My network card was the problem(it was working no problem on Windows? lol)... I used an usb dongle(installed Debian offline then installed the dongle drivers manually) and managed to get it working by following(couldn't believe it made it work):
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/395942/wifi-think-penguin-usb-and-debian-9-wont-work

I almost cried... almost. ;)

Big thanks to everyone to responded even if it was to troll me.

Attached: 1458224497549.png (2133x1200, 1.01M)

Works on my machine :-)

it's not a meme bra, comfiest shit ever I can't use anything else.

I recommend the next netbook you get be the lenovo thinkpad x230. The x230 can be bought (at 4 gb of ram) for $200 on amazon. Not only that but it is upgradeable to 16 gigabytes of ram, so you are covered in the long term. It has full support for linux, is very durable, and is very performant.

Install kernel headers and DPKS.

You need a new kernel header for every kernel upgrade.

This is why we advise using atheros chips instead of broadcom because proprietary firmware requires a kernel module rebuild every kernel update.

Sorry I mean DKMS.
Kernel headers need to match your current kernel version.

Type "uname -r" to find your kernel version.

Then find the matching kernel header.
"linux-headers-4.19.0-5-amd64" for example.

DKMS uses these headers to recompile a newer module for your automatically.

Install arch

>pacman -S linux-headers broadcom-wl-dkms

user I had to compile the driver as well on debian and had similar issues. I'll try to find le leddit thread where a friendly helped me out.

I've broken Debian more times then arch so I don't believe the larp that most spew about breaking xorg.

it just works if you do it the debian way but it's too modified to upstream. that pisses me off because the fact that it's good has nothing to do with "doing it the debian way"

why did you post that pic!!!

damn it, now i wished i was a lesbian too...

can you plug in to ethernet for the install, then once you got it installed and your new software configured for wifi then unplug from the ethernet

Ubuntu doesn't have this problem

Try the various different drivers. I have to use wl for good regular usage, but switch to brcmac to out it in monitor mode.

And that’s the problem with Windows. It’s shit because they support too much old shit.

Okay Mr uses precompiled kernel