ITunes is Dead

Apple is ending support for iTunes.

I use iTunes to manage around 200GB of lossy music

How hard would it be to create your own music library software? I can't imagine it would be THAT hard.

It seems like it mostly just a collection of strings that link to a media file at some specified location. Certain files are associated with each other and then there's someway to display all the files and relations.

I have absolutely no background in software engineering. My only programming experience is C++ and FORTRAN for some heavy scientific computing.

How hard would it be Jow Forums? Where would I start? Maybe learn about databases or something? How do I create a program that has a graphical interface? I'm so used to exclusively using the terminal for coding and nothing else.

Attached: dead-itunes-625x352.png (625x352, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0IpYkNZRdi8?t=37
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>arrange all your music into folders nicely
>make your own albums and playlists

there's the end of your need for music management software

>I use iTunes to manage around 200GB of lossy music
And MS Paint to edit your photos?

doesn't work great for around 2,000 individual albums tho. Need someway to visualize it better than Finder

>MS Paint
Yes!!!

Are you on M.A.C.? They're not really destroying iTunes. Just breaking it up into multiple softs.

>mac

yes. aw ok, didn't know that. regardless, I've been thinking about making my own music database system or whatever for a while and thought this might be a good opportunity to start messing around with that

Just use mpv in your music folder. Your shell can figure out names.

itunes so far

Attached: be like.png (407x184, 5K)

pretty much

>mpv
i will look

I was like you 4 years ago. Switched to foobar, its actually better for library management. Spend some time with it, you'll never want to go back to iTunes.

musicbee its a good alternative, a bit more user friendly, many people prefer it over foobar.

Jriver Media Center is pretty decent and makes your collection super pretty. Lots of features (though some work better than others). Just be warned that they'll try to jew more shekels out of you for each major update, but there's really not much reason to upgrade anyway so it doesn't matter all that much.

>I use iTunes to manage around 200GB of lossy music
And nothing is going to stop you from using it. Chill out.

On Mac you'll get the Music app which is basically debloated iTunes. Do you faggots ever read anything beyond headlines?

>foobar
yeah i remember that from mu way back when, never looked in to it much. maybe that's what I'll do now

will check out, thx

see I'm looking less for suggestions for alternatives than I am on good approaches to learning software design for creating a basic tool like this

just use apple music. it's literally itunes but stripped down to only be music.

Well that's bullshit. I own a small electronics repair shop. Most the iOS devices I get have hardware issues like dead/dying batteries or cracked screens or sticky buttons. However, I do occasionally get ones with firmware issues that need a complete wipe. This is accomplishing using iTunes on Windows or OS X, where it downloads a firmware bundle and flashes it to the device. The bundles are signed. So if iTunes disappears, how the fuck am I supposed to restore these? Servicing Apple shit is already bad enough. I'm about ready to just put up an "iToddlers not welcome" sign in the front window, since 90% of my business is PCs and Samsung phones.

As far as managing music goes, just use folders with the name of the band. Every file picker on every OS has a search function you can use.

Use beets

Just use Clementine or Media Monkey.

I was using foobar but recently tried out MusicBee and was liking it until I SAW THIS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT
FUUUUUUUUUCK
WHY CAN'T I FUCKING FIX THIS

Attached: FUCK.png (1420x575, 341K)

both of these suck

Clementine seems to be abandoned. There's a fork called Strawberry continuing development instead.

nice catch

finder on macos inherits these features of itunes. itunes on windows will keep existing for now.

the most accurate image I've seen on Jow Forums

Autist

The only software that I found most comfortable (on Windows) after using iTunes for a long time was AIMP. MusicBee is an absolute convoluted fucking mess of a program and Foobar requires some mad ricing and plugins here and there just to get something similar (and slow it down).

B-but... How I can add / delete music from my iPod Shuffle?

>M.A.C.
what did he mean by this?

I use foobar.

It will show up as an external drive in Finder.
youtu.be/0IpYkNZRdi8?t=37

Macaroni and cheese, what else?

ah yes my bad. i take it you also drink linux mint tea as well?

I only consume non proprietary beverages.

i see i see. your opinion on the wincoke soda? i hear it's really good but unfortunately the company behind it doesn't want to reveal its ingredients. oh well

As long as it kills me faster it sounds good to me.

just use foobar or spotify m8

why does it fucking matter if they end support for it? do you need support to run iTunes? are you a retard?

>wasting space for background music
Just stream it off youtube.