/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: friendlylinuxthread-mina-edition.webm (1920x1080, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UmOU3I36T2U
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta#Basic_operations
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
atlassian.com/git/tutorials/dotfiles
electricmonk.nl/log/2015/06/22/keep-your-home-dir-in-git-with-a-detached-working-directory/
youtube.com/watch?v=RTFyrZo8Dns
youtube.com/watch?v=QlD9UBTcSW4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what the fugg

Attached: IMG_20190613_123657.jpg (2457x1375, 1.18M)

Right click in that folder -> open terminal -> type : python3 CullaX.py

ah its an issue with colorgram, thanks

someone got that locked down user.js to work for a shitposting firefox profile? kinda feels like a pain to go line by line deleting to make it work if someone has figured it out.
got noscript captcha on and can select all the right stuff to get the code, but always fails to post when i click submit.

I live in an area with shitty internet so I like Fedora because it has delta updates. Any other distros that have actual functioning delta updates? I know there's something for Debian in theory, but it doesn't seem to be supported in practice.

why dont you make your own distro?

Attached: 19129200338281.jpg (1091x1080, 183K)

That's silly, there are better people than I making distros already.

Install Debian 9.9

I prefer letting others do the hard work for me

If I did that, who would shitpost here?

I got xubuntu on a Surface Pro 3, now what? Do I install anything I need with apt-get? say for example mpv

>now what?
Install Debian

Gonna need a ppa for mpv, check the site.

how do i fix a linux boot failure? I compiled the kernel from linus' tree just fine (I followed Greg's tutorial)
if i want to debug this, how do i compile linux such that the error during loading is more verbose?

I am right now

Anyone who’s tried installing linux on Matebook 13?

I've never used Linux. Im a windows user, and have always been. I'm about to start a programming class, and since I always tought Linux seemed interesting I wanna try it out. I tried to use the flowchart in the OP but I really didn't get anywhere. What benefits could I get frmo using Linux? Besides the experience of learning and using it. Keep in mind I'm an average PC user, but I also need to be able to program and run audio recording-editing software.
Is it worth it? I tried googling but most results render some form of "10 reasons why Linux is great!!!!" and are honestly bad. Care to give a noob a nudge in the right direction?

Even faster when in dolphin press F4 to open a terminal pane in current dir

Don't know much about audio apart from that you can use a real time kernel to get bounded (and often very low) latencies which can help a lot. Heard LMMS is quite fine, look towards jack if you are looking to customize your audio setup.

As for Linux itself you get :
>full customizability of your desktop
>advanced automation thanks to the shell
>fast prototyping with Python integrated in your os
>a serious dev environment, less accessible than Visual Studio shit but oh so much more efficient
>a friendlyC^W community that helps you when needed

Attached: fglt.jpg (940x627, 81K)

I'm interested in the automation and more-serious dev enviroment. Could you provide some examples? I'm currently learning to automate basics tasks on python (please no bully) and would like to know how this is improved upon. Same for the "more efficient" part. I like the customizability aspect, to be honest.
Thanks for your time user.

Hello /fglt/, can you assist please?

My friend gave me his ASUS K50IN, and I decided to put GNU/Linux on it. So I downloaded Manjaro xfce and Installed it on the machine, no probs, happy user for 3 weeks.
Then I decided to add few hardware upgrades. I replaced 2 x 1GB Ram modules with 2 x 2GB. Additionally I replaced 250 GB HDD with a 480 GB SSD. Now it was time to install Manjaro. And during installation process it sharts installation with boost.python error and fails the process. I tried reinstalling the system 5 more times and it still sharts boost.python errors during installation process. I also tried to install lubuntu, same problem.

Please help, I don't want to install Windows on it, also I want Arch-based distro on it.

Well for starters the programming tools are an integral part of the OS, instead of "use an IDE you fuck" that windows provides. And it does what you tell it to without trying to auto update and reset at the worst times. In other words it trusts it's user (although if you're overly careless that could be a negative too). It also has it's source freely available, so you can learn it from the inside out.

Honestly, the real answer is going to be hard to answer to someone starting out, but shit like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=UmOU3I36T2U
is why I love linux. (less about eBPF itself, which is cool btw, look it up, but look at how much ground he covers in a couple minutes, jumping from the source code to manuals, etc all in the command line)

It depends on your needs, but in my everyday life I've had eg. to automate fetching lots of images from a website, search/replacing on thousands of files, doing image modifications on several folders, error/hacking attempts mitigation and reporting, automatic SSL certs renewal, sending me a text message if and when some long running work succeeds, automatic daily testing of my code... But that's my list as a full time dev yours might be different

As for dev env you have full choice of your tools. You can use an IDE like on windows or manage your run/test/build process by hand and often it is straightforward to switch from one to the other. I love meson for example, and contrary to IDEs it allows me to get exactly what I want the way I want without hopelessly searching a GUI for what might look like what I want.
There's a steep learning curve at first but if you're well accompanied and willing to soak in some time and hard work it's well worth the hassle. Try to find someone IRL that might help you if you want to save time

xfce

Attached: MS.png (437x301, 8K)

All that sounds really enticing, user. I'm sold! I'll do my homework on what distro should I start with. Thank you!

I'm building a distributed system, and I need the IP adresses of the directly connected hosts.

I was thinking of a 0-hop arp scan, but I can't configure arp scans it seems.

Any idea of how to do this?

can someone explain how the mesa library and gallium works?

Whenever I launch an X server session with i3 or so, my tty shell duplicates on both monitors until I reboot.
How do I fix this so it goes back to just 1 monitor when I Shift+Alt+Fn or exit an X server session?

Attached: FC0D10E9-E88D-4A7E-92FB-DD7C95030D11.jpg (2100x1575, 589K)

And it’s no easy to find solution by searching as almost all results instead asks “how to get dual screen in tty?”

Other companies like system76 that make decent linux laptops for work?

Dell has some, but I think most of the smaller companies like system76 just sell rebadged clevo machines. So at that point, you would be paying for support if it is going to be bought through your work.

Solved, arp -a did the trick

You're welcome !

Thanks, let's see what my boss decide.

>Most efficient distro?

>Most powerful distro?

>Lightest on cpu and ram distro?

Please answer these stupid questions.

gentoo

distros are just collections of programs. if you want minimal start with arch and build it how you want

Single answer to three questions?

Is NixOS stable enough for personal laptop production use? I just tried Guix and really like the ideas, but if I have to use Nix package manager in Guix I would rather use NixOS itself.

>but if I have to use Nix package manager in Guix
Who says you have to?

I admire the idea of GNU, but realistically not having nonfree packages as an options in Guix is a bummer.

i have the kernel version 4.18.0-21 generic.
When does it make sense to upgrade?
We currently have version 5 out, correct?

i use this laptop for working and some slight gaming.... [spoiler]maybe one day with a whore that plays dark souls while I go full anal nelson on her for the playing session....[/spoiler]

Pls respond

HELP!
when I tried to update my manjaro, it shows
>error: required key missing from keyring
I tried to reinstall manjaro keyring but it's still failed

here's the pic

Attached: Screenshot_20190613_173400.png (1366x768, 762K)

how do people get polybar all nice with little white interactive icons for wifi/battery/sound etc. mine looks like shit and half of it doesn't work

>start using the system
>shake head about all the freetardism
>3 years pasd
>in love with freedom and its community
>shake head about my head shaking younger self
the interjection pasta has changed my life

>fedora server
>cent os
why

When I do a ls -l the date shows up in my native instead of English such as "jún" instead of "Jun". I figured it has something to do with location info but I don't know how to correct it.
Any ideas?

Attached: bowie_zoom.gif (257x200, 1.24M)

become one with the rice

Attached: screen-190613-072454.png (1366x768, 195K)

h-how?

Hey fags. What program are you using to monitor your Nginx/Apache (etc) logs?

Figured out that locale -k LC_TIME lists out, but I don't know how can I change it and update the locale at the same time.

Temporarily:
> LC_TIME=C ls -l
Permanently:
Dépends on jour distro

Attached: 1546743361660.jpg (1588x1172, 395K)

Fixed! Thank you though. I was overthinking and all I had to do is
echo $LC_TIME
sudo localectl set-locale LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8

Debian 11 Bullseye coming soon

search for dotfiles on github

Attached: desktop.webm (1920x1080, 1.28M)

I'm too stupid for this stuff. I grabbed a polybar config from someone'd dotfiles, read through the whole thing to check paths/dependencies and it still just doesn't show up

then use the default config and rice one section at a time

I will do that. also is that webm yours?

How do you get images in dmenu?

nope

ask this guy

gentoo users;
Testing or stable?

Is there any program that gives you an overview of all the packages you have installed and what dependencies they have? I want to remove all the packages I don't need

Depends on what package manager you got. One of the few differences distros actually have.

Pacman

unless your on an obscure hipster meme distro:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta#Basic_operations
Remove dependencies that are no longer needed, because e.g. the package which needed the dependencies was removed.
pacman -Qdtq | pacman -Rs - dnf autoremove
apt autoremove
zypper rm -u
emerge --depclean

mostly stable
you can selectively install unstable packages if a newer version has something you want
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
i'm using stable except for mpv, wine and a few that don't have a "stable" version

How do you put your dotfiles on GitHub?
I mean, do you create a ~/github directory and symlink your config there, then create a repo in ~/github?

Attached: 6bf50ae0edb8e22a021e8d42ef860aa540adae36_hq.jpg (1024x910, 49K)

I just git init ~ and .gitignore * then force add files I want to track
You could also use a bare/detached repo

atlassian.com/git/tutorials/dotfiles
electricmonk.nl/log/2015/06/22/keep-your-home-dir-in-git-with-a-detached-working-directory/

What characters do you like to use for CLI music visualizers /fglt/?
Just tried ◉ and I think it looks pretty cool.

Attached: vis.png (1023x828, 49K)

neat

Is apparmour worth setting up on a single user machine?
It seems like its alot of work for little reward

Oh, neat. I didn't consider this.

I don't, why would I share them there? I guess I did make a barebones repo of a few dotfiles, but the main dotfiles repo stays in a my private server.

Because I don't care so much about other people seeing them, and I want a quick way to set up the machine I'll have at work without copy pasting from a usb thumbdrive.

Next thing you'll tell me is you don't have a server.
But by all means upload it there if you are fine with it, what do I care?

>mkdir -p ~/.dotfiles/vim
>mv ~/.vimrc ~/.dotfiles/vim
>cd ~/.dotfiles/
>stow vim
That's an example for vim, adapt to yours. You can then use .dotfiles as a regular git repo, and stow everything in it (~/.vimrc is a symlink to the version in your .dotfiles in this example)
Hope this helps

Attached: freedo.png (260x280, 23K)

Fedora has very large updates. Other distros usually don’t have a need for deltas.
Stable distros such as Debian and Centos usually have fewer updates, the later also has deltas.
Opensuse might have something similar. On gentoo and guix you could just download the patch and recompile it everytime.

Anyone?

Github is Microsoft country. Use something else.

Weird. Is if it is the exact same error the ssd may be malfunctioning. Try with Ubuntu LTS or an older Manjaro image.

A stable one, such as Debian. Don’t use gnome, it’s shit. Use KDE, Xfce or MATE whichever you like more.
You can install other distros on vms to do your ricing.

Guix

There are community non free repos, loser.

how hard is it senpai?

Hi,
Ubuntu Budgie 18.4 goes black screen after GRUB on HP Pavilion g6 (it has 2 AMD gpus). Googled thoroughly, but didn't find an actual solution to this.
Only a couple of workarounds, which are:
I can either boot with nomodeset, but it leaves me w/o the driver so everything is broken and slow.
Or I can simply close and open the notebooks' lid when I get to the black screen and that would fix it.. but that's annoying to do every time and it's not a proper solution.

Any ideas?

post gnu/linux copypasta please

Nice.

Look for “stallman interjection” on knowyourmeme.

youtube.com/watch?v=RTFyrZo8Dns

Attached: 1497898828877.webm (480x360, 1.63M)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

installing bsd..

Attached: king.png (596x452, 277K)

gnome

Attached: il_fullxfull.272842970.jpg (1500x1125, 425K)

youtube.com/watch?v=QlD9UBTcSW4

Ich möchte nur mal kurz etwas einwerfen. Was du als "Linux" bezeichnest ist in Wirklichkeit "GNU/Linux", oder wie ich seit kurzem zu sagen pflege, "GNU mit Linux". Linux ist kein Betriebssystem an sich sondern vielmehr eine weitere freie Komponente eines funktionstüchtigen GNU Systems, das sich aus den GNU Kernbibliotheken, Kommandozeilenwerkzeuge und lebenswichtigen Komponenten ein vollwertiges Betriebssystem laut POSIX-Definition ergibt.

Viele Computeranwender arbeiten jeden Tag mit einer angepassten Version des GNU Systems ohne es zu merken. Durch eine eigentümliche Wendung der Ereignisse wird die heutzutage am häufigsten genutzte Version von GNU oftmals als "Linux" bezeichnet und viele Anwender sind sich nicht bewusst darüber, dass es sich im Grunde genommen um das vom GNU-Projekt entwickelte GNU-System handelt.

Linux gibt es wirklich und diese Leute verwenden es auch, aber es ist nur ein Teil des verwendeten Systems. Linux ist der Kernel: Das Programm, das im System die Ressourcen der Hardware den anderen Anwendungen, die man ausführt, zuweist. Der Kernel ist ein unersetzbarer Teil eines vollständigen Betriebssystems aber auf sich alleine gestellt nutzlos; er kann nur im Kontext eines vollständigen Betriebssystems seine Aufgaben erfüllen. Linux wird im Normalfall in Kombination mit dem GNU Betriebssystem eingesetzt: Das Gesamtsystem ist im Grunde GNU mit zusätzlichem Linux, oder "GNU/Linux". All die sogenannten "Linux Distributionen" sind in Wirklichkeit "GNU/Linux Distributionen".

Attached: 1560438435320.jpg (828x960, 101K)

try ,,,๑, ,ㅂ,▰, ಠ

is there any temperature monitoring programs for ubuntu like hwinfo for windows?

I want to see how my cpu is doing

lm_sensors