/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a SUPER series that will reportedly see 20 series cards upgraded to one higher card tier: e.g., the 2060 SUPER will perform like a 2070 at the old 2060's price point. More info on the SUPER series possible on 6/21.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

Previous:

Attached: chipset-cheatsheet.jpg (1510x849, 717K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/zqYr7P
amazon.com/dp/B07HCQ618F/
pcpartpicker.com/list/dgjmbX
imgur.com/a/xh2ny
gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#support-dl-driver-chipset
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

How many inches is too much for 1440p

How far away are you sitting from it and do you want to stop at the soft limit of increased perception of realness or at the harder limit?

Bit more then a foot and a soft limit is fine

Not the other user, but 24" or 27" max

4K build:
Is Ryzen 3 (gen 1) enough? Seems so.
I am eyeing a first gen thread ripper for $250, are these still good good vs upcoming gen 3? I’m patient so I can wait.
Thinking Radeon VII because value performance.

However, at this point I also am somewhat interested in going for the eco-friendly route with lower power consumption.

Id be willing to buy a new mobo and case since mine is hot and micro size. I bought a house and moved out of an APT so I can go Big now.

Please advise and please no ray tracing tesselator Vulcan marketing shit. Also please make your response more nuanced than ‘VII IS SHIT, NVIDIA ARE JEWS’.

Data, long term usability, energy draw, applications are far more useful.

Right now eying RVII and threadripper gen 1 12 core or an intel/Nvidia build if i can get one that runs cool and somewhat low power consumption.

>MSI B450M Bazooka V2
>Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

You can only pick one. Go.

Attached: 1545177496591.jpg (600x900, 187K)

4k you're going to be 100% GPU bound. Radeon 7 is good considering especially the vram but the 2080ti is the better card for 4k.
TR is good especially with 1st gen getting huge price cuts but even with the grain of salt from leaked benchmarks the 3950x is going to be far better than TR and all of intel's HEDT cpus. But again for 4k gaming any current gen CPU should do fine

1st gen TR is terrible at gaming and you have to buy an expensive mobo. Read OP regarding new product launches, check builds in OP for a baseline

Redpill me on monitors. I need to buy a new one. Everything seems catered to videogaymers

>AMD's Vulkan AMD
wow ur so knowledgable aren't you
stfu adults are talking

Main use of it is if you wanted to have 3 (or more?) full speed NVMeme drives. Which only really has use for video editing, or running TONs of VMs (which a 16 core could do).
There may be some scientific cases where the bandwidth is useful for a GPU as well, just not for games.

Why the fuck are you spoiling your brother so much? He doesn't need that shit
Get him a 2400G build with a pink case.
But sure, that's a solid build as long as the 2060 Super winds up being 8GB of VRAM like the rumors suggest.

CUs are so massively improved in Navi, that it'll likely do ray tracing better than the 2060 does
despite not having a dedicated accelerator. lmao.

Why would you buy gigabyte 400 series boards?

No. Zen2 on AM4 is much better unless you actually need quad channel memory (which you don't).

I'm a retard. What's the best way to transfer my 2.5TB of anime from my current build to my new one. Can I just take my 3TB HDD out and swap it into the new one if it isn't my C: drive?

Attached: taps.gif (498x278, 3.47M)

yes

>Why would you buy gigabyte 400 series boards?
Why not?

2 jews compete for your money.
1440 144 hz.
Or
4K 60hz.

My thoughts.

I can’t see 144hz vs 60 FPS but it’s cheaper and easier to achieve.

I can definately see what it does but its kind of gay because everything is tiny AF. Also not every game even supports 4K interfaces. Lastly graphics cards seem to be 5 years from doing a good job at 4K 60fps ultra settings and if you spend $1000 on the card you’re still not ‘there’. I’ve given up 4K to revert to 1440 for some games and it’s hard. It’s like the jump from 1080 to 480. Blurry and gay looking.

But if you haven’t seen it, you don’t necessarily know what your missing

dilate

Thank you.

>CUs are so massively improved in Navi, that it'll likely do ray tracing better than the 2060 does
I want whatever you're smoking. Navi won't do raytracing well until it gets the accelerator that the new consoles will have

So what am I supposed to do when Win7 support ends and I still want to play games? I have to use 10 at work and I hate it, security shit aside.

Attached: 1385766851082.gif (505x607, 13K)

>Not buying superior 4k 144hz or 1080p 240hz

Update to windows 10

What exactly is the ‘purpose’ of Ryzen 3, 5, 7, 9, and thread ripper?

Would a zen 3, ryzen 3 be good? I love the first gen one I have desu.

Will intel do better this year or next?

So far i've just been using an old 1080p monitor that's at least 7-8 years old. But I was looking at buying a new wide one: lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor

Seems like really good value, will this be fine given that I don't play videogames?

>no 3000 ryzen for a320 motherboards
weird, msi release bios updates supposedly for the upcoming amd cpus.
am I being bamboozled?
pic related

Attached: 2019-06-12_22-21.png (628x827, 159K)

Linux and spend hours learning how to play music or use a controller

Anyone own an MSI MAG24C or other similar 144Hz VA monitors by MSI? I'm thinking of getting one because of how cheap they are.

Adding onto this, you can't downscale to 1440 on a 4k monitor as an even division. 1440 will always look better on a 1440 monitor than on a 4k monitor, so if you're not driving 4k content to it, it's an even worse experience.

Give me dat 1440@60hz

Also, I don’t ever overcloxk. Please recommend a processor for me thanks

I WANNA KNOW MORE ABOUT NVIDIA SUPER

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.png (554x388, 222K)

so did they release any information on the super cards?

More powerful than release versions, probably the same MSRP. Production on older version stopping. Stupid fucking naming scheme.

any release date or just usual soon garbage

after some research, it seems the a320 chipsets will support the Ryzen 3000 series apus, should I buy a ryzen 3 or ryzen 5?

Soon (TM)

But rumored for June/July

friend wants a build for light gaming but mostly graphic design work, and preferably all parts on amazon/newegg, I was going with the list from the OP here pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/zqYr7P but it's really late and my mind is fried from travelling
budget is 1k, but since they'll have to buy a monitor keyboard and mouse along with other accessories (they're coming from using a mac for years) I'd try to keep it a little bit lower than that
thanks in advance /pcbg/

please reply i need to know whether to buy this

If you're not gaming, 4K 60Hz VA @ 27"

Athlons and R3s are basic desktop usage
R5s and R7s are gaming or video editing
R9s are streaming or video editings
TR is for professionals, often those working with VMs and many devices

Likely that some mobo manufacturers will include support in their BIOS

Check benchmarks for your application

You can get a RX 590 for ~$160.

they bad

Attached: ApplicationFrameHost_2019-06-12_02-06-17.png (2048x1146, 1.82M)

Hi /v/ can you help? I cannot into computers.
Will I need to upgrade for Cyberpunk 2077?
>cpu: i5 7600, videocard: gigabyte 2GB GTX 1050, mobo: Asus H270
I know its not out until April and requirements haven't even been announced, just worrying.
Will compatible parts be available?

Attached: msy nvidia videocards and intel cpus.jpg (474x912, 227K)

I recommend upgrading your graphics card

No you can't, at least none are listed on pcpartpicker for even close to that price

Yes, graphics card for sure, likely CPU as well. You can get an i7 7700 used, but it might be cheaper to just upgrade the whole platform to AM4. Obviously don't buy anything now

>If you're not gaming, 4K 60Hz VA @ 27"

I'm not made of money

Yeah I figure that, guess I was a bit too budget conscious when I built end of 2017

Where at?

The cpu ain't that bad unless you want 144hz. Just wait for Nvidia Super to upgrade. It'll probably be better than what Amd has to offer

4K can be really cheap if you want it to be
43” 4K 60Hz, $218 at your local Walmart

if the cpu needs to to go as well - I've heard speculation of the game needing 3.7+ghz - what would be compatible with the mobo?

Whatever it is as long as it's IPS or OLED
Once you go with deep blacks, you never want to go back
unless the monitor is absolutely huge (like 50") then anything above 1080p is a meme and if you want more vidya grafx then just turn up the in-game rendering/DSR factor setting
144Hz is a plus but how often do you even play games at those framerates?

Why should I not simply buy this monitor right now?
lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor

Any reason? It's $275 canadianbucks

What happens if I limit an RTX 2070 to the same TDP as the GTX 1660 Ti?
Would the RTX perform better than the GTX? Worse?

Planning on getting this SSD, is ADATA any good?

amazon.com/dp/B07HCQ618F/

What do you guys typically spend on a mobo w/overclocking in mind. Looking to get x570 and deciding on 3700x-3900x

Also what brand?
My Asus mobo has been good to me so far so i was thinking them.

>GUYS AMD WAS NOT USING THE 1903 PATCH ON THE BENCHMARKS WHICH INCREASES THE PERFORMANCE BY 15% ON RYZEN
>INTEL BTFO

where is the shill hiding now?

Attached: 1809 vs 1903.png (1920x1080, 311K)

>I've heard speculation of the game needing 3.7+ghz
Unfounded, anyway as I said the i7 7700

Probably better, but it's not a fair comparison considering Tensor cores

Check on ssd.userbenchmark

Crying in his mother's basement over the Super lineup

I prefer high framerate 144hz. Why settle for anything less? It will essentially be a bottleneck in that you wont feel that buttery smoothness depending on your specs and use case

9400f or 9600k for 2k gaming?

Does anyone know when we will start to see pricing on x570 boards? I kind of want to have a general idea what I'm going to be spending before 7/7.

If you intent to OC in the future, get the 9600k, if not get the 9400F.

We already know. They are priced between $100 being the absolute shit tier and $1000

>update 1903 does not enable the new scheduler without the updated Ryzen chipset drivers that AMD will release upon Ryzen 3's launch
Didn't even watch it, did you?

>lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor
>ultrashort
yikes

Ya, it'll perform a bit better at the same TDP.

Your entire build is really really bad. You'd need to redo it all. Well you could keep the RAM and OC it I guess

Did you even watch the video? It's coming in a chipset update which also requires update 1903.

Hello, /vr/ crossposter here. I am putting the pieces of my retro Windows 7 time machine build together tonight, but I have hit a snag. Should I get a Asus Xonar SE sound card or is the onboard audio good enough? I intend to do some audio recording.

pcpartpicker.com/list/dgjmbX

I have not assembled a computer since the old Athlon days when AMD was pretty good and not shameful to have. Any other suggestions welcome for audio for this build?

Attached: Win7_retro_build.jpg (2016x1512, 1.86M)

Neither. Why would you buy intel in 2019?
There's a reason you have blatant shills in /pcbg/ spamming stuff directly out from imgur.com/a/xh2ny to try to get you to buy Intel even though it's trash now.
Buying a 9600k in 2019 is like paying $250 for a 6300 in 2012, except they didn't even cost that much.

Oh yeah I forgot, there's always something more to wait for until you are proven wrong again.

So no, you didn't.
Nice job.

Wait for Zen2. The onboard memory is likely better than that card, as the audio chipset is directly on the SoC for the lowest possible latency. Likely the only thing better would be a DAC.
And do you really need over 32GB of RAM?

Wow, you're really upset that your Intel CPU keeps getting worse while Ryzen keeps improving even for people who bought it all the way back in 2017.
I guess I'd be upset and have buyers remorse in your position, too, but I wouldn't project and take it out on others.

But intel still best chosen for gaming.

>wait for the bios update bro
You have been posting fake benchmarks straight from reddit for days now claiming you get increased performance retard.

again, how many games do you actually play at 144+ FPS anyway?
I can think of maybe three

No

>blatant shills in /pcbg/ spamming stuff directly out from imgur.com/a/xh2ny
No one does this, little retard. False claims discredit your cause (marketing for AMD)

Yes, amdboy, yes.

aaand here's the "magic" chipset driver, mobo manufacturers just posted it early.
gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#support-dl-driver-chipset

No I'm sorry that's not the case

Nah that's an old version.

Performance did increase in some games and 3dmark. Just wasn't from the scheduler update.

Attached: qt ha.jpg (503x583, 55K)

I wished I waited, but some of the purchases were made long ago. I was mainly interested in the Asus Xonar SE card because I heard it does not have much noise in recording audio and I remembered back in my day a sound card was essential in a build. As for the RAM, I did intend to just have 32GB on 2 sticks, but back in my day it was better to have 2 sticks due to dual channel memory than one large stick, and the processor motherboard I already had seems to be a quad channel memory thing, so I ended up getting more sticks of RAM.

Attached: Current_year_arguement.jpg (2304x1728, 2.73M)

Oh, you already bought that board and CPU when Zen2 was just around the corner? That sucks.

Not him but didn't AMD's own graph show Intel still had the lead? I mean its like a 2% lead, but its still a lead.

Win some, lose some, equal in others.
I'd say its more like equal in games, we need to see more numbers, 0.1%s etc.

Pre Windows updates pre security updates. I find it funny how people are underplaying the fact that Intel's retarded security fixes require you to disable HALF THE FUCKING THREADS. Why the fuck are you cunts still defending this dick sucking company? They stagnated the CPU market for years after breaking the law multiple fucking times and you stupid cunts are still defending them after years of fuck ups and shitting on consumers.
Just shut the fuck up

Was about the same, but that was without the new scheduler update and without enabling security fixes on Intel which lowers Intel performance/

AMD was sand bagging so the independent reviews look even more positive for them and crushing for Intel.

And even if they were simply even, X570 is a better platform, and Zen2 is far cooler and lower power.

Attached: rip intel 2011-2017.png (922x434, 60K)

>3950x and 2080 ti super overclocked on custom loops

Hey guys. Just build my first gaming comp. My CPU is running hot af, but I'm not sure if my Speccy readings are correct. Am I reading this correctly, are the AMD and Speccy reports coming up with different temps? I've changed the thermal paste from the stock on the heatsink, but the temp never changed. Any suggestions?

Attached: temps.png (1875x726, 400K)

>that pic
Oy vey...

speccy doesn't work with amd

Really.
Which do you think is most likely to be correct, the official tool or the abandonware?

Will I be able to run a 3900x with a MSI B450m Mortar? It'll be at stock only, no OC.

Maybe, with airflow on the VRM.

COPE

Honestly I was just asking a simple question. Never had problems with Speccy on my old comp. But again I'm reading that 90C on the right, of PTC, that's a fine temp there? 200F seems a bit toasty for a CPU.

PTC is just showing you the temp limit where it shuts down.

It's almost time guys, the waiting finally paid off. Say what you want about Intel, but the 2600k was a damn fine processor. This little guy lasted me years, bought it back in 2011 and it's still putting up a fight to this day. I haven't owned a AMD chip since the Athlon 64 days, looking forward to upgrading.

Attached: 456547568698.png (509x411, 23K)

So, since Navi turned out to be shit, will the 1660ti last me a couple years at 1080p?

Thank you bud I appreciate you!

Some weirdo wants to trade an i7 8700k for my 2500k, I don't know why, but it's a good deal I think.

What's a good motherboard to get?

had a 2600
how much I wish it had lasted a year more
memory wise you may be meme'd upon but yes, 5y ezpz

>memory wise you may be meme'd upon but yes, 5y ezpz
Not him but what if I only wanna play wow classic at 1440p 144hz, it should make it because toaster game right?