What is your opinion on running a graphics card off a 30A 12V LED power supply?

what is your opinion on running a graphics card off a 30A 12V LED power supply?

Attached: Capture.jpg (2579x1068, 326K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/p/N82E16817159141
newegg.com/thermaltake-smart-500w-ps-spd-0500npcwus-w/p/N82E16817153233
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bumping because I can't answer OP's question but would also like to know.

Bad idea.
Especially chinesium ones.

>Chink PSU
They're lying about the amps.

If you're okay with the chance your graphics card would get fried or your house burn down if you leave your computer running go ahead and report back

Just get a genuine meanwell through a reputation industrial supplier. Or even ebay outlets or whatever. You will need a DC to DC converter probably

you dumb nigger.
It's a bad idea as these things are designed for static load, while your gpu demands are fluctuating.

Sounds like a suicidal decision.

Find out how good they are. Or better yet, just get a cheap 80+ PSU from local used store or ebay. I doubt the chinese LED powersupply even meets 80+.

That doesn't really matter, they're switch mode power supplies.
They lack a lot of the protections PC PSUs have and are made extremely cheaply. It'd work, may even work for a long time, but it is a lottery hackjob.

Why would you do that? Those are normally used to show off LED strips and the like at stores here

>switch mode power supply
Knowing the chink, I wouldn't believe that.

They are, though.

you can compensate by getting a much bigger one than you need

Attached: Capture.jpg (1419x960, 70K)

and what stops you from buying a quality PSU like Seasonic? ~50 for 650WT bronze or ~70 for modular gold, that will handle everything you throw at it and work 10 years

Attached: 856r91846fLf4AM.jpg (930x734, 135K)

godspeed

Sorta, what they do is calculate the amps based on the power rating and voltage so 360W/12V = 30A, however the power supply is not 100% efficient and the power it delivers is lower than what it consumes.

why the fuck do you need to do that?

why do you want unknown protection power supply for $29 (30A 12V) when there cheap noname PSU
+12V@34A $23
newegg.com/p/N82E16817159141
Thermaltake Smart Series 500W +12V@35A $38
newegg.com/thermaltake-smart-500w-ps-spd-0500npcwus-w/p/N82E16817153233

>you can compensate by getting a much bigger one than you need
That'swhatshesaid. :^)

I run my monitor off a 24V version of one of those. It's some Apple display I got for 5 bucks. I wasn't going to pay any more for their proprietary (and apparently extremely unreliable) power brick.
So far not a single issue.

I was going to comment about the burst draw, higher load of a GPU vs Monitor.

But then I did anyways.

Just because a car and a truck both run on "fuel" from a gas station doesn't mean they can both take diesel or gasoline. Different needs. Your monitor though is probably fine, if it catches fire you did yourself a favor.

No, you're right. GPUs fluctuate quite a bit in terms of power draw. Maybe adding some bulk capacitance to the output of the supply could help, in the case the fluctuations throw the thing out of tolerance. But at that point, OP might just get a regular PSU, since huge caps are expensive.
>if it catches fire you did yourself a favor
The voltage regulation on the supply is surprisingly on-point, and it has less than 200mV peak to peak ripple. I'm really surprised with the quality of the thing. Of course, the chinesium caps will go bad sooner rather than later, but they can be replaced.

I was thinking about grabbing one for a SBC cluster but apparantly the grounds are dangerious and need to be modded beyond just splicing a 3 prong ground.

Dangerous
Also they are unstable because the chinese don't understand EE apparently.

>makes metal shielding
>floating ground

OOOOOOOF

That means you can get shocked from the metal and also if a surge happens it can't escape to ground.