Buy RX Vega 56

>buy RX Vega 56
>have to lock HBM memory at 800MHz all the time because otherwise it causes my computer to get a black screen while watching twitch and the only solution is to press the power button on the computer and do a hard reset

HBM memory technology is a fucking joke

community.amd.com/message/2911334?messageTarget=all&start=0&mode=comments

Attached: sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-56-pulse-6_6032417[1].jpg (1215x810, 134K)

>High Bandwidth Memory memory

werks on my radeon vii

You overclock HBM?

Motherfucker, this has been plaguing me ever since I got V64. Couldn't find any solutions or similar reports when i searched before, maybe used wrong keywords.
90% of the time it's firecucks causing it, and within that 90% of time is when I'm fucking around with uBO/uMatrix settings.
The remaining 10% overall is during doing desktop stuff, in Chrome but not only. Sometimes dragging icons of desktop causes it. Pretty much all 2D operations.
Also every time it happens, it causes all fans to spin like motherfucker at like 200%. I mean literally all fans, the GPU, CPU, PSU and fucking case fans.

>>have to lock HBM memory at 800MHz all the time because otherwise it causes my computer to get a black screen while watching twitch
Have you tried RMA?

>sapphire pulse
>there's a cardiogram reading on the backplate
>even the support bracket looks like pulse

What makes boomers think heartbeats are cool?

Why are gpu nowadays so cringe?

Attached: fellowkids.jpg (900x720, 87K)

are you kidding me?! I just bought a vega 64 nitro+ if this shit happens to me I don't know if I can resist the urge to off myself from making a bad purchase decision
430euros for something that constantly fucks me over?!

Setting memory state 1 as the minimum in wattman is the usual recommended fix. Or do you mean you have it locked to state 3?

If its the first, isn't 800 the stock clocks for a 56? You just lost the silicon lottery is all

vega is the only gpu I heard of that has factory defects like this

I know there's a model that will fail firestrike in default settings on air cooling, demanding undervolt to work

My 64 has this issue, its clearly a defect and relatively widespread, but not ubiquitous. I dont want to rma it though because the chip undervolts so well and im worried ill get a shit chip on the next card

no. Everything default in driver (DDU uninstalled in safe mode before swapping GPU cards etc even)

Just searching "RX vega black screen" into DuckDuckGo or Google yields A LOT of results. It really seems like it's a common issue.

I posted an URL in my OP post. Try locking your memory to your GPU specific number (some cards have different HBM2 memory clocks. Mine has 800 so I locked it to 800 and now HBM2 memory voltage stays the same and HBM2 doesn't fluctuate.

Yeah, Desktop GPU Vega seems like a messy clusterfuck. I have two computers with Ryzen+Vega APU and they are stable as fuck, never does black screen.

Could it be the driver downclocking the HBM memory too much?

that's why I only buy reference cards
I have a vega 64 and VII but have no issue

the fix is right there
why are you worried about extra energy consumption
you already got a amd

I have that issue as well. The issue seems to be on the motherboard side, where the PCI-E power delivery isn't as good as expected.

>Just searching "RX vega black screen" into DuckDuckGo or Google yields A LOT of results. It really seems like it's a common issue.
>
>I posted an URL in my OP post. Try locking your memory to your GPU specific number (some cards have different HBM2 memory clocks. Mine has 800 so I locked it to 800 and now HBM2 memory voltage stays the same and HBM2 doesn't fluctuate.
This is ridiculous, not only do you have to undervolt to make the power consumption sane.
But you now aparently have to lock in your HBM to a static clock, so it doesn't downclock and downvolt during idle, which ups the idle power consumption as well.

WHat the fuck did I buy?! And why the fuck did I find out about this AFTER I bought the thing.
I did plenty of research on the "performance" of the cards and what not, but this shit is new

>Could it be the driver downclocking the HBM memory too much?
asides possible memory chip poor lottery what seems to be happening is that the voltage does not follow memory speeds.

so you go on a rest position of 500mhz .6v to 945mhz 1.2v but the voltage gets stuck at .6v, wich fucks the memory

Reference cards can have the issue too, tard. Mine and many others do. There's no fix or even statement from amd as to whether its hardware or driver related

here
has sound theory

Here's my Wattman config. I'm pretty sure I right clicked the 3rd memory state and selected "use as minimum" (I'm noob on overclocking/underclocking, but my way seems to have worked)

default settings caused black screen when viewing twitch and required hard reset.

I have changed the following stuff in Wattman:
>power limit increased by 50%
>lock memory to my GPU specification (800MHz according to the specs on Sapphire website and on the product box)

Attached: 2019-06-13 08_47_40.jpg (3840x2160, 569K)

I hope you're right, im finally upgrading my 4690 for a ryzen 3. But my original mobo died and intels socket scams meant i had to pick some derelict shit on ebay to keep it going

That's Vega 56's default memory frequency. Nobody promised the card can do better.
Only cards with Samsung HBM can do better, Vega 56 is 99% Hynix.

How can you be this dumb?

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

You LITERALLY have faulty memory. RMA it.

for the 4th time?

it's design defect, or

I have several Vega GPUs too, surprisingly Sapphire, as I've never had a single problem with them.
This test size is too small to say anything.

You don't seem to understand the issue. You have to lock the HBM at 800MHz and prevent it from switching states to idle states. You can OC it, as long as you prevent state switching.

t. skimmed just the op and didnt bother reading anything so they could contribute nothing to the thread

RMA the card, it's that simple.

>as long as you prevent state switching.
impressive
it's a design defect, literally hardwired into the gpu

Vega cards are so power hungry that the PCI-E lane on cheaper or older mobos can't provide enough juice for it.

>tfw own Nitro+ 56
>tfw runs perfectly fine at 500 and up to 1100MHz
Feels good mang, RMA your card, faulty memory exists, it's not just HBM, remember Nvidia screen full of garbage?

Attached: 03_ARM13.jpg (1024x766, 120K)

It doesnt plague all vegas or even specific models so its not a design defect

and why hasn't fucking AMD fixed that in the YEARS this GPU has been out?

How does it work fine for other people then? Things are mass produced these days, we get faulty shit all the time, that's why warranty exists

the pulse and nitro cards from sapphire have smasung memory though.

AMD really can't, since this is up to GPU partners and the parts they use
AMD prefers Samsung, even for their Vega 56's, while partners cheap out

Funny thing is that I bought the RX Vega 64 Nitro+ and experienced the same thing. BUT I didn't know about the possible fix of locking HBM2 memory. So I returned it to the store and THEN I did heavy research and it seems like a widespread issue. So I was like "fuck it" and bought the Vega 56 Pulse a week later, hoping that it would be fine, but alas, it caused black screen rather quickly. I then locked the HBM memory to max specification default clocks and now it seems fine (I HOPE).

What do. Return to store and then buy RX 5700 (or possibly XT) on launch day? I don't care if only reference cards are available at launch because my computer is in another room so I can't hear blower style coolers at 2500RPM when my door is closed.

Fuck bros. the GPU power is really nice, but having to rely on software as a "fix" scares me. I don't think memory settings is going away from software, but still. I mean, you can lock memory in AMD Radeon Settings (Wattman) and also in MSI Afterburner and in Sapphire TriXX etc.

Attached: 1560251667214.jpg (594x325, 22K)

All 64s use samsung and they can get this problem too

You braindead?

Attached: file.png (934x521, 133K)

It's not really a design defect as much as a design oversight. It's assuming that the motherboard will accurately follow the state switching and adequately switch voltage for the PCI-E power. And with some motherboards, it won't. So really, it's more of an issue with poorly designed motherboards than with the actual card itself.

>I have a faulty card so an entire technology is a joke
Get dabbed on, retard. My reference Vega 64 was fully stable at 1100MHz on the HBM.

It's literally a lottery at this point, I haven't had a faulty AMD GPU since 6570 came out and I've had half a dozen

WHAT?! What vega is that?

Nitro+

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.21M)

OCing isnt the issue, read the thread or fuck off retard

SHIT, thats the card I bought.....and a big part of the reason I bought it is because I though it had guaranteed samsung memory

Nope, nobody ever guaranteed it has Samsung memory. Any card clocked at 800 stock has a hit or miss change being Hynix.
This was known the day it came out, plenty of people reported back (the Nitro+ that is).

The card that I replaced (RX 480 8GB) that I bought at launch (I think it was in summer 2016) has been stable 100%

and I have two Ryzen+Vega APU in my other computers and they have been 100% stable aswell.

~3 weeks until 5700 series launch. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Attached: 1559538799452.png (655x527, 349K)

please man you are making me want to kill myself, give me some good news, how do I cope

Pulse is a bad buy anyways, it's Sapphires lowest end
Even though Sapphire is still regarded as probably the best AMD card manufacturer

RAS Syndrome

You're not going to see much of a difference anyways, just UV and OC, even Hynix goes to 850 usually, but the limiting factor in the 56 isn't the memory bandwidth like on the 64, at least not as much, higher memory speeds don't give much better results, specially since the HBA runs hot as fuck anyways and the extra couple % isn't worth it

NIC Card

Vega 56 and used 1080 are best cards on market for price
go shill on reddit or somethin

OH FUCK, not only that, but apparently I ordered vega 64 nitro+ and not vega 64 nitro+ LIMITED EDITION
Whats the differences? Does it at least still have the vapor chamber?!
God why is everything going to so wrong

Return it, the 64 is a waste of money, the 56 is the sweet spot, otherwise might as well wait for 5700 XT
The vapor chamber is the only difference, on the 56 it doesn't matter, specially if you use liquid metal

>tfw bought a pulse 56
>tfw have Samsung hbm
>tfw can only get it up to 935mhz
>tfw running the card with 1632mhz core and voltage at 1.08v max wattage is 170.
Feels good and temps are at 50c, 55c, 62c 63c. That is core, memory, vrm, vrr.
With fans running at 35% speed.

The vega 64 Nitro+ NOT LIMITED EDITION shows this in it's specs
>Memory Clock 945 MHz, 1.89 Gbps effective
Does that mean it's actually not hynix and I actually get samsung for my troubles?

>I actually get samsung for my troubles?
yes

I have a Vega 64 Nitro+ Limited Edition and I've never had any of these specific issues.
Any black screens or flickering issues I've had since getting it,I've been able to trace back to the problem being my monitor itself, and I've already gotten a replacement monitor.

Fuck, I could get vega 56pulse for 295euros
Or veaga 64 nitro+ with no vapor chamber for 425euros.
I originally ordered it based on the fact it has a vapor chamber and guaranteed samsung, so the extra money was questionable but I guess worth it for me.
But it apparently turns out only limited editions have vapor chambers and that means partially the thing that made it more worth it is gone.
I kinda feel dumb, I kinda feel scammed.
I think I still have the option of getting pulse instead, but I am not sure how much the vapor chamber makes a difference.

These things are mass produced, there will be flaws, that's why you have RMA and warranty.
Let's not pretend we don't have faulty Intel/AMD CPUs or Nvidia GPUs too. It's actually "normal".

can you physically take a picture of the card with the power connectors?

What are you doing, I bought 8 months ago for 270 yuros and it's still in warranty. It is possible.
Either get a Vega 56 that's a Nitro, not a Pulse for sub 250 euros if you can find it or just wait for the 5700, if you're willing to pay over 400 euros for a AMD GPU, which actually makes sense this time around too.
Buy a Sapphire 5700 XT once they come out.

Even with a vapor chamber and Samsung HBM, the price difference in performance really isn't worth it. Less than 5% with a proper OC and UV on the Vega 56, which the Vega 64 can't match with it's OC and UV.

nitro and pulse are LITERALLY the same pcb
the same vrm's the same everything
the only thing that changes is a more aggressive fan profile and a better cooler

No. Nitro has Sapphires power delivery, two extra rails with VRMs. Pulse is pretty much reference.
Just look at them, Pulse PCB is HALF the size of the Nitro.

Pic related is a Nitro.
This is a Pulse: The cooler on the Nitro really is THAT much better too (more pipes, more copper, three fans, more fins, etc). Expect never exceeding 60C in a normal room, even with OC (but UV too), even without vapor chamber heatsink, while the card is still inaudible in a good case.

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 1.9M)

again user take a picture of your card showcasing your power connectors

that's not all though, Nitro also has two PWM 4-pin fan headers and gay RGB and apparently also thicker PCB
but sure, the main difference is power delivery and cooling, no idea how you'd ever think they are the same PCB

:The cooler on the Nitro really is THAT much better too (more pipes, more copper, three fans, more fins, etc). Expect never exceeding 60C in a normal room, even with OC (but UV too), even without vapor chamber heatsink, while the card is still inaudible in a good case.

How much does the lack of vapor chamber make a difference?
As mentioned hereI got the nitro+ for 425euros with the idea it has a vapor chamber.
Now I find out it doesnt have that and only the limited edition ones do.
Just how much cooling difference am I losing.
Should I just get a vega 56 pulse?

that is the nitro+ LIMITED eddition though.
You can easily tell by the fact is has 3 power pins.
The Nitro+ has 2 eight pins
The nitro+ LE has 3 eight pins.

>How much does the lack of vapor chamber make a difference?
None on the 56.
Slightly on the 64. Not enough to be worth the money though.

The 64 itself barely is. You get like 5-10% performance increase but 20% power usage increase over the 56, while costing usually 100 euros more.
Just change the paste for liquid metal and the main benefit from the vapor chamber (hotspot and average temps are always less than 10C apart), if you're inexperienced, don't do it though, you can fry the chip on some models.

Sorry, didn't read thread for awhile

I'm using separate connectors for each 8-pin port (not daisychaining one connector)

Attached: 2019-06-13 09.46.47.jpg (1500x1125, 542K)

Nitro+ Vega 64 both Limited Edition and normal have 3 eight pins.
The Nitro+ Vega 56 Limited Edition has 3 eight pins and the normal has 2 eight pins.

It was already confirmed that the power delivery on the Nitro+ is the same though, it's literally just a extra 8-pin, since the power delivery already handles more than two 8-pins are rated for.

The PCBs are literally the same except for the additional power connector between LE and normal.
Both still have better power delivery and other features over Pulse and definitely not the same PCB.

>Slightly on the 64. Not enough to be worth the money though.
You mean not worth getting the nitro+ not LE 64
over the vega 56 pulse?

>The 64 itself barely is. You get like 5-10% performance increase but 20% power usage increase over the 56, while costing usually 100 euros more.
Well as I said, the 100extra euros, was for the better cooling with pulse vs nitro+
And again if it had the vapor chamber, then I would have gotten it too. But without it I doubt the 100euro price hike for the cooling is worth it anymore.

So you suggest I get vega 56 and put liquid metal there instead?
Or that I still get the nitro+ and add liquid metal to that?
(I am a huge silence freak, and I like to run my fans at 1000-1200RPM for most of my stuff)

Personally I'd say get a 56 that's a Nitro+, doesn't have to be Limited Edition.
The Pulse you're talking about seems rather expensive for what it's worth, might as well buy a blower (I've seen blower 56's go for 190 euros now) and put on a aftermarket heatsink that's like 50 euros, still cheaper than the Pulse and better cooling, if you can't find a Nitro+.

If you're willing to pay anyways, might as well wait for the 5700's though or if you want to save, wait till the 5700's come out at least, the Vegas will drop in price also.

>Personally I'd say get a 56 that's a Nitro+
the vega 56 nitro+ costs 500 euros here, over the vega 64 nitro+ at 425euros

I recommend saving up and moving somewhere that's not retarded.

>hbm memory

>do research for months on end
>v56 seems like the perfect cards, can't find any significant issues
>figure if Vega is badly priced I'll just get a cheap v56
>to my luck, find a v56 pulse that is very well priced
>literally bought it yesterday
>mfw this thread
Is there any disadvantage to locking the memory to 800mhz?

Attached: 1540294306184.jpg (430x429, 42K)

Sounds like a faulty card. Return it and get a new one.

Well the biggest performance gains on Vega come from overclocking the memory, not the GPU core, 800 is kinda low (I have my V64 at 1140Mhz on the HBM). Default V56 HBM clock is 800, V64 is 945, but most can be overclocked a little bit, and Samsung HBM can overclock up to 1150 usually (instability occurs after 75 degrees celsius), so 1100 seems to be the sweet spot for stability and performance.

Attached: unknown.png (600x633, 80K)

>I recommend saving up and moving somewhere that's not retarded.
Look man, please give me advice that I can apply relatively soon, not overarching life goals.

Back to the issue, Given my two options are pulse for 295euros and nitro+ with no vapor chamber for 425euros.
What should I go for considering I value quiet card operation.
The last GPU I had, I could run the one 90mm fan maximum at 1800RPM, but eventually just rigged a 140mm fan on top of it which runs at 1000rpm and is silent.

For the price difference, I'd say the V56 is much better value.

Well I don't expect to win the HBM lottery anyway, so that doesn't seem like a worry to me. I'll probably just undervolt it but dont see the pint in OCing (the time wasted to test for stability for marginal performance gains isn't worth it).

Last thing to consider
current performance 75.2 100% for zero
vega 56 97.9 30.2% for 295 9.77euros per fps
vega 64 nitro 147.4 96% for 426 4.44euros per fps
Possible undervolt 106.56 for 426 4euros per fps

current performance 39.6-48.8 100% for zero
vega 56 53.9-69.6 36%-42% for 295 8.2-7.0 performance per euros
vega 64 nitro 64-106.4 62%-118% for 426 6.8-3.61performance per euros

Based on this as you can see if I factor in my current GPU base preformance and substract that. You can see that vega 64 in theory gives me more bang for my buck, because the initial 100-200euros essentially just pay for my current performance

Does this theoy work out, can I justify the vega 64 this way?
In that it costs more, but I also get more performance, and relative to the base perfromance and base cost, I actually get more bang for my buck the higher I go.

Or to put it simply, if I payed 200Euros for something that performs 5% better, I would pay 200 euros for 5% more performance and thus it's a huge waste comapred to something like
400euros for more 15-20% performance.
Do you get the idea?

In Vega when you undervolt you also overclock, because Vega comes with the stock voltage at the max setting (1.2V core and 1.3V HBM) and the boost clock at pretty much the silicon limit (1600 ish for V64, 1400 for V56) you can get a good V64 to 1700 core, and a good V56 can do just as much.
Vast majority of Vegas can do stock clocks at 1050 mV, and do so at much lower temp and power draw. HBM voltage can only be tweaked for the low state, full power state is always 1.3V.

Well I have a V64, if you are willing to do BIOS mod, you can bios mod your V56 to use V64 power so you can OC the HBM and core further.
If you have the money, V64 is a bit better, but if you want the best price/perf ratio the V56 is king, since the difference in performance between the two (at stock settings) isn't that big.
However, if you factor in overclocking, V64 goes further, if you are lucky MUCH further on HBM OC, which gives the biggest performance gains.
In my case, my V64 consistently beats the best 1080s in all but the most nvidia biased games like Ace Combat.

Attached: 980mV.png (1314x419, 51K)

DOES ANYBODY have any fucking data, on how much difference a Vapor Chamber makes a difference in terms of temperature and hotspots in vega 64 nitro+ LE and NON LE versions?
Or anything data on how much a vapor chamber makes a difference?

>tfw can only get it up to 935mhz
You need a V64 BIOS if you want to clock it over 950-1000mhz

Mine is stable at 945-950mhz (56 BIOS)

So is there any info if the Vega 64 nitro+ non LE version has Samsung memory or hynix?
The specs list the memory clock at
>945 MHz
on their own site and some others, so whats the likelyhood it's just overclocked hynix memory instead of samsung?

Right so what you’re saying is I should undervolt&overclock, unless I lose the lottery and suffer OPs problem in which case just lock memory and stay at default.

>bought a ref 56 with samsung memory for 180€
>planned to slap an aftermarket heatsink on it since I already have the big three
>it's in the mail
>read this
bugger

Works fine on my machine :)

Attached: 0rYV6rB.png (1232x392, 107K)

Also my memory is Hynix

RIP in peace
RAM memory

>buy card with retarded BIOS from idiotic company
>complain that the manufacturer of a single component on the board is a bad one and it affects every single product
You are so smart. Keep buying Sapphire.

>Nitro+ Vega 64 both Limited Edition and normal have 3 eight pins.
Incorrect.
Pic related is a non LE nitro+ 64 vega

Attached: vega 64 nitro+ not LE.jpg (853x480, 72K)

Attached: 2019-06-13 12_10_59.jpg (669x847, 104K)

wrong thread I'm an idiot

My Vega 64 runs just fine with HBM at 1070Mhz