Why isn't there a car PC building scene?

Why isn't there a car PC building scene?

Attached: 9-2-new-cop-car-3.jpg (620x349, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69189
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because you haven't started it up yet silly duck

There sort of was, but then ARM devices took over, and car head units started getting more complex, so a lot of people gave up the hobby.

I want something like this, but with a built in monitor and a slide out keyboard.
babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69189

There used to be and some great forums too but then smartphones happened

Cheap 2DIN android head units from China (for like $70) killed those.

I have CF-31 Panasonic like pic in my car but it lives in the trunk connected to 12V charger, when I need it I just take it out.

Also had 10" Panasonic android tablet with ram mount in 4x4 for navigation back when phones had tiny screens.

I recently started playing around with CAN bus in my car using a beaglebone now that my car warranty is up. CAN bus is standard used in cars for communication between ECUs, sensors, and stuff.

There is a CAN bus python library and I have been able to read some messages. There is some community of CAN bus sniffers so it is not hard to get started. I imagine there is potential for some interesting car hacking especially with the advent of self-driving cars.

My goal is to have a small display with wireframe of my car showing the 'real-time' %power delivered to each wheel for awd as a colour gradient.

Smart(Things) happened.

Attached: HUUUUUUUUUGE.jpg (5319x3390, 3.04M)

There's already an android app that does that for my Subaru. It's called ActiveOBD. My phone is a dash mount does everything I need.

>Airbag encrusts the manufacturer's logo into your skull
>Not just automatic, it has a fucking knob
>CD player despite having a 32" tablet head unit
>Pinstriping everywhere
>Piano key controls, as if it was a Motorola radio from the '50s
This shit is so American it makes me want to throw up

Idk OP but I'd be a prime candidate for it.

I have a couple embedded linux devices to handle OBD, boost, radio, music, and a isolated LAN with a SIM uplink as a mobile base when I'm doing business on site.

Next I'm rerouting my steeringwheel hardware buttons to remap them to the embedded devices.
I have lots of switches to control interior and exterior lights, added switch to bypass efan or enable it, replaced all interior lights even behind dash with LEDs.

I also need to print a bezel to place a screen for OSMand or a smiliar offline map for Linux.
In the future I'll probably add wardriving, a HAM radio, secondary battery bank from trunk, USB ports and a wireless charging panel under the cup holder, and possibly wire a inverter straight to the battery and run it behind the seat.

Attached: 6r140-transmission-diesel.jpg (474x296, 22K)

I don't think my car has a single computer in it.

Attached: 1_chdPIRe.jpg (640x480, 36K)

My dad and brother made fun of me for buying a 220 wall outlet converter for the 12 volt socket so i can charge my pc
Now i just use a tablet, way more lightweight

r8

Attached: IMG_20130606_105634_611_zpscdd1ff22.jpg (3264x1840, 1.17M)

>This shit is so American it makes me want to throw up
good

You only need to have a laptop in the car for your ECU programming

anything else, music, media, maps. You just use your phone

Attached: 1275421562946925893.jpg (1600x900, 101K)

I know a guy who installed windows xp on his entertainment system

because you need to focus on the road while driving you american retard

I thought it would be cool to drive around with a UPS wired up to charge while the engine is on, and a Cisco ISR with a server module and WiFi and 4G EHWIC
I'm not sure of the practical purpose of doing so though.

ngl i kinda wanna get my dash cam and my thinkpad working together somehow so i could video chat w/ people while going places, my work consists of driving for hours on end so it'd be comfy

you've been able to jack a laptop into the OBD/CANBUS system on most cars for a very long time. While FnF1 visually stylized a laptop as the ECU, it was totally possible to have "on-the-fly" (you have to consider turning the car off and on again to be on the fly) fuel map profiles back in the 90s.

If you mean why most people dont build PCs into the glove box? The fuck you gonna do play Doom while youre driving?

Or you could just use your phone for video chat

how would i mount that like a dashcam tho vro

Buy a mount that doesn't cover the back camera.
I've seen twitch streamers do dashcam-like streams before, it's absolutely possible.

Literally just a tablet with Skype or some shit dude, or an Android double DIN head unit that can install normal apps with a usb camera, if you really want to be autistic.

Why do you need an entire computer for that?

>kinda wanna get my dash cam and my thinkpad working together somehow so i could video chat w/ people while going places,
There must be easier ways to kill oneself

gotta do it the hard way faggot

Car tuner dudebros aren't into tech that isn't normie

all of this, about 15 years ago I used to lurk mp3car.com

I have that same tripod