Do you fix your family's / relatives' stuff Jow Forums?

I used to but I've decided to stop. They are so ungrateful it's unbelievable but they still want me to be their free tech support.

Attached: 2019-06-09-111621_1005x142_scrot.png (1005x142, 22K)

I meet them once a year so no.

Yeah I do. Most of the time they actually need help. And they are grateful

They often pay me because I always do it with a smile on my face.
Stop being socially awkward.

this
best thing to do is tell them to do something completely different than the way their used to doing it and drive your selling points straight into the ground. If they use Windows or Mac go on a 20 minute tirade about free software and spying. Make exaggerated claims about open source, make exaggerated claims about their technology. Look at them as though they simply have not heard about sliced bread and be extra anal retentive about it. They'll stop asking you for help, and they'll probably stop talking to you altogether. Problem solved.

Holy shit, that "1" looks horrendous. Fix your fonts!

Not him, but idk. I kinda like that "am I having a stroke?" vibe they give off.

They won't understand ANYTHING and will probably think that I'm insane / stupid. They don't know how to open a Windows Explorer, all they know is that Linux and everything OSS is "stupid and bad" because some guy that fixed their computer once told them so.

Switching to Linux was the best thing I ever did, since you can just say "I haven't used Windows in years, I don't know any more than you can find on google"

sounds about right, what's the problem again?

I worked in a support, we do not "fix" computers if it is not to get the lost data. Clean install and replace parts

I don't get "to the bottom" of some problem. Just clean install. Secure possibly lost data. Replace factory parts that give up. Then trash.

I do it normally from two to two years
>LTSC Windows 10
>Install all crapware that normies uses (MPC-HC/Office/AdobeReader/Utorrent/Chrome/etc)
>Configure a user account (If they can't install adware they can't fuck up the system)
>Install ublock and disable updates on Windows
From them on it's just to clean dusty parts or to configure a new router or printer
Never had any problem and still get some bucks

I do.
I have them switched over to all AMD and running Linux now.

Haven't had to do shit since I can choose all their peripherals I don't have to worry about kernel modules anymore.

Everything is hard wired, Intel NICs on x470 so no realtek/broadcom blobs, no nvidia blobs.

If any of their rigs break the parts are identical too.
I haven't had to deal with anything in 5 months.
Matter of fact I should probably setup a update for them all.

Before I had a issue every 2 weeks, no lie.
Between Nvidia, windows updates, user error, bad hardware choices it was a basically a constant maze of troubleshooting.

We're talking 6 people here btw.

Used to. But I'm adamant about not doing that anymore. Not touching Windows. If they want to run that shit it's their own problem.

Fuck, im laughing

I build my family's computers and help them fix their shit.
Only my mom is a dumb boomer that can't use computers so she's the only one that really needs help.
Building a gaming PC with my little brother for him was really fun and got him into computers, I still occasionally help him with overclocking and maintenance.

Got no friends/old family members that use computers and need my help so I don't mind.

Attached: 1398282776598.jpg (348x342, 37K)

I'm always a rude asshole about it, so people have an incentive to figure out shit themselves. Works sometimes, but not always.
They still come to me when they want to buy new shit, and it's always dumb shit like laptops and printers.

Attached: hang.jpg (596x1055, 145K)

>OP's image
>"I don't know how to fix TVs, sorry."
Was that so hard? If they're rude to you, just ignore them like the dogshit they are.

>free tech support
If you play the bitch game you win bitch prizes. Ask for money and quit being so fucking whiny.

Are americans really like this? They ask for money to help their own family members?

Sorry, I forgot that being cucked is more of a non-western thing and you're all royalty-worshpping bitches who would rather whine about their problems rather than ask for a small amount of compensation for your time. That doesn't have to be money. Why not ask them for help in return? But no, OP would rather rant about his problems like a child rather than handle it like an adult. Your shallow thinking suggests to me that you're just like him. That's quite pathetic.

I help my family in every way i can because my parents have sacrificed everything for me unlike selfish boomer Americans and i would rather kill my self than be rude to my mom over a fucking computer.

No retard, I helped my brother build his PC and I'd gladly do it again. My parents aren't self absorbed boomers, they gave me everything I have and helping them out with small things is the least I can do, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Not everyone is a mentally ill americuck with burger parents that kick you out of the house once you turn 18 or charge you rent if you stay.

>Sorry, I forgot that being cucked is more of a non-western thing
You mean "non-burger" thing?

>christmas
>father in law gets new router
>here, user, you're good with this stuff
>person who bought it for him got it on deep discount
>woefully out of date
>spend the next few hours on call with bangladore, still can't figure it out

My mother in law being a cheap bitch saved me from having to deal with her for most of the day. Praise the maker, I've never had to play tech support with them again.

asking for money isn't a greedy thing about wanting money, you typically ask for a trivial amount anyway. The point is to give them a barrier to entry so they'll think twice about just passing their minor problem onto you if they think they could fix it by spending 5 minutes with a youtube tutorial

>in school I was a dumbass and used to talk about games a lot of time
>When I grew up realized that it was a waste of time but people will always remember me as that kid who used to play a lot