What kind of external hard drive do you use?

what kind of external hard drive do you use?

Attached: Gly4RrZKdqQhRRi5HBwFkQ-3d-3d.jpg (1039x529, 54K)

a nonexistent one

RN I have 4TB WD External Drive. Looking forward to external SSDs once their price falls

2.5" 160GB 7200 RPM Seagate in a cheapo USB 3.0 aluminum enclosure. Also, a 3.5" 2TB WD green in a Vantec eSATA/USB enclosure, as a backup destination for my NAS.

2TB WD Elements

are these any good?

Attached: 510mN7vvGzL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 12K)

Unless you're just cloning drives or pulling something, then ditching the drive, it's worth it to buy a small enclosure. Even if you're cloning, i'd recommend a dock over those.

where can I buy this? I have 1TB wd green lying around since 2014.

A Seagate Backup Plus. It's fine.

Those only work on 2.5" drives, fyi.

shit
thanks for the info

Whatever I have left from old laptops. Currently I have like 4 laying around that I barely use anymore.

My days of digital hoarder are long gone.

none because externals use refurbished drives. that's why often they're even cheaper than internals.

It's worth it to spend $20 - $25 on an enclosure for a drive with that capacity just laying around unused. Also, that adapter (previously pictured) can't supply enough power for the 3.5" drives. Since it's one piece, you can't even plug the drive into a power supply and still use the SATA interface.

I've heard they sell ones with 2 USB chords for power and data as well. I need to look into it.

Mostly as a backupper, sometimes also as sort of a usb stick because I don't have a thumbdrive that's big enough for some things.

Attached: 817iyXUKc2L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 90K)

an old 10MB scsi drive, actually 3 of them
I dont store any data on them though
they vibrate so much I just plug them into the power supply,
drop my pats and sit on them
until I achieve maximum bonkon
and then I fap

*pants

8-TB bare drive in a case

Amazon had a pricing error, got this for half price. In actuality, the red plastic is Chinatown-shitty-toy-tier bright red trash.

I heard these pieces of shit fail all the time. But half price is too good to pass up.

Attached: wd my passport 4tb.jpg (2500x2500, 534K)

Yeah, you're asking for trouble with those. They do sell some that have a power port, to plug into a wall adapter, when needed (pic related). You wouldn't need the external power when using a 2.5" drive.

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (329x388, 25K)

It will work with 3.5" drive with power supply. Any external 3.5" drive require power anyway. This is m_o_d_u_l_a_r system.

Attached: 576a5be4af1e33.25173531.jpg (700x530, 76K)

buffalo 1TB & transcend 1TB

They work if the adapter doesn't block the power port on the HD. The laptop drive adapters are molded as one piece, so unless it's designed as it won't work with 3.5" drives.

Oh yeah. You are right.

I have 2 8TB drives I use as backup, but they're just regular drives I keep safe in HDD storage cases and only plug into a USB3 docking station when I run a backup. Other than that I have a 500GB SSD in a Zalman-rebrand of an iodd 2531, this one I use to mount ISOs and virtual USB drives as well as general-purpose storage for a few games which I sometimes play on my tablet.

A seagate one as it was the cheapest on the day at the MediaMarkt

I got an external m2 drive with a 1tb Sata ssd in it.
Fuck mechanical shit

Yes, I too enjoy the possibility of data loss because I failed to plug in my drive for a yearly charge.

Are you an idiot(yes)
I guess this is how the OP plans to bump his thread huh. Be being an idiot

I have a Western Digital Elements Desktop 5 TB along with two Samsung T5 2 TB.

A normal hard drive with a sata to usb.

Any usb powered 2.5" good ones to use as storage and usb sticks? >1t preferably.

I have a usb to ide/sata and it kinda sucks ass

i have this chink USB SSD stick

Attached: DSC_0006.jpg (3920x2204, 1.68M)

Some ORICO enclosure with a 500gb drive I pulled out of a ps4

I use a NAS I built nearly a decade ago and have added more space to as needed. It's up to 12 TB right now.

I use the one in your pic, Toshiba 4tib.
It's nice and small

*tips*

The only time I ever make external drives is when I happen to have spare laptop drives or SSD's lying around. My main external is a spare Samsung 850 EVO 250GB I had sitting around. Great for fast bulk transfers. Then I also have a 320GB WD Blue from an ancient thinkpad that died on me.

Have a server with 28TB in it currently.

/thread

Some random 2.5" 4TB drive I grabbed of the shelf because my old one started to have errors.

Pretty much this fucker but in black.

If you pickup an SSD in 2029 I say go with the Samsung SSD ones

Attached: 2TB_1TB_Compact+and+light.jpg (708x739, 47K)

or build your own, that's better

No, they're garbage Chinkshit and half of them I bought didn't work straight out of the package; the other half work but the cases fell apart
My Sabrent and Ugreen adapters work great tho