Was he right, Jow Forums?

>in every user interface study we’ve ever done […], [we found] it’s pretty easy to learn how to use these things ‘til you hit the file system and then the learning curve goes vertical. So you ask yourself, why is the file system the face of the OS? Wouldn’t it be better if there was a better way to find stuff?

>Now, e-mail, there’s always been a better way to find stuff. You don’t keep your e-mail on your file system, right? The app manages it. And that was the breakthrough, as an example, in iTunes. You don’t keep your music in the file system, that would be crazy. You keep it in this app that knows about music and knows how to find things in lots of different ways. Same with photos: we’ve got an app that knows all about photos. And these apps manage their own file storage. […]

>And eventually, the file system management is just gonna be an app for pros and consumers aren’t gonna need to use it.

youtube.com/watch?v=xES5-qDv-4Q

Attached: 1541332067501.png (780x611, 214K)

He’s right, I use spotlight all the time

keep your users dumb as a rock and let them pay extra for apps. can't say he wasn't a good business man.

I'm actually curious how IOS works with adding music files to your phone without using itunes. Can you even do it?

Explains why all Apple users are brain dead troglodytes. Imagine being so fucking stupid you don't understand how to use a filing cabinet. Even on the lowest end of the pay scale, there's still a massive divide between McBurger flippers, and office clerks.

Attached: 1532140436690.png (512x512, 111K)

You either buy it from iTunes Store or use any other music service app from the App Store. As to non music audio files you had to use some downloader app from App Store because before iOS13 safari just played the file instead of downloading it

>makes Finder the face of Mac OS
>everything is STILL in folders and files
>the ONLY difference between it and Windows is that it hides the drive root so you can only see your own user folder

Attached: 1531842105782.jpg (1920x1080, 176K)

>2019
>filing cabinet

boomer detected

Attached: boomer.jpg (480x360, 27K)

But like how do you get them onto the device?
With my android, I just have the torrents on my desktop go to a usb drive. and in the morning, I'll pop the drive out and take it with me. I'll connect the drive to the phone with an otg cable and just copy the folder over

t. McBurger flipping wagecuck that's never worked in a real job ever

Attached: 1535529733018.jpg (800x2500, 845K)

He was right in that the good old file system wasn't optimal for things like mail, photos and music. But its still better for documents and I think they realized it because now they are bringing it to iOS

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1545810615109.gif (540x540, 279K)

Oh no I meant you download them to your iPhone directly from your iPhone. If you really want to trasfer them throught a computer then you have to use iTunes and send them through USB or WIFI but you cannot use usb drives for that

stfu boomer. go masturbate to some unix rice u dusty old fuck.
Steve Jobs, was right and ahead of his time. File systems are categorically terrible, a picture can have a .mp3 extension, files can be called anything and placed anywhere without restrictions, making it impossible to remember were you saved it or what you called it. Even tags are not implemented in most OSes

lmao

> never worked a real job
imagine having to suck cuck to make a living.
Now imagine putting in the extra elbow grease and being proud of this

I guess it was too hard to change an existing OS and they implemented this system when making iOS instead

>You don’t keep your music in the file system, that would be crazy.

Attached: 1555037088997.png (1068x1568, 545K)

This
How retarded do you need to be to not understand file cabinets?

He was way ahead of his time.

Only procringelords care that much about muh filesystem

He's a fucking cunt
Anyone who has ever had to deal with the filesystem or tagging that itunes creates understands why. and as operating systems and interfaces are becoming less heirarchical and more search-oriented, you can see the consequence: developers don't bother organizing user interfaces anymore. the only way you can find anything now is searching. and if you don't know an option is there, you'll never find out.

Well yeah he is completely right. It still boggles my mind that we don't have a working DBFS in 1997+22. Just give me a fucking hierarchical file system with inbuilt consistent tagging god fucking damn it.

>it hides the drive root so you can only see your own user folder
Sadly windows is also infected with this cancer now. Symlinks are fucking garbage.

Really? There is no file system browser on iphones? At least a filesystem ist consistent where every app tends to implement stuff in its own shitty way.

The single biggest barrier to true domination of iphones.

>Linux is the nigger of the UNIX world

Attached: image.jpg (1181x787, 212K)

this makes me sick.
how in the hell can they sleep at night promoting this kind of ignorance and gatekeeping?
how can you hold your users in such contempt?

fuck off you bootlicking fuck.
people need to have control over the tools they work with.

>how can you hold your users in such contempt?
If you ever had the displeasure to interact with the average user for longer than five minutes you would understand that he is a) right and b) completely justified in thinking people are all retarded cause by and large as soon as people use any sort of computer, tablet or phone all brain they might have had gets flushed down the toilet.

thats not the point though.
hes creating a tollbooth to access your own files.

if you can't conceptualize the idea of files and folders, you might be retarded
that said there's no reason to not have both options

>one pixel changes in the icon
>boomers no longer know how to get to the phone, pictures, and internet apps

REEEEE
Apple user. This is what annoys me with their OS.
To access photos from the photos app in the file manager I have to right click the "Photos Library" and click "Show Package Content".
I want to organize picture, and a "photos" app to just show them and edit them.

Well so what? For the average user that is just what they need and deserve. A system so locked down even a brain dead person could use it. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be alternatives but seriously he is completely justified in his hatred for users.

This. This is the fucking reason and it doesn't just apply to actual fucking boomers. Boomer really just is a state of mind by now and god damn it do I hate 20 and 40 year old boomers throwing away their brain when they have to use any computer at all.

>can't uninstall system files
Bloat

He was right, but replacing the filesystem with "nope, sorry, you can't do that" is just retarded. Just like with headphone jacks, you have to invent a replacement that's actually better before people will be happy to ditch the old tech.

>it’s pretty easy to learn how to use these things ‘til you hit the file system and then the learning curve goes vertical
That's a lie though. Everything else makes sense, though it's not like he invented executables, did he? The way he bullshits the media is impressive.

In a way, unironically yes. The file system is terrible at managing most files that users need. It’s when you switch from a folder based file management to an app/tags based file management that you begin to understand the problem with file systems. Folders are fine for when you have a few files. But when you have to manage thousands then apps or tags become a lot better.

god i wish that were me

If you are cute I will pat your head.

even if you arent cute id pat your head

I second this. As a Mac user, not being able to consider the phone as an USB storage key sometimes when I need it is the only reason that is still preventing me from buying an iPhone. And this, despite all my tech friends told me about how great sync between the Mac and the phone is, and how smooth iOS is compared to Android, etc.

So IMHO keeping in mind the phone is yet another form of file storage device is what keeps Android better. It's the thing that makes iOS such a "closed system".

>makes the most aberrant file manager
>learning curve is vertical
Geeeeee I wonder why

I agree with the man to an extent. Modern filesystems suck. I believe the next gen OS will use content addressable object storage indexed by tags. For data that is truly hierarchical you can represent that with a taxonomy of tags. (i.e every hand gun is a firearm, but not every firearm is a hand gun.) Applications that want to manage their own storage can just call into the object store directly. Deduplication, O(1) lookup, data integrity verification all free as a function of storing objects by their digest.

Hierarchical filesystems were a fucking mistake, the office metaphor needs to die. We've worked around it with hacks like background indexing and full text search, but tags allow for truly flexible organization. Think about how a library is organized: the heap are content addressable (dewey decimal) but the organizational system is tagged pointers into that heap by way of multiple catalogs. How you store the data and how you retrieve data should be separated, it provides multiple paths to discover the data. Furthermore tags are great for search, they compose neatly with set operators.

I disagree that every application should invent their own organizational system, though. That's just a nightmare that walls you into a software vendors ecosystem. Freedom demands portable data, not application silos.

First, you're replacing something simple with something complex. This rarely ends well.

Second, just to raise the obvious objection, sooner or later you're going to wind up with stuff that's not tagged, or tagged incorrectly, or a user that remembers what they're looking for but not what tag they used for that type of thing, etc. If you're dependent on searching in that situation, and searching is dependent on tags, then you're fucked. You have no way to find things in an amorphous soup of data.

the thing is normie apple users are almost always clueless about this stuff, they can't even figure out how to move the pictures from their phone onto their computer. so not only does it fuck over experienced users, it doesn't even accomplish the original goal.

How is is an argument against filesystems? Just add tagging on top so you can have both.

He's right that most dipshits are too stupid to effectively use a computer yes.

>Think about how a library is organized: the heap are content addressable (dewey decimal) but the organizational system is tagged pointers into that heap by way of multiple catalogs
In your analogy the library still uses a heirarchical filesystem though. And it's extremely practical.

> boomers defending bad designs just because they are used to them
what's new?

Attached: BlameBoomersRuinFuturePhoto_2.jpg (320x213, 6K)