Why do video game developers suck so much at programming?

Why do video game developers suck so much at programming?

Attached: 1560447648090.jpg (1056x1200, 248K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive-media-1.nyafuu.org/vp/image/1544/38/1544384586323.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Why do american video game developers suck so much at programming?
FTFY

Gamefreak is a Japanese company.

American programmers at Japanese company.

GameFreak in particular has always been terrible at programming. Gen 2 was able to fit in Kanto because they were suddenly had more free space after cutting out all the garbage code.

>gamefreak
>american
kek
gamefreak is a nip company thats been "veteran" status for over a couple of decades now

That last bit is how Halo 1 and 2 were. The later games are probably similar. Each map contains copies of whatever gun, npc, vehicle, etc is needed.

If you've seen any credits scene it's mostly Japanese people and a couple westerners in charge of translating/design.

gamefreak is japs

Because game code is a throw away code. Nobody cares how bad is it written if it works. Nobody need to maintain this code. Speed of writing code is the only valuable metric. If adding models into every scene is faster than write complicated resource manager, then it is better

why

incompetence
they accidentally hit a golden goose back in the day and never improved

>Because game code is a throw away code.
Wrooong. Future-proofing/re-using code for future remakes/re-hashes is a thing.

Japanese-Americans

No idea. As someone else mentioned, it was probably just easier with how the designed the engine.

its easier to copy and paste the guns than writing a code to teleport the guns

I'm pretty sure that encription-decription scheme is used in order to avoid cheating in competitive environments?

>Why do suck cocks
FTFY

No, you dumb fuck. That's misinformation. Iwata-san helped GF out with Gen 2. He compressed it in such a way, we got Kanto and more content to play through because of him.

Obsessed and seethingpilled

t. American

I'm pretty sure he compressed it by unfucking shit like the OP.

>t. discord tranny

>USA baaaaaad
>Nihon gooooood

Cause they're code slaves
A job in gamedev is barely above fast food

Please be a troll and not an actual retard

> "I think it's basically like this:"
> "and i'm no coder"
what a waste of a fucking thread for cancer vomited up by computer illiterates.

The japanese are worthless and 2 nukes weren't enough

>code a feature you need into the game
>it works
>performance doesn't suck
>it fits on the cart
>that feature is done
that's the mindset of many game devs, not just japanese. they don't care about the code efficiency, security or whatever else that a professional software developer does.

these games are made with no intention of remaking or massive code reuse

every gen is built on new hardware, with almost entirely new mechanics

eAch console gets 2 gens so yeah they reuse their software a fair amount.

>don't care about the code efficiency
>that a professional software developer does
It has been my experience that gamedevs are more about code efficiency and regular software devs care more about readability and maintainability. But that's just my experience.

When you're already working 80 hours a week and have a deadline you cut corners.

Engine code gets reused. Game logic does not. The industry reflects this, Unreal has a reasonable codebase, 99.9% of games made with unreal have shit code.

they only care so far as the
>performance doesn't suck
goes. if it's not hurting the framerate, who gives a shit how it's coded?

it's to reduce load times via eliminating optical disc seeking for assets
loading a single contiguous level file with every asset vs loading the geometry, seeking to the textures you need, seeking to the models and animations you need, seeking to the sounds, etc

Japs are pretty terrible at coding too

Brush your teeth.

Game programmers get paid much worse, so games get written by worse programmers. Some really talented ones stay behind because of passion, but most of the talented ones go on to companies that actually pay them. It's quite sad, but one of the best bets to make money in game programming is joining a company that mostly does other stuff, e.g. Microsoft, since they usually have the same salary ranges across the whole company.

Drakan the ancient gates (PS2) had entire game content copied for every language.

Attached: 15578577709871.jpg (604x587, 67K)

Yeah but it did tank the framerate in 3ds Pokemon games though.

>Why do yuropoors constantly try to take jabs at America when it usually ends up with them looking stupid?
Ftfy

>>it fits on the cart
Pokémon games are some of the biggest in the whole 3DS library.
I'm sure they do mind paying a pretty penny for higher capacity carts.

>the last retard who doesn't realize it's a memory oriented programming technique

The models have been the same since XY, they went through the effort of future-proofing those things so they didn't need to make new ones every gen and they're still downscaling them for the switch games

This is the same company that made and programmed in over 100 separate models of Lillie

I had the priveledge to attend a university in Japan in a computer science degree. No one knew how to program, or use a computer even. Most students just fucked around instead of study. Exams were all open book, and multiple answers. Companies hires a student based on ranking of their university. So if you graduated Tokyo University, Nintendo would hire you instantly. You only have to learn to program when you are handed the assingment to do so, at the company you are working at during your paid training (you are given the time to learn whatever language or skill is required) So most likely these 'programmers' are untalented shit heads, nothing like the hackers you'll find around silicon valley.

archive-media-1.nyafuu.org/vp/image/1544/38/1544384586323.jpg

Just gonna leave this here

even before that i think they used some on the black white 3ds app

Everyone sucks at programming, it is just that game developers have a horde of autists ready to datamine and expose everything.

At first I was suspicious you were full of shit, and then you ended your post by calling Nintendo programmers untalented shit heads and then praised silicon valley programmers for being leet hackers.
It was at this point my suspicions were confirmed.

Attached: file.png (1804x213, 343K)

What did he mean by that?

Attached: 1544384586323 - Copy.jpg (1191x3149, 631K)

>people still do this when 75% of the board is a billboard paid for by gaming hardware companies

Basically they don't understand how hacking works. "Lets put five layers of defense on the game in a retarded way that makes it so people only have to get past one of those layers to do whatever the fuck they want."
That's my real basic understanding of it at least

>paid
You sure about that

kek at this autistic shenanigan

I don't think they factored in the sheer autism of the fanbase, not that anything can counter that.

Attached: AndYetPKHexExists.png (1000x722, 540K)

Are they calling a function that receives as parameters multiple cryptography functions?

>competitive pokemon
didnt't know this existed and i played pokemon until emerald what the fuck

Attached: 1499358916331.png (536x428, 144K)

This is likely intentional - if your available storage is X GB, there's no advantage to going far under the limit. They likely insert extra copies of models to reduce loading times.

lol no, you can still that. also competitive pokemon is boeing. dont waste your time

Do you have any more info on this? I work with crypto & find this pretty interesting

This makes sense, but for a cartridge game? Gamefreak just suck dick.

What's the Nip's opinion of GF? Are they admitting they dropped the ball pretty hard?

Attached: 1557991710648.jpg (884x902, 295K)

pokemon sun and moon is refered to as daikusoge which means big shit game. same for lets go

>pokemon sun and moon is refered to as daikusoge which means big shit game
WHY??? It improved on Gen 6 in almost every way. If anything should be shit on it's Gen 6. S/M not only looked better but it made a lot of genuine changes to the game that made it not just another rehash.

Sw/Sh is literally just Gen 7 but up scaled and also there's a gimmick wild area to distract people from the fact that the entire game in a hallway again.

well yeah, for a cartridge game it's not just retarded but the complete opposite of what you should be doing

I'm sure golden shit looks better than normal shit too until you start noticing that the former is starting to ferment inside and lose its original form, just like what's happening to Pokemon. Sword and Shield is just the removing of the case and opening the normies' eyes to Game Freak's true colors

Probably some weird attempt at DRM because I remember them doing something similar to thwart flashcards back in the DS era.

Not to mention that shiny Pokémon are based on their secretID.

Attached: Screenshot_20190613-205027_Trebuchet.png (1385x929, 119K)

>Sw/Sh
we have literally not played it yet.

How would you possibly enjoy sm? it was literally "cow goes moo" tier hand holding. no exploration at all. the ball has simply been dropped since the 3ds was released. well except the 3ds apps, not the games though.also did you mean to say gen 7 should be shat on?
Whatever, gen 4 and 5 was imo peak pokemon, and gen1 was also gosly. gen 2 and 3 were ok.

They used C++ for this right?

this
everyone knows Swedes are the best videogame programmers

Nigger, a trainer's "SecretID" is just a hidden seed, not some super secret conspiracy.

t. Linus Torvalds

>not wanting to create and program over 100 separate models of best girl
ISHYGDDT

>we have literally not played it yet
The whole fucking criticism is it looks like every single other Pokemon game and we have actual gameplay footage now to confirm this. They said this game would be different, and it isn't. A single area with full camera control and wandering Pokemon doesn't excuse that the animations convey the absolute minimum movement possible and that literally every other area will be Gen 7 style hallways.
>How would you possibly enjoy sm?
I never said I enjoyed it, I said it improved on Gen 6 which it objectively did. Full 3D movement, HMs gutted entirely so you can have a battle-focused team, graphics are a full level above Gen 6, and like the transition from Gen 4 to 5 everything just feels faster and more original. It's also on the 3DS, compared to other major 3DS games it's hard for even the biggest autist to complain about technical shortcomings without looking at the code itself like the OP did.
> did you mean to say gen 7 should be shat on?
Don't know how your brain commanded you to type that so...
>Whatever, gen 4 and 5 was imo peak pokemon
This is why I should read entire posts first. If you like Gen 4 you can suck on a massive fucking dick. Gen 4 is what Gen 8 is going to be, the same shit but adapted on new hardware with little though or passion. It won't be until Gen 9 that Game Freak innovates again like they did with Gen 5 and actually try to make their game run and feel like it's a major budget product by a multi-billion corporation.

TL;DR Yes Gen 7 wasn't perfect, but Game Freak actually tried to fix Gen 6's problems in it. Gen 8 footage has only confirmed everyone's fears, that it's an upscaled 3DS game.

Attached: Mike.jpg (4800x6046, 3.26M)

>Swedes are
Swedes were
They are extinct

I don’t care what anyone says. Sword and Shield is one of the biggest achievements in gaming history. I’ve been gaming since kindergarten. And there has never been a time where I went from uncontrollably hyped for a game to completely disinterested and indifferent to it within 5 minutes. Until now! What an achievement Masuda and Ohmori have made. I’m honored to be alive to witness it. Three cheers for GameFreak!

Tone it down a little and the bait will be perfect

>it's hard for even the biggest autist to complain about technical shortcomings
Nigga, the game drops frames faster than ActiBlizzard's stock when there's more than two pokemon on the screen and everybody saw this. At least play the games before shitposting

Yeah that's a problem but Gen 6 has a much worse issue where the fucking normal battles had stuttering frame rate. They "fixed" it in Gen 7 by turning off 3D entirely and not focusing on double battles during the story.

Also, one fault does not a bad game make. By the same logic BotW isn't even worth playing since is fluctuates between 20 and 30 FPS constantly.

Can you please take it fucking easy?

Calling people that is taking things too far even for here. We can't even extract lulz from it, there is none.

Fucking stop calling people Discord users.

There are tons of Pokemon emulators so you can play against people online with legit combinations of pokemon of your choice without having to raise and train them, and a bunch of strategies. Check out Smogon and Bulbapedia. I actually really enjoy the competitive scene.

This is too complicated for Jow Forums

>To reduce load times
>On a flash cartridge
Sounds like it's you that it's too complicated for, mate

This. I could get paid $60k/year to work 60 stressful hours a week at a game dev company and get laid off once the game is released. Or I could get paid $200k/year to chill out at a FAGMAN company for 40 hours a week where I'm allowed to take naps and get free snacks and booze.

What do you think I'm gonna choose?

I hope Nintendo cracks down on gamefreak for fucking up their otherwise near perfect conference and fixing things up, hopefully by mixing in some new blood especially among their incompetent code monkeys. One of the biggest cashcows is losing sales because gamefreak has been dropping the ball again and again, this time even the normies are noticing

How can there be lag in pokemon? It's a fucking turn-based game. They already know the maximum number of objects that will be interacting and it's not high.

There's lag because Game Freak. There was a point when the 800 Pokemon thing worked as an excuse but we're learning it's just inept coding.

That's a poorly managed company issue I think.
Not a programming issue.

It's like they're trying to keep the code hidden so people don't pirate it. I would expect that with pokemon games having pirated several of them.
That's 00's tier mentality though.

Pure incompetence, even Bethesda pales in comparison

It's not inept code, it's a product of their manufacturing process.

It's a feature to slow down the action so autistic people will be able to process it

Z80 ASM for GBC and under, C++ on an ARM platform for everything else.

>crit hits were based off speed
I always thought this as a kid though. Is that not how it's meant to be?

>they were suddenly had
Alright ESL friend, I think your time's up for today. Come back when you learn some proper grammar, faggot.

Attached: maxgun.png (393x398, 197K)

Shouldn't that be more efficient than some languages?

>ground texture
They likely have duplicate ground textures because they want to be able to swap the texture graphic freely. They want to say area_one_location->background_texture without having to modify code. Sometimes the texture in a level will be the default one, sometimes it won't be.

>first class in CS taught us not to reuse data
Data is reuse all over the place in production code, for good reasons and bad. Databases are frequently denormalized for instance, writes are made more expensive because it helps make reads cheaper.

Not saying they didn't fuck up but those specific things aren't inherently bad.

>RBY
They forgot one of the most glaring bugs which was that Psychic was immune to Ghost attack when it should have been weak.