Is this book a Jow Forums meme or is it really worth it reading it in 2019?

Is this book a Jow Forums meme or is it really worth it reading it in 2019?

Attached: download.jpg (600x445, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

htdp.org/
emacswiki.org/emacs/LearnEmacsLisp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

Learning the language isn't terribly useful, but learning the algorithms and the thought process will make you a better programmer. It fills in a lot of gaps in your knowledge of algorithms and theory that you don't really deal with if you learn JS/Java/Python/etc.

outdated piece of crap

I second , reading this during on my own time while studying cs at uni and it taught me more in 50 pages than this entire year of classes combined.

Knowledge doesn't age.

>Is this book a Jow Forums meme?
No, it's a book

It's comfy practice into basic functional programming. Do it to practice solving interesting problems, as it will sharpen your intuition rather than impart directly practical skills.
Why is it a piece of crap? Outdated is sort of a misnomer because lisp wasn't even popular back then, to their admission. They chose it for its simplicity and ease to teach people how to make their own shit from scratch. So why do you call it outdated? If your reasons are language specific, then I can easily dismiss your answer.
Sussman did mention that software engineering isn't the same, but this book is to teach basic design principles and start on the side of theory CS, which has little to do with that type of design anyway.

Literally meme material. As a book it is junk.

Attached: Suigintou_Smug_SICP.jpg (600x600, 108K)

Again, look atIf you focus on the "purely practical" then you're going about it wrongly. It's important to consume books about solving hard problems, as it helps cultivate ways to think, period. Would you deny honing your reasoning skills?

You're asking a board that doesn't want to answer This is a brainlet board

Both honestly.

There are better books about algorithms.
SICP is outdated. It wasn't even recommended lecture at my university.

Attached: Isla_Angry_Holding_SICP.jpg (1440x810, 392K)

I skimmed through a version that replaced lisp with javascript and I think it's good at teaching how to think about programming.

Yes, it's a meme. HtdP is literally the same thing but better, people just don't care because it doesn't have ebig anime girl edits
htdp.org/

the professor is a jew

its a meme that you should read and then spam here

no its really good - read it.

old bad new gud

>It wasn't even recommended lecture at my university

have an independent thought you snowflake, uni wont hold your hand through your whole life

the number of university courses based on SICP (and AIMA) are 20+ with different languages have been used. HtDP is another classic.

Why are you asking on a low IQ frogposting chink image board?

brainlet

this is the book about programming as a discipline where generalized techniques are explained using a decent language with almost no syntax (pure ASTs).

but, of course, one needs some brains to grasp this, which 99% of slavs like you does not have.

Only good thing about this old piece of shit is the cover.
Books is completely outdated and a waste of time.

retards, retards everywhere.

Company's co founder and chief architect seem to think so

Yes, it's good. Don't listen to the cryptoCniles ITT.

Jup it is a great book. Htdp is similar, but a bit easier on the math.

It's a good book to read, but not very practical outside your own projects.

kys nigger

is How to Design Programs just as good as SICP?

Too math and low level programming oriented. Probably useful to read like 20 years ago lol but definitely not now.

What should I know before diving in?

It's a good book. It remodels your intuition about programming. It's made me a better programmer

Who hurt you, anti-slavposter?
t. Slav who has read SICP

Attached: 1545794204343.jpg (768x1024, 720K)

Really?
But in order to follow it, I would have to pick up some lisp, I guess?
And i don’t want to bother picking up another language, before I’m well above “stackoverflow is my codriver!” Retard level with python.

Nothing. But if you don't know shit about programming, you better look for other book as your first book. The book is good but not a god first book.

I was rubbed by slavs once

I basically don't know shit about programming. I'm starting pic related then moving on to Sedgewicks Algorithms 4e.

Attached: babyFirst.jpg (397x499, 39K)

This

knowledge ages.

It's a meme.

>my university
Universities and their alumni have been shit for a long time, so that's not saying much.

Jesus christ how many of these do you have?

>hardcover
Where the fuck did you get that, I've been looking for ages but they only publish flimsy paperback editions everywhere

I found the pic on google. I don't own a physical copy of the book but apparently the hardcover version is cheaper on amazon.

>implying knowledge is a living organism

Who start their career with JS/Java/Python?
Lmao . When I was 10 I knew I would start with C or at least C++.

Easy. Languages exist that are not C or C + +. And there are applications and programs that are written in those languages.

>new $140
Fug

I've started using emacs purely for org-mode and want to learn enough Lisp to customise my setup to my liking. Would reading SICP be overkill?

Most people.

Yes. In fact, the dialect of Lisp used in SICP (Scheme) is, superficially, quite different from Emacs Lisp.

The book doesn't focus on the language any more than it needs to in order to demonstrate CS concepts. When it was written, I think the authors knew Lisp wasn't going to be a language that people would develop serious code in. But it is good for studying computer science at a high level.

Attached: mika sicp.png (760x540, 514K)

>mfw I was the last year uni tough scheme as first language and course was about recursive programming got 95.5/100,
>next years was python.

Scheme is really interesting but the parenthesis system can be annoying if not enough attention is payed

>lives in America
>doesn't take advantage of everything costing next to nothing second hand

First of all I don't live in America. It's £80 where I live, a lot cheaper but still more than 2.5 times more expensive than the £30 or whatever paperback.
Second of all I don't want some greasy secondhand book.

>Second of all I don't want some greasy secondhand book.

I hate zoomers

Should I read SICP? I don't know anything about programming but I know a lot about mathematics and want to learn low level shit.

You would love it, I'm sure

It's overrated. I would recommend TAOCP instead. It's much better from an algorithms point of view and doesn't waste your time with something like scheme.

Google ELisp and read about it. SICP isn't going to teach you Emacs.

Yes it's good, this book followed by HTDP that mentioned is how I learned programming. The fundamentals come first, the language acquisition comes after.

TAOCP uses an even less relevant language and is a fucking monolithic book.

Mate I'm in the UK aswell. Second hand books like these are almost always good because they're almost always books a student has sold back to a distributor after not using the book at all because they spent their time at uni getting drunk. SICP wasn't expensive for me though I think mine cost me like £15 on Amazon

Being poor sucks, I know. Staying poor is a matter of attitude. Unfuck yourself.

They're good books. But SICP, HTDP and CLRS are better. But you don't need to buy them. Sedgewick and Wayne's books are very good also.

I'm not poor precisely because I don't spend £80 on essentially display piece books.

HTDP is focused more on the development of programs. SICP is focused more on concepts of computer science. Doing both is a good base.

HTDP isn't the same thing though

Bbuuuut how will people know that you're a man of culture and knowledge?

Baby steps for me, I'm a mathlet right now. Would HTDP be good after Sedgwick's Algorithms?

HTDP is less math heavy than Sedgewick's Algorithms my dude. It's all about the construction of programs.

By the way if you want to improve your maths get KA Stroud's Engineering Mathematics.

Put it this way: college algebra kicked my ass. I downloaded a copy of Discrete Mathematics by Levin and found it enjoyable.

Attached: filterSalesmanTalksToPothead.png (500x444, 85K)

Yeah trust me KA Stroud Engineering Mathematics it's intended to bring your maths up to a college level. Step by step walkthroughs of most maths topics. Concrete Mathematics is also good

From what I could see on the Amazon preview it looks promising. Thank you user! Most mathematics texts just seem very verbose and spend more time dancing around an explanation rather than getting to the point.

Computer science (at this level lol) is mostly shit like
>"2*2 is 4 because processor is multiplication and in the tree we see this point reffers to this and thats why the answer is ...."
I guess its find for 300 pages, especially since its printed in XXL font and really takes no time to read
Just read it, will take a week tops (i read it in about 4 toilet sessions)

Yes it's the best maths book I've ever bought. I had shit maths teachers all through school. Stroud's books basically let me self-teach maths.

I did better doing an online math course than I did going to brick-and-mortar school. So I'm always on the hunt for good self teaching materials.

wtf I hate trigonometry now.

Currently staring at volume 1-4 on my shelf. Haven't made it past page 30 of volume 1. Going to kms soon because I'm such a fucking brainlet I can't understand Knuth. Help me Jow Forums bros.

Attached: 1552690531436.jpg (960x953, 54K)

Also doubled down and bough some books from J. Conway. Really going to kms now.

> t. surreal numbers

Attached: 1558488370026.jpg (475x469, 37K)

I love the work of Knuth and own a hardcopy of Concrete Mathematics, but TaoCP is a special beast. I have seen bloggers advise going through it from start to end, but I think its best used as a work of reference and occasional honing of ones algorithm analysis skills.

It would. Go through emacswiki.org/emacs/LearnEmacsLisp instead.

wtf thank you user, this is book rocks

there's nothing stopping you from reading both but htdp only exists to be a more practical introduction