Why are we still using this mess of a system for front panel connectors...

Why are we still using this mess of a system for front panel connectors? It seems like we've been stuck on these for twenty years.

Can't manufacturers just turn it into a single cable with a single header like they did with everything else? Is there an electrical reason behind it?

Attached: 091E308A-A65F-4958-ACA8-9C65095440BA.jpg (295x171, 9K)

Legacy bloat I guess. Case manufacturers want to comply with existing standards on older mainboards and mainboard manufacturers want to comply with old standard for existing cases. Since it's a shitty low margins industry, no one can take the risk to drop this cancer.

The easiest way to get around this is to just create an adapter that plugs into a custom port on certain motherboards, and also keep the old connectors. It's either adopted or it isn't. It would be piss easy to just try it and charge one cent for other board manufacturers to license it, sort of like how HDMI licenses their form factor.

I like having them separate personally because some cases have blinding power/HDD leds, so I don't plug them in.

Their plug in order is listed right on the mobo and if not it's always listed in the mobo manual. Takes like 30 seconds for a one-time-never-think-about-it-again plug in but I guess that's too much work

Same here. I just use the ones for the power and reset switches and the LEDs can fuck off. It's pretty obvious the system is on without them. And HDD LED is completely useless.

Legacy and modularity.
Some people don't want leds for example.
Some cases don't have a reset button(Odd i know)
You can mod a modular connectors. Add another power button easily, repurpose the reset button for some other shit.

One gives you options, the other is a very minor QoL improvment that requires more work.

Also these exist.

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (614x559, 30K)

why are we complaining about an open standard that even a 12 year old can figure out that you have to connect like once every upgrade

Just like last year there are still mobos with PCI slots being launched and sold, serial ports etc. Legacy support is a thing and it takes decades to dump those things.

>friends case
>power button is broken
>connect reset button to power sw
>now turn on the PC with the reset button

He probably installed everything else and let this for the last thing instead of plugin them before seat the motherboard in the case.

How this thing it's called?

Tbh I don't know. These are usualy bundled in more premium boards.
The one I posted is Gigabyte's G Connector.
Asus had Q Connector afaik. The rest no idea.

>Why are we still using this mess of a system for front panel connectors? It seems like we've been stuck on these for twenty years.
I'd say pins with these connectors are actually still pretty good at doing what they need to do.

If you combined these into a more complex single connector, what would you gain?

And do you REALLY want to make all BIOS/mainboard makers (they always sucked) program the option to disable your beeping speaker or blinking HDD LED into software now that you can no longer simply unplug the cable? It doesn't seem like it'd be a big improvement in any way.

ASUS is based and has been using their own quick connector for over a decade now.

They also made it the same standard pins instead of making some stupid proprietary connector.
This allows easy modding for adding switches, external LEDS, ect.

Attached: asus-front-headers.jpg (620x340, 56K)

>knowing when your drive is being read from and not just cache ram data is uselss

Hello /v/tard.

people use anything other than the power sw?

How do you even get /v/tard from that?

Attached: 1556241806582.jpg (645x729, 51K)

>have gigacore infinity thread cpus with a gazillion hertz gpu that is more powerful than 1960s NASA
>Still have this shitty plug design
>anons like this faggot defend it

This is why we havent been to mars

Modularity is literally one of the best arguments to defend any piece of tech ever.

Attached: 52.jpg (1080x1077, 69K)

>I/O panel plugs are 2hard guises!!
The absolute state of this board.

Why not buy a prebuilt computer then if you think plugging in some cables is too much work?

We all do it every time we upgrade/build. You aren't impressing anyone by defending annoying design.

The motherboard and the case are the last things you upgrade, how often do you change it? Twice a year? Even so it's hardly more effort.
The current plugs provides great modularity with complete universal compability, both of which are rare in the tech world these days.

I actually find it quite nice since it's pretty easy to connect custom stuff to them. Like making custom hd LEDs.

Motherboards should come with gpios

It's ok design, I like being able to turn off LED.