How outdated is the nintendo switch tech-wise in 2019?

how outdated is the nintendo switch tech-wise in 2019?
are there much better mobile devices price/performance wise compared to it?

Attached: akrales_171025_2091_0010.0.jpg (1200x800, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6DjCedCZYT8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#History
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 1518866279834.gif (800x371, 125K)

do you see a phone with a tegra 2 chip or better in it and a fan to keep it cool? active fan cooled phones are relatively new now and they all use regular snapdragon gpus

Given alternative cooling a 2019 flagship could run circles around the switch.

yeah enjoy playing the shitfest that are mobile """""games"""""" on your better hardware phone

It's as outdated as 2015 mobile hardware manufactured on 20nm can be, and it's held back by its low memory bandwidth more than anything else.

lol that's such a funny picture

It has the best cuckoldry processing engine. Onions units are somehow outdated, but overall it is still good. There are no alternatives if you are nu-male.

>Yeah because you can play f*coking DOOM '16 on Switch right?

Without the dock, it's probably far slower than most flagships and iPhones are faster than with the dock, despite the active cooling.

But given how phones get shitty touch games there is still no real alternative.

Gentleman, how do we fix this chip?

Attached: nvidia-x1-intro[1].jpg (800x533, 399K)

It is. The iphone xs can run fortnite at a fairly stable 60 fps at more than 720p while the switch barely holds 30 with a lower resolution.

stupid niggers nobody cares about the switches perfomance. If you wan't to have Performance buy a PC.

Why isn't The Witcher 3 on mobile?

TBQH if they adjust the combat it could easy work. Good luck selling mobile version for 60 bucks though.

consoles are about games, kiddo, not specs.

It's already pretty decent as is. All it really needs is to be manufactured on a smaller process to remove the need for active cooling or push clocks higher, and a wider memory bus with faster memory, so games don't have to resort to obscenely low resolutions, like said.

to be fair it runs at full clockspeed in the shield tv, the Switch's even smaller space and battery are what forces them to underclock it so severely.

OS and API overhead, which can be quite dramatic, especially on android, with irregular frame pacing and stuttering on top of already low performance. These are reduced a whole lot on IOS thanks to metal and other specific optimizations, so i could see tw3 running on an ipad with visuals comparable to the switch version, only at a higher resolution. For more insight into os and api overhead in mobile games watch this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=6DjCedCZYT8

very
however, the quality of games is extremely high, and the performance is good when it's docked

Yeah, i could totally see an upgraded switch with the processor on a smaller node reaching these clocks without compromising thermals or battery life. Even mild overclocking through homebrew on the current switch, with the cpu at 1.2GHz and the GPU at 460MHz in mobile mode has made games like doom or wolf2, which both employ dynamic resolution scaling, run with a tighter lock on 30fps and a higher average resolution closer to native.

Yeah, nobody buys Switch because of its specs. Nintendo just makes (arguably) great 1st party games.

How outdated is a Tegra tablet in 2019? It's not bleeding edge, but still has some juice, so it's OK.
> are there much better mobile devices price/performance wise compared to it?
Ought to be, Nintendo never sells at loss. However, since Switch is made for games, you may find better hardware, but you won't find much games for it.

The Nvidia Shield launched in 2015. It has the same Tegra X1 chip. That's how outdated it is.

>how outdated is the nintendo switch tech-wise in 2019?
about 4 years
>In March 2015, Nvidia announced the Tegra X1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#History

How did Nintendo become associated with soibois?

Attached: 1_85.jpg (1280x657, 43K)

Attached: numale.webm (1280x720, 241K)

Clever Sony marketing. The switch is actually based, and I hate faggots and commies

Can you play nuDoom on a smartphone or tablet?

Current flagships would be about a match for it. Although drivers for phones are still awful. People really underestimate the gap between mobile GPUs and actual, conventional gpus from AMD and nvidia

It's less relevant now considering that the switch is getting lewder and lewder content, while Sony are rejecting games that show any skin.
Wish I could find the webm of the guy covering his eyes because from a girl in a bikini.

I don't remember exactly but the guy was covering his eyes because of a minigame in Yakuza 0. But yeah, the soiboi thing isn't exactly "Nintendo". It's more associated to overgrown children who buy actual toys and respect women to the point they're worthless. The switch is considered often a toy because of it being a handheld and getting many releases from Nintendo (which is supposedly more family friendly), even though it's getting plenty of third party releases that are not exactly family friendly. Also a machine that plenty of people call "a port machine" while ignoring the portability aspect.

Can it run a GNU/Linux desktop

you missed the point of my post entirely, i was saying the switch is more about the quality of its games than just hardware

Your switch has a plastic 720p screen... What quality are you going to experience on that?

Who cares about performance? Games works great, I don't give a fuck about graphics, I care if the game is well done and enjoyable, and all Nintendo console give me that feelings. If you care about graphics, you don't buy Nintendo, you buy a pc. If your are a gayman, you buy a ps4/xbox to play with your teenage boys.

CPU wise it's ok
GPU wise it's still good

High end specs outperform it on paper but

They don't have fans so they get hot very fast and have to throttle down

They also have to run the Operating system and other apps in the background which takes a considerable amount of performance

as far as games goes, graphics wise, you won't see many titles having better graphics than the switch yet because developers have to account for all the differente CPU's and GPU's as well as Android/iOS versions, so you lose some performance to achieve stability/modularity

meanwhile on the switch developers design with only one hardware configuration so they get the best out of it

Just use the Tegra x2. Literally 50% faster at the same power or about as fast at half the power. A tegra x3 with Turing or Ampere on 7nm would probably blow the shit out of any phone GPUs. Too bad nintendo doesn't haev the money for that kind of fun

>CPU wise it's ok
>GPU wise it's still good
CPU wise is probably where's it's weakest. The CPU is pretty underclocked. I mean the GPU is too, but at the time that maxwell GPU was a monster and even underclocked it was excellent and still is to some degree despite competing with current gen 7nm gpus

Isn't there some rumors about mini and pro versiin of switch coming out? But knowing Nintendi they will probably price it like $250 and $450 for no reason.

The Wii could so I'm sure the Switch could, assuming a compatable distro exists.

It's not particularly 'outdated'. It's a respectable amount of performance for the physical profile, price point and intended use cases. Could you make a more powerful piece of hardware? Of course. Could you do it at the same price point? Possibly. But then you'd probably start running into other issues. Battery life, form factor, cooling, all kinds of things. That's not to say that there couldn't be an improved Switch revision or something, but I wouldn't characterize it as outdated in terms of the overall package.

No, there really nothing more powerful than the switch for $300 in a portable. Which is pretty shitty and retarded. We were supposed to have exponential increases in portable, low wattage computing and graphical power but it never happened.

Any Snapdragon 835 phone beats the switch and you can get them for $200

The iPad's A12 is probably a good contender. Much more powerful CPU, probably more powerful GPU vs. an undocked Switch. You can get the ipad for like $250 right now

>price/performance

Unmatched.

games that are actually fun

Yes

Oh right, the new one. So yeah, two years later it's beaten in terms of performance.

I honestly wish Nintendo teamed up with Apple for the next switch. They have the best SoCs on the market.

The xs also costs 5x the price of a switch, retard, and you can't even use controllers

>how outdated is the switch?
it isn't
>are there much better alternatives?
no

99% of games that are made for the switch are shit

tegrax2 was already out for awhile when the switch was released the switch is a toy thanks to yuzus progress i wont ever have to buy one

>teamed up with Apple
The system will cost $699.99, the controllers $199.99 each side and the dock $249.99
All sold separately.

It has 8 cores in the usual big little config but they only use 4.

Apple is perfectly capable of releasing a sub $300 product as demonstrated in this exact conversation, silly

It is as fast as you can do with the available mobile tech.
The RAM is the main bottleneck in the system, only giving it 25GB/s due only being able to use two memory chips.
And the GPU is a full blown DirectX12/Open GL 4.5 chip that can do every single feature found on a modern video chip other than raytracing.
All the other available alternatives are made around the OpenGL ES3.0 that is crippled around the level of DirectX10/OpenGL 3.3

Does that sub-$300 product contain the hardware relevant to this discussion and is it meant to be that price, or is that the result of clearing stock/overproduction/other potential reasons? You're not wrong but it's important to consider things from all angles.

It really is impressive the difference that the Switch's newer APIs have made for hardware that's otherwise in the PS360 ballpark. Says a lot about the importance of creating things that're smarter in how they use their resources as much as just plain having more of them.

compared to 100% of mobile games

In raw performance yes. However even if the Tegra sucks from a specs point of view, it still obliterates all competition on a drivers perspective.

The biggest problem ARM SoCs have is bad drivers. The Dolphin devs have made multiple blog posts on how bad drivers are and the only manufacturer with good drivers is Nvidia at this time. If you run the Dolphin emulator at any SoC outside of Nvidia's you get inaccurately rendered frames with things like black screens, weird effects, no effects or other glitches. For this reason alone Nvidia was the best and only choice for a gaming device with an ARM chip. And I'm saying that while I despise Nvidia.

However I can see Samsung getting some decent Exynos SoCs out since they licensed the RDNA uarch from AMD for their SoCs. Since RDNA will be used on multiple platforms and AMD wants their GPUs to improve there are going to be good drivers which Samsung can make use of. If Nintendo were to make a Switch with an Exynos with RDNA (which they won't but I'm describing a what if scenario) it would have the same uarch and drivers for the gpu as the PS5 and next Xbox are getting, that would mean that devs could port their titles by only tuning the graphics down, porting their code to ARM where needed and compiling the port.

A Snapdragon would be a bad choice for the Switch.

Actually the phones can't.
The reason is the same reason why nintendo got their tegra chips for so cheap.
All the mobile GPUs are designed around the OpenES 3.0, that is a spec similar (but a bit crippled) to Open GL 3.2, because it is what the software use.
Switch on the other hand use basically a Geforce 730 that got low power shit shoved in until it reached a sane power consumption, which means it has all the features of Open GL 4.5, and can abuse em to increase the performance and/or visual fidelity of the games.

OGL 4.5/Vulkan features do allow you to cheat a lot to get more performance.
Texture libraries, multithreaded access to the graphical api, tesselation (a LOT more useful on the switch than on PS4/Xbox one because it saves memory bandwidth)...

>2016 underclocked hardware
Pretty crap

But...you can...

Considering even buying this shit once mario maker 2 is out, never owned a console but emulation of wiiu is a pain in mm1

>In raw performance yes.
Only against an undocked switch and if the phone doesn't throttle, which it will after like 30 seconds.

>@ 710MHz: 727.04 FP16 GFLOPs, 11.36 GTexels/s and 8.52 GPixels/s
>@ 670MHz: 686.08 FP16 GFLOPs, 10.72 GTexels/s and 8.04 GPixels/s

That's HALF precision. Sneaky business man. So about 350GFlops SP. Kinda weak desu. The switch GPU when docked boosts up to 920Mhz or around 471Gflops

The Snapdragon 855 is up to par with around 900Gflops of half precision. So it took a 7nm cutting edge mobile processor in 2019 to finally match the Switch's GPU. And you know that the phone is going to throttle immediately.

Infantilism marketing, they show that you can be as happy as you were a boy if you buy this product. Sony pushes the Nintendo criticism in Resetera and then back to here. They are both products for kids anyways

It runs at the speed the mobile chip would run constantly instead of delivering small boosts of performance you get from a device designed for facebook accessing.

Raw unthrottled to play Geometry Dash!

Also it will be stalled to hell by any sort of state change because no texture libraries or multithreaded graphical api access.

it was outdated on release since the tegra x2 was already out you switch drones need to go back to /v/ stupid toddler

If it’s so underpowered then why can’t I play Skyrim on my 6T?

>fp16
it's shit bro. outdated
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

>>fp16
That's how phone SoCs report numbers, it's definitely not typical and they're doing it to trump up numbers. That's the Snapdragon 835's GPU in case the chain of replies wasn't clear.

Except it throttles after 30 seconds

You can't call a chip that does a lot of features the others on the same category don't "outdated".
if anything, all the chips are outdated if compared to the tegra x1 as they're around the DirectX 10 level of features instead of the full blown DX12.

Tablets usually handle the heat better because they at least partially pipe heat to the metal back. And a tablet has a much bigger area to absorb and dissipate the heat. The A12 is only a mobile phone SoC after all. Not like the big A12x

The lack of modern GPU features and and single thread access to the graphical API will most likely make the switch defeat it.
It do feature a multithreaded API in Metal, but Metal is also limited to the Open GL ES 2.0 features, that are worse than DirectX9/Open GL 2.0, missing CRITICAL features such as floating point textures and vertex texture access.

>Metal is also limited to the Open GL ES 2.0 features, that are worse than DirectX9/Open GL 2.0,

Then how did they port Rise of the Tomb Raider to macOS using Metal?
>worse than dx9
>doubt

a lot of mobile games are free or like 1 or 2 dollars. you have to pay 40-60 dollars for shit switch games

so 90 seconds

Well, to be a bit honest here, most of those features are "optional", and probably present because apple control the hardware and software.
But on android, ES2.0 is literally worse than DX9.

The latest snapdragon is way faster.

CPU wise yes, GPU wise, you will lose a lot of performance halting the rendering to switch textures, while the switch can swap em via the shader itself.

id rather pay for something good than eat up the unplayable microtransaction mobile shit they "sell"

>halting the rendering to switch textures, while the switch can swap em via the shader itself.
What?

it's about 4 years old SoC

Texture libraries, it's a feature only present on GPUs with DirectX11/Open GL 4 and up.
On ES3.0/OGL3.3/DirectX10, you have to setup the textures that will be used on the rendering via CPU Draw Calls, then start rendering, then stop, then change the textures again then resume rendering etc etc etc..

But on DX11/OGL4.0/Vulkan etc.. you can just create a texture library with all the textures that will be used for the rendering, and the shader code itself can freely pick the textures from the library, dramatically reducing the number of draw calls.

I'm now wondering if we might see a Switch 2 with a samsung SoC.

It will take a while, unless someone invents some sort of really low power, high speed cache that can actually make up for the really slow memory bandwidth.

Nintendo is dedicated to the switch AMD they use a custom OS. Really doubt they'll move off nvidia any time soon

if you think any original switch games are good then you are a delusional retard

It was obsolete the moment it was released, just like Wii and WiiU before it.

>the switch is outdated

Attached: 1543568610982.png (633x900, 140K)

They are better than the mobile games, but that's a very low bar that even the colecovision can leap over.

Memory overclocks help performance immensely and are completely stable (as are GPU and CPU overclocks). Nintendo left a TONNE of performance on the table, especially in portable mode. Not sure if battery life or hardware longevity was their main reason for doing so. I doubt it was yeilds since the Switch was on a mature process even at launch.

They're better than any of the generic "walky shooty in the woods" cookie cutter movie games on the PS4.

Attached: 1529698252837.webm (1280x720, 2.74M)

>how outdated is the nintendo switch tech-wise in 2019?
They use an underclocked Tegra X1 soc with 4GB of ram.
There is a possibility that had they waited for Tegra X2 they could have had an overall more efficient system.
>are there much better mobile devices price/performance wise compared to it?
idk because i dont follow phones.
Though i do know more expensive phones have definitely more ram.
Also I heard Samsung is gonna partner with AMD and bring radeon graphics to their next devices

As always blame reddit for always having to agree to agree to popular opinion because of the upvote system.
And people on twitter.

Attached: 646.jpg (598x733, 58K)