/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1560517582172.png (1127x1024, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/#org8524ff7
discord.gg/sAJNxGG
audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2012/guix.ogv
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/release.nix
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
github.com/ison5002/guix-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sry have no need as I have already a dualboot installed on my laptop linux x86_64 Ubuntu kernel version 4.15.1 OpenBox DE and Windows 10 Home edition x86_64 (is almost never used)

guix = gnu brand
brand = commerce
commerce = capitalism
capitalism /= gnu
waaaaat

Attached: 1533527160968.jpg (761x960, 178K)

That's a cute doggo.

You should get rid of Windows.

Why does GNU allow brainlets in its ranks?
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/#org8524ff7

Attached: nixos_anime_shugh.png (499x550, 222K)

this logo looks like a vagina

Have sex.

Attached: 1560519907294.jpg (1647x2240, 1.21M)

>installs GNU nix
>Still runs nix and uses nix expressions to function

Attached: nix_pkgs.png (1052x1342, 862K)

Guix is written by people who exclusively masterbate to animals so there is no way for them to have known.

Attached: GUIX.png (1127x1024, 421K)

perhaps the work of an outsider?

>go to nix website
>see this
>close tab

Attached: 1560521084319.png (1280x608, 71K)

>vagina
>uterus
I know most of Jow Forums is autistic incels that haven't seen female genitalia in real life, but this is basic biology, user.

My PC is getting stuck at "creating ramdisk" when booting. It hangs half the time, and boots half the time? Is my ram bad? I have a cheap SSD in there as well.

The reproductive organs of all mammals look pretty much the same.

As you can see on the diagram The uterus is merely a part of the female genitalia much like the puss is.

average Jow Forumsnu user.

kek

KEK

Asked earlier but
Is it really not possible to have pixel-precise scrolling in Linux? I just want a Python script to scroll a window a tiny certain amount. Everything just seems to be "one step" or "1 scroll"

Does Guix have USE flags yet?
I'm jumping ship immediately once it does.

install gentoo

Free software projects are becoming too welcoming.

Newcomers are writing patches without asking if it's okay. IRC chats are becoming Discord groups, full of emojis and "fun". And when people make feature requests without contributing code, and you rightfully tell them to go fuck themselves, you're declared "toxic" and banned.

How can we go back to the good old days? How can we stop these zoomers from invading free software?

Attached: popuko_die.png (517x480, 164K)

>Gay Unix Intense eXperience

Dunno if it's best to ask this here or in the stupid questions thread. I installed linux mint on my laptop (not dual boot) and when I start up my laptop it opens the grub menu before going to linux. How do I get it to go straight to linux?

>How can we stop these zoomers from invading free software?
Gas the tykes

Unironically not the fault of zoomers but millenials

lol

Fuck off.

what

Still waiting 'till someone will make good, properly maintained non-free repository for guix.

Attached: your_waifu_isnt_real.gif (885x948, 895K)

just don't join these zoomer user-kun, nix is on IRC exclusively.

discord.gg/sAJNxGG
btfo

>goes through the trouble of installing the GNU project's official distro that has the explicit purpose of being free as in freedom(TM)
>now wants non-free software
You got meme's into doing it didn't you? Just install NixOS you retard, it's literally the same thing without the FOSS autism.

Nah, I don't use Guix. I don't even use any non-free packages, except for the firmware and kernel. I just want more choice, and lack of Firefox and Chromium in the official repos makes me feel bad, although I know that it's relatively easy to install them. I just want something like rpm-fusion, but for Guix -- properly maintained and with everything I could potentially want to use in one place.
>NixOS
NixOS feels really dirty for me, for some reason.

Attached: IMG_20190611_171617_260.jpg (1080x1080, 280K)

guix is a layer on top of nix.

I don't think so. It's based on Nix, but it's not a layer on top of it.

Ask the author of Guix:
Or check how Guix is build:
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/release.nix

Most Guix packages are generated from Nix packages and the whole point of Guix is shilling GNU. The reason why you don't hear them talking about Nix much is because they don't want you to use non-gnu software.

Guys, how do I enable file receiving over bluetooth from android to arch? I can transfer from arch to android just fine, but the other way around just gives me "transfer forbidden by target device" on my phone. There's nothing on the wiki about this, I've tried making that gnome file sharing config file thing, basically tried everything, but nothing works.
I came to the conclusion that I'm looking in the wrong place. So now I ask you for help.

Would you guys recommend Clonezilla for backing up a Windows 10 installation so I can dive in to Arch 100% with confidence that I can always go back to Win10 if I want to?

Nevermind, boys, I'm actually retarded and didn't check blueman entry on the wiki. I configured the permissions correctly now everything just works.

Attached: pondering_spurdo.jpg (184x184, 9K)

retard

But GNU's Not Unix.

Don't you post this botnet here.

Stop lying.
And stop astroturfing.

Get this anti guix shit outta here.

function for { echo $1 ;};for for in for;do \for $for;done

I have linked several sources on my claims including the developers of Guix, and Guix itself. Please go to hell you astroturfing fucktard, are you a paid shill? Did you develop a packagae for Guix and are trying to gain somehow? Is there a group that backdoored Guix and do you work for them?

you have to read between the lines
it isn't anti guix, it's anti gnu

>stop astroturfing
Its not even anti guix its statement of fact Guix builds using nix.

How about this, will you be at the next CCC? I can bring my girlfriend so you have someone to compare dicks with, please however leave software forever.

what are you trying to say by posting this "information"?

B-But that's how most REAL WORK™ is done nowadays.

>"information"
I'm linking gnu.org
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/

>what are you trying to say
nice one.

Nix is a platform independent package manager.

just wondering why you shit up this thread with this shit
what's so important?
what are you trying to say?

>with this shit
I just posted the guix announcement? Please show me how I'm wrong and or make some real argument instead of accusing me.

>gnu.org
>shit
kek

To remind trannies infesting the project about something they'll never have.

KEK, some people never learn.

Attached: 1531364732112.png (1920x1200, 940K)

>this whole thread
Why do I even still come here.

Is it possible install GuixSD with luks lvm dmcrypt and dwm + suckless st ?

You just linked a 1 hour video, not present an argument. Show how whatever you linked supports your statement.

It's possible. It depends on the program in question. Okular and Opera have pixel-precise scrolling, don't know how they implemented it.

That video is the original announcement for Guix. So the other thing I linked is the Guix source code where it is as you can see very easily even without actually reading any code that it both includes and extends nix.

I was actually curious about this. How much tools from Nix does Guix actually use?
>>Check how Guix is build
>>git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/release.nix
>Release file to build Guix with Nix. Useful to bootstrap Guix on Guix-enabled Hydra instances.
>Useful to bootstrap Guix on Guix-enabled Hydra instances.
I don't think that file actually matters at all in this context. I might watch the video later though.

>How much tools from Nix does Guix actually use?
It uses nix-deamon, hydra, nix-build, nix, and most of its packges come from nixpkgs conversions (according to the gnu mailing list).

>I don't think that file actually matters at all in this context.
hydra is the nix dependency builder and cd/ci solution.

Can you open Konsole with a predefined tiling setting? Like one big panel on the left and two on the right.
I know it would need 3 tabs by default because the split view is not really tiling.
I don't want to use tmux or anything else.

I suppose diversity also includes the IQ spectrum.

What's the white man's way to display a notification with notify-send/dunst whenever a certain user makes a new post on twitter?

Why doesn't QT have a way to change font?
I tried setting
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
export QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.5

But now the font rendering looks awful and everything is too big, cause I'm on a low dpi screen. I just want to change the font size, is it too much to ask?

/bin/mksh: Jow Forums: not found

why did redhat named their package manager do not fuck
sorry im new to linux but you have to start somewhere

what's a good replacement for xfce4-panel that supports global menu?
preferably one that works with openbox

On Fedora 30, why can't a .desktop execute a .sh that opens another GUI program? It works perfectly fine on Ubuntu and any distro I ever used. Terminal=false or true, doesn't matter
Exec=i-open-a-gui-app.sh

Attached: fedora.png (588x1209, 878K)

Will CloverOs run on my shitty hardware specs: athlon fx8320 Nvidia gt630 16gb ram cheapest gigabyte motherboard

a scaling factor of 1.5 is making everything 150% bigger, either use a value lower than 1 or alternatively set 'Xft.dpi: xxx' in .Xresources to an appropriate value for your monitor and relog or relaunch programs and you should get an appropriate font dpi for all your programs rather than just qt ones, you may need to run 'xrdb -merge' in the shell
you can also use a qt5ct to set a (qt specific) default/system font size that most qt programs should adhere to but if you're doing the above it shouldn't matter

you also probably don't want QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR

Start here: gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

>qt5ct
This is what I've been looking for, everything works now. Thanks.

Can't believe I haven't done this earlier, I've always just dealt with fonts in Krita and other qt apps being small.

running firefox quantum on manjaro with cinnamon

when i go to customization and hide the title bar, i get a black bar instead when i am in fullscren mode. how can i fix this

Attached: 1560468631363.png (1920x1080, 218K)

How hard is it to dual-boot install windows from base linux hdd? I heard you can fuck up the grub by installing windows. Is that true?

Yes, windows doesn't respect grub and will overwrite it. You would have to boot back into Linux somehow and restore grub after installing windows.

>a friend, carpenter, good smoker, living on a boat - yeah motherfucker - gave me his laptop to repair a few weeks ago.
>I finally find teh time to handle it.
>ASUS shit
>super dirty by all corners
>harddrive is dead.
>no hardrive trap.
>open everything. MORE THAN DIRTY inside
>airflow all in it
>clean everything with alcohol
>remove the drive, cylinder Samsung, what a surprise, and put some spare SSD
>put everything in place
>upgrade BIOS
>decide to install some easy Distro, since friend is not into Tech.
>Debian, boot but fail during install process.. at CDROM deb loading
>Ubuntu, no boot at all only black screen
>Pop os, display early boot sequence then end up on Busybox
>Gentoo Everything works and detected.
Carpenter Friend is gonna use Gentoo.

Attached: 3a9d5037210909.5606600fcf1bd.jpg (3243x1920, 1.61M)

>try debian
>try debian's retarded son
>try cross dressing debian
>none work
>try something different
>it works
What a surprise.
My guess is that debian and ubuntu's kernel don't include something due to being too proprietary(even for ubuntu). Gentoo's default kernel includes everything.
Mint might work. Centos would be worth a try since it has 10+3 years life cycle.

>You would have to boot back into Linux somehow
How? Liveusb then chroot?

Yea, a livecd would be enough

Do you have your script in $PATH?

It's already fine with Gentoo, and servicing will be a point to have some beers together.

Attached: 518TzsHuJpL.jpg (335x500, 49K)

Why does grub and screenfetch show Pop!_OS as Ubuntu? It doesn't bother me but I'm fairly sure I have seen screenfetch show as Pop!_OS for other people in ricing threads. I'm pretty sure I'm going to revert to Fedora regardless i'm just curious.

Try to CTRL-C this.

[for i in {1..254}; do ping -c 2 "192.168.1.$i"; done/code]

Did you add Ubuntu repositories?

KDE neon vs kubuntu?

Debian Stable + Xfce

Tbh fulfill the same question, what's the difference between an Ubuntu based derivative distro and just installing the DE on Ubuntu? From what I've read it's mostly just less botnet and stability on the derivative distro.

kubuntu with the official backports ppa if you really want newer kde shit

Is using NixOS on my main machine worth it? or is it just a hobbyist distro?

github.com/ison5002/guix-g

Twitter is niggerlicious.
But I would just check an RSS feed for such things.