/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread:
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: DSC_0430.jpg (1936x1296, 656K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/merge/skulls
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a t420 already and I'm looking at a really nice t61 tablet. Any reason I shouldn't get it? I want to put an ssd in it. It's being sold for 130.

Thanks.

Is the t430 screen really that shit? I heard it has horrible viewing angle colors and brightness. That's not really a big problem for me since I keep my laptop on the desk most of the time. Is the display good excluding the viewing angle thing?

I got a Thinkpad W510 and I cant boot from usb(Just says Grub(manjaro iso because I am lazy rn))
I had no problem installing Openbsd tho and after that wiped the hdd

i'm thinking of buying a P50 with a xeon in it, with my first paycheck from a start up - are the xeon laptops upgradeable at all?

No it's really pretty shit. You can ignore it most of the time until your friends pull up a newer laptop and you realize just how much you have to concentrate to see some shit on the t420.

It's like playing on a Gameboy. You can see it but you have to really look at it. You wouldn't want to read a novel on it. It's not as bad but it's the best comparison I can think of.

If you want the old style keyboard with a good display get an ips x220. Or if the older look doesn't matter go for a t440p and put an ips in that.

Help, /tpg/
I think I have a problem.
I've just bought yet another T420 because I figured I could always use it a test-platform for installing coreboot on, and for spares if it didn't pan out.

whats the problem? it's not all that hard. just keep your tongue in the middle of the mouth.

Are you having a stroke, or am I? Because that makes no fucking sense.

it's an idiom. not used in the english language i just found out. boi have i looked stupid multiple times.

lmao i kind of like it

asuming you meant x61, yes you should not get it
for one it's overpriced, you could find an X220 for that price which is 3 generations newer (not that those are good either)
and two the tablets suck

it's the kind of fucking retarded that should be put down at birth for sport user. FFS have some standards

are you an osx user

>with my first paycheck
congratulations
>from a start up
uhh... I would suggest setting it aside, just in case they suddenly stop coming

That said, P50 is fine for a desktop machine but it really isn't something you'd want to be taking for a daily commute.

>I've just bought yet another T420
How many does it make now? I got half a dozen T420/T430s though some are on finite lease to family members.

it's purely *serviceable* for doing work
it is not a media consumption screen.

This makes 10 - I keep buying them, both because they're insanely cheap as companies have been getting rid of them forever, but also because I fear that they may run out and I'll suddenly no longer have a refreshable source of spare parts.
With the maintainability of the T420 and assuming I have the parts, I can do a complete rebuild in an hour.

There are lots of idioms that do NOT translate, and they're all fun.

You're not impressing anyone by looking tough on the internet.

thank you for talking me out of it.

i have a pretty nice laptop bag that fits on my bike

and yeah i know, i have some /hmg/ side gigs that help pay bills, but for the most part i just want a laptop that's powerful enough to let me run lots of vm's with a big enough battery to run for 8 hours + while i code in the park and shit like that.

i want a professional beast that i can put linux on and do all kinds of cross platform stuff with, like running a dualboot between my favorite linux (parrot os) and windows 10, maybe a install of commando on a 7 partition.

Yeah I dunno why but they went up in price recently

But on the other hand does anyone know of that one user who sells the real HV121P01-100 LCDs for the x60 platform?
I got his email here a while ago but I didn't write it down like an idiot and now I actually have a x61 to upgrade.
Any help? Hopefully my dude sees this.

Attached: bully.jpg (600x800, 41K)

sorry for being bi-lingual.

I have a feeling the guy I was talking to was xiphmont from the tpforums but I still don't have his email, or even know if he has any screens left.
>will never have comfy viewing x61

Attached: each_day.jpg (884x655, 165K)

Still, I'd suggest considering what setup you really need and looking into what setup you can get out of T450/T460/T470 before committing to 15.6 brick

>not a media consumption device
Can I still watch chinese cartoons on it?

i currently dd a 15.6 inch hp pavillion that's really low end, i3 6100u, 4 gig ram

i want a powerhouse that can run software, nice screen, huge battery

When looking for an Ultrabase Series 3 for an X220, does it matter which model/part number it is or is it enough that it's "compatible with X220"?

>buys x200
>listing says;
>webcam
>b grade
>docking station

yay unboxing time

>condition b almost no scuffs and the keyboard is clean
>no webcam
>ALL usb ports on the base are broken
>dead pixel on screen

fuck you seller

How are the TrackPoint "buttons" on the T440p?
My T420 died and I need a new ThinkPad, so I figured it's time to get a newer model. Hate using the touchpad, though.

Does the W541 have the smell from the rubber rails in the storage bay? Does it even have rubber rails?

Buy used T420s (not the model) and repair your T420.

That way you can have Theseus' ThinkPad.

what's the thinkpad's equivalent meme for desktop computers? is it ..dell optiplex?

Thinkcentre.

Any recommendations on a m.2 2242 SSD?
My t480 already has a 2.5 inch ssd, but I'm interested in adding another ssd for more storage. The t480 only works with PCIE m.2 , not sata. The things on new egg looks pretty worthless. What are my best options for storage config?

Just found one at my work, great condition. Put Lubuntu on it and connected it to our AD and it worked like a charm. Glad I don't have to haul around a massive fucking Dell anymore.

ill sell you my x200t, good shape 8 gb ram, but bios locked.

"Kieli keskellä suuta"? :D
Yeah it doesn't translate very well.

The xx40 trackpoint buttons are terrible but you can swap in a xx50 trackpad with proper buttons.

Yes but it looks awful. 4:3 especially since the black levels suck.

Well fuck I already ordered it. Eh I guess it can't be worse than my current laptop that also has shit colors and anglez

It's a great laptop otherwise. There is also a Chinese FHD mod but the converter board and screen is like $150.

Yeah it's a great laptop, the rest of the hardware really made me just skip researching a bit more. I looked throught multiple thinkpad and the t430 seems perfect for me(atleast for my first thinkpad). Also a massive improvment over my current Dell that has i3 5005U(yeah) and requires a thermonuclear bomb just to upgrade RAM and storage.
Also this t430 is the one with 1600x900 which I consider an upgrade over 1366x768

Enjoy user. It's overall terrific.

Attached: T430 2.jpg (5312x2988, 3.75M)

Is a t420 compatible with any CPU or are they restricted to Intel i3,i5, and i7?

thx user
btw how's the thinkpad chiclet keyboard? How's the feedback and the clicky sound?

*Quad core CPU

Attached: 20190613_152549.jpg (4032x3024, 2.96M)

Not him but it's not as good as the xx20 keyboard in my opinion and the layout is a lot worse but it's pretty fuckin good for a chiclet.
Still swapped the classic one in my X230 though.

Attached: IMG_20190614_235626.jpg (3968x2976, 1.52M)

Yeah I may replace it too in the future, the one I got has some weird finish layout also. Just wanted to know if it's worth to replace.

Nothing wrong with a Finnish layout :^)
It's worth the swap in my opinion but the new chiclets seriously aren't terrible and are probably the best chiclets out there.

The chiclet layout + finnish layout seriously confused me. For a moment I thought that those greater/lesser than symbols next to left shift represent some Finnish character

go return it then

Heh, nah it's just a pretty aids layout if you ever need to >imply anything.
Also for programming the positions of [] and especially {} are fucking dreadful and after decades of using this layout I still can't get them right all the time.

Why does Jow Forums seem to hate newer Thinkpads? Just got a X250 with 1920x1080 IPS + 72wh battery + dock since I'm upgrading my pc setup, and this thing feels amazing.

a couple different things
>not libre
>muh keyboard
>muh modular parts/customization
>muh not reparable
Each of those categories gets pretty complex but overall that's the glaring reason why we don't like the new ones, it's also the same reason we don't like macbooks
we're not saying the new computers arent faster or better, but they're not what we like.

No fingerprint reader?

What CPU should I get for my T420: i7-2630QM or i7-3720QM?

Attached: IMG_4306.jpg (960x721, 139K)

What's a good price on an X250?

Yeah, I do understand the appeal. I actually would like to use an older Thinkpad, but things like having to mod to get a 1920x1080 screen are a turnoff for me. I'm too used to working with a 1920x1080 display, so anything smaller feels a bit awkward to use. I also enjoy things like the really long battery life when using a 72wh battery on the new models.

Tungan rätt i mun
But yeah, basically the same region. ~

Boss wants to buy me a laptop, whats a good one around the $450USD? Preferably ryzen cpus.

Got a TP25 when you could, so glad I did. Of course with Intel Inside it's now about 1/3rd as fast as when I bought it, but that's fine because I don't game except for Frozen Synapse and Dwarf Fortress.

I have Devuan on it, it's peak comfy.

Attached: Lenovo_ThinkPad_25_1506089375_1_12.0.png (1200x800, 58K)

Attached: 155654.jpg (1667x1334, 758K)

What options do you have for a 17 inch Thinkpad from 2012 or newer? Are they even available for a reasonable price, preferably around 300 bucks but flexible to about 5-600? I don't really care about the specs as long as they're good enough, I just want the biggest screen I can get.

I recently got a thinkpad T60 with the intention of Librebooting it, but the thinkpad i bought has a 15.4 inch Samsung LCD (Samsung LTN154X3-L0A to be specific). I know the motherboard is compatible with Libreboot, but not the LCD. Can i buy a 15.1 inch or 14.1 inch LCD and swap it out with the 15.4 inch display?

Let me just throw this in here.

Attached: IMG_20190614_193100.jpg (3120x4160, 1.74M)

>Telnets behind you
Hehe, nothing personel kid.

I had a T420 a few years ago and loved it and I'm looking for a new laptop now.
I do software revolving around C#, C++, databases and some light game scripting in my spare time, should I just get another T420 or is there a better model to go for?
Money is not really an object.

r8 my x220 i7 upgrades wish list

Attached: screen_shot_12.png (1088x764, 161K)

How do you like that Pentel eraser? I've been looking at them.
P70 series is the only 17in ThinkPad post 2012. W700 series was prior.
You can get those caddies for like half that on ebay. And I feel like that much RAM is overkill.

That's a pretty one user, I've got one in great condition myself, but I prefer my T410.

>Why ThinkPad?

Obsolete tech and low res monitors generally

How hard is it to coreboot an X230? I want to do that + classic keyboard + replace wifi card

Attached: 1545953833829.gif (300x221, 1.61M)

Nice one, glowie

Just bought an old x100e (2 core version) for a light carry. New battery, SSD, linux lite and it's surprisingly speedy. Boot time's a bit slow but oh well.

Attached: 14744-img8711s-1.jpg (500x339, 54K)

more idioms plox

I fucking love my T450s so much bros

Barely used toy. Fresh off corporate reload.

Attached: 2019-06-14-223817_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.62M)

What's a good place to shop for Thinkpads? I'm looking to buy an x250 and I'd like to make sure I'm getting a decent deal. eBay has a couple but I'm not really sure on exactly what the price point for this model should be.

What's wrong w/ x220? I was considering getting one

Language and meaning?

Gen 1 or Gen 2?

it means he shouldn't drool over it, keeping your tongue between your teeth as opposed to letting it hang out and drooling like a dog.

OK, cool, thanks!

I am the op and an indian btw how do you feel about that.
I have an X201s and T400 and a dead x120e

I dont know if this a good place to ask, but I'm becoming very dissatisfied writh my consumer laptop. I use it for both productivity (writing /lit/ in Emacs but also learning programming) and multimedia equally. The last straw was when I tried to use Krita. It's to cramped on a sub hd screen. I did not realize the panel was 1366x768 when I got it and it's colors are bad so my waifus don't look as cute as thay should.

Attached: 1551577767396.jpg (800x534, 66K)

You have all been Poo'd in the Loo by posting in this thread.

Attached: IMG_20190615_085652017.jpg (1836x3264, 1.11M)

Not /Thinkpad/ per-se but do you guys know any of these "tablet" like the Surface which can run Linux and have swappable storage?
My x201 is dying and I'm not decided whether to replace it with a x220 / x1carbon or embrace the new era of "laptops".

Attached: 1553363891734.jpg (480x474, 25K)

Just get a regular laptop don't fall for the bullshit tablet meme

why dont more people on here use W520s?

Looks kind of neat tho. I use my laptop for PDF reading, emacs stuff and light programming.
So there idea of a tablet with a Bluetooth Thinkpad keyboard is the ideal device.
But I don't feel good about having the storage soldered on the motherboard. I want to be able to swap between the vanilla install, some toy Gentoo install and daily Linux install by swapping hardware.
I don't care much about upgrading RAM.

is T430s for 100 bucks worth it?

>>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
is dis gud?

Any good thinkpad ultrabook?

I want to put linux on my complete stock t440p. Wat do?

Thoughts on the price for a t520 which is being sold for 127 without shipping
Specs
I7 2760QM
8 GB ram
Storage 111 GB

the clic for pro is a great eraser. the papermate tuff stuff (and factis bm2 clone) and metal type tombow mono rectangular are good choices too.
gen 1

are any of the new x series any good? when my x201 batteries kick the bucket I want a 12 inch laptop again

Ok lads you guys got to me and I just ordered a t420 memepad. What am I in for?

install gentoo

Anyone here has one of those yoga thinkpads?
I really like the idea of surface book no upgrade/repaire ability is no go so I'm wondering if there is decent thinkpad alternative.

I can't get my t470 fingeprint reader to work, tried everything, bios, removed drivers, updating everything, Just don't see any biometric devices in
device manager.

halp

Using Skulls is easy af.
You don't even have to compile it.
You still have to flash it by hardware tho.
github.com/merge/skulls