Is it possible for SSDs to become cheaper per gb than hard drives?

Is it possible for SSDs to become cheaper per gb than hard drives?

Attached: StorageReview-Intel-DC-S3500-SSD-Circuit-Board-Top.jpg (850x573, 229K)

Other urls found in this thread:

adorama.com/idsqxa1tb.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

HDDs cost more in materials, so yes.

It's already cheaper to manufacture SSDs. The real question is when will the jews stop inflating SSD prices.

>The real question is when will the jews stop inflating SSD prices.
exactly this. i suspect there's a price fixing cartel going on with manufacturers. prices have not got any better for the last few years.

the retards should fucking stop making anything smaller than 500GB and price that at what 120GB is right now. it's a fucking waste of material. put that shitty old 120GB flash into shitphones, problem solved, stop pushing this garbage.

It will happen soon a 1tb SSD is already down to around £130 and the chinks are getting into band production now, I'd give it 2 years until the prices are similar based on capacity

Yes, technically if "they" wanted we could already do it.
We have 1TB TLC SSDs for $80 already (ADATA SU800).

But the top dogs will try their best to keep their prices high (Samsung, Toshiba and Micron), they did it with RAM till it crashed, NAND was expensive too but now its cheap because not only it crashed but demand stopped being as high since China started to make their own NAND.

That's pretty expensive.
My comp store has a NAND 1TB drive on sale for 80USD
That's like 60 bong bucks

Don't SSDs get slower to read as they get filled? If so a small set of 120GB would be preferable over a single, larger capacity drive.

Attached: image0.jpg (512x384, 24K)

It's what they did with ram. Prices only now dropped to reasonable prices only 1 year after they were taken to court for this shit aswell as the announcement that China will start producing ram. So we're gonna have to wait for the courts to get involved or the chinks to save us.

Probably a Samsung SSD.

No, slower to write only and durability is decreased.
write speeds are not affected.

>write speeds are not affected.
Read speeds are not affected*

Sorry user, it's not possible. Go back too reddit now

Attached: image.jpg (640x871, 316K)

This is why libertarians are retarded. They claim that this kind of thing would never happen because of muh prisoner's dilemma and that one competitor will quickly undercut the competition and reap the sales

But then you have countless examples like SSDs where prices are all mysteriously high and within the same range across all brands.

It's called collusion. It's as old has monopolies and a well documented thing. It's just American retarded politics that want to point out 1 or 2 monopolies as a scapegoat so the public doesn't fix their eyes on the rest of the market that's screwing them over.
Planned obsolescence is a strange thing to still exist. People are perfectly fine with having to buy the same then 100x as opposed to once

See and It's a matter of economics of scale. SSDs already use less materials, weigh less so they're cheaper to ship, and the NAND chips are easy to repurpose for phones, embedded devices, netbooks, etc. It's just a matter of soldering them onto a different PCB. All of these things massively reduce the cost of manufacturing SSDs, and should (in theory) drive the prices way down. Last year the prices cam down quite a bit when China put the squeeze on memory manufacturers.

its as possible as gold becoming cheaper than water.

80 US Burgers per terabyte is pretty expensive by HDD standards. I've bought refurb HDDs for $20/TB.

When chinks start to mass product memory modules and put an end to the korean jews oligopoly who controls the market right now.
Since mechanical hard drives last longer and are the norm on servers and corporate use we don't have a lot of incentive on the market to push for it though
I hope the trade wars shake things up a little so we start to see some change

>Silicon chip manufacturers owe you low prices
No one owes you shit by default. If gov't's worldwide would stop restricting business (because of big corp lobbyists that get laws passed that fuck over the competition) there would be a multitude of different companies that would start being able to produce more RAM and cheaper at that.
Even if you think that wouldn't happen, fab companies still don't owe you jack shit. It's about freedom and consensual agreements. I would have thought that given the love for FOSS on this board you'd understand some of those concepts.

I don't think mechanical drives are ever going to go out of fashion, unless there's some massive technological shift in the future. They're just too good for long term storage and backup solutions. They fill a niche that SSD's can't really compete in even if they were to eventually be cheaper than mechanical drives.

>I've bought refurb HDD

Attached: 1560128173640.jpg (326x294, 23K)

If you've ever used an external HDD then you've used a refurbished HDD. It's not a bad solution if you need lots of storage space but don't need as much a guarantee of long term capabilities.

yeah some companies are really this dodgy. there's no fucking way in hell i would buy any drives sold in this manner. I have my own controllers and interfaces to deal with this situation so I can plug in any brand new drive I wish. I feel bad for the plebs and computer illiterates that buy external drives in this way. Sad!

I can understand why it's not ideal for you (and it isn't for me either) but it's got its niche. As long as they state it clearly somewhere visible before buying I have no problem with them being refurbished.

god damn you're an idiot

Yikes.
>not an argument
Did you get fired recently? Your wife cheat on you? That would explain why you're so salty.

They're already cheaper per GB on the low end so yeah, apparently

Why don't they make 3.5" SSD ?

how are govt's restricting fabs? its not because of safety and regulations, its because fabs are super fucking expensive. one of the most popular chip makers on the planet doesn't have their own fabs because its too expensive

There is no point, and creating them in 2.5" increases sales because you can use them in laptops and desktops.
And they exist in SAS.

>he doesn't know about black silicon
>he doesn't know about the missing fabs

the fast SSD technologies have to be super small, so theres no need to fill up the extra space

they do, but what's the use-case?
2.5" is big enough for the kind of small-ish, affordable drives that most people will buy
3.5" drives will probably become more common once ssds get closer to hdds cost-wise, and mass storage becomes feasable

Attached: 1TB Colossus_Lite SSD.jpg (1600x1001, 101K)

>Electrolytic capacitors in SSD
Is this some enterprise 'safe power down' thing?

ssd will last a year before the cap pops and fucks the rest of the drive

>I have no problem with them being refurbished.
hard drives are that last things on the planet that should be "refurbished". those fuckers should be brand new. the controller itself, no fucks given. it's sata to usb. common as fuck. though, on second thoughts, it would be interesting to see what data is still on these drives if they are refurbished.

I personally do have a problem with using refurbished drives. Others don't. If they know what they're getting themselves into, there's nothing wrong. Why waste materials if someone else wants to buy it?

Also data is very hard to recover with even a single low level wipe. It's mostly a myth that you have to zero a hard drive multiple times for security, even if your adversary is the NSA or similar.

I was shocked when my 1tb nvme ssd came in, it is comically small. The actual size density you can achieve with flash storage is stupid.

Right now I'm on a 500gb ssd I bought from the Chinese for less than 30 bucks a year ago. Feels fine, don't know how long it will last but even if it dies tommorow, I'll still believe it was a good deal

SSDs require substantially more electricity to manufacture, until we have far cheaper power sources it's not going to happen.

Just use nukes man

Literally this. Energy production is technology. Nuclear is the best we have right now. Unironically safer than all other non renewable energy sources (and also dams). Also if you believe in 'climate change' then you should support nuclear energy. So whether you're left or right wing and on either side of the authoritarian/libertarian axis it's a good idea. Ignore alarmists and research yourself.

Once HDDs stop being made, obviously.
Try buying NOS MFM drives, ten dollars per MB.

ie never because HDD's are better than SSD's for long term storage. Unless someone figures some new tech out, HDD's aren't going anywhere

This.
On the other hand, resources such as plutionium are limited, so nuclear energy can't be used for a long period of time (even with low usage, it would be like 1000 years at best for Earth).

>long term storage
just use tapes bro

I am sure 1000 years is more than enough for us to discover something else and leave Earth possibly.

Of course.

the lowest price i found costs $70 for 1tb on taobao, so it's pretty close right now.
but once Yangtze selling NAND it gonna crash more and more.

Hope chinks will never go into full jew mode like western companies did in the past with price fixing and intentionally slowing progress down for maximum profits.

US govt is too weak for to fix that but CPC has firing squads to back their policies so who knows.

>slow as fuck and costs an arm and a leg
For any type of data you need quick access to but need it dormant for long periods of time, HDD's are best

We'll probably figure out how to break even with fusion reactors by then. Fusion would then last for the rest of humanity's existence.

Especially with the already outrageous power supply from nuclear. Though if we can achieve 100% power efficiency we can literally power everything using cats.

black holes are great too to extract most of matters energy but that would mean interstellar/galactic travel so very far future

Making a factory that produces high-tech RAM/Flash from scratch requires a MASSIVE starting investment and R&D because existing companies won't just give you all of their technology.

Not really. Actual long term storage uses tape arrays with robotic delivery system (banks for example), not HDDs. HDDs are particularly awful for long term storage and no, RAID is redundancy for uptime not backup.
Once SSDs surpass HDDs in capacity too, there's no performance/price/power usage reason for even servers to use HDDs.

That's one use case scenario. I doubt the average data hoarder is willing to drop 5k on a tape reader/writer.

Abolish IP/Patents. They're anti freedom. Patents basically restrict me from modifying my own property to the fullest extent. No patents = more innovation in the private sector and you'll see fabs become much more economically feasible.

why ARE tape drives so expensive? they don't believe there's a market for "prosumers" who'd buy not-quite-so-high-end tape drives?

>SSDs require substantially more electricity to manufacture
wrong

Beats me. Probably not a lot of demand, with the exception of large corps, banks and so on which can just pay the price

Dude... SSDs use electircal bits(1's) and bites(0's). Mechanical drives use mechanical bits and bites. Of course SSD's are gonna youse more energy

fuck, i replied

Correct.
They also end up having a far higher CO2 cost due to the components.

>I've bought refurb HDDs for $20/TB.
Ah-huh...

Attached: 2400x1680_px_anime_bikini_cgi_fantasy_Final_Fantasy_Rikku_sexy-740540.jpg (1600x1120, 422K)

Only if the volume of HDD production decreases and SSD production increases which is inevitably going to happen.

Compared to other resources we have left on earth, not even counting traditional power sources like coal and oil? A thousand years is an eternity

Because the already niche market of hobbyists just buy used anyway

Prices are going to go down for a few years until PC streaming takes off.
Afterwards drives will get more expensive as most people will join the botnet.
Having an actual computer at home will be considered weird and ruin any chance you have of getting pussy

>ruin any chance you have of getting pussy

Like this is not already in effect

>There are only plutonium reactors.
I'm honestly surprised people agree with you.
>Having an actual computer at home will be considered weird and ruin any chance you have of getting pussy
Ah... We'll have come full circle

Honestly once you imagine SSD price and capacity parity, the HDD advantages are really minor. The main one is much lower volatility, but on the flip side they're vulnerable to magnets, moisture, dust, and even at rest they're mechanically less durable than SSDs. For very large-scale long-term storage, tape is already vastly superior.
That leaves an odd niche of being better only if you want to store data over multiple years without touching it BUT can't afford to buy tape. I think most hobbyists will just have a solution where they power up their archive bank once a year or so to refresh the SSDs and not have to worry about dust or anything else the rest of the time, just chuck then in a box under the bed.

Only once they're actually cheaper, of course, but that was the assumption.

I'm stealing this.

Sure but why would you want that? SSDs aren't and never will be fit for mass storage.

I'd love to do my data hoarding on SSDs just because, unlike spinning disks, they're silent.

Honestly what kind of ancient drives do people use that noise is still an issue? My 4TB and 8TB drives are all so silent I can't hear them when I'm standing right next to the server even under load.

You might want to get your ears checked m8

The 8TBs I use have a noise level of ~22 db give or take, the Noctua fans I use in my storage server are literally louder than the drives themselves.

Constant write use cases, like for CCTVs
It's also less prone to heat related data degradation, and much much (much) easier to recover data from at every level

Attached: Figure-3-1343152191.png (665x378, 48K)

What you don't understand is, when 12TB SSDs are the same price as 12TB HDDs are now, nobody gives a fuck.
Yes an actual data hoarder *WILL* use tape anyways, at least periodic backups of their arrays.

planned jewsolescence

adorama.com/idsqxa1tb.html

Attached: 4L_SWVyuUgk.png (750x1294, 279K)

>3.5" drives will probably become more common once ssds get closer to hdds cost-wise, and mass storage becomes feasable
Doubtful. Unless some kind of physical limit starts being reached where going smaller isn't feasible, BUT going cheaper is still possible, and we start seeing 128TB SSDs but using density not much greater than current tech like - then and only then I can imagine 3.5'' SSDs becoming actually necessary and common. Otherwise, nah.

Here folks, we see a wild turbobrainlet doing what he does best: doubling down.

120GB is fine for me. I only need space for the OS and my common applications, everything else is pulled from storage servers.

Problem is nukes are incredibly unattractive for private utilities, If you want widespread nuclear adoption you'll need state owned utilities like France Russia and India. Which will never happen in the US because muh gommunism

I agree with what you said but why is it unattractive to private utils?

Massive up-front capital expenditure that takes decades to pay off and start making a profit. That's inherently very risky, especially since electricity prices swing a lot more than they once did as more renewables get built. Also in America fracking has made natural gas dirt cheap, I believe cheaper than nuclear power can be profitably sold at. Nukes also are pretty much only suitable for base-load power, you can't wind the output up or down quickly. Gas turbines can do that, which makes them much more flexible. You could mitigate this with some kind of storage system, renewables are driving development of those anyway, but that just adds more up-front capital cost and lengthens the payoff period even further.

all this comes with large amounts of political risk heaped on top, since the voting public remembers Fukushima and Chernobyl and doesn't know a damn thing about atomic physics.

For all the times that politicians did things even though the public hated them for it this is the one time I wish they had some balls to say no fuck off Nuclear is in fact safe and the best we got right now and not cower to retards.

>you'll need state owned utilities like France Russia and India. Which will never happen in the US because muh gommunism
Because being ruled by an oligarchy of monopolies is preferable to state(owned by all the citizens of the country) owned.
American commemoration of independence day is laughable.

What we actually need to do is end birthright citizenship and the meme idea that everyone should be able to vote.

No what we should do is kill career politicians and only allow people to run for offices and minister positions if they are actually qualified for it e.g. have at least a doctors degree in the field.

SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

>people owe me cheap ram
you got me to reply

based

cringe

holy shit i asked about cheap SSDs, what the fuck is this

Attached: jerryshine.gif (498x410, 410K)