Steam is DRM

Steam is DRM

Attached: steam_logo1-100691183-large.jpg (699x466, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Good thing ur mom is open source

get rekt faget

op; BTFO
have sex, Stallman

No shit.

>Steam has optional DRM.
FTFY

video games are DRM
also fuck off back to

couldn't have said it better myself

It's not optional.

Not really. You can run open source DRM-free games bought on steam without actually launching steam. (and completely offline too of course)
Steam is a software delivery system that offers a primitive DRM with a default package. Sort of disk-check for digital age.
Now that OP got completely BTFO with facts and logic I hope he kills himself

suck my fat cock you dumb shill loser poorfag nigger

steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

First of all, you need a steam account to even use the library features. Second, it requires an internet connection to Valve servers to use, and forces updates on all users without the ability to turn that off.

It's DRM. Games that happen to have third party DRM on Steam makes it double DRM.

>Not really. You can run open source DRM-free games bought on steam without actually launching steam. (and completely offline too of course)
cool, now how do you install them without installing and signing up for steam

did you read the post, monkey? steam is a software delivery system that developer chooses to use.
but be my guest and post a video of gabe newell standing with a gun forcing a poor dev to use evil steam

you don't even have the basic understanding of what DRM is.

you don't even have the basic understanding of what Steam is.
>>>/steamdb.info/
>>>/steampowered.com/

No shit? Do you think zoomers addicted to vidya care?

you didn't answer the question

got a reliable source on that claim?

Take an anti-drm stance and support GOG and itch.io

Peace and love

So I can buy a game from the Steam store and play it without a Steam account or the Steam client?

Yes

Factually incorrect, game licenses on steam (free or paid) require an account to use, which means agreeing to valve's EULA

wrong

Whatever, it's not DRM. Cry about it epic chinkoid

Steam requires you to have both the client and a game specific license downloaded in addition to the game in order to play. That's DRM.

>/v/edditor shitting himself that he was using DRM all along
your tears are so salty and delicious

Attached: 1557823949757.png (601x601, 346K)

>epic shill thread

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

>being this upset tencent is supporting epic instead of valve

Who said anything about using other DRM cancer? Fuck off, Gabe-defence-force.

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOP POSTING FACTS BECAUSE.... UH.....

Steam is controlling you instead of you controlling Steam.

How do I play games I bought on steam on a different PC without internet?

no shit. I would go full FOSS but I need to play tf2

you mean steamwork, yeah

If those games don't use the Steamwork as DRM, you can play it without the client

Ubisoft goes Steamworks bye bye, always on DRM.

Nah.

There are games sold on steam without any DRM at all.

You can just copy the game folder and run it on a computer without steam even installed.

GOG is the best of the best.

Attached: Logo_GoG.png (350x350, 118K)

Do people ACTUALLY believe, genuinely believe, that Steam isn't DRM? Wtf how brainwashed/retarded are video game players these days?

savage

Ubisoft goes Steamworks bye bye, always on DRM.

>current year
>steam STILL doesn't have hidpi support

No shit genius.

Good thing I cheat in their games.
That's how I fight this Americans. China number one, bro.

Platform that takes 30% cut good!
Platform that takes 13% bad!

Ignorance is strength! Slavery is freedom!

>exclusive good

Attached: hahaha.jpg (192x171, 15K)

When it's steam exclusive it's good!

By this sort of beastly stupidity you would also conclude that GOG is DRM, because it has an account and you shockingly require an internet connection in order to download digital games from a digital store which delivers the games via internet connectivity. Shocking truth!

>steam exclusive
Publishers being lazy sack of shits isn't the same with bribery. Not like a commie like you will understand what free market is, though.

Attached: interdasting.jpg (685x567, 53K)

Attached: 1516381234153.png (599x600, 144K)

>being this fucking stupid

Not the same user but if you value free markets you would understand that there's nothing wrong with video games being exclusive to a platform or store, from an ethical standpoint. No one is bribing anyone and there is no coercion involved. Two parties voluntarily agreed to benefit each other. I don't understand what's wrong with this? Developers and storefronts don't owe you shit.

>muh epic shills!

Attached: 1533318920562.png (560x768, 801K)

Anything with an account is drm
TFW Jow Forums has become infested with retards that don't even understand the concept of the acronyms they use

owned

Attached: 1508804039196.png (259x335, 89K)

slayed

Developers are free to go to which ever platform they choose silly redditor. Why wouldn't they go to the one which offers the better deal? Steam is free to try and compete

Attached: snapshot_15.22.001.png (1920x1080, 2.7M)

It's almost like they want Open Source shit just for the sake of open source shit and apply the ideology indiscriminately instead of realizing that the fundamental axioms of FOSS are of liberty and applying "software freedom" principles everywhere through coercive methods is against this very basic axiomatic principle they supposedly get their FOSS philosophy from.
It's almost like they don't understand what makes software freedom principles ethical in the first place.

There's nothing illegal about it, also there's nothing stopping me on hating that kind of practice and refuse to support it at any kind.

Attached: 1515903234261.jpg (854x640, 100K)

That's your right my dude. It's all part of the balancing act between the consumers greed and the producers greed. Just saying you can't say that it's against free market principles when it's in fact completely compatible with them.

>E-epic
Ah the steamshill exposed himself

And what does it have to do with Orwell?

I'm the first (you). I don't know what it has to do with Orwell. If you're trying to make a point then I will respond with my opinion that I think that if people want to be spied on and agree to it in clear terms under no coercion then that's also their right.

>I bought a steam game with no drm,
>installed it
>didn't like it
>refund.
>For some reason it's still on the drive
>It worked

Poorly implemented or defective DRM is still DRM. Also

True.
I would like a store thay just sells you a serial key you use to download a game.
Oh wait now that i think about it it would be horrible.
One leak would mean the end of a dev's career.

DRM controls people. People are also controlling the DRM. Perfect storm or singularity?

Attached: interjection.jpg (1600x1300, 476K)

The keys could be generated by batches. If there is enough demand they could generate another batch. If there's a leak it would only affect one batch. No real way to prevent the temporary damage caused from the key generator's source code leak, but the same risk is present with having your DRM getting cracked but difference is one is permanent another can be fixed by updating/changing the verification method for keys.

From a purely ethical standpoint, there is nothing wrong with DRM as long as there is no coercion involved. From an idealist standpoint, as in from the perspective of a truly perfect society, no such DRM would be necessary in the first place.
People sometimes confuse what they ideally want versus what is the most ethical proxy to this ideal society.

Attached: mp.jpg (904x864, 84K)

i hear GoG is drm because a web browser and payment details are mandatory.

chink defense force never fails.

How retarded do you have to be this autistic?

Attached: 1545141201980.jpg (342x245, 14K)

GoG is DRM

What do you think about the new gog galaxy being opensource?

more open source shit = usually better in my eyes

>Delete steam_api.dll
>Launch the game through steam once
>Delete steam_api.dll and acksteam.dll
>Old version works without Steam
>Error message can be dismissed
>Delete steam_api.dll and SteamworksNative.dll.
>Paste 358960 into steam_appid.txt
>WILL NOT SAVE DATA without Steam running
Having DRM that's easy to circumvent is still DRM. Also none of these give you an installer. All you can do is copy the folder to another machine and hope it works. Any of these games could update themselves to add DRM features at any time. This is not the same as DRM free distribution.

>how can i get a drm-free game on disc without going to the store it is sold in?
>how can i order something online without giving them any of my details/contact information?

You Can't! This doesn't make it DRM, this makes it possible to run a service.

janitors ban users over this copypasta btw. i know from experience. they must be commies.

Yep, use SSE.
I bring it on vacation.

The fundamental split in vision here seems to be that people don't get games are products meant for sale. You can't sell digital products online without at least a small amount of drm.

close enough

Attached: 1415813507079.jpg (500x401, 49K)

>This is not the same as DRM free distribution.
>you need ftp client to download pirated games from ftp server
>therefore this is not a drm free distribution

Steam is malware, it doesn't just enforce DRM but also backdoors your system to hell.

Not him but wrong. Some games in my Steam library are straight clones of GOG releases.

Some stuff on Steam is legitimately DRM free.

Yes it is.
Old games can be moved around freely and even copied on another computer.
Fallout 1 & 2 for example.
Paradox titles are also DRM free on Steam

you torrent them

torrent clients are drm though

Steam is DRM

Reminder: Steam can ban/close/lock your account causing you to lose access to all your software.

kys commie neckbeard

Attached: 1534822653825.png (680x823, 1.1M)

what do you think an installer does bruh

The sky is also blue now back to learning simple fact nigger

Attached: 1558194662434.png (166x166, 14K)

But it doesn't get in the way

So GOG is DRM too?

No, GOG games contain no DRM.
After you obtain your games you can even delete your GOG account and cut your internet connection and the games will still work.

Gog isn't DRM because it's a store, not a digital rights management system.

Is Amazon DRM because you have buy shit first and give them money?

Steam shills need to die, instantly