/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a SUPER series that will reportedly see 20 series cards upgraded to one higher card tier: e.g., the 2060 SUPER will perform like a 2070 at the old 2060's price point. More info on the SUPER series possible on 6/21.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B07NBM6KYH
amazon.com/dp/B07PZX54QC
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-Gaming-X-rev-10#support-dl-driver-chipset
pcpartpicker.com/list/3y4MLJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/4jWtP3
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57357-For-anyone-who-has-a-4790k-running-hot-here-is-the-fix-that-worked-for-me
pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb
pcpartpicker.com/list/nYmDGG
youtube.com/watch?v=eIoAlEV2IK0
youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Is a UPS worth it to protect a $1500-$2000 PC or is it a waste of space? I mean obviously if you're a richfag living in a huge ass house, why not to avoid the hassle of electronics failure, but I'm not entirely convinced a UPS is worth the space it takes up for the average user given that the things it's protecting will have gone obsolete long before they would have died anyway in all likelihood. My parents have some ancient ten year old DVRs plugged into surge protectors that are still alive and kicking but are slow as fuck running the current firmware.

is navi worth it?

noone knows. it may not be vega but it might be defeated by super and rtx price cuts

hold onto your wallets

A UPS is mostly designed to prevent data loss / corruption from a sudden power outage

a stabilizer should be sufficient tbqh
your psu has one but if something happens it might not be enough, so get a external as well

I was stunned after looking around for 4k gaming monitors, I cant find something above 75hz thats cheap but so far it's much more affordable that 1440p144 monitors

should I just bite the bullet and go 4k? planned to use with a supposed super 2070 upgrade

can i use the gen 3 ryzens on my x370 board?

Are there any monitors that do integer scaling yet? I want to be able to play/watch 1080p content on a 4K screen

why do i want to upgrade my shit even though i have perfectly adequete hardware and barely ever play games

Attached: 1560345666107.jpg (460x500, 95K)

Depends, I get occasional brown outs in my area due to summer-time AC usage. So it's nice to have everything on a UPS so if power goes down for a moment, nothing fucks up with my computer.

So I bought a sapphire pulse vega54, load up gpu-z and congrats its HBM2 (Hynix)!

Should I return it to amazon and try the lottery again? I wanted to try my hand at undervolting and using aftermarket cooling for the Vega 64 BIOS but i heard very disappointing things if you don't have the samsung memory.

Attached: bannerlord_mfw.webm (364x506, 960K)

You want to achieve perfection in something to make yourself feel better, His Darknness.

Probably, check with your mobo manufacturer

amazon.com/dp/B07NBM6KYH
amazon.com/dp/B07PZX54QC

Hookers and blow

Yes return it and buy a 2060

yes lmao. Why wouldn't it?

dust filters are a must have

Not worth the effort. You can surely get at least 900mhz on the HBM still. I got 935MHz on my Hynix HBM2. Still matches a 2060 with simply OC'ing memory to that.
I don't think you can even flash that card, anyway.

Fucking help

Bought Ryzen parts
Mounted it
Monitor is vga and onboard video has no vga out so I stuck in my old 9500gt
Used that for two days then ordered a dvi to vga adapter
Today realized the adapter will take too long to arrive and installed the 9500gt again
But it didn't fucking show anything on the screen. It seemed to boot normally but nothing on the screen
Then I realized the GPU wasnt well fit into the pcie slot in one side. I pressed it and it's now well inside the slot. I also reset the bios by removing battery and jumper on cmos
Try to turn it up and get the same shit
Why?

>Just realized that if I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on my late hamster, I could've been currently gaming on something better than a Intel HD 620
I still miss him though.

Attached: 1550207260079.png (525x698, 565K)

>Still matches a 2060
New term: buyer's delusion

Does Zen 2 support Windows 7?

I need to build a Win7 machine.

>inb4 just use W10

Attached: 1560554243169.gif (599x335, 284K)

3700x or 3800x and why? I'm leaning towards 3800x because I think it'll be better binned with the higher base and boost clock but I'm open to suggestions.

Hearing SUPER will be minor improvements. Some additional cores, clocks, maybe additional VRAM. Not huge.

Yeah, I'll be updating the OP next time I post to read:
>Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a SUPER series that will reportedly see 20 series cards bumped by ~15% performance while retaining their price points. More info on the SUPER series possible on 6/21.
I misread the currytech article. There probably will be heavily factory OC'd models, considering the chips will be unlocked. So you will probably be able to buy a basic model and play the silicon lottery for another significant improvement over the baseline

Right now it doesn't exceed 50c even then could it be related to those two things?

TDP and binning is the only thing I can imagine.

However with PBO on, TDP won't matter.

So I really don't fucking know, I can't imagine it mattering TOO MUCH in the end, except maybe a 2-5% difference at absolute best.

Let's not forget that with any new model, you're opening the door to growing pains (Take a look at the RTX series of GPUs for a recent example). The Ryzen 3000 series is an entire new LINE of GPUs, not just "hurr durr tiny bump in performance."

If you can wait a month for something, you can wait a few months for that thing to mature, or, just buy the established product now and avoid the fucking hassle of being on the bleeding edge while simultaneously not having to deal with bullshit.

Im the same, have a 2700x getting the 3800x even tho its a waste of money

Not really.
You could boot into Windows 7 through some tweaking only to find out your specific mobo doesn't have win7 drivers for its ethernet and/or wi-fi controller. It'll work if you try hard enough but will be a headache and keep being one.

I'm looking for a super small form factor build.

I've decided to go with a 2060 since that has good machine learning performance. At the same time, I stream on twitch, so I want an AMD 7nm which should be good at this workload.

Any suggestions?

Sir, pls do the needful and wait for the 2060 Super.

just use linux

so you're saying he should wait until fall so that he can purchase intel's new spaceheater?

Waiting can always save you frustration. Maybe don't even fucking bother with the waiting. I'd value what I know over what I don't know.

i know that intel chips cause housefires so i'm planning to get one to save on my heating bill this winter

Current rig
>6600k i5
1070 water cooled
16gb ddr4
Small m.2 boot drives and ssds for general game storage
Asus 28in 1440 monitor

Am I a idiot for wanting to buy a whole new rig at the end of the year from Amazon (because monthly payment option)

Or just I just swap the i5 for a i7 9700k and call it a day, is lga 1151 obsolete?

>swap the i5 for a i7 9700k
Can't, your mobo is 1151v1 (100 and 200 series chipset), and the 9700K only works on 1151v2 (300 series chipset)

You need to figure out which case and motherboard you're going to use and which cooler that fits inside your case has the best performance while not obstructing anything on your particular motherboard.
From there you can decide which CPU to get. The worse your cooling options are, the more you'll have to trade off by picking two out of the following: "runs like molasses", "cost me an arm and a leg", and "my fans can be heard from the next room".

What are my options if I stick with this mobo?

7700k I guess...

Win7 is EoL in a few months. You'd have to be retarded to use it with a machine connected to the internet.

Probably not significantly higher binned, but higher TDP means more headroom for it to boost harder.

Streaming is usually on the CPU, at least if you want the best possible quality.

You need a new board, which means you should go for Zen2 most likely.

7700k, which absolutely isn't worth it. You could likely get a 3600 + board for that price.

>Win7 is EoL in a few months. You'd have to be retarded to use it with a machine connected to the internet.
Wow, it's incredible that you have 0 idea what you're talking about. There's still machines running XP and Vista connected to the internet that are fine. EOL doesn't immediately make shit go awry.

Yeah and millions of those machines propagated malware like WannaCry and the damage was in the millions
>Wow, it's incredible that you have 0 idea what you're talking about.

Is there a better thread for me to ask this??

Okay guys, my budget is ~$1200-1300 USD.

I am looking for a gaming and VR (namely VR chat, I'm lonely) rig. I've got a monitor already.
I'm not great at picking parts - quite frankly I'm retarded at most of it. I would like to get two sticks of ram, preferably 8 gigs each.

I'm not sure what the difference between a HDD and an SSD is, but I would like somewhere in between 500 gigs and 1 TB. If its 500 gb, but has better performance, I would prefer that.

I don't care about casing too much, though something that leaves room for expansion or cool shit would be great. I also have a keyboard and mouse, so no worries there. And I am absoultely out of the loop on graphics cards, so again, whatever is best performance.

I know I haven't given much to work with, but I appreciate all the help you guys can give me

>Computers without antivirus are insecure
No, you don't say?

on reddit maybe

Are you sure its going through POST and its booting?

I know some the gigabyte socket am4 motherboard have win 7 drivers. Such as the
B450.

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-Gaming-X-rev-10#support-dl-driver-chipset

Also windows posready 7 has support till 2021. Not much longer but eh.

>thinks corporations update antivirus on win 7 in anno 2019

Just unplug it from the internet or hide behind 7 proxies. Why would u want to keep old bloatware OS if not for nostalgia and running old shit?

How much do you expect the new ASUS Crosshair VIIIs will be?

Too much

Redpill me on NVMe SSDs. I'm tempted to get one but unsure if I should go for one or not.

I bought an i7 4770k for £130 to replace my i5 4690k (which I hope to sell on for £85). How did I do? Is there anything major I should be aware of regarding the i7? I know Intel rebranded it into the i7 4790k because of thermal interface issues but other than that?

Not quite the jump from HDD to SSD but worth it, im selling my SSDs and switching to a 1tb NVME as my main drive

I was gonna do the same till I came to my senses and am now starting a used ryzen build. Buying everything used.
You'll regret your purchase in two years.

Any tips on selling a pc?
I currently have an i5 8600k, 1060 3gb that i'm looking to sell

Read OP, check build lists to get an idea about all the components you'll need. If you can wait a month, you'll likely want an R5 3600 and a 2060 Super at the least, which fit your budget. Do you have a HMD or any halfway decent PC already?

For gaming probably not worth it

Ya done good. For a 45 bong upgrade it'll be awesome

Use craigslist, check ebay for sold listings
Can also sell all components individually, or at least break down partially

I was considering that but even used ryzens are expensive and I already have 16gb of fast ddr3 and a very capable overclocking motherboard that i bought when i originally built this system. I was looking at a cheap way to get some extra life out of this system for another couple of years. 8 threads was pretty much a necessity for that. I have a GTX 1070 which I managed to swindle EVGA out of during a fraudulent RMA process but hey, its within EU consumer policy so I'm not in the wrong.

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying an OC i7, 1070 and 16gb of fast ram would be sufficient for the next couple of years.

Not sure what an HMD is, but I certainly do NOT have a good PC. Mine is absolute dog shit.

I think you could get $500ish.
Craigslist or letgo.
Don't use ebay, it's full of scammer buyers.

So at least 60fps? sure. But not a lot higher, especially as Nvidia stopped optimizing Pascal in newer games.

Search Ebay for similar products, check the average pricing for both and price yours just slightly under, set a buy now price for a quick sale (there are loads of people who just want to buy something quickly and can't be bothered to wait hours/days during some shitty bidding process). You'd be surprised at how expensive older Intel processors are now so you should still be able to get a nice buck for that processor. Can't say the same for the 1060 3gb though.

Head Mounted Display, aka VR headset. You need to pick one of those first, considering they can be pretty expensive, and the resolution differs a lot between HMDs. The older ones like the Rift or the Vive have fairly low resolutions, but newer ones like the Index or Odyssey+ have a lot higher res that will require a beefier graphics card.

Don't forget you can also pick up the Quest, which doesn't require a powerful PC, but I'm not sure that you can load/sideload VR Chat on it.

I've priced up the best build I can get within budget for my usage and am wondering if there are going to be any dimension or PCIE limits to my prospective build, could you help a brother out?

pcpartpicker.com/list/3y4MLJ

I was planning on getting the newest model of the Oculus Rift.

Well the i5 I had (when not bottlenecking my GPU) was still able to get really high 100+ framerates in games like Hitman 2 and BFV. It was only when I'd play missions like India in Hitman 2 where the processor couldn't handle the sheer amount of NPCs and would tank my fps from 100 to sub 60. The 8 threads should hopefully alleviate that issue. I don't think I will have any problems with this 1070 especially concerning driver optimizations.

Best Mini-itx case? I like being discreet. I kind of think the one that’s just a glass panel and everything is exposed looks good? Anyone have any experience? Seems like a good way to keep everything cool

pcpartpicker.com/list/4jWtP3
what should i change? 700$ budget

Never mind him, he's just part of the Intel / Nvidia doom crowd. If you had any AMD components, he'd be praising your good consumer sense

That HMD has a 1440p screen, so you're looking at an RTX 2060 at minimum but preferably something more powerful. The next thing you have to decide is whether you want to buy now or in a month when new CPUs and graphics cards come out.

yes you should be aware that the 4790k can with certain mobos get very hot. I forget if its just the vii maximus hero or not but it may be just that board.

there is an easy fix though and is detailed in this link rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57357-For-anyone-who-has-a-4790k-running-hot-here-is-the-fix-that-worked-for-me

Malwarebytes and Avast run fine on Windows 7. What the fuck is wrong with you that you think EOL = nonfunctional? There's other reasons for running old OSes, Jesus Fuck.

Oh ok I see it now.

I have an MSI mobo but thanks I'll keep this in mind.

>1060 does perfectly fine for 1080p60
>considering 1660(ti) just because it sounds and looks nicer as a number
>2070 also feels like a much nicer number than 2060
>tfw autism

Kit of 2x 8GB 3200CL16 RAM. Otherwise seems fine
pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

My rig is very old but I have enough cash to upgrade either the CPU/Mobo/RAM or GPU but probably not both unless they're both very cheap. I'd like to know which one will be more of a benefit for around $500. I'm not too sure how much better a modern CPU will be in particular because of how overclocked mine is.

Current setup:
>Intel i5 2500k @4.2ghz with a coolermaster evo 212+
>2x4gb DDR3 RAM (corsair vengeance I think)
>Gigabyte GTX 760 2gb

I use a single 1680x1050 monitor and mostly use the PC for gaming. I like to play heavily modded Bethesda games as well as MMOs such as WoW, BDO and OSRS (the most graphically intense of the lot I'm sure you'll agree). I value 60fps very highly but don't much care about going beyond it. Cheers Jow Forumsents.

Does anyone know how the 3800x will perform in emulation vs 9900k? CEMU, RPCS3, Yuzu, Citra etc. whatever is more demanding or traditionally favours Intel.

RX 570 + used i7 2600K ~ 220
RX 570 + R5 2600/B450/2x8GB RAM ~ 500

Please help!

$500 is a lot of cash if you're patient and are willing to spend a couple weeks searching through used deals to get the most bang for your buck. It depends on what you think will benefit you the most though, for example you could spend $300 of that $500 on upgrading to a full next gen ryzen processor (or Intel if that's your preference), mobo and 16gb DDR4. Alternatively you could spend $300 of that $500 on a brand new modern graphics card like a 1660 ti which would easily allow 60 fps at high settings in nearly all games you can play at 1080p.
Or what you could do (and this is what I'd personally do) is find a used i7 2600k, pick up another 2x4gb of DDR3 (same models you have now for best compatibility) and that should come out at around $150-200. You'd be left with $300-350 to spend on a graphics card and I'd recommend looking for a used older gen graphics card like a 1070 ti for example. I know they were going for $250 at one point but I'm not sure right now. That would allow you to play at 1080p60 at ultra for a good few years yet.

> I have a GTX 1070 which I managed to swindle EVGA out of during a fraudulent RMA process but hey, its within EU consumer policy so I'm not in the wrong.
>I skirted the law and found a loophole to steal the production of others.
You deserve your 4 cores.
I hope for many more intel security patches, low cache stuttering and the adoption of 6 core minimum with console releases.

Attached: eddie-izzard-750.jpg (750x563, 83K)

Also monitor seems pretty overpriced

>Budget
>2000+
Your build is retarded and your being ignored cause you look like a troll.

Should I invest in an RTX 2060 Super if I have a 1070 and I'm using a 1080p 144hz monitor? Are mATX cases acceptable?

But my budget is 2000 + and I have all the components I require... I want to know if my components are compatible with the mobo considering the 4 different SSD drives and if the GPU/power supply/cooler will fit in the case I chose
Why would this be a troll I have chosen my parts precisely for my purposes.
Why would spending > 2000$ be trolling when that is my budget...

My old 900 series card couldn't even run within spec and I had to downclock it to actually get it to run games without black screening after 2 minutes and it actually pissed me off because it was a high end FTW model. I googled around and apparently it was a dodgy bios or something and EVGA would just flash a new one and send it back. I didn't want that because I wasn't happy with the product so I complained about the black screen problems and got the RMA accepted but I broke off one of those small transistors at the back of the card and whilst the card would boot up, it wouldn't display an image. Also because 900 series was EOL and Pascal was out they'd be forced to replace my card and they ended up replacing it for free with a 1070. It was completely within the law what I did, though I guess immoral. They pissed me off though because I had nothing but issues with that card and I actually thought my PC was broken for like a year because I couldn't diagnose the issue for ages. I thought it was faulty ram or my processor was dying etc. I got my satisfaction from it in the end.

>invest
ya buy 1000 of them they will be worth 10% more within a quarter

Seems like a troll because the build is awful as fuck and a waste of money when you could get the same/better performance next month for like half the cost

checked

>awful as fuck
Why is it awful as fuck...? I have no desire for AMD because the work I do exceptionally favours Intel if that is what you're getting at?
Can someone just help me with the question about size dimensions and memory compatibility?

When is ETA for ddr5?

I'm deciding between getting a used 9900k for 385 or a used 9700k for 320, which one do you guys think I should go with? It's gonna be a upgrade for my current rig running a 4790k and I'm gonna mainly use it for gaming at 1080p 144hz

Virtually nothing favors Intel, not even Adobe Premiere, anymore. More evidence you're just trolling, like the other user guessed.

That's not much cheaper than a 3800X for a much worse chip.

2 years. And that's not mainstream btw.

What's wrong with the i7? That should be more than sufficient for your needs. An i7 4c/8t doesn't even bottleneck a 2080 ti according to RedGamingTechs video on YouTube about it. I think Hardware Unboxed did one on a 4790k as well and it was fine. Just overclock that shit and save your money for an actual relevant upgrade like an upcoming 16c ryzen (or Intel if they actually release one at good value) or spend it on actual vidya.

>An i7 4c/8t doesn't even bottleneck a 2080 ti according to RedGamingTechs video on YouTube about it.
Depends on what games you play.
Even the 9700k bottlenecks the 2080Ti at 1080p in Kingdom Come Deliverence. An old 4c/8t struggles to even do 30fps at some parts.

If a tester cherry picks games that aren't very CPU bound, then yeah of course.
You could do the same test of ONLY games which want at least 8c/16t and deem that the "i7 always bottlenecks a 2080Ti"

>RTX 2060 Super if I have a 1070
No, not enough of a performance uplift

>components I require precisely for my purposes
Mmhmm, myes, post poipuses mhmm yes

At those prices, 9900K. But if you're just gaming and you already have an i7 4790K, wait on Ryzen 3000 reviews

>Kingdom Come Deliverence
Seems like a garbage, poorly coded game then.

>cherry picks
Oh the ironing. Are you really oblivious enough to not understand that's what you're doing now?

pcpartpicker.com/list/nYmDGG
Thoughts on which card to pair for this build? I will be running gaymes at 1920x1200, only care about keeping a steady 60FPS in most titles

All Digital Audio Workstations significantly favour Intel
>AORUS Z390
i want 3 m.2 SSD drives, at least a 4th SSD and the potential for expanding in the future
>256 gb m.2 drive
for OS and Ableton Live
>1tb m.2 drive
for kontakt libraries
>1tb m.2 drive
for audio samples
>500gb SATA drive
for misc. storage in the future
>RTX 2070
because in the future i will probably play a game once in a while, i got the AORUS because it would be the "best" match for the mobo (im guessing)

My work is confined by real time processing, not clocks or core speeds and therefore any requests to Windows by other devices will stall the CPU while it deals with the request, this causes latency and drop outs. The issue comes with ASIO audio drivers and Intel is shown to massively beat AMD in this very specific execution of RTP.

Right now considering the AMD announcements and expectations I agree it would in nearly every situation be favourable to go, or at least wait for the new AMD stuff, however in my circumstance that is absolutely not the case. I am not trolling. I just don't know much about building computers and want to know if the parts I have chosen are compatible.

youtube.com/watch?v=eIoAlEV2IK0
youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

These two videos detail exactly my points and besides that, it is well known that certain VST's do not support AMD. For me, as much as I would like to get a 3950, AMD is not an option.

Please can I get some help now?

>No, not enough of a performance uplift
That's what I thought. I always wait at least two gens before upgrading cards.
Should I opt for a new monitor then? Any good prices on 1440p high refresh rate upgrades?

>>components I require precisely for my purposes
>Mmhmm, myes, post poipuses mhmm yes
I'm actually laughing outloud.

>worse

I hope you do know that intel will still outperform it in games right? PBO tech raises the clocks on 1-2 cores for a sec or 2 at say 4.6 ghz and then downclocks itself for temp constraints. The IPC might be there but raw niggerhertz will still triumph. all core for the 8 core might be only 4.2ghz constant.

I need an MATX case. Got any recommendations, /pcbg/?

Attached: milf hunter.jpg (1080x607, 51K)

Are the benchmarks that favorable? I usually like to stay neutral and feel free to prove me wrong but from what I've seen Intel's chips for gaming almost always beat out AMDs even though their clocks and core counts are very similar, I'm not crapping on AMD though their chips are always a better value for productivity and the features for the new Ryzen boards are definitely tempting

I get what you're saying but most of the games I play are cpu bound and I might also upgrade to 1440p 144hz in the future where I'm thinking the CPU might be a bottleneck there