So what's the best way to apply thermal paste?

That Der8uer guy says you should coat every inch of your chip for max conductivity, says it makes a real difference as opposed to the usual 'squeeze a pea sized amount in the middle and install the cooler'.

Attached: Thermal-Paste-10.png (635x441, 224K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just use toothpaste

I just got a 212 black edition and the nt-h1 paste so I figured I'd ask Jow Forums before using it. Usually used the pea method earlier.

Doesn't really matter unless you put a tiny amount or a huge fucking glob. A reasonable amount will be just as good within error margin of tests as trying to do different tricks.

Steve from gayniggers tested and found practically no difference between different amounts of paste.

>cuck8auer

For normal use or moderate overclocking, it does not matter. The only way you can fuck up is not using it at all. I recommend the dot method, you really don't need to worry too much. Putting too much on could cause it to spill and coat the socket (not typically serious, but still an unnecessary risk and more cleanup).

I found a big study of loads of different application methods and the end result was: it doesn't matter

>Mixing brands

Woah woah.
Don't attempt to do this, it will short-circuit your PS/2 port and AGP port.

I've seen a few test that confirm the same thing.

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

based

Manually applying it evenly before installation will ensure all of the chip is covered but the paste will still get squashed and try to flow no matter how thin you think your application is. If it's all over the die it will interfere with itself and trap air. If it's squashing out a glob from the center it will distribute much more cleanly but will probably miss the corners. All in all it's a wash. It doesn't even matter if you use too much and it makes a mess so long as it's nonconductive and won't become conductive over time, because that interface between chip and cooler once fastened down is only going to allow so much paste to exist between them no matter what.

Squeeze a generous amount of paste on the tip of your penis and rub your cock over the top of your processor.
Penis is much more sensitive than your finger, so it is much easier to control the thickness of the paste layer.
Such technique will help you make a perfectly even thermal paste layer.
You are welcome.

Missing the corners wouldn't matter if it did happen. The IHS is bigger than it needs to be, and serves to allow for some mistakes to be made.
Non-conductive products can still be capacitive (and a bitch to clean).

The fact that the thermal interface exists at all and gives the heat a stable path is the majority of the battle already won.
>smiley face
>it's not even that bad
Magnificent.

FYI that's not true, human fingers are extremely sensitive to uneven surfaces

I hope you reapply it every week.

Personally my only priority would be to avoid air bubbles forming because thermal paste is spreading somewhere from opposite directions. So no double lines or four dots or spirals or circles. I think in the past I've always done centered peas, but after looking at the Puget Systems link I'm gonna try an X the next time.

Attached: 37468.jpg (555x555, 194K)

What if you have a small blob in the middle, like normal, and four very, very small ones just beside the corners? Then everything's covered.

make sure before you install the cpu to cover all the pins with thermal paste than put the cpu in and put a huge blob and cover the entire cpu make sure to get the motherboard now you want to get some on your graphics card so disassemble and rub it all across the entire card and then put it together and you sould be fine then keep some for lube later so you can jack off to your anime waifu

Your cpu cooler should come with thermal paste pre applied to it.

However it's good pc building to have an extra tube around and apply extra to the cpu before attaching your cpu cooler to it.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (259x388, 23K)

I remember being a n00b who had a box of a case with just one fan and a stock Phenom series cooler, my PC would heat the fuck up and shut down all the time and I'd have to disconnect it, carry it to my AC unit and then cool the whole thing down
now I've had a HAF 912 since 2013 with 7 fans in there and temps are god tier.

Seems like they'd still flow into each other or just not reach each other at all and cause air gaps in the shape of hyperbolas.

I don't think aftermarket coolers come with pre applied paste, with this Hyper 212 Black it has a separate tube of paste which you can apply yourself.

>HAF 912

Mee too. Awesome case.

The sink will spread the paste fuck.

why would you get a 212
its shit

cope more, it's great. I currently have the regular 212 with the paste that came with it and it keeps my 8700 at 37c on idle in hot weather, never exceeds 62c at load.

Since only retards use paste these days and you're obviously not one, yes coating the whole chip with a q-tip and the copper or nickel surface of the heatsink too, with liquid metal of course.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

Just cum on the CPU bro.

watch this

Attached: thermal paste.webm (1920x1080, 2.01M)

It's physically impossible to put too much because the excess willl be squeezed out.
Put as much as will cover your chip, in fact go ahead and fill in the surrounding area to increase surface area. Just make sure the paste is non conductive if you do.