Nix general

Why are you not letting nix do your job for you Jow Forums?

what is nix?: nixos.org/nixos/nix-pills/why-you-should-give-it-a-try.html
getting started: nixos.org/nixos/manual/
discord: discord.gg/sAJNxGG

Attached: anime_girl_background.png (1920x1080, 533K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nixos.org/nix-dev/2017-March/023113.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It doesn't follow the UNIX philosophy

i hope they can focus a bit more on usability of nix
nix-env is painfully slow

I use it, and it's great. Declarative package management is a god-send.

Attached: 1358818071220.gif (640x360, 960K)

we're there dude, *ix brothers

Attached: 1557791839475-g.png (1212x1374, 1005K)

nix-env -q doesn't cache, use `nix-env -Ai ` to see packages from cache.

I have a much better strategy - I will pack each executable in a separate docker container so everything will be orchestrated properly

placing every file in a separate directory with a sha checksum in its name is an inferior approach.

>nix
>uses systemdicks
>guix
>autistically forbids packages like Steam
Which one is easier to fix/work around?
>inb4 games are for children
My work/study thinkpad is rock stable on Void so I barely even need to consider switching anything, regardless of how nice it is in abstract theoretical terms. What I'd want the whole declarative thing for is my main desktop, plus the ability to then centralise my config across both.

> a freedom oriented distro won't OFFICIALLY package a non-free botnet
wow
they didn't ban it, just package it yourself if you're such a gamerfag. I wouldn't move my ass to package botnet either

Maybe using Nix or Guix on your favorite non-systemd distro could work. Both are in the Gentoo Testing repos, for example. Guix also needs half a dozen Guile packages from Testing, so Nix might be the better option if you're on Gentoo Stable and want to install as few Testing packages as possible.

It is recommended to run the install script for guix, instead of repo packages

anyone uses nixos here? if so, for how long and how has the experience been so far? I'm planning on translating my arch setup into a configuration.nix and finally switching to it this weekend

also tips would be highly appreciated

Nixos has steam I play games on it all the time. Also nix solves the problems with systemd (unless you care about the NSA backdoor).

Attached: asian-woman-enjoy-herself-using-laptops-internet-asian-woman-enjoy-herself-using-laptops-internet-10 (1300x958, 83K)

I've been using nixos for 4 months now and use it as build system for my work. Its been very pleasant and much less work than Arch as the config is write once.

A major tip would be to just use a layer over nix-env which provides caching when searching packages, or use the tab complete. Oh and just use nix-env to install things if you don't want to recompile your system its chill af.

>wow
I never said I was surprised. I wish it weren't freedom-oriented, because Stallman's definition is shitty and non-free repos can always be separated out.
Exactly how well does this work? I imagine the guix distro is more than just a basic ass Linux base with guix on top. Without the guix distro as such and using let's say Gentoo as base because I do have it installed in fact, will everything really just werk?
>solves the problems with systemd
Does it solve the bloated slow booting, making it actually fast like say runit? Does it solve the hardcoded google DNS, making it actually stop resolving if you don't configure resolvers? Does it solve Poettering saying rm should delete . and .. and that's not a bug, and how this attitude applies to the entire development in general?
That's just off the top of my head some reasons that don't have anything to do with NSA backdoors. I'm not here to shit on systemd, I'm genuinely curious what you meant by nix "solving the problems with it".

Systemd its retarded config file system, nix only solves configuration or build related issues here. You should be able to use nix fine without systemd there are projects to achieve a nixos without systemd too: nixos.org/nix-dev/2017-March/023113.html

Oh, installing Nix right now then.

>nix
>uses systemdicks
Nix doesn't. NixOS does.
>guix
>autistically forbids packages like Steam
Guix doesn't. The Guix official repos do.
>inb4 games are for children
Yes, video games are in fact for children. Grow the fuck up already, or just install wine. It runs all games worth playing anyway.

>have to install a package to change the appearance of SDDM because config files no longer exist
No thanks.

would be GOAT if it used its own init system instead of systemd

What's with all the nix shilling these past few weeks?

it's the next big meme, all the cool kids are using it
Get on with the times old man