Is it our /(g)processor?

Is it our /(g)processor?

Attached: qwe_download.jpg (678x678, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/intro.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh man, I've got one of those in a Power PC Mac that picked up not to long ago for shits, and its a fucking dog.
PPC 601e, 160Mhz, but it runs at about the speed of a Pentium 90Mhz since it has so little cashe and god awful floating point operation. The FPU is so slow I had to look up that it wasn't being done in microcode or not (Marathon at 640x480 runs at like 10 fps).
Its a AWFUL chip. The "G3" line of PPC computers (PowerPC 7xx) was the first actual good PPC chip. Those had like 70% more IPC and rivaled the IPC of Pentium 2/3

Ah yes. The G4 is my favorite and the only apple product that I like
It all turned to shit 2008+

yes

No.

Attached: XC68020_top_p1160084.jpg (1689x999, 181K)

yes.

Sure it wasn't a 603? 601s were generally on-par with Pentiums and a little faster for floating-point in every comparison I've seen, plus I've never seen one clock that high.

603s were lower-cost chips released to compete with Pentiums, while the 604s claimed to compete with Pros.

Why not a modern POWER CPU?

raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/intro.html

Cost of motherboard + 4 core POWER9 CPU is $1279.99. A little pricey, but it has no Intel backdoors!

PowerPC is neat, but nobody is developing software for the arch any longer. Compare hobbyist development of software for Windows XP, compared to that of Tiger, or Leopard. It's not even close.

no we're alpha chads

Attached: dec.png (2334x726, 49K)

my preorder still hasn't shipped :-(

Attached: sad_osaka.jpg (480x360, 9K)

Used this cpu in my Amiga back in mid 2000 shit it was trash

This is Jow Forumsprocessor Based PowerPC 970

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x360, 64K)

that would be SPARC

Honestly
Sparc had so much potential, I wish they were still interested in continuing it

What a fag, he didn't have a 604e

This smoked intel and AMD back in 2007. It's a shame that Sony switched to x86

Attached: ps3-cell-processor-cover-image.jpg (966x300, 60K)

Alpha is truly the freeest green-pastures-roaming architecture of them all.

Have you seen the memory model of the arch?

603e was pretty legit back in the day. Top end 604e could run stuff in VirtualPC faster than a Pentium 233.

You're right, double checking it its actually a 603e I've got (is in a Power Macintosh 6400)
Basically on paper the chip is competitive but in practice it's anything but.
The 7xx PPC chips though were very competitive.

Since intel has been messing up lately, perhaps its time for Apple to return to IBM PowerPC

Nobody uses Apple for real work anymore. These days they are Facebook machines, not Photoshop machines. It makes more sense for them to go to ARM for low power. Form factor and battery life are all more important to Apple than performance.

Cell sucked and was build on a flawed notion that they would eventually be able to link multiple systems together to function as one but the bandwidth+latency issue was never resolved.
Crazy that internally the cores speak to each other with the IP protocol, hence the name "Broadband engine".

I still have a 400MHz PowerMac and it runs like a fuckin' champ on OS9. Granted, around the G3-Early G4 era PPC was equivalent to a x86 cpu of about double the clock speed, so a 400MHz PPC ran kinda like an 800MHz x86. Well, more like 777MHz

I disagree. I say 2010. Now hear me out: *early* Mac mini C2D was decent because everything but the CPU was use replaceable and the price was right (brand new they could be had for under $600 USD and you could easily max it out with off-the-shelf parts instead of paying 4x as much for RAM and storage) and because the only other consumer grade desktop from Apple was the iMac, you could get an even better non-apple display for a mini and max it out and still come out around $2500 less than a fully loaded iMac.

Their laptops have always been shit post P-P-P-P-P-Powerbook

MIPS is best ISA.

Attached: KL_NEC_VR10000.jpg (1395x1386, 329K)

An entry level ARM Macbook 12 inch is not bad for a starting price of $700.

What extra stuff is going on for XP? It seems like the interest is about the same, both have projects to maintain browsers and some package repositories for newer development tools. XP of course will get a little more since a lot of software made for newer Windows versions will still run on it, where PPC got shafted by the Intel switch.

I need to port some benchmarks over to System 7 to see how my 604e/200 StarMax does against a dual Pro/200. I kind expect the latter to shit all over it since they're 512K cache models but I think the 604 does pretty well clock-for-clock in FP.
The first 603s were supposedly garbage due to having tiny caches, but if you had a 6400 it sounds like you should have at least a 180 MHz 603e that doubled those caches, weird. I can't remember where I heard the Pentium-equivalent claims from though, I think it was from Motorola/IBM marketing material. So I guess you can toss that one out the window.
The guy who replied to you is a retard but he's right. PPC is done and architecture in general really doesn't matter anymore like it used to. The jump from the G4/G5 to Core/Core 2 was immediately noticeable in everyday applications especially on laptops with pretty much a tangible doubling in performance.

Nowadays you'd get maybe 10-20% more on some select application that was already plenty fast on a POWER9 Mac Pro, or an extra hour or so of battery life on an ARM MacBook over previous models that already lasted pretty much a full work day anyway.

based

Toy.

Plebs, plz go.

Attached: Compaq21364C-PROTO-P2.jpg (605x580, 76K)