How people in the 1990s imagined the present

Why was everyone so optimistic towards technology in the 1990s and so doom and gloom about it today?
Did we open a pandora box and only now realized what we have gotten into?

Or was just it just a more optimistic time in general?

youtu.be/-9uXAqTlWvI
youtu.be/JBEtPQDQNcI
youtu.be/4PJcABbtvtA
youtu.be/yFWCoeZjx8A

Attached: lead_large.jpg (615x384, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Tx6TYnPat8
youtube.com/watch?v=vPzDTfIb0DU
youtube.com/watch?v=UErKNKVE1rU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Technologies Progresses
>No nuclear destruction happened
>dictators fell

>Why was everyone so optimistic towards technology in the 1990s and so doom and gloom about it today?
9/11 / war on terro and then teh financial crash

>>Or was just it just a more optimistic time in general?
it was, but I think it was more to do with the fact that the two twin scourges of the modern internet, governments and ad companies, hadn't really figured out how to use the internet yet.

technological progress slowed down after the 70s but people only started to realize it recently
saying the 90s was more optimistic is just an ameritarded point of view, while they were still living in their bubble before 9/11

Technological progress hasn't slowed down and the 1990s were more optimistic everywhere, unless you lived in East Europe / Russia (Aftermath of Soviet collapse) or Africa.

I'm not American btw.

Attached: Calculations-per-Second-per-1000-Exponential-Growth-of-Computing-for-110-years-Kurzweil.png (802x540, 147K)

Those are just Kondratiev wave stages. We're stagnating now. Read Schumpeter.

Attached: 1537838175797.jpg (693x788, 168K)

if all you do is watch adverts from massive corporations, of course you're going to think everyone was positive about future-tech.

the internet at least was overhyped in all the same ways television and radio were

>Why was everyone so optimistic towards technology in the 1990s and so doom and gloom about it today?
because everyone was thinking the emphasis on progress would be tech, science, etc. but unfortunately we had a communist revolution so now the "progress" is centered around communist religious tenets like diversity, equality, gender whatever, race, etc. we honestly would have had that future if it wasnt for leftists.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Tx6TYnPat8

Anyways, I expected many things we already had, like the internet, to just become more widespread. Same with mobile phones, I expected they will merge with PDAs, it just made sense.

Attached: 1537584600707.jpg (750x750, 84K)

>Why was everyone so optimistic towards technology in the 1990s
Huh?
90's literally produced the film "the matrix" and albums like pic.
You're talking about the 80's.

Attached: 91eIIIfAlSL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 331K)

>but isn't there something better
>shills "unscratchable" disk that holds over compressed and over quantised songs nothing like the analog tapes
>people still buy records because it is analog and not quantised

kek

The 90's were hugely optimistic in East Europe and Russia. Everyone was happy after the Soviet collapse.
Growing up in East Europe at the time, instantly when the Iron Curtain fell, computers, VHS players, CD players, cassette decks game consoles started flooding in from Germany, Sweden, Finland, etc. Sometimes really cheaply as it was "for support" and usually didn't cost much in the origin country.

The local market lagged behind for a while but external market influence was huge.

Plus even though being a Soviet bloc country, we already had things like Amigas or consoles pre-fall in the late 80's.

I don't think there were many places that felt as optimistic and huge sudden technological progress than Eastern Europe and western Russia.

That's more the fault of mastering than the media. Tapes or records can have the same problems, it just happened that the time over the loudness wars happened at the merger of the CD, but other media was affected as well for a huge part.

>blaming "leftists" when neocons are squarely responsible for everything in this thread
10/10 holy fuck I'm mad

Not too far off but we just need more AI to get to that vision.

TBQFH, I'd be more concerned that fashion hasn't progressed much since 1993.

Digital audio is great for quantising music in order to transfer it as data and for reducing background noise.
But they don't produce the same soundwave as a master tape. Only a record can do that.
We need improvements in producing consumer analog formats. The best we can do is just quantise it more and more, but this may produce it's own artefacts that are absurdly different to the original master when played on certain devices.
On record, the only real artefact is the dust on the record and the scratch. I've heard that laser record players exist. If so, then that is the future if they can avoid quantisation.

Dubai looks exactly like this. Only its a dystopian place. You cant have such a society without also having no freedoms.

>dictators fell
But our system is the dictator now.
Even the architect is enslaved by it.

Attached: 1 OlY_7egaXZYKJu3QZYmANA.jpg (840x348, 81K)

People didn't have freedoms in the 80's and 90's too. I mean the music of the time used the theme of "hell" for good reason. It was hell.
Today is just a worse hell because it's become far more complicated and detailed.

>need more AI to get to that vision
AI will eventually get to the point where they become massive and uncooperative with each other.
The reality of our universe was misjudged in the past when we thought AI would just make it quicker or simpler. Everything has just become more complex. New issues emerged.

>The 90's were hugely optimistic in East Europe and Russia.
Were they?
The soviet collapse was part of the world systematic collapse. Accelerationism which is arguably a natural phenomenon we're now fighting.

the cloud will turn AI into one, then we are really eff'd

>Why was everyone so optimistic towards technology in the 1990s
no trannies and niggers
>so doom and gloom about it today?
trannies and niggers

>the cloud will turn AI into one
No they won't.
People are always second guessing themselves let alone agreeing with each other.
Error is simply a natural phenomenon we're never going to overcome.

Attached: goat is waiting until you least expect him.png (800x450, 595K)

>People didn't have freedoms in the 80's and 90's too.
You don't know what you are talking about. The skyscrapers of that city were built by literal slaves, and by freedoms, you could literally be put in jail if you find yourself unemployed or unable to pay your bills. Only the rich can survive there and live a good life, and European technocrats being contracted to direct the building of the city. A true futuristic place would be more like every family being able to have their own land and live comfortably in a homogeneous society with little crime. Oh.. wait.. we HAD this.....

Side products of technology and media saturation.

>Oh.. wait.. we HAD this.....
underage.

Matrix is from 1999.
The early 1990s were very optimistic.

And now we long for the 80s nostalgia with neon lit streets because we did not get the future we once dreamt. It looks like we are going back to 1984.

Attached: Akira.gif (500x254, 2.71M)

instead of flying cars we got muslim transexuals

future is instagram and macbooks

right, because people just walk around the store with their flip phone opened in their grocery cart.

>(((>dictators fell)))

Grunge was early 90s...
The economy was awful.

underb&

>muslim transexuals
Pls be a thing.

Attached: 1548389699744.jpg (480x472, 25K)

Nah, the 20s is going to be chav core and suburban slums.

>Never read any books by William Gibson or Neil Stevenson.
Every generation has its cynics and optimists.

every concept art for 30 years into the future somehow assumes that every single building in current cities will be torn down to build a new one

But the details grow with each generation. The previous gens cynics are not the same as todays.
And arguably the growing detail and mental strain on humans increases the cynicism to the point of nihilism.

Killer movie with a great soundtrack.

we have the technology to create all the wondrous things we imagined we would have by today, but theres too much centralization and too little entrepreneurship (aiming big and trying stuff, not creating a startup just for the purpose of selling it in a couple of years)

Iran's full of them.

Which is ok if it's my concept art.
But seriously, progress is an eternal fight with the universal tendency to decay or the boredom with stagnation or the nostalgia for the past or simply "because I want to".

Attached: 1527157458774.jpg (676x581, 75K)

Didn't Alex the Great have an iranian trap waifu (male)?

retard, i was alive in the 90s, we didn't imagine it like that. we also didnt imagine it like reality but who cares

nah, I always told myself back then adult life would be worth living once I could get muh flying car. now look at us....

My childhood memories of the 90's was basically everyone hating our world.
I wonder if you could understand what that is like. Suddenly your brought into a life and everyone around you wants to die.
It has never stopped being strange for me.

What's stranger is seeing a time in the past where people wanted to live desperately to the point of total war. It's almost alien to me.

Attached: 1540751961754.png (341x444, 212K)

I was alive during the 1990s too. You didn't imagine it because you were a normie pleb, but people in the tech industry did.

Just like today people in the know are experimenting with optical computers, matter transmission, thorium reactors and god knows what else.

neocons are responsible for some wars, leftists responsible for some other wars. wars develop tech at a significant pace. shifting culture, academia, and funding onto gender and social justice nonsense does not advance tech whatsoever. leftist religious shit slows down tech advancement. not sure what stupidity youre trying to utter.

No blacks.

on the contrary, we told you you would become the minority

We were supposed to have flying cars by now.
>t.1991 boomer

>magnetic levitation cars
NOT ON MY WATCH!

Attached: WEB-wo24-egypt-salman.jpg (1200x675, 133K)

I dunno. There is a lot more cynicism in upper management. Apple seems to be at least highlighting privacy and security in it's last showroom.
Microsoft seems to be starting to do the same.

There's a realisation that we need some confidentiality in our system or we can't deal with some certain problems.
It's a hard thing to balance.
>but electronics need oil too

Very few idiots made such bold predictions about the future of society with all the 1950s scifi bullshit. Most of it was more grounded

what the fuck are kids being taught these days? where do they learn politics? in Jow Forums?
what alternative world is this?

>1990s
>no trannies and niggers
wut

>fluff fallacy post with zero argument
thats your second one in a row. maybe third times the charm?

>>fluff fallacy post with zero argument
I'm not even arguing, and I'm not gonna spoonfeed retards

>thats your second one in a row
paranoia is a fucked up thing, m8. I know because I suffer it, too, but at least I know what's the source of mine (it is my job)

Realities of costs, tech debt and higher wage expectations happened. The future was doomed to look mostly as it did then and today.

I thought there was a massive wave of that shit in the early 90's.
youtube.com/watch?v=vPzDTfIb0DU

At least head mgmt is now considering the issue in a way that renders it also a threat to the entire economy and their own corporate interests.
You need people to buy your shit.

I'd say 9/11 happened. The optimism of the 90s died when that faggot Bush decided hey lol let's give the glow niggers all the money in the world and also they don't need to follow laws either anymore.

Unironically
Niggers happened

That definitely accelerated the cynicism, though people have been worried about data collection since the 50's.

Sure there was always concern but nothing accelerated it like american post 9/11 politics.
I just wish we would go back to pre 9/11 flying instead of giving random people colonoscopies holding everything up because they look vaguely like they could be from the middle east.

When you sit in front of your computer watching redpill videos for 12 hours straight you can't do anything but blame the Jew. I genuinely feel bad for these spergs, so much to learn out there but all they do is listen to paranoid garbage.

I love the irony in all those redpill videos being the ultimate bluepill.

>How people in the 1990s imagined the present
>How the present actually turned out to be

Attached: 1507724464950.jpg (720x960, 131K)

I'm too young to understand what that was even like. First air flight I went on was in 2004 and that was about the same as it is today.

The internet was new, the most innovative and revolutionary invention of the 20th century. People had no idea it would be weaponized as a sociopolitical tool for antagonization.

Why are there like 3 random clown wigs?
Are we being invaded by clowns?
Will we have lewd clowns in the future?
I need answers.

Attached: 1559064364935_2.png (2800x2900, 2.38M)

Before 9/11 around here you could literally bring friends with you into the boarding area say goodbye and directly walk onto the plane.
Nowadays everything is locked down out the arse and seeing police patrol with Kevlar and semi automatic MP5s isn't even usual anymore because people became more and more paranoid even though literally nothing at all happened in 2 decades in this country.
We unironically live in the worst timeline and I still don't get why Europe followed the Americans bullshit.

>People had no idea it would be weaponized as a sociopolitical tool for antagonization.
I disagree. The mainstream media was being attacked by arts for a long time.
Why did the arts stop doing that though? Like in the mid 00's it just stopped and suddenly music criticising TV, etc just became a fringe thing and bland modern mainstream music was promoted instead.
Obviously money issues perhaps with piracy.

Fuck off.

pol pls

>literally nothing at all happened in 2 decades in this country
uh... have you even been watching any of the news the past decade and a half?
It's a legitimate concern in airports today. We're currently, and have been since 9/11, in a state of hysteria. Why do you think things got so bad since?

>A true futuristic place would be more like every family being able to have their own land and live comfortably in a homogeneous society
Or not living in a society because you got the fuck off earth asap.

Futurists are always mongs.
They thought it would solve every single problem ever.
Instead it only created more problems.
And on top of that, devices are cheap pieces of shit that break down because of HEALTH risk (RoHS, fuck off RoHS), yet these things fail so much more and the pollution caused my the massive increase in making devices to replace these cheap pieces of shit has more than outweighed getting rid of lead in electronics! Far fucking outweighed it!
That's not even getting in to the landfills and dealing with the transport of said trash. Fuck.

Then you have shit like Windows and Android, spying on everything you do and treating the user like a fucking monglord spergtastic fucktard.
Interfaces designed for literal children.
More and more aiming to be one task and one task only. Okay maybe two. (them trying to force that shit in Windows though, hyper kek, dumb cunts)
Then you have all these monumentally catastrophic bugs created through the cheapening of the technology markets.
People cutting corners and leading to shit like speculative execution rather than getting the FUCK away from x86 entirely
That architecture is hacks on hacks on hacks and finally they are being brought to the public eye.

Subscriptions everywhere as far as the eye can see.
Ads everywhere. Fucking pop-ups still in 2019.
Chargers blowing fucking phones and computers up.
Cables stealing your data.
Official hardware BLOWING UP IN YOUR POCKET.

Why do people hate technology now?
Idunnolol

It get's even worse though.
I'm not sure natural humans will be the future any more. Radiation is making me realise we really do need to think about altering our body.
But I like our complexion as is.

If we do alter things, then we're likely to be whiter and shinier than any white person today because people are that simple and like bright and shiny things.
I mean anglerfish don't use that light for a random reason. Light in contrast to a background stands out and interests things. It's nature.

I'm not american. And news are exactly the reason we got this shit in the first place.
But let's stay on American airports just to show how ridiculous this shit actually is. Aside from 9/11 can you name a single successful terrorist attack on an American airport in the last 20 years?
For my country there was a single ATTEMPT in the last 40 years.

>Futurists are always mongs. They thought it would solve every single problem ever.
Some did.
Others just thought it would be a ride. It still is.. but people are asking whether they want to remain on Mr Bones' Wild Ride

>Cables stealing your data.
wat

The issue now I suspect is hacking, not arabs hijacking planes physically.

I want off Mr Bones' Wild Ride but it just never stops.

Wrong "cables".

Attached: 1532875910713.jpg (500x378, 35K)

Well yeah and the greatest threat in that regard is once more the CIA and NSA purposefully keeping flaws hidden and not patching or disclosing them in case they "need them to attack a hostile foreign nation".
The three greatest threats to the US cyber security is the CIA, the NSA, and the countries retarded outdated infrastructure.

God's urge to masturbate is just too great user.
Mr Bones' Perpetual Orgasm is not as great as it seems perhaps.

Attached: wild ride.jpg (299x168, 13K)

Mr Bones is probably a tranny in programming socks riding a dildo disguised as a skeleton watching our suffering.

I don't get it. Was there some scandal with spy devices installed on cables or something?

"Oh man, I can't wait for nanotechnology to be used in the future! We'll have super immune systems that can fight off cancer!"
Instead all we got WAS cancer, chronic inflammation and other diseases. GG

Various cables have had spyware hardware literally right in the connectors.
They'll connect as multiple devices, act like a proper cable but secretly steal shit in the background then use your internet connection to send it off to the evil dirty hackers.
Shits actually really smart. They are very compact now.
I'll not be surprised if some of those thicker cables with fabric around them had some freeform computer. If not, only a matter of time before someone tries it.

Shits so fucked in intelligence it's probably difficult to distinguish the scope of the organisation.
I'd go further and call the intelligence of all states as one organisation to a degree.
It's a mess of secret treaties, other deals and compartmentalisation.

>tfw no qt skelly gf (male)

You know he meant cabals you bastard.

Attached: fetishlevels.jpg (720x596, 32K)

Fuck, are there any articles showing more details about that? I'm legit curious.

There was a quote that I think went something like the only thing saving us from bureaucracy is it's inefficiency.
The thing is most intelligence agencies (as far as we know) have that to a degree but the US ones with their own undisclosed courts deciding what is okay and what isn't without any supervision? We're just fucked living in the worst timeline. And I think you overestimate how much cooperation is going on between security agencies, or perhaps I am underestimating it who really knows since there is no way to check now is there.

>third fallacious fluff post with no argument
better luck next time i guess

Speaking of Mr Bones.
youtube.com/watch?v=UErKNKVE1rU