What the point of using Docker?

What the point of using Docker?

Attached: Docker_logo_011.0.png (1200x800, 26K)

Containerized applications. Use google next time.

if you're too stupid to set stuff up

the apologist answer:
for easy scalability
the real answer:
the industry wants to get rid of the ops part in devops and devs simply don't have the skillset to set up vms and install the required software, let alone manage the networking stuff.

so you can tell all of your faggy programmer friends you use docker

for actual engineers it is completely useless

Can you define scalability for me please. In the context of development.

If you want to deploy your app to an application server, but aren't lucky enough to be writing a Jakarta EE app, docker is a serviceable substitute.

>Containerized applications. Use google next time.

that is not a very sophisticated answer

One useful thing about docker is that you can distribute an application to anyone that has docker installed.
That is not useful for windows applications, that can be cramped into msi install files or other installers
It is however nice for non windows applications. Fx if you have a program that runs on python, you would have to install python, pip and multiple packages on the computer that is supposed to run it.
All that configuration can be bundled into the docker container, meaning that the user needs no configuration or installation of libraries to run it.
I use docker when I need to run microsoft sql server or net core applications on a linux VM within 2 minutes.

Docker also has a nice repository of docker images with countless systems, such as redmine (free jira), gitea (free bitbucket), jenkins (free team city), that can be pulled from the repo and run with exactly no configuration (except perhaps initial username and password and stuff like that), instead of pulling a github repo, downloading and installing the correct version of python, pip, ruby, libcurl, libccccc, C++ compiler, running make && make install (which wont work) and a fuckton of stuff you wont be able to make work unless you have a lot of experience with linux

tl;dr its like the python virtualenv, but for all programming languages and much more flexible

I love it. I use it to test software on different distros. Beats the shit out of VMs and chroots for customization and automation

Soooooooooo .... containerized applications.

>solve some problems
>create new problems

> what is Kubernetes

It's a new leaky abstraction to learn. New people learn it instead of the underlying OS and get really confused when the docker docs don't line up with reality.

Virtualized applications

Compartmentalization, obviously. Everythingvon on the system can change but the docker container stays the same. So it can deployed anywhere and anytime and theoretically just work.

There's a difference between run and compose but that's part of the mystery.

VM man bad
Docker man good

A miserable little pile of frustration

None
Use podman

What do you mean? That I can run arbitrary programs in Docker containers and not worry about a thing? I've heard that you should really run only trusted code in Docker.

Bing it!

Its shit and so is anyone using it.

> don't have the skillset
don't want to have the skillset

The thing about docker that's really stupid is you should only run trusted code, but you still have to specify all system resources to attach in the dockerfile. It's security theater.

Red pill me on podman

Abstracting network applications using less resources than a virtual machine basically, and get rid of the overhead of reinstalling all prerequisites when porting a container to other machines, for example, porting changes from a development to a production system, specially when each hour of downtime represents losses in thousands of dollars.

Attached: 1549814349917.png (700x490, 250K)

It’s another pile of dot files in another format to confuse normies. It’s basically a shitheap.

buzzword checklist

Never used it for deployment, but I've found it convenient for busting out a development environment and use it daily for this purpose. Quicker and easier to work with than using a VM desu.

>get rid of the overhead of reinstalling all prerequisites
By including a copy of them with each program that uses them?

easy as fuck environment configuration and deployment

>easy as fuck
Wew.