Can i trust them Jow Forums?

can i trust them Jow Forums?
quad9.net/
i dont want my dns to be 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (850x425, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/dns/redirecting-all-dns-requests-to-pfsense.html
iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-identity-theft-and-cybercrime
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

use opennic

why?

why?

wtf i hate DNSs now

Run your own resolver

how?

Welcome summer friends.

are you a child?

I been using quad9 happily for over a year.

Just use OpenDNS provided by your friends at Cisco

sure why not
t. ibm

why not cloudflare?
enlighten a user who is out of the loop on public DNS

>install BIND
>open dns port
>configure BIND to get unknown addresses from backbone DNS servers

collects data to sell
>people in the modern day still think free digital services exist

is that safe?

If you open the port locally on your home network, nobody else can see it. If you open it up to the internet, anyone can use it but its extremely unlikely that they will, and if you are seeing traffic from IPs you don't recognize then you can block them at the firewall. But if you mean is it safe from exploits? Yeah pretty much as long as you keep it updated, I seriously doubt anybody is willing to drop a zero day on your shitty DNS server.

you could also set up a port knocking feature that temporarily whitelists your IP on the firewall if you want to use it from your phone when you're out and about but that's a little neckbeard-y

No. The Global Cyber Alliance was a founding partner of Quad9 and the GCA was literally founded by the City of London police and a District Attorney in New York. You’d have to be a complete retard to trust them

they are pretty much a cia front end

Why would anyone open port 53 for incoming traffic?

Android phones will use Google DNS no matter what unless your firewall blocks it.

>Android phones will use Google DNS no matter what unless your firewall blocks it.
yikes didn't know that

>Using DNS
>Not memorizing IP addresses and using those to connect

>Why would anyone open port 53 for incoming traffic?
yeah maybe its not a good idea

Attached: 1540019360971.jpg (640x705, 43K)

Directly blocking 8.8.8.8 will likely break things on your phone. Instead you could just redirect all dns traffic to your own DNS server.

whats the easiest way to do this?

>Android phones will use Google DNS no matter what
im moving back to NOKIA

NAT rules. I use pfSense.
docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/dns/redirecting-all-dns-requests-to-pfsense.html

>>Android phones will use Google DNS no matter what

i don't think this is true.
i have a note 8 running the latest android os, Jow Forums is blocked by dns on the optus network (Australian)
however if use a dns changer to the google dns. Jow Forums will work.

>change it from Australia google to global google
i think i understand why android "open source" is trying so hard

>If you open the port locally on your home network, nobody else can see it. If you open it up to the internet, anyone can use it but its extremely unlikely that they will

Well as long as it's no telnet, or ssh, or http, or HTTPS or RDP

Yes

Chinamen and Russia are scanning all IPs for all open ports all the time.

use intra and direct it to your (public) dns server

I use dnscrypt.eu (since it's close geographically) and securedns, whichever has the lowest latency whenever I start up the system. Cloudflare as fallback.

in the context of DNS, its unlikely anyone will use it. also nice reddit spacing faggot

>Organizing your thoughts? Hah fag!

>source: my ass

transparent dns proxy are fun. Unless your isp uses one then its a fucking nuisance, which is why i have DoH enabled so my lookups don't take forever.

Historical precedents say you are incorrect. 2 of which are as far as we need to go. Those are, "yes," answers to the questions,

Has any company ever lied to its user base?
Has any government ever lied to its citizens?

The real question is , "How much should I give a shit about this?" and that answer will be up to you. The main thing I have a problem with is identity theft. The more a company knows about me and the more companies that know about me the more chance of identity theft occurring. The more inroads there are connected to my devices the more of a risk of something getting in for actual botnet or identify theft purposes. No one will give much of a shit about what you are up to online, aside from companies profiling you to better sell you things, but identify theft and theft of your money if a billion dollar criminal industry.

iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-identity-theft-and-cybercrime
>According to 2018 Identity Fraud: Fraud Enters a New Era of Complexity from Javelin Strategy & Research, in 2017, there were 16.7 million victims of identity fraud, a record high that followed a previous record the year before. Criminals are engaging in complex identity fraud schemes that are leaving record numbers of victims in their wake. The amount stolen hit $16.8 billion last year as 30 percent of U.S. consumers were notified exposure to a data breach last year, an increase of 12 percent from 2016. For the first time, more Social Security numbers were exposed than credit card numbers.

>Following the introduction of microchip equipped credit cards in 2015 in the United States, which make the cards difficult to counterfeit, criminals focused on new account fraud. New account fraud occurs when a thief opens a credit card or other financial account using a victim’s name and other stolen personal information. According to the Javelin study, account takeovers tripled in 2017 from 2016, and losses totaled $5.1 billion.

Attached: 1559245929676.gif (435x250, 1.05M)