VSCode is the new Emacs

No question about it.
>get tired of shit TeXStudio does sometimes with its autofills bugging out
>remember user mentioning he uses VSCode for Latex
>idk lol let's try
>now use VSCode not only for Latex but also as PDF reader

As a former/current Emacs user I really appreciate this. Microsoft really pulled off incredibly good shit with their editor. I used to do most things in Emacs and now I can transfer that habit to editor that works better with webdev workflow.

Attached: 1151689761041.jpg (350x350, 22K)

Agreed, Microsoft really hit the ball out of the park with this one. Amazing open source editor. Almost use it exclusively

Enjoy your botnet.

It's open source

this. i just wish the startup time wasn't like 2-3 seconds because of the electron backend, it's a fantastic editor regardless and doesn't lag at all on my shitty laptop

>he closes code

I thought pedobear seal of approval was universally used throughout Jow Forums and its an official seal of Jow Forums?

Attached: e75.jpg (342x350, 45K)

>open source editor
Have you read the ToS?

Reminder, download VSCodium, it's literally VScode without the telemetry shit

Is it proven to remove ALL telemetry?

>dumb drone comment
somebody should fix these broken records

Can't say, check out their GitHub. Apparently Microsoft add the telemetry and branding as a extra build. Compiling from source does not include the extra shit, which is what VScodium does. They are just binaries for people who don't want to compile from source.

no, fucking degenerate.

vscode is the new fucking bloat Eclipse

kys

It still sends data back to their servers. Being open source is just one of the requirements for it to be usable.
>inb4 you can disable it
Go on, unset the checkbox and then watch tcptrack. It sends info outside when starting.

If you can't reprogram it while it's running, it's not comparable to Emacs. Call me when you get an extension that is a step debugger for extensions and when you can redefine extensions/editor code in a live process.

>what is vscodium
The absoulte state of emcucks on this board.

Use vscodium
Or at least turn off all the telemetry in preferences and set the cursor to solid

Can I debug C# code in Codium? Last time I tried it gave me a warning that only Code can do it, but Code gives me the same. Apparently I had to set a breakpoint.

Why exactly is this useful? Can't you just wait to re-load your changes? I can't remember the last time I went "gee, I wish I would be able to use a community-made debugger on my text editor".

That's because you aren't programming your editor obviously. If you're programming your editor, it's useful to be able to debug the code you write. This makes it easy to write programs to write code for you.

In Vim you can record macros to do basic things, but if you want something as simple as a conditional (if this is true, also do this) then you're hosed. In Emacs you just write a quick function. Having a step debugger makes it even easier.

When I'm writing code for, say, a Python project in Emacs, I'm actually writing Emacs Lisp code that writes Python for me. And yes, I also write Emacs Lisp code that writes Emacs Lisp code for me.

THIS is why Emacs completely BTFOs all other "editors".

You can write and eval on-the-fly functions in vim too. I'm not saying Emacs isn't convenient (I don't have much experience in it, but what I've seen its introspection abilities and such are indeed great), but I'm questioning whether these things you describe indeed are essential to programming. People have been programming since punch cards, and the same kind of write - eval/compile - fix loop has always worked well enough for all kinds of software projects. So, it must be just a mere minor convenience, not something fundamentally revolutionary, otherwise we'd see the concrete advantages and everything would be running lisps now.

>I'm actually writing Emacs Lisp code that writes Python for me.
If all your code is so repetitive writing it can be automated, you might be doing something wrong. The programming language is the interface between you and the computer, why would you want to add another interface on top of that?

Does VSCode have a Telegram client like Emacs does?

A Telegram client? What's wrong with Emacs users? Why do they have to implement a bubblegum version of everything on their editor? Isn't the official Telegram client much better for this purpose?

Still botnet, extension support allows MS datamining.

bmup

>muh datamining
literally dont care unless they gain root access and transmit my pizza folder to feds or get my ssh keys. oh no! they'll steal my rice!

whats it like working as a professional shill in israel?

CapSoc, please stop.

Attached: 4CE3114D-7452-4668-B37C-07C95536A5E4.png (1853x1000, 1.29M)

TFW doesn't use overleaf for LaTeX

I think the simple answer is that while using emacs like that does allow you to write more code, the real bottleneck generally isn't code writing speed. So it's another case of lisp being technically 'superior', but because it's harder to learn, most people don't bother with it because the gains aren't really worth it.