VS Code supports remote programming over SSH

VS Code supports remote programming over SSH.

That's it. I'm never using desktop loonix again.

Attached: 2019-06-15_191609.png (1280x960, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY
github.com/Microsoft/vscode-remote-release
github.com/neoclide/coc.nvim
twitter.com/AnonBabble

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY
I bet it supports all kinds of remote operations

It's literally open source

>He doesn't know

just like vim

Yes, but no sudo... basically useless

just realized this was a thing.

I used to ssh manually into my server and use vim but now i can just use this from my laptop

Based
Downloading

i sneak-program on my side projects at work with this lol

Could you kindly give me a link to implementation source of the remote programming feature, fag?

hope you're not using a work pc to do this or you'll get sued if the company ever finds out

actually no, because its not using company hardware or equipment if i am just sshing into my own server at home ya dummy

besides, i'm working on some dubiously legal shit that i doubt my work will try to claim is their intellectual property

Discovered this yesterday. Also you can use VSCode to program on WSL.
There's literally no need for desktop Linux anymore.

Attached: 1507623202242.png (700x700, 825K)

>implying anyone in FOSS actually audits even 1% of the stuff they say they're suspicious of when they actually get the chance

github.com/Microsoft/vscode-remote-release

The remote server is written on node faggot. You can audit it whenever you’d like.

That's cool but don't lie, you were never using desktop linux.

I do.

github.com/neoclide/coc.nvim

Please don’t post retard programs like vim or whatever text editor.

I'm sorry, I forgot this is a web browser thread.

literally sshfs + any editor

BOOMER DETECTED

jetbrains many years back, you are welcome

tranny btfo eternally

Great cause it seems that you wouldn't be a great addition to the *nix chad league.

> got a feature emacs had for the last 15 years
>linuxfags eternally btfo

Attached: drooling_neanderthal_brainlet_by_bubychub_dcwqvmf250t.jpg (379x250, 15K)

Emacs does too.

>This repository is for providing feedback
Read the fucking README.

>barely catching up to linux

Awww that's cute

Congrats, only 40 years late

but what are you using to ssh into your home server, a personal machine, at work?

>Using Electron Based App as your text editor

Attached: c31.png (600x630, 423K)

if only it started a little faster

Attached: wojak.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Why would you want to do this?

>Linux has never been able to reach ready for desktop state
>MS is now taking away last reasons for people to even need Linux on desktop
Crashing the competition with no survivors

>if only it started a little faster
the main problem with it is this >use code-insiders ./file.txt to open it
>edit everything
>try to save
>you don't have permissions

in the end you still have to use "sudo vim ./file.txt"...

(maybe I am doing it wrong, someone enlighten me)

it should hurt apple more... reason I use macOS is I dont want to fuck around with command prompt or low quality terminal emulators.

but now microsoft builts it's own terminal and supports running linux on windows.

You could also use GVFS-SFTP and GNOME Builder for the premium footzoomer experience

almost right, except the command is:
sudo emacs ./file.txt

here's the main technical selling point of vscode hamfisted in vim/neovim - now your visual Kode editor with Intellsense(TM) features and extensions launches and opens a file or lists a directory in fraction of a second

>VS Code supports remote programming over SSH
Why would you need vscode to do that when you've been able to mount a path over SSH since forever

because it actually spawns a remote vs code server. Meaning you can actually get the server to do all the intellisense and building and configuration at the server end all from a remote vs code session

i have a beefy server at home and a shitty laptop i take around.

so now i can pretty easily open vs code and act as if I had the server right on my lap through vs code rather than having to do some sshfs mount next to an ssh terminal trickery

in b4 boomer "just yooz vim and sshfs" shit

I wonder if it's better than Jetbrains' remote development.
The problem there is that the IDE doesn't really pick up on changes made on the server (like generated cache files or an update for the package manager).

This is why I'm currently just using unison for two way sync. That works remarkably well.

works incredibly well for my C++ development.

my server has 64 gb of ddr4 ram and a 10 core i9 and has some GPUs that i dev against, so all that compiling and intellisense generaiton happens really quickly and the vs code terminal is a direct SSH terminal for running.

Haven't tested the debugging stuff yet though

>I wonder if it's better than Jetbrains' remote development.
jetbrains remote developed is what exactly, deploy file to server on save? vscode approach is on a whole different level to that, go check it out.

Pretty much. Download files locally, upload on save. And sync manually if YOU know something changed.
There's no inotify scanning the remote for changes and immediately updating the files on the local project.

It's pretty weird how many people can just work with that, or fucking samba shares. But VSCode doesn't have the amazing Symfony Plugin PHPStorm has, so I can't really use it for my development purposes.

on vscode there's an application server which runs your intellisense and other extensions on a remote side which your editor communicates with so usual ssh lag and bidirectional sync issues don't exist
it's really very very good, i've been waiting for a tool enabling workflow like this for years

>It's pretty weird how many people can just work with that, or fucking samba shares.
people on this board are largely retarded nocoders, it's not really news, i mostly come here to laugh at their terrible opinions

Wait, so that means you don't even need to download all the files to your computer at all?

That's brilliant. That's even better than I thought possible. Ugh, A shame PHPStorm is still so much better at PHP. If it wasn't, I'd be able to use VSCod(ium) for everything.

I come here out of nostalgia for the good threads we used to have, like 6 years ago.
I know how terrible this board is, but I can't get myself to leave.

>Wait, so that means you don't even need to download all the files to your computer at all?
no it works absolutely transparently with zero lag and no checking out code locally at ALL
it's like developing over sshfs only it doesn't suck
i agree that phpstorm is a much better php ide overall. i hope jetbrains steals the approach vscode has and replaces this primitive "upload on save" shit with it.

>python
>vscode
>javascript

S O Y

Die, boomer. Your kind is not welcome here.

oh and not only you don't have to check out code locally, you don't have to sacrifice linters and fast code navigation because all indexing and shit happens on the remote side.

That works with my current approach (using unison) too.

>
VsCode is literally the most popular editor around. Seethe more.

>using a browser to edit simple plain text files

Attached: 1517002668529.png (817x798, 92K)

>using an editor which can't run code linter without locking the entire UI
go larp elsewhere, grown ups are talking here

eh. at work I used an in browser SSH client and will fire up nano or vim inside it. Any overhead isn't apparent in my productivity so I can't complain.

>wrap up obvious easy feature into a single script
>hurr ms so I based

If you would read a ssh manpahe for more than a minute you'd know how to do this all yourself without pulling in useless dependencies and letting MS be part of your "development process"

I really can't tell whether people are just shills or genuinely this technology illiterate.

And WSL 2 is coming soon. This version will include a Linux kernel. There's no reason to deal with screen tearing on desktop Linux ever again

>mfw Windows becomes desktop Linux

>what is linting
>what is git integration

Oh wow, they have reinvented TRAMP.

>If you would read a ssh manpahe for more than a minute you'd know how to do this all yourself without pulling in useless dependencies and letting MS be part of your "development process"
>Oh wow, they have reinvented TRAMP.
when i was talking about retarded nocoders i meant people posting shit like this

>when i was talking about retarded nocoders i meant people posting shit like this
Not everyone was born yesterday, dumb zoomer. You are getting all excited about non-news.

>born yesterday, dumb zoomer
user i'm 38 years old and given the state of this board its very likely that i used vim and emacs productively literally before you were born
keep larping though, its adorable

>Yes, but no sudo... basically useless
It's not meant to edit system config files though. It's not a replacement for a local text editor on the remote machine

It sure is a simple feature.
And yet... not a single fucking freetard has invented it in who-knows-how-old-telnet-is years. Microsoft got interested in Linux just a few years ago due to Azure and they are now creating all this amazing technology and they are creating tools like WSL 2 that make Windows a better platform for creating Linux software than a fucking Linux distro.
Absolutely pathetic game, Lintards.

deployment and remoting shouldnt be anywhere close to your ide. it should be in a complete different layer
vim and co is not the same thing as it was mostly a tool for sysadmin work and consistency
this is just typical ms google etc shit, they try to sell repackaged old features people already discovered are a bad approach to said problem
its like how js kids rediscover shit from the 70's and think it's new
this industry is doomed

freetards invented stuff like tramp and netrw.
i unironically recommend everyone here to use it and then compare to how vscode does remote development.
side effect would be realizing how retarded contrarians arguing for obviously inferior tools here sound and hopefully leaving this board forever

vs code is so good that it's making me uneasy
it's microsoft and I know that there must be something wrong

HAHAHAHA Holy shit, I don't know what primitive shitprojects you work on, if at all, but good for you. Seriously, it's good. If some shitty send-over-ssh-on-save solution is good enough for whatever you're doing, go ahead.

Meanwhile, we employed people will use the powerful solution VSCode invented.

>m$ shill unable to understand that the post he replied to was agreeing with him
As expected from from Microsoft. They can't even shill right.

>Microsoft bad
>shitty Linux tools that crash all the time good
It's like the 2000s all over again

Linux is a kernel.

I guess. I really understood the post as coming from a vimdiot refering to other editors as "inferior" and thinking netrw, vim's shitty file explorer, was in any way competitive with VSCode remote development.

Freetards are so delusional that this was a real possibility.

Which is why he referred to Linux tools. How dumb are you to understand that as anything but "userland application"?

>remote programming over SSH.
That's pretty cool, but why not just use Dropbox or similar?

>shitty Linux tools that crash all the time good
Never as much as a locked "linux tool" on my LTS distro of choice, compared to the kernel panics and corruption from updates on Windows over the years. JustWerks on my machine.

Also, VS Codium has been great, suggest it to everyone in this thread.

>all these dumb-fuck boomers that think "remote development" is just "remote file system" with shit like sshfs or dropbox or some shit

Attached: 1555804928286.png.webm (731x750, 1.2M)

I would only use vscode if MS gave the project to a privacy responsible entity and didn't shipped any telemetry by default (I'm talking zero lines of telemetry in the repository). Not sure what could be done with the extension infrastructure tho.
Then and only then we could truly have the world cooperating without restrictions for a next gen text editor that can be a good pseudo IDE.
I admire MS' engineering efforts but the company just can't be trusted. No company really can but they and Google/FB/Apple are cancer by nature.
Not that anyone care but that's my opinion.

>it's not real open source if Microsoft does it

It literally asks you if you want to opt out of the telemetry collection when you install it

"open source" is a term cucks and companies invented to discredit free software.

how about vscodium

That's literally what it boils down to once you look past all the fancy gimmicks.

>What is an IDE?

retard they add telemetry even to what you compile using their stack
you might trust the code but you can't trust the infrastructure and their leadership
with microsoft there's always a *

Some companies open source their code just so they can have autists from around the world improve it for free

Fortunately I don't compile anything with it. I just edit my Terraform and Puppet code.

I know about it but I was talking about support the project itself, over the years I have created over 30 extensions and countless themes and small plugins for vim and many editors but none for vscode. Same reason why I don't work with FB/Google tech even when it could be very profitable. *fills recaptcha*

You can avoid working for google for free while supporting this site by purchasing a Jow Forums pass. Estimate the amount of time you'd spend solving captchas here in a year and whether that amount of time is worth less than $20.

thanks for the daily kek

Why would you cripple yourself?

this thread is a mess

a node_modules of bad design

For sympathy.

>t. neet

This was meant for