/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: output.png (111x111, 405)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/06/msg00003.html
linuxjourney.com/
linuxcontainers.org/lxd/try-it/
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/unlink.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/34407685/link-count-and-ls-command
github.com/DIGImend/digimend-kernel-drivers/issues/178
github.com/DIGImend/digimend-kernel-drivers/issues/233
reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/aobcuc/help_with_xppen_deco01_in_ubuntu_linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What the fuck happened? This was my last refuge in a sea of shit Jow Forums is.

You let page 10 happen.

What the fuck was that last thread? No way I was going to bump it.

>Planned release of buster on 2019-07-06 and the last weeks up to the release
lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/06/msg00003.html

Buster soon bois

You guys contribute to your distro and its community? I do simple ports to my ports based distro. Is a small community so every help counts. Maybe you guys have a larger community.

The Debian guys are huge I recon. But their contributor doesn't seem so many, Gentoo guys on the other hand seem to have more contributors somehow, I see they are in the conferences talking about security.

I would like to but I'm not a programmer or anything. Most likely i'd contribute to Arch wiki if I'm experimenting with something

You'll be surprised to know the Arch wiki is deleting content. Is more obvious when is related to something systemd replaces.

But you can make a guide, is a gret way to contribute. The guys at Debian have a lot of those on forums.

I'm on debian and I couldn't be happier with my OS I don't know why its the most comfy!! I like gnu/linux I'm running xfce4 on a x220

Attached: friendlyscreenshot.png (1366x768, 434K)

That's a nice setup bro. Xfce is comfy af, very nice to noobs too so I recommend it often.

I'm starting to like it more than fluxbox

>he doesn't use brave browser

Looking at some pictures Fluxbox looks a lot like vanilla Openbox, which is logical as both were forked from Blackbox.

its sexy if you set it up right nautilus breaks fluxbox if you don't use a special command with it so you have to run it on a distro with xfce instead its a mess. alll my spagehtti everywhere

try it out

Thanks, tried those wm a while back and I am happy with the tiling wm I currently use. Although I sometimes use another stacking wm called Motif Window Manager but over a year I don't use it either.

is it i3wm? I can't do it, its too hard to use for me

anyone else extremely unhappy with their lives
please give advice. i know this is a friendly general

Attached: h8zGvSp.jpg (550x550, 224K)

I don't know what to tell you user. Life is what you make it. I'm here to talk user I'm on irc freenode as Minou83

>please give advice
KYS. No, seriously. It's the best advice you could get. I'm gonna KMS in maybe two weeks, not later. And now that I know it, I feel so happy and awaken inside.

my brother died that way

>KMS
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kms

Being unhappy with your life is normal. Forget your life, try and be happy with a small thing.

Pretty sure my woman + linux did this for me. Woman started it, Linux finished it. Now generally happy with life.

that feel when your not pirating your OS

>when you run your own web server to have a bookmark page

Attached: 1530216211320.jpg (250x187, 5K)

Friendship ended with Leafpad
Now less is my best friend

Most overrated kernel ever.

Hey user,

I know I'm just some random fag on the internet but please listen.

Depression won't go away out of nowhere. It might not even ever fully go away, but there is so much you can do to make your life better. The first step to a better life is bettering yourself. Miraceles don't exist, so stop hoping for one. Start taking care of yourself. Clean your room. Quit caffine. Go to sleep at an acceptable time. Start working out. Find along lasting goal. Get a hobby. Face your fears and stop giving a fuck, etc. The key to hapiness is to constantly work on yourself and be a better version every day.
You are the person in control, so stfu and take care of yourself, you pussy.

do people really do this?

>woman + linux
This is a GNU + linux thread.

I am considering it. It likely beats synchronizing bookmarks by hand between four machines.

Is there any special way to share files using samba on an ntfs partition on linux?

What you do with your server is between you and your hoster/ISP.

how do you fix tearing in chromium? yes just chromium

visit /kpg/ on /mu/ and you'll be less depressed

Attached: 1550189006642.jpg (2048x1364, 883K)

Thx but I hate those fucking insects.

come on, the girls are cute

Attached: 1545303675861.jpg (1500x2250, 315K)

Kinda see why you'd be unhappy with life. Unironic frogposting should have been the tell.

I can’t boot elementaryOS from USB. I flashed the image with etcher, it gets to GRUB but after I select ‘try elementaryos’ the screen goes blank and stays like that for a long while. I have an nvidia 750m on this laptop, and I thought that’s the reason why it’s not booting. Tried to boot with nomodeset, acpi=off, noacpi and same result. Can’t open a terminal from the blank screen either. Thought it might be the USB that’s shit and flashed popOS with nVidia drivers to try and boot from it and it works. I am pretty sure I can’t boot elementary because of nVidia. I don’t know what else to try, I’m a noob with linux systems.

i was, and now i am not.
hang in there user
this poster is a fag, but also correct

/fglt/, what programs do you use for Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies? I've heard that Electrum is "shit," but not the specifics.

Is Ratpoison. I do understand is not for everyone. Even Lunduke hates it ;_;

>programs
you mean like wallets?
just make a paper wallet. airgapped if storing large amounts. print two copies of your private keys, keep one somewhere safe that isn't your house.

>buttcoins

>current year
>uses Jow Forums
>doesn't own any crypto

Attached: 1551415275025.gif (300x169, 1.35M)

I installed that ppa with the graphics and now my ubuntu doesn't boot, just stay at the purple screen with the little loading points frozen. Is there any way to get into a cmd so I can uninstall the ppa and revert back to default drivers? (I can't use grub because somehow have the bios splash I get sent to the ubuntu loading)

/sqt/ here, are all linux distros the same thing with different software tacked on to the same basic 'kernel'? If so, would it be possible to take a very stripped down basic distro, and on certain packages, and have the end result be exactly like a more bulked up distro (like Ubuntu, I guess)?

The sad part is we used to have good options. Early apps were written in Java and although they were "shit" by modern standards (such as not supporting modern wallet formats), none of the current complaints existed. We didn't have these dumb Electron issues. We didn't have JS codecamp grads getting involved in codebases trying to make it "beautiful". We didn't get that hack where people got sent phishing messages through legit clients. etc etc

Yes, and there have been efforts here. Consider Alpine.

Use a livecd so you can then chroot into your install.

Yes. There are different approaches to wrangling the software, which distinguishes the popular base distributions: Debian (.deb/apt), Red Hat (.rpm/dnf), Gentoo (sauce), Arch (pacman)

I've been using Ubuntu for couple of years now but I want to dive deep into Linux world. Is Cisco's free Linux essentials course a good start?

Linux is a many-dimensional creature. Are you interested in system administration, systems programming, userland programs, printer voodoo, networking, desktop ricing, video games, or something else?

/sqt/ again, what's the deal with all the different package managers? why write your own program to pull stuff from a server? what advantage do they confer?

i'm also a beginnner and I'm liking
linuxjourney.com/ so far, also using linuxcontainers.org/lxd/try-it/ to try random beginner things on, since I tried and failed to practice on a Live USB and Virtual Machine previously

For now I just want to understand Linux in general. In future I'd like to contribute to open source community. I don't have CS background but I do have knowledge of Java/Python... which I manly used in scientific fields.
Do you think that someone like me could somehow contribute?

You'd need a BS in CompSci to contribute. That's the beauty of this.
Hell I have one and I don't contribute like I should be.

>what's the deal with all the different package managers?
That's a good question. I would say that in the time before time, each one arose independently from the primordial goop.

Oh really?
Even if you work on some small open source projects?
That's a little bit harsh, don't you agree?

You don't*
Fuck, hope my slip up doesn't turn off potential contributors.

is there any guide to getting a bare bones distro to being exactly like a heavier distro? this is really interesting. basically I have just gotten this idea that distros are completely modular and there's nothing in one of them that you can't put in another, and I'm trying to figure out if that is actually correct. that there's no unique signature to Ubuntu seperate from the components. Like, there's nothing special about it, its just a bunch of modules thrown together and labeled with a name

Recent KDE update has added this nice little microphone thingy that gets displayed whenever some application uses the mic. Is there a way to have it displayed all the time, near the volume icon? I have "always show all entries" checked under system tray settings, but it doesn't seem to work.

Attached: 1533022360584.png (668x152, 57K)

Try Linux from Scratch if you're interested in the experience of building your own distro.

why does this happen every time my computer wakes up from standby? i've had so many issues with it it's becoming increasingly harder to enjoy it and i'm honestly considering going back to windows at this point...

Attached: wtf.png (1503x1050, 2.73M)

What would be the greatest thing for me is to have some kind of guidance. I wonder from thing to thing, of course I learn a lot but I also lose a lot of time.
Anyway I'll finish Linux Essentials course and then see.
Thanks!

neat, thanks!

I think this is a misinterpretation of what I tried to ask (albeit I mistyped).

I am trying to ask, is it possible to start with a lightweight distro, then install programs or packages or drivers or idk what they would be called, and end up with an end product identical to what you would get if you had just installed a 'heavier' distro in the first place? Put another way, Is there anything special about any a distro beyond the modular pieces it is made up of?

I'm kind of new to crypto. Don't you need some kind of interface to make transactions?

Can anyone give me any hints on this? I’m trying to boot ubuntu and I get the same blank screen. Pic related are the parameters that I get for elementary, same for ubuntu. All the paramaters I tried, I’ve put between seed and boot; tried nouveau.modeset=0 and other parameters I’ve found on the internet mentioned before and still nothing.

Attached: 1D632194-7957-48BC-9228-558585266215.jpg (3708x809, 792K)

Theres a hotkey that allows you to go into grub. Forgot which exactly. Maybe holding shift.

Just grep a txt file | dmenu

why does unlink act as rm for regular files reeeeee

So, how do you stop a ping loop?

go on

ctrl+c stops the active process

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/unlink.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/34407685/link-count-and-ls-command

Ctrl+c sends and interrupt signal.
Try to stop this:

for i in {1..254}; do ping -c 2 -w 1 "192.168.1.${i}"; done

interrupt*

Pleas learn how to use REEE correctly.

*flicks psu switch*

Is there a hotkey to delete an entry from the terminal history?

^B:kill-window

I am total noob here at linux, I am following this guide on manjaro setup and when i try to run this i get this cheeky error. How do I give myself root access or wtvr? This is a fresh manjaro install on a new ssd for a laptop

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-16 09-57-40.png (1206x546, 131K)

I should elaborate, when I go to type in my password there I am unable to do so, nothing from the keyboard can be inputted

When did you grow out of ricing?

ah shit nv, realized that when typing out a password, it's invisible... I have a long way to go with this shit mayun

>doesnt use qutebrowser
kys fag

Hope ricing questions are still relevant to this thread

Are those borders that some people's desktop's have around windows in window managers things you can configure from i3/bspwm, or do I need to install openbox to go with it? Where can I learn about combining those two together as well?
Pic related is an example of what I'm talking about.

Attached: cat.png (1366x768, 1.09M)

Try compton.

just set up on demand automount sshfs on my lappy

Attached: 1535258888701.png (589x603, 535K)

WTF

Besides next cloud what else should I put on my server?
Also should I run my von through my raspberry pi?
Also do I have to pay for one for it to work?

I'd like to contribute to xfce (or xubuntu maybe) but don't really know how, cos seems like they need developers and have very slow release cycles.

i chuckled thanks user

Motherfucker this has been giving me some issues, but I'm sure one of you linux/sys admin types can aid me, it's a fairly noob question

Basically I've set an FreeIPA as a VM (I use KVM btw), and I need to access the web interface for FreeIPA in my local network. I can access it perfectly fine on the host machine, but I cannot access it from other machines.

Any idea how to fix this? I need to make the web UI available on the local network. Any advice appreciated.

What are my options for file format specific file organizing?

Basically I want automated cut+paste of certain files to certain folders. I'm thinking a simple alias mv type of automation on startup but I was wondering if there are better ways to do this.

I think this wasn't enough to explain what I want so allow me to elaborate.

My downloads folder is home to random piles of shit. Now I've already made a simple alias mv *.file-format /folder thing but I find it kinda annoying to type it everytime I want it done. I am looking for a way that automatically does this whenever a file is written on the downloads folder.

i apologize if this isn't the right place to ask this, i am looking for a drawing tablet and information is very spread apart regarding linux support. for example, i have been looking at the deco 01 which supposedly has digimend support. however the newest version of the device is not supported by digimend which isn't referenced on the website at all
github.com/DIGImend/digimend-kernel-drivers/issues/178
github.com/DIGImend/digimend-kernel-drivers/issues/233
while apparently the official driver has its own plethora of problems
reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/aobcuc/help_with_xppen_deco01_in_ubuntu_linux/
and then learning more about tablet support in general apparently programs like krita have trouble with dynamic brushes without patching evdev? are there any good options for digital drawing in linux or do i need to install windows

Attached: 1544148362248.jpg (400x300, 10K)

I think most wacoms are supported but you will have to look deeper into that yourself.