What's your favorite DE?

continuing poll from yesterday
strawpoll.me/18171117

Attached: 1560515607011.png (220x261, 14K)

what about deepin? is it a meme DE?

never tried it, isn't Deepin just another Debian spinoff like Ubuntu? and Deepin DE is comparable to LXQt, right? Why not just use Lubuntu then?

no, there's a deepin distro which is shit and a deepin DE, i would say it's not light so it's comparable t KDE and gnome.

it's a chinese DE that is polished but still in early stages and lacks customizations.

>stupid poll doesn't have dwm.exe/explorer.exe
Into the trash you go.

bump

I swallowed the comfy vanilla, stock DE pill

Using GNOME on Fedora30

it just werks and it's super productive with memorizing just a handful of shortcuts

Damn, KDE more popular than I thought it would be.

I would've expected MATE and Cinnamon to be more popular

this t bh. just nuked my arch/i3 and installed disco dingo with gnome minimal on my laptop and its actually quite nice. going to try budgie as well

>Wikia, Inc. and our partners engage in behavioral advertising and other similar activities on this site. For full details, please tap here. To consent to these activities, tap "Got it, thanks!"
Seems legit.

Xfce is nice too if you want something light
what?

gnome minimal?

>it's super productive
Literally the opposite

sorry I worded that a bit odd. minimal ubuntu install without most of the preinstalled software but with the default gnome DE

that's a great option
unfortunately not all Ubuntu flavors offer that option during installation, I think only normal Ubuntu and Kubuntu do

Attached: serveimage.png (1016x720, 97K)

I've not used apt before but does it handle dependencies well? with pacman I could just install x DE then remove gnome

lxqt is light and build around the same framework as Plasma.

Deepin was built from scratch and is around the same size as GNOME 3. Bloated AF.

Because there is no official Ubuntu flavour of deepin yet, it isn't in the mainstream.

Wrong logo. This is Tux, the mascot of Linux.

Interestingly xubuntu's iso doesn't come with minimal but you can get it from the ubuntu net installer iso.

so? is there a mascot for DE's in general?

>it just werks and it's super productive with memorizing just a handful of shortcuts
Ironically, for as much as Jow Forums hates GNOME and loves keyboard driven window managers, GNOME is probably the most analogous DE to one. It has a heavy emphasis on keyboard shortcuts, workspaces, and an application launcher. It might not offer the same level of raw functionality or autistic tweaking as KDE, but GNOME actually gets a lot of subtle details right. It's also been a much more stable DE, in my experience, I can't really think of a time GNOME was janky for me.

That being said, GNOME's achilles heel is its absolutely god awful performance. The architecture of the GNOME desktop is awful. Also, its developers have very poor attitudes that are very much opposite to the spirit of the Linux community.

bump

dumb nigger, ubuntu is xubuntu but with xfeces

bump

Deepin DE is basically budgie with muh blur

Default GNOME.

Attached: 15584777677001.jpg (500x693, 57K)

The GNOME developers (who also developed technology like D-BUS, Pulseaudio, Systemd, Wayland and GTK) have realized that one of the major reasons Linux is always behind macOS and Windows is due to lack of standardization.
Even if you wait for 40 years, the neckbeards developing FOSS projects won't sit down together and agree on common standards. On macOS and Windows, the standards are pretty much dictated by the OS vendor. On Linux, the only common standard is the Kernel's interfaces. If you need anything beyond that - Audio, Window Management, Init, Logging, A Message Bus, A freaking UI library, Drag & Drop between applications, whatever the fuck - you would need these people to negotiate standards.
That never happens. All they want is to develop their own software and that holds the Linux ecosystem back.

So what they're doing now is define those standards and implement the software necessary for everything to work together. PulseAudio isn't meant to AN audio server, it's meant to be THE audio system on Linux any application can be linked against. GTK isn't meant to be A toolkit, but THE UI Toolkit of Linux. Systemd isn't meant to be AN init system, it's meant to be THE init system. Same for Gnome as THE DE, D-BUS as THE messaging mechanism of the userland, Wayland as THE Display Server & Compositor etc.

It's a pretty drastic measure, but if nobody does it, Linux-based operating systems will always be behind the capabilities of even Windows 95. No developer is forced to use these technologies, but they all want to - nobody wants to go back to the incompatible shit times of undefined standards where you had to remote debug on a bugtracker why your program won't work on some stupid niche distro.

this.

>Ubuntu (gnome) minimal
>1800 dpkg, 9 snap

Attached: 1462114317354.jpg (710x508, 360K)

>GTK isn't meant to be A toolkit, but THE UI Toolkit of Linux
what if we (some developers) don't like the GNU in GTK?

>It's a pretty drastic measure, but if nobody does it, Linux-based operating systems will always be behind the capabilities of even Windows 95. No developer is forced to use these technologies, but they all want to
you just described what a distro is. any distro can choose to only support a set of components required to make up the OS

it's free software, we await your patch to fix the things that you don't like

Sure, but developers would love their programs to work across distros and distro makers would love for programs to work on them without having to copy non-standard tools from other distros that programs rely on due to lack of alternatives.

>package meme
it starts with 1400, not much more than Debian. much like debian, it has many different libraries/pieces of software in separate packages so that they can easily be removed and tailored to your liking. don't think that because your Arch meme install with

>reading the package number

Attached: retard.png (128x139, 33K)