Executes faster than C while written as high level and safe as Ruby and Typescript

>executes faster than C while written as high level and safe as Ruby and Typescript
>no nulls, compile time memory safety
>no GC bloat
>0-cost abstractions
>no data races
>based macros and DSL
>traits, generics, closures, iterators, enums, sum types, pattern matching
>elegant error handling
>fearless concurrency and parallelism
>quality libs that don't exist in any other languages (e.g. serde, clap, rand, reqwest, etc...)
>takes the best features of OO and FP and leaves the rest
>god-tier package management
>clean and comfy documenting and testing
>can be used anywhere from embedded systems to writing APIs and FOSS command line tools

Attached: pn2rtsvqg2d11.jpg (2134x1600, 451K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/a/30013891/5226961
way-cooler.org/blog/2019/04/29/rewriting-way-cooler-in-c.html
sqlite.org/whyc.html
queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It looks like Perl and is infested with retards calling themselves rustaceans

ugly syntax.

just write bugfree C/C++

>Ferris is the unofficial mascot of the Rust Community. Many Rust programmers call themselves “Rustaceans,” a play on the word “crustacean.” We refer to Ferris with the pronouns “they,” “them,” etc., rather than with gendered pronouns.
Go be a tranny somewhere else nigger

>It looks like Perl
no it doesn't, at least learn it before you judge it
probably only for your small brain
if you ever had a job in c/c++ you wouldn't have said that, NEET

Attached: 1560475447227.png (1066x809, 282K)

>“they,” “them,” etc., rather than with gendered pronouns.
Why not just "it"? It is a pronoun without gender.

i do
smart pointers and RAII locks seem to be a great solution to most safety problems to me

I use Python

Attached: 1559888784270.png (300x300, 85K)

>static linking

like I said you didn't learn Rust, smart pointers work in runtime and cannot protect against data races, ownership in Rust works in compile-time, Rust compiler makes you confident that you cannot have null dereferencing or data races

this but unironically. python offers everything I need from a programming language.

Sadly it also offers GIL

>if you use it, people will identify you as a tranny
nice, where do I download?

>smart pointers work in runtime
do you really not know about unique_ptr?
>data races
use a fucking lock
you can easily make a wrapper around anything that can only be accessed in a thread-safe manner as well

>quality libs that don't exist in any other languages (e.g. serde, clap, rand, reqwest, etc...)
I've noticed a pattern I first saw with Ruby, when a language gets popular quickly everybody rushes to create the next best libraries, then everything dies off. I will try out Rust in 2 or 3 years, if it still exists by then with the same ecosystem it has right now.

stackoverflow.com/a/30013891/5226961

Literally the only reason i will never use it is because of the tranny stuff

>We refer to Ferris with the pronouns “they,” “them,” etc., rather than with gendered pronouns.
Why do people care about this so much?
ffs, even Jow Forums doesn't give a fuck about this shit, they call you a little girl regardless of benis.
True gender equality. Everybody's a little girl.

Attached: 1521728208048.jpg (600x599, 45K)

wtf now I like C.

stop posting this thread you mentally ill tranny. join the 40%

Python is easier, but it's also slower.
Sometimes, speed is crucial and that's when you use C or C++.
If you want to write more code quicker though, python would be better, though it would slower when running.

Honestly, you really need to tailor the language you use to the type of program you want.

I like go and c and have no plans on switching to some meme language LGBT "people" use

t. 80 IQ webdevs

also give me a list of those who work on rust-core who are trannies, I dare you

>what is Rc
>what is RefCell
>what is Weak

if you got to work instead of arguing about language, you'd actually have code to run!

>not using the prefered pronoun

Attached: gender_ferris.png (1920x1080, 116K)

>community manager

Attached: rust_community_manager.png (1169x1001, 656K)

>cucked community

Attached: imagine_being_this_cucked.png (771x578, 81K)

it seems you have IQ that's even lower than 80, again, who are the trannies who work on rust-core?

>kill all men
She's not wrong. You all very well deserve it for allowing this shitstorm to happen. You, your spineless fathers and your faggot grandfathers haven't managed to raise their offsprings properly.

>systems programming language A vs systems programming language B
>i choose high-level interpreted scripting language C!

And this is why no one uses rust. It's probably a good resource, but the people involved with it are assholes.

Attached: semen demon (male).png (586x552, 122K)

>no nulls
they're still around, couldn't do FFI properly otherwise

you're the one with 80 IQ if you need this tranny language to """keep you safe""" because you can't keep track of memory allocations in your head

Ok OP, you sold me.
(Or maybe, you just meme'd me very hard, you can never know on Jow Forums).
I'll try to learn Rust.

Attached: 0dd64b1babc3c9aa1a11abfadda0655ce708005c.jpg (289x217, 31K)

I also love Perl and Perl 6 is scary efficient.

>executes faster than C while written as high level and safe as Ruby and Typescript
what the fuck type of tranny propaganda is this? How can anybody really believe that is true?
>inb4 cherrypicked benchmarks that don't reflect reality

Thanks for the info user,
I'll give it a try.
I know that Perl is extremely powerful for text manipulation, but I haven't try the latest version yet

Attached: 2cebf3a6d56f88d2cea8171d55be1d95.jpg (499x624, 103K)

C++ just works better.

>here is our fast rust version
>here is the equivalent C version which is exactly the same apart from us deciding to use a worse algorithm
>notice how the rust version is much faster

LLVM is shit
When is Rust moving off of that shit?

I really recommend giving it a try, I'm enjoying it so far
Hopefully it makes a lot of progress over the next few years and becomes a standardised language with a rich library. Cargo is a fantastic build/management system which has already created a really good ecosystem. Over the next few years it's just going to get better
If you want some perspective on Rust from a senior engineer and long-time C programmer, check out some of Bryan Cantrill's talks

>Bryan Cantrill
But is he a tranny?

>Cargo is a fantastic build/management system which has already created a really good ecosystem
you mean npm 2.0? that shit is repulsive

Why is rust faster on the benchmarks game? Where is your "better" algorithm?

rust has kid gloves baked into their language which deters experienced developers from switching over and only attracts greenhorns. over time their ecosystem will get worse not better from their ecosystem primarily being newbies.
i'll stick with C++ for now as it works for what I need.

they force C implementations to use certain libraries that are usually suboptimal for the task while allowing some other languages to do what ever they want.
Some extreme cases for other languages are where the implementation basically does the task with inlined C code.

You rust trannies got btfo by your own kind way-cooler.org/blog/2019/04/29/rewriting-way-cooler-in-c.html
and the sqlite devs sqlite.org/whyc.html
your memelang is never going to be performing well in real world applications

>faster than C
Look I like Rust but stop with this bullshit.

friendly reminder that rust's creator uses swift.

the only worthy comment in this pathetic post

Imagine using a shitty 50-year-old language because the only sane alternative has nontechnical, nonlegal caveats.

Attached: rust lmao.png (600x600, 249K)

>Executes faster than C
Blatant lie.

>non-technical
Aside from the hideously large dev environment and the fact that every library under the sun ends up using weak and unsafe everywhere to get the goddamn code to compile?
The borrow-checker is a fucking nightmare to deal with.

it actually does in most cases, the compiler is very smart to convert some computations in compile-time and can avoid branch prediction in iterators looping for instance.

theoretically any compiled language can execute faster than C.

C is my favorite language and I used it exclusively for almost a decade, but it's not a low level language anymore in terms of being closer to the machine. modern hardware is very different than pdp-11.

here is a good article about it.

queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479

>Aside from the hideously large dev environment and the fact that every library under the sun ends up using weak and unsafe everywhere to get the goddamn code to compile?
unfounded claim
>The borrow-checker is a fucking nightmare to deal with.
you just admitted that you're too brainlet to understand the main feature of the language

>it actually does in most cases
[citation needed]
>the compiler is very smart to convert some computations in compile-time and can avoid branch prediction in iterators looping for instance.
You mean like literally every compiler?

Theoretically? Yes. In reality? No.
The main difference with C and modern hardware now is you need to include compiler flags for things like OpenMP for proper per-node parallelism, otherwise the compiler is still extremely efficient at generating modern SIMD code.

>unfounded claim
I'm not going to hunt down 50 github links to satisfy your autism, and your denial of this truth is just proof you're a fanboy. If you actually inspected any of the packages you import you'd see this.
>you just admitted that you're too brainlet to understand the main feature of the language
I said it was a pain in the ass, not that I couldn't use it. And because of this pain in the ass, you get a shitload of people circumventing it with weak/unsafe calls. There's no point to the borrow checker if you can just say "nah don't worry about this".

>you get a shitload of people circumventing it with weak/unsafe calls
never, not even once I needed to use unsafe, it's you're just too retarded to understand the language and trying to copy some memes that were being circulated in this LARPing board to justify your hatred for it. unsafe is mainly used to unlock FFI and use system calls directly for example.

>never, not even once I needed to use unsafe,
That's nice, but lots and lots of other people do, and like I've said multiple times now weakeners are littered throughout pretty much every library you're pulling in. I will say it again: There's no point to the borrow checker if you can just tell it to fuck off.

>rust
>systems programming

Imagine being this delusional

Attached: 1549313622571.jpg (480x480, 49K)

shared_ptr

There are a large amount of Russians who use rust , I would wager they will save the lang by trolling all the sjw types. Even then though just because some blue hairs use the lang it does not mean the lang is shit.

it's a stereotype
>be you
>be rust developer
>communicate with someone over skype discussing a project
>the dude will imagine you like a blue haired balding tranny with but-plug up your ass
now, good luck convincing him to hire you

I am a go developer and dont have a reason to branch out into rust at the moment. Just my two cents on the issue and dont most large companies want people like that?

For me, it's gnu guile and the lisp gang

Attached: 1558686402179-g.gif (600x431, 1.01M)

>dont most large companies want people like that
I don't know, I am from Europe. I would guess based on the memes on Jow Forums and the looks of people on dev conferences...

official language of Jow Forums is Jow Forumso

Most companies are being pressured into it by women who are entering stem fields. My advisor has more than once used the phrase "old white men who think they're entitled to be there" as though everybody but minorities got there by being a white male and not through hard work, so they blindly will try to be as diverse as possible.

it's like you keep making this thread and nobody likes it

I love Rust and use it for my daily work, our stack is 100% rust managed by Nix c:

>guile
worst C ffi what I have seen. I would rather something that compiles to C like bigloo, gambit-c or chicken.
>lisp gang
Do not include your shitty scheme in lisp gang which consist solely of Common Lisp.

No company WANTS employees with blue hair. They're being forced to hire them at gunpoint, and that's why they'll never do it.
>tfw the bluehairs are getting literally all the jobs

>>executes faster than c

Attached: 2019-06-16-173555.png (1440x900, 191K)

>mfw sakura fish got banned from /a/

Attached: 1559571057275.jpg (900x899, 93K)

Guile and Racket are the only lisps worth using, scheme is a stupid meme that only people who don't actually program in lisp praise.

Seething C-boomer. In the future, new languages will be advertised as "As fast as Rust".

I can't imagine any of the faggots aggressively shilling rust are former C++ devs.
To me it seems like they're people who tried C or C++, were unable to understand how memory management or pointers in general work at all, and got scared.
That's the only explanation for how much they hype up how critical it is to hand all control of memory management off to the compiler.

also, most C++ devs are masochists with severe stockholm syndrome at this point, they wouldn't just abandon it like that

In the future there will be no rust because trannies will end up with suicides.

the people who wrote in c/c++ are exactly the same people who love Rust the most.

also looks you are the one who never wrote in any of these language, low IQ webdev

AGAIN Jow ForumsFAGS, give me a list of those """trannies""" who work on rust-core

it looks like that this board is full of Jow Forumstard low IQ NEETs and 14 year olds claiming to be adults.

what the fuck are you talking about nigger
the whole goddamned point of C++ is that it's a language that values developer freedom first, it doesn't care that bad devs leak memory, it doesn't care about bad devs at all
while rust is literally the opposite, a language designed around protecting retards from themselves
i use C++ and occasionally C, the concept of fighting against the compiler is repugnant to me, and probably every single other C++ dev
I know what I'm doing and don't need to be babied by some stupid fucking borrow checker

oh and i forgot to add this

Attached: 2019-06-16-174613.png (524x423, 10K)

>compile time memory safety
No. Safe blocks only protect you from pointer aliasing. Trusting Rust to be memory safe (especially when you fucks write everything in unsafe blocks) is the stupidest meme of all time.

Also it is extremely verbose and terrible to actually read. Rust should have been a preprocessor for C/C++, instead of trying to be it's own language.

Call me when it has memory fragmentation protection/handling and we can talk about it having a justified place as a safe language. Until then it's a really ugly C++ with a very pretentious fanbase.

This.

I am a recovering web developer who now does systems in Rust. From the developers who I know to work in C and C++ none of them would ever jump to Rust because they are by far too autistic to change anything in their routines (their words, not mine).

hey Steve, how you doing?

Attached: steve.jpg (400x400, 21K)

does...does rust not have standard for loops or post/pre increment/decrement operators?
Can you seriously not do i++?

no? I am a long time C dev and I hate rust
maybe go but not good in my field

Attached: 2019-06-16-175024.png (329x131, 11K)

wow, get me in the loop on this pl0x.

i++ is bad practice

Really wish they would add this.

The people who wrote in c/c++ are the only ones who would use rust in the first place, so your main source demographic is obviously going to be them.
That doesn't mean the majority of c/c++ devs would touch rust with a 20 foot pole because it doesn't solve ANY of the headaches of writing in those languages, and in fact makes a lot of the useful parts impossible.
People writing in pure C are likely working on gigantic legacy applications that have taken advantage of all kinds of C idiosyncrasies, which Rust explicit forbids. That means going from C to Rust would require an entire rewrite and restructuring, and often the performance of the application is directly structured around those abuses.
People writing in C++ won't want to move to Rust because it simply isn't feature complete, C++ offers way too many compile-time zero cost abstractions that are simply far too powerful for any serious sepples dev to give up.

Jesus. I like Ruby but the lack of those operators always irritated me. Why the fuck would they not include them?

Literally how?

>executes faster than C
biggest lie Rust shills still spread everyday

>no nulls
>elegant error handling
You got this point, it's more modern so it handles things in a more clever manner, but it's not the only one doing that

> memory safety
borrow checker clusterfuck

>no GC bloat
A GC is useful in non performance critical applications. Manual memory management costs time for a developer, which unemployed people crawling Jow Forums all day long cannot understand.

>0-cost abstractions
meme argument 'cause a lot of languages offer this nowadays, but quite true in the end

>fearless concurrency and parallelism
>no data races
worst thing about Rust, and the main reason why I won't use it in a real life project. Having to use Arc, RefCell, etc, all the time is frustrating.

"fearless" = no total freedom

I prefer the C++ policy, which will let a retard write a program that stops brutally because of errors, but will let a clever developer write concurrent algorithms 100% freely.

>based macros and DSL
macros might be Rust's best feature, but makes the code less readable IMHO

>traits, generics, closures, iterators, enums, sum types, pattern matching
great features, approved

>quality libs that don't exist in any other languages
Can't say the JVM ecosystem isn't complete and hasn't got quality libs too. We can say the same for the .NET community and a bunch of others too. But there are quality libs, you're right. A beautiful way of handling async programming (futures / promises) would be great though, but I think this is planned for future releases.

>takes the best features of OO and FP and leaves the rest
more imperative than functional in the end

>clean and comfy documenting and testing
true

>can be used anywhere from embedded systems to writing APIs and FOSS command line tools
people still use C/C++ and things like MicroPython though. I'd like to have an opinion on Rust from someone who works in embedded systems.

>Literally how?
post increment is not good for retards

Makes sense, why do noobs need to learn more operators?

The only explanation I can think of for saying they're bad practice is just "I am stupid". I can't fathom any other excuse.
>b-b-but it's not CLEAR!
arr[i++] = 1;
arr[++i] = 0;
is the same as
arr[i] = 1;
i = i + 1;
i = i + 1;
arr[i] = 0;

That's retarded.

Guys got a wife and kids but decide for yourself, former sun dev